• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm

A 22 grid drop would still work, either way he would be at the back of the grid :p
They wouldnt give Marrusia a 3 place grid penatly instead of 5 for changing a gear box just cause they are already near the back would they?

Kinda like giving NK a post-race drive through for having the audacity to be hit by his highness. It made him lose his position to PDR.

xptoxyz

A 22 grid drop would still work, either way he would be at the back of the grid :p
They wouldnt give Marrusia a 3 place grid penatly instead of 5 for changing a gear box just cause they are already near the back would they?

Yeah the points was just what was necessary, meant as a joke nothing else, I just didn't get the 27 thing. Anyway let's move on.

This got me thinking what are the largest penalties in F1 history? I think the largest fine is McLaren in 2007.

Can drivers actually have a penalty larger than 10 places?

So, at least 11 behind Webber then? Anyway, just saw the actual video and man, he doesn't even say it with conviction. Like he felt he should say something angry after the race then scuttles off. At least, be a man about it..

Had forgotten the glass on the table. So good, haha. Get that gif in here.

To be fair it's nice to see him show a little personality even though it was misdirected this time. His PR-Bot interviews last year were annoying.

Shaneus

Talking about fingers... The Guy Previously Known For His Other Finger might get a reprimand from FIA for communicating wiith his middle digit.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/112032842842/vettel-risks-penalty-for-middle-finger-tirade

And NK comes off pretty well in that WCF article:
"I think he's highly frustrated because he's having a tough season," Karthikeyan told the Deccan Chronicle on Wednesday.
"It's completely unprofessional to blame me for the incident. The derogatory remark only goes to show him in bad light.
"Just because he has a good car, he can't call others an idiot," Karthikeyan continued.
"I have won races in all the previous single-seater championships I have participated in so I don't need a certificate from Vettel."

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/112032842842/vettel-risks-penalty-for-middle-finger-tirade#ixzz1qPgil2iX
It'll be interesting to see how Vettel handles himself on and off the track in the next race. It'd be the first real time he has some heavy weights on his shoulders rather than just being the golden child.

ANDY_098

Yeah the points was just what was necessary, meant as a joke nothing else, I just didn't get the 27 thing. Anyway let's move on.

This got me thinking what are the largest penalties in F1 history? I think the largest fine is McLaren in 2007.

Can drivers actually have a penalty larger than 10 places?

Had forgotten the glass on the table. So good, haha. Get that gif in here.

There is no limit. They can also be DQ'd from the race or suspended for the next one.

Shaneus

Won't happen though. But in the very least, NK should get his penalty reversed. Given the light that this has been painted in post-race the stewards (or is the FIA responsible?) will come off looking pretty dodgy.

Lol this gets blown well out of proportion. As if Vettel was the first F1 driver who dared to show one of his colleagues the driver salute.
He's gonna apologize to NK at the next race and that's the end of the story. At least it should be.

xptoxyz

There is no limit. They can also be DQ'd from the race or suspended for the next one.

You are right. Although this seems to be more about on-track incidents.

In extreme cases stewards may choose to enforce tougher penalties. They can drop a driver any number of grid positions at the next Grand Prix (so, for example, if the driver in question goes on to qualify on pole, a ten-place penalty would for drop him to 11th). They can also impose time penalties, reprimand a driver, exclude him from the results, or suspend him from the next race.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8683/

For some reason when I googled I got what is probably x years old regulation.

In extreme cases the stewards may choose to enforce a third type of penalty whereby they can force a driver to drop ten grid positions at the next Grand Prix

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/6835/

mclem

I'm sure I recall Jenson being suspended (or something like that) and being nabbed by the UK TV coverage at the time to commentate on the race he missed out on.

Did a great job, too. There's a career there for him when he retires.

Edit: Found it. Monaco '05: http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st73582.htm. Weight issues on both the BAR Hondas caused the exclusion.

Lucius86

Banned
Main problem is that obviously there's very little else to talk about before China. At least until Massa gets sacked anyway.

But we already know Massa is dog poo.

288167-felipe-massa-australia.jpg

Lol this gets blown well out of proportion. As if Vettel was the first F1 driver who dared to show one of his colleagues the driver salute.
He's gonna apologize to NK at the next race and that's the end of the story. At least it should be.

While I don't think it's a huge scandal, it is more than a simple finger in a race.

-Vettel needlessly cut across NK's car incurring a flat. (NK says backmarkers are often bullied while passed)
-Vettel flips him off (no biggie on its own)
-Vettel calls NK an idiot and gherkin

Omiee

NK should just stop racing, what an idiot.

Vettel said 1 line, it was def not acting like a cry baby.

Anyway lets see if vettel can make the best of the situation and rebound next race.

would love to see him win in china, but mclaren are incredibly fast.

Shaneus

Anyway lets see if vettel can make the best of the situation and rebound next race.

Ahahahahaha.

Septimius

Ahahahahaha.

Pretty much. It's not OK to lash out on a fellow driver like this when it's not an obvious mistake from Karthikeyan. I'm not saying it was Vettel's fault, but to me it's at best a racing incident, and nothing more to think about. It's just Vettel that's unable to cope with a horrible start to the season, so he lashes out at others. It's F1 - shit happens. Deal with it.

Narain is definitely not an idiot, so let's not be partial in this. Let's stop spreading such fucked up nonsense, anyway. Jesus, act like a fucking adult.

Not an idiot, definitely shit though.

Shame Karun Chandhok couldn't come back as F1's resident Indian driver, seemed like a really nice guy.

mclem

I'm curious, now, mods: If the following exchange were to occur on GAF:

A is someone who is generally correct about things.
B is someone who is often incorrect about things.

A: Obama is *clearly* not an American citizen
B: Um, no, there's a ton of proof otherwise
A: Just like in real life you have some idiots spouting bullshit, it seems like there is also one talking here
B reports A

...would that incur any reprimand?

My gut says yes, but I'm curious, since GAF's a little thicker-skinned than many other forums. There's certainly forums I know where A would get at least suspended.

It's funny how suddenly there is a problem with backmarkers and the guys in front are blamed while it worked with no big problems for years. There have been 3 incidents in two races all in which NK and WDC's were involved. There is a pattern and it's him.

That said Vettel should still apologize for his unprofessional remarks but not more and not less. NK instead of whining about being bullied should look at himself what he could do better. His excuse with wheelspin on the curb is just bullshit. He didnt even touch the curb. He's just a driver who seems slightly overwhelmed with keeping the overview of what's happening around him.

It's funny how suddenly there is a problem with backmarkers and the guys in front are blamed while it worked with no big problems for years. There have been 3 incidents in two races all in which NK and WDC's were involved. There is a pattern and it's him.

You may have a point. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

I think the point was more that incidents are far less likely to occur with some drivers than others. Look at Alonso and Webber in Spa last year. If that was say... Massa you'd have likely still been picking bits out of them out of the surrounding countryside.

Like it or not, a blue flagged backmarker's job is to get the hell out of the way as soon and as safely as possible. Some of them are better than others at that.

Won't happen though. But in the very least, NK should get his penalty reversed. Given the light that this has been painted in post-race the stewards (or is the FIA responsible?) will come off looking pretty dodgy.

It's clearly Ferrari's fault. During the red flag, Alonso got the tip from Vettel to block Hamilton's release in the pits with Massa. Ferrari felt obliged to do something for Vettel, so they ordered their international assistance to punish Karthikeyan.

TkYiG.jpg

I think Coulthard put it best when he said NK can't make his car invisible. Likewise, he can't go off of the track or slow down at the exit of the corner because that would be dangerous.

Shaneus

I stumbled across one of the videos about the incident, and loved this uprated comment:
0.09....Its very clear how much space vettel had to overtake NK. Vettel was reffering to the idiot who ran into Webber's car in 2010 turkish Grand Prix.

I think the point was more that incidents are far less likely to occur with some drivers than others. Look at Alonso and Webber in Spa last year. If that was say... Massa you'd have likely still been picking bits out of them out of the surrounding countryside.

Like it or not, a blue flagged backmarker's job is to get the hell out of the way as soon and as safely as possible. Some of them are better than others at that.
How? If you're taking a corner while that sort of thing happens you can't very well yank the steering wheel to the left if you see someone behind you. The best you can hope for is that the faster car behind you is leaving enough room. It's stupid to cut it so close, and Vettel had far more knowledge of the upcoming overtake than NK did.

Cars a varying ability levels are the nature of the beast in F1. It's not NASCAR. Backmarkers are something every driver has to deal with in a decent car.

How? If you're taking a corner while that sort of thing happens you can't very well yank the steering wheel to the left if you see someone behind you.
Not moving right at all would have been helpful.... and I'm not debating the fact that Vettel should have given him more room.

A bit more thought / control from either of them would have avoided the collision.

Jinjo

Vettel has always been a little whiner when things don't go his way. Even back in 2009 he could never stop nagging about when he didn't get the result he wanted. His direct competitors could apparently press this little magic win button (KERS) of theirs when he could not, how unfair...

After 2 WDC's you would've expected him to grow up. Two races in and we already have this?

Goldrusher

Honorary OBE for Eddie Jordan

Ex-Formula One team owner Eddie Jordan has been awarded an honorary OBE (Order of the British Empire) in recognition of his services to charity and motor racing.

Irishman Jordan, 64, founded the team that bore his name (now Force India) in 1990. It went on to compete in 250 Grands Prix, winning four, before he sold out to the Midland Group in 2005. In addition to his charity work, Jordan is now best known as an F1 television pundit.

“What a wonderful moment in my life,” said Jordan of the news. “I am hugely surprised and greatly overjoyed to receive this magnificent honour, however it would not have been possible without the help of my family, the Jordan Grand Prix F1 team, CLIC Sargent and in more recent times the BBC F1 team.”

Jordan famously gave Michael Schumacher his F1 race debut at the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix. He also gave Ayrton Senna and Damon Hill their first Formula Three drives.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13178.html

A bit more thought / control from either of them would have avoided the collision.

And that's why this is your usual racing incident. It sucks for Vettel, but it happens.

After 2 WDC's you would've expected him to grow up. Two races in and we already have this?

He's still young and got spoiled. Like I said earlier, a shitty season will help him to grow up.

Vettel has always been a little whiner when things don't go his way. Even back in 2009 he could never stop nagging about when he didn't get the result he wanted. His direct competitors could apparently press this little magic win button (KERS) of theirs when he could not, how unfair...
Look how that turned out when he dominated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0NQeJWXGio

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Cars a varying ability levels are the nature of the beast in F1. It's not NASCAR. Backmarkers are something every driver has to deal with in a decent car.
Michael mastered this in his first career, He would show the utmost respect to drivers at the back of the grid, sweet-talking them during the driver's parades, always giving them his time in the paddock etc. They moved out of his way in quick time during races.

There's know one in F1 with that kind of intelligence and cunning in F1 apart from Michael. The younger generation seem like fools in comparison.

Edmond Dantès;36433091 said:
He's not exactly an Adrian Newey or Colin Chapman, but a good businessmen nonetheless.

He won't be at the Chinese GP because of the usual reason explained in last year's thread.

Can you offer a refresher for the noobs like myself?

Lucius86

Banned
So.....who posts too much?

Myoclonic Jerk 374
ANDY_098 371
brotkasten 228
Edmond Dantès 222
Shaneus 221
Omiee 209
Psychotext 197
Adamm 186
SunhiLegend 156
Dilly 149
Foliorum Viridum 128
dubc35 102
navanman 96
Salacious Crumb 95
Norante 93
Septimius 89
mclaren777 88
Dead Man 79
Gareth Bale 79
Ark 77
rhfb 73
RomanticHeroX 72
NihonTiger90 71
AcridMeat 70
nny 69
S. L. 67
pappe 67
kharma45 65
xptoxyz 62
Stop It 62
Leunam 62
Orgun 61
JordoftheDead 60
moojito 59
Lucius86 54
Tempy 53
Sleeplessnights 53
Goldrusher 52
Risk Breaker 51
CurlySaysX 50
dantehemi 47
LowKeyedUp 41
Xun 40
DrM 38
Joseph Merrick 37
Polyphony 37
Lach 36
Hackbert 36
duckroll 35
criesofthepast 35
Juicy Bob 34
wonderkins 33
Pterion 31
andylsun 31
dalin80 31
mclem 30
olore 29
acm2000 29
Staab 28
mxgt 28
Deadman 27
Fantomex 26
HenryHSH 25
KaizorPenguin 25
mblitek 25
AndyD 24
Britprog 24
Wax Free Vanilla 24
TylerD 23
kanugo 23
shagg_187 21
hobz360 21
Timbuktu 21
Choc 21
Nolan. 21
Acidote 20

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So.....who posts too much?

Myoclonic Jerk 374
ANDY_098 371
brotkasten 228
Edmond Dantès 222
Shaneus 221
Omiee 209
Psychotext 197
Adamm 186
SunhiLegend 156
Dilly 149
Foliorum Viridum 128
dubc35 102
navanman 96
Salacious Crumb 95
Norante 93
Septimius 89
mclaren777 88
Dead Man 79
Gareth Bale 79
Ark 77
rhfb 73
RomanticHeroX 72
NihonTiger90 71
AcridMeat 70
nny 69
S. L. 67
pappe 67
kharma45 65
xptoxyz 62
Stop It 62
Leunam 62
Orgun 61
JordoftheDead 60
moojito 59
Lucius86 54
Tempy 53
Sleeplessnights 53
Goldrusher 52
Risk Breaker 51
CurlySaysX 50
dantehemi 47
LowKeyedUp 41
Xun 40
DrM 38
Joseph Merrick 37
Polyphony 37
Lach 36
Hackbert 36
duckroll 35
criesofthepast 35
Juicy Bob 34
wonderkins 33
Pterion 31
andylsun 31
dalin80 31
mclem 30
olore 29
acm2000 29
Staab 28
mxgt 28
Deadman 27
Fantomex 26
HenryHSH 25
KaizorPenguin 25
mblitek 25
AndyD 24
Britprog 24
Wax Free Vanilla 24
TylerD 23
kanugo 23
shagg_187 21
hobz360 21
Timbuktu 21
Choc 21
Nolan. 21
Acidote 20
We've got a pretty damn good community really.

Orgun

Phew, good to see i've posted a reasonable amount and not crazy levels. Was getting worried i'd be up there with MJ et al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom