• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East In-Game Trailer

braves01

Banned
It looks like a good psychological horror game, and if it also comes out on last gen consoles, even better (for me, at least).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really hope that trailer was last gen, because compared to the ~12 minute gameplay video they released before it looks significantly worse.

The game seems really interesting in its own right though.

You got me on PC.

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah great game, still ruined the series though.

No, it didn't ruin any series. If by series you mean the first one then 4 only ruined the camera placement because the tone of RE had already changed with 2. RE set this tone because it was limited by it's hardware, then it changed again and then it had a full makeover being in a more powerful platform with 4.

RE 4 is possibly the best RE and one of the best games of all time. If anything ruined RE then it has to be 5 that blatantly tried to be a RE 4 clone but failed utterly because it had no soul of it's own.

About the Evil Within now, I love the atmosphere but I'm on the 'looks last gen' camp. I hope PS4 or PC will be looking better.

hal9001

Banned
Wasn't there rumours based on the leaked concept art that the asylum part of the game is only the initial area and the game expands to other locations?

FWFtcRa.jpg

ron_bato

Now that is how you do atmosphere!

Do you people who complain about graphics and nothing else even like video games?

I was very excited for the atmosphere, and dug the vibe they were going for. I'm still very hyped for this game, and hoping it turns out well because I need more horror games in my life.

That being said, those rough textures stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't usually pay attention to these things too much, but I have to admit, some of that was really bad. hopefully that was the ps3/360 version.

Endo Punk

I feel bad graphics lend themselves perfectly to horror games, not saying this game looks hideous like most are but it certainly isn't a looker, animation could have been done better though. Not that any of it really bothers me because 60fps, need more engines that prioritise smooth gameplay over graphics. Getting on PS4 day 1 for sure.

-MD-

No, it didn't ruin any series. If by series you mean the first one then 4 only ruined the camera placement because the tone of RE had already changed with 2. RE set this tone because it was limited by it's hardware, then it changed again and then it had a full makeover being in a more powerful platform with 4.

RE 4 is possibly the best RE and one of the best games of all time. If anything ruined RE then it has to be 5 that blatantly tried to be a RE 4 clone but failed utterly because it had no soul of it's own.

By series I mean the Resident Evil series. It was at one point a survival horror game if you can believe it.

Also the best RE is easily Remake. It's flawless.

It's not a very good game graphically, and I really hope all that footage was taken from the PS360 version, but other than that... this shit looks nuts! In the best possible way. That trailer hints at some really crazy stuff going down.

KoopaTheCasual

Oh, of course, the age old argument that if you care about graphics, you can't care about anything else. Sure.
It's very very difficult to glean that when a post offers nothing but a graphical complaint, Stu.

That's what I'm getting at. Strictly rhetorical since I know you all care about video games or else you wouldn't be here. But I feel this habit of "only" talking about the graphics gets to devs, since many of them clearly surf gaf, and they start to believe that we value pretty stuff above all else.

Grief.exe

From what I understood 60fps is hardwired into the engine, so it should run at 60fps on all platforms.

That looks significantly better than what last gen can produce at 60 FPS then, might be PS4/XB1 footage.

I will watch again, but the IQ, clarity at distance, textures, resolution all looks very good for last-gen.

EDIT: Watched again, the textures are pretty poor in areas but that is a ID5 mega texture staple (assuming it is similar to Rage). The clarity at distance is generally what I look for to spot the differences between last-gen/current-gen/PC and it was quite good overall. I rarely saw any aliasing either.

Analysis: 60 FPS/1080P/AA/Clarity this is probably current-gen footage.

-MD-

That looks significantly better than what last gen can produce at 60 FPS then, might be PS4/XB1 footage.

I will watch again, but the IQ, clarity at distance, textures, resolution all looks very good for last-gen.

Some of the textures definitely scream last gen but overall the game isn't as ugly as some folks in here are claiming, there's no way the game in that video is running on an xbox 360 at 60 frames.

I'll eat a goddamn crow if it is.

Lernaean

Banned
By series I mean the Resident Evil series. It was at one point a survival horror game if you can believe it.

Also the best RE is easily Remake. It's flawless.

That's why i said possibly. Remake and 4 are on an eternal struggle for the first place for years now as far as i am concerned, i'm just saying that RE stopped being horror with 2, the first one being the only survival horror game and all the other were horror-action with a little sci-fi.

Some of the textures definitely scream last gen but overall the game isn't as ugly as some folks in here are claiming, there's no way the game in that video is running on an xbox 360 at 60 frames.

Rage ran at 60fps on PS360.

Duxxy3

uh... is this the gamecube version?

some of these textures... i don't even know if they are PS3/360 level

animation also seems jerky

still, it's not like there's anything else coming out in the summer, so it's still day 1

EL CUCO

Wolfenstein is said to be 60fps on all versions, PS3 + 360 included. That game seems more graphically demanding and its way more fast paced. Its using the same engine.

Majanew

Banned
It's very very difficult to glean that when a post offers nothing but a graphical complaint, Stu.

That's what I'm getting at. Strictly rhetorical since I know you all care about video games or else you wouldn't be here. But I feel this habit of "only" talking about the graphics gets to devs, since many of them clearly surf gaf, and they start to believe that we value pretty stuff above all else.

Well, it's a videogame and the graphics are the first thing you see and I'll be seeing the graphics the entire time I'm playing it, now won't I? And the graphics are pretty bad -- if that's PS4/XB1 footage. If this was a non-AAA game from an indie, like Outlast, I'd be more forgiving. Getting better graphics with new and more powerful hardware is one of the exciting parts of getting... new and more powerful hardware.

Wow, I'm not a graphic whore but it certainly looks not good and the fps is quite horrible as well. Hopefully we can get 60 fps on PC.

Ninjimbo

That looked good regardless of what version it was. It was disturbing in all the ways I want it to be for a horror game. I'm officially on board now.

Graphics look really rough, way worse than the last trailer. I guess this is 360 /PS3 footage.

Evil Within is crossgen game, this trailer looked like it was captured from old consoles.

Here's how the nextgen version looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MMKhoHl9BnE#t=180

Much better texture work.

Well it's running on idTech 5. Wolfenstein suffers from the same problems.

Looks alright. I don't understand why they chose a last-gen version for this trailer.. the textures/shadows were terribad.

Looks too good for last gen and pretty rough for current gen.

I don't believe this is last-gen footage, because I don't think Bethesda would deliberately show a poorer version in a trailer. It looks a little too good for a last-gen release, and pretty rough for current-gen in my opinion.

Ignoring all that though the actual content looks good; a cross between psychological horror and demonic physical horror.

Good catch!

i1gHl0eIibgoR.png

I thought he was referring to the blonde guy turning his head at 0:47, just like the first zombie Jill and Barry encounter in Resi 1.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ah, I was just looking at the streaming option and only 720p was available at the time. I see the 1080p stream now.
I see. I had planned an adding a grayed out quality option when it's not done encoding yet, I guess I should work on that then :)

Miguel81

I hope Mikami hasn't lost the magic touch. I'm not the biggest fan of the Amnesia-style, and need a good ol' Survival Horror.

Top Bottom