• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC Info from Bethesda

So if you're playing a side scrolling game and they black out the majority of the picture for artistic intent (dark room, dream, I dunno) you would rather disable that?

I don't even know what you're talking about it sounds like your example might have in-game context, so I would probably not disable it, if it were even possible to disable. It seems like you're describing "fog of war" type of stuff in rts games, which is for challenge and to simulate your units not knowing what's there until they get closer or discovered that part of the land, which I'm fine with.

Unless you give me a game where my character is supposed to be wearing a welder's mask, I will turn 2:35:1 aspect ratio bars off.

Edit: Wait. Actually no, even with the welder's mask game I will turn it off, but on account of that being a stupid way of designing a character for a first person game.

ricki42

Sure but the point was it does accomplish a certain look or feel.

While I myself would prefer 60fps options in all PC games, I do sometimes feel like the aesthetics of PC game video options are a bit weird. It's like if a great director went to a lot of trouble framing shots, lightening them in a certain way, carefully picking the type of film and cameras to use, and then viewers all complain that they should be able to adjust all these features. There is something to be said for an auteur's vision. And stuff like higher anti-aliasing, fps, antiscopic filtering, etc does objectively change the look and feel of games. I'm not sure I agree that how a game looks and feels should always be up to the end user to adjust Or at least I'm not willing to carte blanche adopt the argument that these elements that change the look and feel should always be demanded to be left up to the end user.

That analogy doesn't really work; with a film, the audience will experience it pretty much as the director intended (assuming it's at a cinema, and even on TV, the variation is relatively small).
On PC, the range of hardware that the game has to accomodate is far larger, so there have to be options to be flexible. I would suspect that usually the developers' 'vision' is everything maxxed out; lack of anti-aliasing isn't an artistic statement, it's a requirement to run on older hardware. If the artist wants that particular look, they can and will still create it through the art style.

I like shiny baubles as much as the next guy but the general emphasis people put on this stuff is rather extreme and shallow in my opinion. I'm not avoiding reading a book by my favorite author because I don't like the font or paper quality or skipping a film by a director I love because it isn't offered in imax 3D or true Doby digital or something. Why should games be different?

Call me shallow, but stuff like this will make the difference between whether I watch the film at a cinema when it is released or later when it's on Netflix. Same for games.

I don't think that's how it works. It was due to animations being tied to frames.

What? The reason those issues existed in the shipped game was because they were never dealt with since they locked the game to 30 fps. If they took the time to unlock the framerate or at least, allow it of run at 60 fps, they would have encountered the issues and fixed them in ways that someone hacking the compiled code could not.

inky

I really don't. Please explain to me why aesethetics matter so much more in videogames than other mediums to the point where it is worth dismissing the value of the actual content and it's merits because video option settings. Indeed that seems pretty close to as persnickety to me as objecting to the paratextual framing of books.

At the very least it seems to me that an outsider, someone who wasn't a game enthusiast, would hear someone's argument that they dismissed a videgame as worth playing because of the video options menu didn't offer things they wanted to be a pretty weird reason to dismiss a game, likely no more weird to them than someone who wouldn't read a book because of the paper quality or font..

You gotta be joking dude. You can't make a 1 to 1 comparison between the font and paper in a book and the variety of option settings in an interactive, audiovisual medium. Settings, that in many cases come closely related to content, and sometimes are actual content, like disabling lights in a game that relies on light and shadows to create some effect or even gameplay options. In a text, the words are the content all the time. And yes, sometimes the paratext can be closely related and required to properly experience the book, like (but not limited to) old hand made books that feature art and graphics and adornments and tons of other stuff. Annotated and commentated volumes, etc. Even then, and just to humor you, if the words are blurry and unreadable they might actually affect your capacity to discern them and have a good reading experience. I'm pretty sure even you would go mad trying to read Proust in some exotic and elaborate font. But then again, it's a fucking stupid comparison in the first place! And it's hardly equivalent to the issue at hand.

I also never said anything about outright dismissing ALL CONTENT in the videogame down to some of the settings that are being discussed. I'm referring in particular to your flawed comparison between 2 things that are experienced completely differently.

If you really are so dense you can't see that I'm not gonna waste more of my time explaining it to you.

legacyzero

Banned
I was totally going to buy this on PC. Now I'm gonna wait until it's out, and see what everyone says. I'm a bit concerned.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It will break my heart if this game turns out awesome AAA hot fire sexy time and my 2gb vram cant play it worth shit. It means i am probably going to be out another 60 bucks getting it for ps4.

It will break my heart if this game turns out awesome AAA hot fire sexy time and my 2gb vram cant play it worth shit. It means i am probably going to be out another 60 bucks getting it for ps4.

Man...

It's for that possibility alone that I haven't canceled my Steam order and received a refund. I feel I can deal with 30FPS as long as it's a solid 30 with no drops and the game is amazing/fun.

Daingurse

How can you say it wasnt true for Mordor?

I play on max everything with ultra textures and I've seen my vram hit almost 6gb ( I have a titan (

I've tried playing with ultra textures on my 970, and you can feel the memory swapping happening, causes a very obvious stutter, even when I tried a 30fps lock. So not really sure what he meant, requirements are legit for that setting.

Anyway on-topic, after Grief's thread, I figured it would go down like this. C-Boat simply drove the final nail in the coffin. This is very disappointing, having a 30fps lock on a PC game is unacceptable. It wouldn't stop me from playing it--I'd use a gamepad to compensate--but I can see this being a deal breaker. I probably will wait for a deep discount, and enjoy it on my TV with a 360 controller.

killatopak

Seems to me that Nvidia and AMD need to step up the memory in their GPUs. No way I'm gonna buy a new GPU right now when it seems that all the recent games will need a lots of RAM.

hittman

Banned
So do devs just not give a shit about compressing audio/textures anymore, or are these stupid download sizes just an attempt to thwart piracy?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So do devs just not give a shit about compressing audio/textures anymore, or are these stupid download sizes just an attempt to thwart piracy?

