• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Honestly, indifferent about Hamilton but otherwise pretty happy with how the results panned out. Stoked, in fact! No Webs on podium, but at least his start wasn't to blame :D

I hope Ferrari still think they need to drastically improve the car.
False sense of security. Guarantee it.

John_B

Hamilton got murdered in the pits again. Perez was catching Alonso, shame he couldn't overtake him.

There will be more unexpected results because of the new tyres.

cilonen

Lewis still isn't "right" on a Sunday; Perez and Senna had great drives today - no bonus this year for the Sauber guy shouting in Perez' ear at the critical moment.

Massa was awful again and McLaren seemed to hamstring Button "you have to stay on these tyres" ... pits 5 laps later ... instantly fastest man on track at that time; then not switchng him to slicks a couple of laps earlier than Ricciardo eventually did.

Perez to replace Massa before or after the Italian GP?

Omiee

You're wonderfully bitter :lol those tears

lol wut im pissed at that end to the race, vettel was pushing and was withing 2.6 second to hamilton.

a podium was within grasp.

anyhow no doubt it was an amazing race by perez and you cant denie alonso was flying when he took the lead.

Shaneus

Lewis still isn't "right" on a Sunday; Perez and Senna had great drives today - no bonus this year for the Sauber guy shouting in Perez' ear at the critical moment.

Massa was awful again and McLaren seemed to hamstring Button "you have to stay on these tyres" ... pits 5 laps later ... instantly fastest man on track at that time; then not switchng him to slicks a couple of laps earlier than Ricciardo eventually did.

Perez to replace Massa before or after the Italian GP?
Perez would surely still be contracted with Sauber until the end of the season, yes?

bkw

I missed it when Perez went off. What did his pit say to him?

Too bad we didn't get to see Alonso try to defend against Perez (or did I miss that as well??). Would be interesting to see if he could hold him off to the end of the race. (Though with DRS and all, probably not a chance.)

You don't really believe that, right? My man? I don't think you should be sending a young driver a message like that in the last few laps of the race when he's obviously on his way to a victory. I think Perez just got spooked.

His team shouldn't have said a thing at that point. Everyone knows that, especially them.

I really do think that the only reason they did is because Ferrari were onto Sauber telling them to tell Perez not to risk a crash. That he made a mistake is down to lack of experience, but the message never should have happened.

As it goes, I really wanted Alonso to win (see earlier in thread).

Wow. Great race. :bow Alonso :bow, :bow:bow Checo :bow:bow

I'm contemplating posting my f1racemanager picks early so you all can avoid my horrible decisions. A kind of, if you've picked what I've picked, run far away.

Maldonado strikes again. fffuuuu...

Massa should be man enough and just step down. This race was incredibly embarrassing. I wish it would've gone a lap longer, so Fernando could've lapped him.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
McLaren had this in the bag until Button hit the HRT and the team messed up Hamilton's pit stop.

Alonso's a beast in any car. Perez in the Sauber was fast all day - a damned shame he didn't manage to win (I read that message as a a warning to an inexperienced driver to not risk the valuable points with a reckless overtake, rather than any conspiracy).

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a clause which allows Ferrari to take him at any time though.

Omg yes please. Wait, they could theoretically replace Massa in the middle of the season? What happens to Massa? Is it like a trade? He goes to Sauber? lol

I don't know much about how contracts work in F1. Two races back watching F1 and I already starting to dislike Massa a lot.

Shaneus

Massa should be man enough and just step down. This race was incredibly embarrassing. I wish it would've gone a lap longer, so Fernando could've lapped him.
Massa would've found a way to take him out.
Edit: Cheers guys. PS. This Aussie ad. LOLOLOL.
Edit: Fosters? You fucking kidding me? God dam, you British are just fucking weird.

Timbuktu

That was pretty incredible. What a mixed up top ten and so great to se Sauber and Williams doing well again. I hope Perez stays for the season at least; I feel sorry for Maldonado, but his points will come, v. happy for Senna. So McLaren isn't as dominant as RBR was, and everything seems up in the air, which is fantastic for now.

And Massa is a desperate desperate man.

ANDY_098

Omg yes please. Wait, they could theoretically replace Massa in the middle of the season? What happens to Massa? Is it like a trade? He goes to Sauber? lol

I don't know much about how contracts work in F1. Two races back watching F1 and I already starting to dislike Massa a lot.

Contracts don't really mean much, if a team wants rid of a driver they will be able to do it. Sauber wouldn't want Massa. They'd probably take Bianchi, another Ferrari young driver.

nny

hehe, Alonso saying that in the end he didn't know where to park the car, he couldn't believe he was first )

Omikron

Really enjoyed that race 8)

Was disappointed to see Perez make that mistake after having what appeared to be a great chance to take Alonso.

So, is he to Ferrari as (essentially) Ricciardo/Vergne are to RBR?

Perez is in Ferrari's driver academy.

Ferrari Driver Academy is an initiative from Formula One team Scuderia Ferrari to promote young talent inside its own organisation, with several drivers being selected and funded by the team, being under long-term contracts

In late 2010, Ferrari confirmed Sergio Pérez had been signed up to the scheme, the Mexican being set to be its first graduate to Formula One competition, having already signed for Sauber days before the announcement

Hackbert

Vettel in an interview on RTL.. he stayed out, cause he wanted to see the checkered flag. Team wanted him in.. I like that

edit: HRT´s are cucumbers .. like some cars on the Autobahn XD His opinion

olore

Well, that was that. My guy on the podium at least and he seemed to appreciate that fact under these changing circumstances as well. Consistency is key.

Blablurn

never saw vettel that frustrated. when his team called for stopping the car he just ignored them because he wanted to finish the race the normal way.

Nolan.

That was pretty incredible. What a mixed up top ten and so great to se Sauber and Williams doing well again. I hope Perez stays for the season at least; I feel sorry for Maldonado, but his points will come, v. happy for Senna. So McLaren isn't as dominant as RBR was, and everything seems up in the air, which is fantastic for now.

And Massa is a desperate desperate man.

The thing with Mclaren as a team is even if they had a dominant car that had say 5 seconds pace advantage they still would find a way to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, it's a talent.

ANDY_098

Code:
World Championship standings, round 2:                

Drivers:                    Constructors:             
 1.  Alonso        35        1.  McLaren-Mercedes           55
 2.  Hamilton      30        2.  Red Bull-Renault           42
 3.  Button        25        3.  Ferrari                    35
 4.  Webber        24        4.  Sauber-Ferrari             30
 5.  Perez         22        5.  Lotus-Renault              16
 6.  Vettel        18        6.  Force India-Mercedes        9
 7.  Raikkonen     16        7.  Williams-Renault            8
 8.  Senna          8        8.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari          6