• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

My girlfriend wants to watch me play this, decisions. Buy for PS4 or buy for Steam.

How do graphically intensive games handle over steam link over wire?

kc44135

No the best parts of the game are by a mile the set pieces. The village attack with multiple homes and traps all over to battle a huge horde and a crazy chainsaw guy. Being trapped in a garbage dump and a ton of enemies come out of the water and you need to navigate the room using all the traps available. The sniper battle in tower. Trying to save Kidman in the glass case while fighting off a ton of enemies. Lisa boss battle. Safe head boss battle. The incredible trap filled carnival room.

That kind of constant variety in setpieces and encounters is what you don't find in many games. Mikami is clearly the master of this, he understands how to make unique gameplay moments at a constant pace. But yes there was some janky stuff, some unkillable monsters, some moments where objectives are not clear.

Not sure what kind of game you think TEW, it's very much an action adventure horror game. It's not a hide and seek game, it's not a slow paced adventure. It was basically RE4 with more item management and more horror elements.

What?! Matches were like the most powerful weapon in the game. One shot to the leg, instant kill with match. Have a group coming at you, wait by a dead body, match, they all die. I was a match master.
Yeah, they were awesome. No Flash Bolts either. :(

So having seen a decent chunk of the game, the action has been improved, but also downscaled. More than the original game, this game is REALLY TIGHT on resources. I watched someone play on Normal difficulty and someone on Nightmare, and I was surprised how fucking tight this game is on ammo. The guy on normal kept running out of ammo with certain weapons, and the guy on Nightmare had several instances he got out of an encounter with literally no ammo for any weapons and no healing items. It's not an easy game, and resource management is a very serious part of the game.

The game is also quite a bit slower than the original game, or maybe more accurately it is stylized like the slower chapters of TEW1 like chapter 3, Chapter 7, Chapter 9, etc. Both players I watched had played the game for around 8 hours by the time reached Chapter 7 (the point they had to stop off). They did do side-quests in Chapter 3, and a lot happens...

To kind of explain, The Evil Within 2 is a lot more grounded than the original game, it's got a far more consistent setting even though it shifts and changes, there's actually back-tracking and returning to previous areas to unlock new parts of it now, and there's a wide variety of enemies. It's got it's action-full moments for sure, but it seems a lot more invested in its horror, adventure, and exploration elements to the original. I can 100% see why in one of these interviews they said The Evil Within 1 was more RE4 than RE1, and TEW2 is more RE1 than RE4. There's still a lot of set-piece moments, and they're actually very cool, but they lean far harder towards horror/exploration than they do action set-pieces, though there is the occasional action set-piece too.

Well how does full action moments work with super limited inventory? The reason old RE works is cause getting around the maze like areas with killer monsters everywhere is the gameplay thrill. Plotting your course, trying to stay alive till the next save room. Is TEW like that, or is it just open with enemies you have to avoid? Cause a big open space with a bunch of enemies I can't kill seems terrible.

SomTervo

My girlfriend wants to watch me play this, decisions. Buy for PS4 or buy for Steam.

How do graphically intensive games handle over steam link over wire?

Damn good in my experience. I was playing Hellblade: SS the other night and it was awesome.

Maybe not for twitch gaming experiences but this shouldn't be that.

bbd23

I've only watched the reveal trailer and now im getting super hyped. 3 days! have the entire weekend to enjoy it too.

Neptonic

I watched a stream today of Patrick Klepek from Waypoint play the first few hours and my impression of it is that this game is a fuckin weird thing

How all horror games should be.
I disagree. I was incredibly mad at the first TEW, near the end sections, where there was a boss that I had to fight with literally 6 pistol ammo. I play conservative as hell in these games. In TLoU and RE4 I never used my big guns until I was forced to and I always snuck around.

The first time I almost killed the boss with my crossbow bolts, but I died. No big deal right? Well I respawned and had no ammo left. I spent 40+ min fighting that thing with pistol bullets and a knife.

Maybe it was my fault or I had done something wrong but my manual save was 20+ min away too. Perhaps I'm just remembering wrong, but I felt real fucking mad that I was stuck and was almost forced to save scumm.

It turns me off the game if I ever have to do that BS again. I'll wait on more accurate GAF impressions. I enjoyed TEW though don't get me wrong. Up until endgame atleast.

Neptonic

It's not bad weird, it's interesting weird. It kinda looks like if Metal Gear Solid 5 and Silent Hill 2 had a child, along with all the crafting and ungrade stuff from TEW1. The way that side missions pop up on the radio scanner thing is cool, and there are strange scripted things that just happen while walking through the open area. I'm super interested in it now, because it is doing something different.

kodecraft

It's not bad weird, it's interesting weird. It kinda looks like if Metal Gear Solid 5 and Silent Hill 2 had a child, along with all the crafting and ungrade stuff from TEW1. The way that side missions pop up on the radio scanner thing is cool, and there are strange scripted things that just happen while walking through the open area. I'm super interested in it now, because it is doing something different.

What about it looks like MGSV to you? That's my game of the gen so far...and I only wished this 'kinda looked like' the Fox engine.

RRockman

Banned
Yeah but that's always the risk with these type of resource management games. At the extreme worse case scenario you still have a knife.

That being said, I'm fairly certain there are hidden mechanics to tip things in your favor- like the game reading that you're running out of ammo and increasing the chance of enemies dropping them.

Nah, matches were relatively plentiful.

You can also light up a haystack and kick them at the enemy.

Matches were my top 3 resource conserving options.

The fun part is that this could be canon.

Lily is just helping dear old dad out with some ammo lol.

Yeah but that's always the risk with these type of resource management games. At the extreme worse case scenario you still have a knife.

That being said, I'm fairly certain there are hidden mechanics to tip things in your favor- like the game reading that you're running out of ammo and increasing the chance of enemies dropping them.

I'd like to believe that's the case - since during my TEW playthrough I was always impressed with that fact that I felt I never had too much ammo. It really did feel like the game had some background RNG going on. I felt like I always had just enough to scrape by using the crossbow when I was out of shotgun ammo and having to switch up weapons during encounters.

But, I've got a pretty terrible aim so I might have ran out of more ammo than most people.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

If Survival is a cake walk, should play nightmare. Okay, so Casual, Survival, and Nightmare in this game are actually REALLY different to each other. For the record, and here's an example, the Prima Guide shows that the Lost basic 'punch/swipe' attack does 12 damage on Casual, 30 damage on Survival, and 45 damage on Nightmare. And most damage output is changed like this for all attacks, Casual's damage output is a bit less than half the damage put out on Survival, and the attacks on Nightmarel are about 150% stronger than they are on Survival. Add to this items are a bit scarcer on higher difficulties, there's more enemies and enemy events on higher difficulties (there's this one scene in specific which an enemy will burst through a door, but it only happens on Nightmare difficulty, not Casual or Survival, and there's several other points enemies are added on Nightmare, and taken away on Casual), and various other things like Casual starts with some upgrades already unlocked from the start and Nightmare has some tougher bosses with some new tricks they don't have on easier difficulties.

I do think if you want the 'best' horror experience to play on Nightmare, even the difficulty screen tells you to play Nightmare if you liked the Survival difficulty in the TEW1. But in some ways I think it seems harder, in part because resources are scarcer. Though in other ways it may be easier, as there's also far fewer enemies with a one-hit kill attack now for example (more than zero, but they're a lot rarer now).

I think honestly how they advertise it is good; Casual for who are bad at games/want to experience the story (it's not a cakewalk still, but is much easier and more forgiving), Normal for the average consumer (though it may be harder than the average gamer is used to, but not so much so), and Nightmare for horror game buffs (ad people who want to be challenged and enjoy being strategic with lower resources and tougher situations). None of the difficulties seemed unfair, but they seem at least well advised in trying to provide an appealing experience for different kinds of audiences.

It could happen and actually ended up happening in one boss fight with the player who played on Nightmare where he ran out of all ammo during a boss fight and barely scooted by with just his knife at the end to get the final few hits in. You can craft on the fly with weapon parts (but that means less to upgrade guns with), though one saving grace here is the game does keep a 'log' of saves so if you get absolutely stuck there's both personal saves you've made to return to and you can reload from like, the last five checkpoints you've reached as well.

Keep in mind this game is a Mikami game, gunplay is still a big part. For instance there's more than one of every weapon, I've seen three different handguns you can get fairly early for example (one of them even has a laser sight). I also will add there's a location I won't speak in-depth about called the Marrow which is kind of a connecting point you return to that you slowly unlock over the game to access new parts of Union. You can also return to the Marrow and transverse it to get to previous parts of the game if you want to go scavenging or do stuff there. The Evil Within 2 actually has a consistent world layout like RE1 or RE2 or the like, and the reality shifts are often more these set-piece moments and first-time visit things, but after you complete a major area there is a 'final form' of the location you can freely explore once it's been stabilized (but even in the stabilized versions, there's these very abstract and strange things).

And the honest answer is some combination, okay so for the record the game DOES NOT have infinitely spawning enemies in the Hub World, if you clear an area in the hub world of enemies, the enemies are dead for good (unless some story event happens and new ones come in). The enemies in the hub world are actually NOT randomly generated or anything, they're intentionally designed to be there and set and don't respawn or anything. I think some people when they hear open world think it means the game lacks design, but TEW2 is weird in that it's still rather 'designed' in even the open areas. It really is quite a bit like Silent Hill 1's town segments, since it behaves very similar to those, just with side-quests kind of like Downpour's where you stumble upon areas you can explore/mysteries to partake in.

Then on-top of this, there's areas with far more connected to them that you return to a few times and unlock more of the location. Here's a screencap of one such area:

11c10095040a438418f0c086222cabcc.png

(this map is also only of one floor of this area, this area has three different floors. Also, there's maps of all the locations in TEW2 now).

There are actually pretty large interconnecting areas you do have to plan your route out for, actually.

Oh shit, this world layout looks straight old school resident evil.

rtcn63

Been staying off the boards to avoid spoilers, but I couldn't help watch the first few minutes of the game

The Evil Within 2 |OT| Man on Fire

don't act like you don't know Denzel

I’m glad they added a map. The first game didn’t need it due to the linearity, but the new more open areas should benefit quite well from it.

And thanks Dusk for the write up. I think I’ll go with Survival the first time around. Should be good to get my bearings. I’ll probably jump straight to Classic after, like I did with Akumu in the first game, then dial it back to Nightmare on repeat playthroughs in case Classic ends up too annoying to replay beyond getting the trophy and/or unlockables.

Perineum

Damn this game is going to be epic just thinking about this map. I've been on spoiler free mode aside from the official trailers.

A map though and the sprawling areas? Fuck. The world building will be through the roof, atmosphere in spades, gameplay will be top notch, and if the story pans out then this will be my GOTY easily.

So ready to play this at 10PM on Friday with headphones in the dark.

Gbraga

If Survival is a cake walk in the original for you, should play nightmare. Okay, so Casual, Survival, and Nightmare in this game are actually REALLY different to each other. For the record, and here's an example, the Prima Guide shows that the Lost basic 'punch/swipe' attack does 12 damage on Casual, 30 damage on Survival, and 45 damage on Nightmare. And most damage output is changed like this for all attacks, Casual's damage output is a bit less than half the damage put out on Survival, and the attacks on Nightmarel are about 150% stronger than they are on Survival. Add to this items are a bit scarcer on higher difficulties, there's more enemies and enemy events on higher difficulties (there's this one scene in specific which an enemy will burst through a door, but it only happens on Nightmare difficulty, not Casual or Survival, and there's several other points enemies are added on Nightmare, and taken away on Casual), and various other things like Casual starts with some upgrades already unlocked from the start and Nightmare has some tougher bosses with some new tricks they don't have on easier difficulties.

I do think if you want the 'best' horror experience to play on Nightmare, even the difficulty screen tells you to play Nightmare if you liked the Survival difficulty in the TEW1. But in some ways I think it seems harder, in part because resources are scarcer. Though in other ways it may be easier, as there's also far fewer enemies with a one-hit kill attack now for example (more than zero, but they're a lot rarer now).

This made Nightmare sound so cool that it actually made me decide to play on Survival the first time through. It'll be fun as hell to get these surprise events when I thought I was safe.

hzsn724

Can't wait for this. Ran through the first game again and I absolutely loved it. I thought I wouldn't be able to get back into it after beating it around the time it came out, (lots of pain from enemies haha) but I fell right in.

I'm going to have to seriously sell some organs this month with this, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Shadow of War.

Anyone feels sorry that you wont be buying this game tomorrow?

I'm so busy and I still need to play Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen and beat it at-least once before I buy a new game :(

dugdug

Banned
Anyone feels sorry that you wont be buying this game tomorrow?

I'm so busy and I still need to play Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen and beat it at-least once before I buy a new game :(

Kinda, but, I’m more worried that it’s bad considering how Bethesda’s just kinda farting it out.

Kinda, but, I’m more worried that it’s bad considering how Bethesda’s just kinda farting it out.

It’s not like Prey and Dishonored 2 were bad, and they had barely any fanfare, especially Prey.

Bethesda doesn’t care to market anything that isn’t Fallout or TES it feels like, and those franchises are popular enough to market themselves really. Only reason Wolf II is being seemingly pushed is because somehow the whole Nazi thing is relevant in 2017, and they’re trying to capitalize on that.

I wonder if I should pick this up on console or wait until I upgrade my GPU (stuck w/ an RX 460, FreeSync monitor). I'm convinced custom Vega cards are never coming out haha

Top Bottom