Nah, definitely needed for the game. Just the nature of megatextures really enlarges file sizes cause textures arent re-used. Also if there are pre-rendered fmv in the game that wont help.

Neiteio

Same here. Only I'll be out $460 buying the game for PS4 -and- buying the PS4 itself.

Hopefully I can just play it well on my PC.

Renekton

That's a result of having to "hack" 60 fps. IF the game was natively 60 fps or higher it would have played better and we wouldn't have had those bugs.
Not true. Getting reliable physics on different screen refresh is a big technical challenge, regardless of which timestep method you use.

Not true. Getting reliable physics on different screen refresh is a big technical challenge, regardless of which timestep method you use.

Yes an insurmountable challenge. No wonder there are so few games with unlocked framerates. Dark Souls HAD to be 30 fps, it wasn't a matter of the lack of effort put towards the port.

The Hermit

Except for that part where it breaks important stuff about the game, like when sliding down ladders you can fall through the ground or the game will glitch out when you try to restore your humanity before the bonfire animation finishes playing, and it makes your jump and roll shorter, among other things.

I didn't knew that, except for the ladder bug but I didn't though it was because of the framerate. Still, I can't go back now.

Renekton

Yes an insurmountable challenge. No wonder there are so few games with unlocked framerates. Dark Souls HAD to be 30 fps, it wasn't a matter of the lack of effort put towards the port.
DS series is weird, it used Havok so logically should have an easier time with interpolation or accumulation.

There are glitches though, mainly the bonfire glitch

I played through Dark Souls a few times at 60 fps. The only issues I encountered were that you would occasional slide through the ground when sliding down ladders and your jump distance was slightly shorter. The 30fps toggle for the few spots that needed it was a great addition to DSFix. All in all, it was a pretty great experience.

What was the bonfire glitch?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I played through Dark Souls a few times at 60 fps. The only issues I encountered were that you would occasional slide through the ground when sliding down ladders and your jump distance was slightly shorter. The 30fps toggle for the few spots that needed it was a great addition to DSFix. All in all, it was a pretty great experience.

What was the bonfire glitch?

Sometimes you cant leave a bonfire even after pressing the option on the menu, and since the menu disappears you are forced to reset the game.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Seriously this is ok, been saying it all along current pc would not hold up for very long. Pc runs at much higher rez and quality + pc ports need 2x-5x the speed of the consoles.

I for one welcome the 8 gig video cards... next upgrade I'm doing ;)!

The PS4 and Xbox One both have 8 GB of unified RAM which can be used as both system and video memory. Because our PC version is functionally identical to those platforms, we recommend 4 GB of system memory, and 4 GB of VRAM for the best experience.

Can I run it on a card with less than 4 gigs of VRAM?

Yes. Please refer to the minimum requirements above. You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

This is complete shit. Yes the PS4 and XB1 have 8GB unified ram but only 5GB if I remember correct is usable for games. There should be NO reason that people with only 2gb cards cant play this at 1080p.

Seeing these images a lot in the past few days:
YPWLbYr.jpg

hzwNuJl.jpg

dTzCdHO.jpg

The PS4 and Xbox One both have 8 GB of unified RAM which can be used as both system and video memory. Because our PC version is functionally identical to those platforms, we recommend 4 GB of system memory, and 4 GB of VRAM for the best experience.

Can I run it on a card with less than 4 gigs of VRAM?

Yes. Please refer to the minimum requirements above. You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game.

This is complete shit. Yes the PS4 and XB1 have 8GB unified ram but only 5GB if I remember correct is usable for games. There should be NO reason that people with only 2gb cards cant play this at 1080p.

The argument of them is a bit shoddy, since yes, they can only use 5.5 GB. However, you also run an OS and such on your PC and likely some other applications, so you are going to need more RAM than only the game needs.

We don't really know how much VRAM they are using on consoles, but maybe they just use something like 3.2 GB of VRAM or whatever and then you need 4GB GPUs to run it.

TnK

How will a GTX 580 in SLI fare with this game?

Won't be surprised if I can run everything on ultra minus the textures.

Doczu

am i the only one who smiled when i read about cheats that can be typed in the console? It's like 15 years ago!

TnK

idTech 5 is so amazing, that it does not support multi-GPU.
I actually laughed at this, thanks.

A 580 is above minimum requirements. Don't think you can SLI.
Also a response to the above reply, but I think a single card is more than enough for this game excluding the textures. Only ID Tech 5 game I ran was Rage, and that ran extremely smooth.

noomi

I'm a little confused on what will actually require 4GB of VRAM?

Is there ultra textures like shadow of mordor that you will need 4gb textures?

They said you won't be able to play at 1080p with less than 4gb... wth

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm a little confused on what will actually require 4GB of VRAM?

Is there ultra textures like shadow of mordor that you will need 4gb textures?

They said you won't be able to play at 1080p with less than 4gb... wth

From another thread:

MegaTextures can be up to 128k and 128k in size and this doesn't come cheap. The draw of the tech is that that an entire level becomes a blank canvas for artists and the memory footprint is low compared to texturing the level with a similar amount of unique detail using the traditional method, however the downside, as many have noted, is that for the textures to breath they need a lot of space -- even 50GB isn't quite enough for a game with many different locations, as evidenced by Wolf14's slightly uneven texture quality.

Wolf14 forcibly disables the maximum texture cache setting if it detects a GPU with less than 3GB VRAM. Judging from what Bethesda has said, though, it seems the texture cache setting for TEW won't exist and will instead be a fixed value.

Top Bottom