• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fisichella was always going to be a short term replacement for the duration of Massa's recovery. If Perez comes in (even mid-season) he would be their full-time driver for the considerable future.

I wasn't saying Perez will have the same luck as Giancarlo, just remembered him going there and let go as I was writing that.

Yoritomo

I wish I knew what was being said between Perez and Alonso as they were walking to the podium. It sure looked jovial and friendly.

Chris R

For the second week in a row I didn't get any bets correct either :lol

Some of those bets were pretty easy. The only yes/no I've gotten wrong so far was Perez getting more than 1 point this week.

Just wish Maldanado's engine didn't let him down :( I'd be rolling in the points if that didn't happen.

I know this was posted in the off-season thread.. so here it is again, it just cracks me up

PwW7J.jpg

I don't even like Ferrari and I want him gone or to improve.

thats the case with a lot of people. I despite Ferrari, but I want them to be utalising the full potential of their car, and Massa is not helping now.

He got 2 years of sympathy, time for him to bite the dust.

edit: kimi's interview after the race http://vimeo.com/39196318

Kimi is in Lebanon, they're launching the new Lotus there

courtesy of PF1 forum
raiko.jpg

ATTENTION SHANEUS:

The Austin Children’s Shelter is pleased to announce the “Ultimate” Formula One™ Grand Prix Package available through live auction this Friday, March 23rd at the Austin Fashion for Compassion Event. This exclusive VIP access package includes:

Driver Meet and Greet with 2012 favorites Michael Schumacher (Mercedes/AMG F1 team) and Mark Webber (Red Bull F1 team)
2 Exclusive Paddock Passes,
F1 VIP Hospitality with 2 reserved seats,
Round-trip airfare for two, and
3 nights luxury hotel accommodations for two for the Grand Prix Du Canada race, June 8-10, 2012 in Montréal, QC, Canada

Package Details
The driver "meet and greet" will include a rare private meeting and photo opportunity with Michael Schumacher and Mark Webber, as well as a quick tour of their race cars. Michael Schumacher (Germany), driver for the Mercedes/AMG F1 team, is a seven-time Formula One World Champion, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time. He holds many of the Formula's driver records including the most championships, race victories, fastest laps, pole positions, points scored and most races won in a single season – 13 in 2004. According to the official Formula One website, he is "statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen.” Mark Webber (Australia), driver for the Red Bull F1 team, is a reigning F1 championship team driver, 7-time Formula One race winner (including the 2010 Monaco Grand Prix), and a 2012 World Championship favorite.

The luxury hotel is ideally located so guests may enjoy the best of Montréal, and will also host top Formula One personnel. The surrounding neighborhood of Old Montreal abounds with magnificent architecture, art galleries, cafés, boutiques and some of the city’s finest restaurants. The Old Port, with its IMAX theatre and river cruises, is steps away from the Palais des Congrès convention center, Multimedia City and downtown Montreal.

The Formula One Grand Prix Du Canada is the longest running Grand Prix held outside of Europe, running over 30 editions in Montréal. It is one of the most sought-after races to attend on the annual calendar, and draws some of the largest crowds in the circuit. Scheduled for June 8-10, 2012 in Montréal, QC, Canada, this package will provide all the romance of Formula One in an unforgettable way. This package represents a once in a lifetime opportunity for any true Formula One racing fan, as well as the opportunity to help Austin-are children.

http://www.austinchildrenshelter.or...s_Fashion_for_Compassion2012_Auction_Formula1

Goldrusher

Massa is good, but not good enough (anymore) (for F1) (for Ferrari).

Just give the second car to...

Perez? Probably doesn't have enough experience yet for Ferrari. They always pick drivers with a couple years under their belt.
Bianchi? No experience at all.
Gutiérrez? No experience at all.
Fisichella? Ferrari's reserve drive, but has been out of F1 for 2 years already.
Trulli? Likely the best choice.
Heidfeld? Not a bad choice either, but is he better than Trulli?
Sutil? Probably the best available driver out there, but there's speculation he can't into certain countries anymore because of his conviction.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Watched the race last night, been on media blackout.

The race was great. I was impressed by how many drivers finished considering the rain. I thought they all handled it better than I expected.

Highlights for me:
- +5 Verne for heroic effort on inters.
- tents on the grid, you could really tell the poor teams sitting in the rain. Ferrari even bungled assembling Massa's.
- bird strutting through the rain, awesome.
- Massa cutout earned as many points as real Massa did.
- McLaren needs some practice on pits. Is there a Gif if the incar release of the Hamilton stall, where he almost smashed into Massa double stacking with Alonso?
- Fantastic work by Perez.

Maldonado's unfortunes stiffed those of us with Williams and Maldonado on our f1racemanager teams. We dropped in the standings like a bomb. Although I made a couple of spots overall.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
We're actually second overall in the racemanager standings, we only finished 13th in Malaysia. We're still in strong contention for first position.

Yoritomo

Watched the race last night, been on media blackout.

The race was great. I was impressed by how many drivers finished considering the rain. I thought they all handled it better than I expected.

Highlights for me:
- +5 Verne for heroic effort on inters.
- tents on the grid, you could really tell the poor teams sitting in the rain. Ferrari even bungled assembling Massa's.
- bird strutting through the rain, awesome.
- Massa cutout earned as many points as real Massa did.
- McLaren needs some practice on pits. Is there a Gif if the incar release of the Hamilton stall, where he almost smashed into Massa double stacking with Alonso?
- Fantastic work by Perez.

Maldonado's unfortunes stiffed those of us with Williams and Maldonado on our f1racemanager teams. We dropped in the standings like a bomb. Although I made a couple of spots overall.

It also makes Maldonado a great buy.

Provided he actually finishes a race. I think I may hold Williams until I can swap for first, Macca, then RBR for chassis/engine respectively. Trying to figure out if a stopover with Lotus is worth it or not before I invest in the best choice later in the season. Is it sick that I'm thinking about writing an app to calculate risk outcomes and prices for race manager?

AndyD

aka andydumi
It also makes Maldonado a great buy.

Provided he actually finishes a race. I think I may hold Williams until I can swap for first, Macca, then RBR for chassis/engine respectively. Trying to figure out if a stopover with Lotus is worth it or not before I invest in the best choice later in the season. Is it sick that I'm thinking about writing an app to calculate risk outcomes and prices for race manager?

He may be a good buy but somewhat unreliable. And I had automated spreadsheets last year to run risks and rewards of various purchases.

I will wait until after the bonus question to see what I will change to, but I imagine Lotus/Williams will be a choice.

Fisco had his chance as replacement driver at Ferrari, iirc. He was pretty bad.

Yep. He was not very strong.

Clearly someone at Ferrari has a bit of heart, and I actually think that's something that should be applauded, although that's not to say that they aren't in a very difficult situation at the moment.

To be honest, I think they'd be hard-pressed to get someone else in the car that's going to be doing a better job than Massa in the short term, so unless he gets even shitter, they might as well stick with him for the rest of the year and think long-term.

Ferrari's real mistake was committing to Massa so early on last season, as they could have picked up a decent replacement over the winter - who then would have had the benefit of testing and settling into the team.

NHale

Perez doesn't have enough experience yet for Ferrari. They want drivers with a couple years under their belt.
And Bianchi is probably a much better choice if they did want a rookie.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

Perez drove a Sauber for more than 1 year and showed incredible talent especially in tyre management and you say he doesn't have enough experience but then you say Bianchi is a better option when his only experience with F1 is a couple of tests and the only talents he showed so far is losing races when pressured by a car behind him or crashing against a wall.

Bianchi is so ready to F1 that he destroyed the Force India while doing system checking in Jerez this winter.

Clearly someone at Ferrari has a bit of heart, and I actually think that's something that should be applauded, although that's not to say that they aren't in a very difficult situation at the moment.

To be honest, I think they'd be hard-pressed to get someone else in the car that's going to be doing a better job than Massa in the short term, so unless he gets even shitter, they might as well stick with him for the rest of the year and think long-term.

Ferrari's real mistake was committing to Massa so early on last season, as they could have picked up a decent replacement over the winter - who then would have had the benefit of testing and settling into the team.

There's no real commitment in Formula 1. Every contract can be broken in one way or another.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Fisi always seemed really overrated to me. He had more than a few chances and never shined with any of them.
Big fish small pond is very fitting for Fisi.

Great driving for smaller struggling teams, but not very capable at the top level. Lacking the mental fortitude needed to be a top tier driver at a one of the big teams. Bit like Frentzen in that regard.

Nolan.

I don't know if Ferrari would seriously want to be ushering in Perez anytime soon, it might seem like a good idea now but could probably serve to unsettle them further. Particularly if Alonso does get a car capable of consistently giving him a chance to race for a win, I doubt he would deal well with another young upstart capable of taking him on, older or not Fernando wants to win. I would probably bet more on Webber, plus I would just rather Perez stay in a place where he can truly fine tune his skills than rush in and get dismantled.

I don't know if Ferrari would seriously want to be ushering in Perez anytime soon, it might seem like a good idea now but could probably serve to unsettle them further. Particularly if Alonso does get a car capable of consistently giving him a chance to race for a win, I doubt he would deal well with another young upstart capable of taking him on, older or not Fernando still has a bit of a temper apparently. I would probably bet more on Webber, plus I would just rather Perez stay in a place where he can truly fine tune his skills than rush in and get dismantled.

Perez needs to stay where he is right now. The Sauber is clearly quicker than the Ferrari and it's way too early to tell how good he really is. We saw Heidfeld and Fisicella win races and look how they turned out.

Dilly

Banned
Perez needs to stay where he is right now. The Sauber is clearly quicker than the Ferrari and it's way too early to tell how good he really is. We saw Heidfeld and Fisicella win races and look how they turned out.

Nicky never won a race, you silly man!

S. L.

if they really must replace massa in season Sutil would be a good choice i think.
plenty of experience and good pace. at the end of the season they can maybe look at Perez and decide where they want to go from there.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
if they really must replace massa in season Sutil would be a good choice i think.
plenty of experience and good pace. at the end of the season they can maybe look at Perez and decide where they want to go from there.
A criminal record would rule him out of many countries. No visa, no race.

His career in F1 is over.

S. L.

Edmond Dantès;36379304 said:
A criminal record would rule him out of many countries. No visa, no race.

His career in F1 is over.

just in time for the euro season :p

Or Glock, Glock is supergood.
But he needs something permanent in a good team. Not some temp replacement. (like replacement for Schumacher)

Nicky never won a race, you silly man!

Oh wow, that's true. Not sure why I thought of him. Probably because he's on my list of mediocre drivers with "great potential". He does hold some interesting records, though.
Record:
Most podium finishes without a victory: 13
Most consecutive classified finishes: 41 (2007 French Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most consecutive race finishes: 33 (2007 Chinese Grand Prix–2009 Italian Grand Prix)
Most finishes in a season: 18 (from 18 races in 2008)

ANDY_098

A short term replacement will not be any better than Massa due to the time they'd need to get up to speed in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom