• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 releases in 2 days

Scrawnton

"Purchasing a resold key" refers to the customer purchasing the key being resold, not the reseller making the initial purchase of the key.
But the reseller already purchased the key off the publisher. Either way, you are buying something that the publisher/developer already received money for. The publishers and developers already got their sales and cash, now cdkeys is selling what they bought to other people. I don't think it's that complicated. Its no different than going to Walmart and buying the digital keys that are on the shelf. If it's different than that I'd like to know.

CryptiK

"Purchasing a resold key" refers to the customer purchasing the key being resold, not the reseller making the initial purchase of the key.
It doesn't matter, there is NO SALE LOST and because of this for each sale the publisher has made money and a sale. This is literally how retail works, you cannot seriously say they dont get a sale from retail. If anything it can work out better for the pub if they over buy and dont sell all the keys.

SomTervo

But the reseller already purchased the key off the publisher. Either way, you are buying something that the publisher/developer already received money for. The publishers and developers already got their sales and cash, now cdkeys is selling what they bought to other people. I don't think it's that complicated. Its no different than going to Walmart and buying the digital keys that are on the shelf. If it's different than that I'd like to know.

It's different because the keys were often bought from different economies where the key would be marketed at a far lower price, or (IIRC) from promotions like graphics cards, which means the publisher would have received a fraction of the money compared with if you bought from Steam or some other direct purchase marketplace.

They absolutely still get money (unless it's a dodgy/criminal site) it's just a fraction of a full POS purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I understand that publishers receive a cut when a reseller or physical retailer purchases copies of a game from a distributor. I've said as much more than once since this discussion kicked off.

It doesn't matter, there is NO SALE LOST. This is literally how retail works, you cannot seriously say they dont get a sale from retail. If anything it can work out better for the pub if they over buy and dont sell all the keys.

Well, that's arguable given the nuts and bolts of digital distribution and the overwhelming preference for it on the PC, but let's just ignore that wrinkle for the sake of discussion and see if we can get on the same page:

My intent with the "buying used" comparison earlier was to clarify that, when purchasing from CD Keys, your transaction does not generate revenue for the publisher. You insist that the comparison is invalid because, unlike keys, used copies of games can themselves be resold. I agree with that, but the comparison was made within the context of transactional revenue. I think it's valid within that context. You don't ("It simply doesn't hold up at all"). Why?

Edit: Since we're on a new page, allow me to clarify that I didn't choose "buying used" because I decided against "buying from a physical retailer". It was simply the first thing that popped into my head and it felt appropriate considering CD Keys sells keys taken from physical stock. In hindsight, I should have given it more thought and went with the latter, but I don't think the former, although certainly not perfect for the reason stated above, is an ill fit given the established context.

Paragon

Do we know when this unlocks on Steam? I'm just seeing "13th October 2017" but no countdown.
Wondering if it's going to be a "midnight in your region" unlock (hopefully!) or some random time on the 13th.

No developer or publisher sees a cent from a resold key. It's the digital equivalent of buying used.
No, it's the digital equivalent of buying a retail game.
With physical retail, the retailers buy stock in bulk from distributors, who bought that stock from the publisher.
Key sellers like CD Keys buy stock in bulk from distributors, who bought that stock from the publisher.

Once a key has been purchased and activated on Steam, it cannot be resold - so there is no used market like we have with physical copies of the game.
The publisher got their money for every single key that sites like CD Keys have sold - which is not the case with used games.
With storefronts like Steam and "authorized" resellers, keys come directly from the publisher rather than a distributor - which puts them and the people buying the games at a disadvantage.
With physical retail or key reselling, you have physical goods that have been purchased which need to be sold. Stores set the prices and have to compete for your money.
It's a far better situation for the consumer, since you now have a choice in who you are buying from.

It's different because the keys were often bought from different economies where the key would be marketed at a far lower price, or (IIRC) from promotions like graphics cards, which means the publisher would have received a fraction of the money compared with if you bought from Steam or some other direct purchase marketplace.
Keys can be - and often are - region locked to prevent this.
Other than people selling their own personal keys on sites like eBay, I don't think I've seen anywhere selling promotional keys in bulk.

vg260

Really torn on picking this up at release as I expect a huge discount at Black Friday. If I recall correctly, the original was on sale for $20-25 on BF a month after launch. I'd be getting it on PC so the CDkeys price is already lower, but even they might have a sale. How long do they usually stock games?

JaseC

Here's a countdown timer:

t1507820400z0.png

Mifec

Strange, the image on that blog indicates that it's going to be a "midnight in your region" unlock.

Either that or it unlocks at midday - but I suspect that whoever made that image doesn't understand 24-hour time. (00:01 would be 12:01 AM, not "12:01")

The timer is for when you can unlock it with a Australian VPN.

JaseC

Strange, the image on that blog indicates that it's going to be a "midnight in your region" unlock.

Either that or it unlocks at midday - but I suspect that whoever made that image doesn't understand 24-hour time. (00:01 would be 12:01 AM, not "12:01")

The console versions will unlock at midnight on a per-country basis as that process is automatic on PSN and XBL, while Bethesda will have to oversee the PC version itself, which is why the schedule is broken down into three different regions, each with their own time. Judging from Bethesda's rolling unlock history, NA = the Americas in general, EU = the entirety of Europe and Aus = Australia, New Zealand and Asia. (I'm not sure where Africa sits. With Europe, maybe.) "Aus" will get the game first and 12:01am JST is what the countdown timer above is ticking down to.

Edit: Bah, I really suck at typing tonight.

Edit edit: Apparently, Bethesda doesn't acknowledge Africa at all, which essentially means it's lumped in with "NA" as 9pm PT is when the game's general release state will change to "released".

Was so looking forward to this but the usual GAF hype blocker i will be missing out on this. Atmosphere and town looks like a dream horror game. But more negative than positive on here ill have to hold off from purchasing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm really interested in the game but I'm ashamed to say I'll be waiting until some good Black Friday deals come up :(

budgeting and generally not wanting to pay full $60 for it.

JaseC

it will say on the store page for the game. Yes it will work worldwide.

That can change once CD Keys receives its stock as prior that it's just guessing, but:

A) CD Keys has already received its stock, and
B) In this case, only Chinese and Eastern European keys are region-locked (activation and activation + runtime, respectively)

SomTervo

Keys can be - and often are - region locked to prevent this.

And they can be, and often are, NOT region locked. IIRC Steam keys from anywhere in Europe work if your Steam account is European - so if you use CDKeys to buy a code it could be from Ukraine which has a very different economic status to, say, the UK.

I'm not fully hating on it because, especially for sites like CDKeys, it is literally all above board and legal. It just means your giving less money to the creators when they need your local RRP to make the investments worth while.

JaseC

IIRC Steam keys from anywhere in Europe work if your Steam account is European

It depends entirely on the package. Restrictions are implemented at the country level and publishers are free to configure the list as they see fit. E.g. If you had a key tied to this TEW2 package, you couldn't activate it in, say, Italy.

Speaking of keys, as the tangential topic of the relationship between key resellers and publishers seems to have to come to an end, I'd like to apologise for the derailment. It wasn't my intention for the back-and-forth in which I was engaged to displace the actual topic of the thread.

t1gerjaw

Fucking cdkeys cancelled my order. I'm so pissed right now.
I used my sister's credit card and they wanted a photo with the credit card and a written note.
My sister lives in Australia and is sleeping right now, so the stupid ass support decided to cancel it and refund her.

Blitzhex

I used my sister's credit card and they wanted a photo with the credit card and a written note.
My sister lives in Australia and is sleeping right now, so the stupid ass support decided to cancel it and refund her.

They were asking for a photo of my ID as well, after paying with my mastercard and going through master card verification and cdkeys sms verification as well, lol. Told em to piss off. There's a lot of other places where you can buy it.

Paragon

And they can be, and often are, NOT region locked. IIRC Steam keys from anywhere in Europe work if your Steam account is European - so if you use CDKeys to buy a code it could be from Ukraine which has a very different economic status to, say, the UK.
I'm not fully hating on it because, especially for sites like CDKeys, it is literally all above board and legal. It just means your giving less money to the creators when they need your local RRP to make the investments worth while.
The point is that publishers have the option to region-lock games if they want to offer regional pricing and prevent those copies being resold outside of that region.
There are RU/CIS-only keys for Steam. Publishers are not limited to designating a price for "Europe" as a whole, so it is easily prevented.

And this kind-of circles around into piracy discussions too, since it equates sales from key sellers to lost revenue, while it's likely that they would lose more from lost sales than they convert over to full-price purchases if it was not an option.
Those are early sales too, which are arguably more important for the developers than people who wait 6+ months for the price to drop to that level on Steam.

They were asking for a photo of my ID as well, after paying with my mastercard and going through master card verification and cdkeys sms verification as well, lol. Told em to piss off. There's a lot of other places where you can buy it.
Since they are assuming the risk here, they are rightfully cautious about people's first purchases with them. Location may be a factor as well.
Perhaps they go a bit overboard, but it's not like authorized sites where they can invalidate/revoke a key and claim a replacement from the publisher if it was a fraudulent purchase.

Top Bottom