• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2012 Season |OT| The Year of the...uh...Platypus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It was Horner on the BBC forum and the quote in question is from Bild. I trust the former more.
He couldn't really say anything else truth be told. He wasn't going to come out and say that their star driver purposefully ignored the team's orders else the whole thing would blow up amid rumours of discord within the team. That's the last thing RBR need right now considering their mediocre start to the season.

rithvikgv

Neo Member
Edmond Dantès;36402706 said:
He couldn't really say anything else truth be told. He wasn't going to come out and say that their star driver purposefully ignored the team's orders else the whole thing would blow up amid rumours of discord within the team. That's the last thing RBR need right now considering their mediocre start to the season.

Fair enough. Can't really see a strong case for Vettel to have disobeyed those orders though. FWIW, I hope the story is true as it means Mark moves closer to Seb in the pecking order at Red Bull.

acm2000

Race finishes and/or drivers are not rewarded any money.

However, at the end of the season, the teams get this:

1. 90 million
  2. 80
  3. 70
  4. 65
  5. 60
  6. 58
  7. 52
  8. 49
  9. 46
  10. 42

(deduct $30 million if they were not in the top 10 for at least 1 of the previous 2 seasons)

Ferrari gets an additional $30 million bonus because of its historical status.

McLaren, Williams, Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull and again Ferrari get a bonus because they have won championships in the past. Between 3 million (Red Bull) and 16 million (Ferrari). The more championships and the more recent they are, the higher the amount.

New teams - if there are any - get a $10 million bonus.

So if HRT were to finish 10th, they would get 12 million. (42-30)
If we had a new team (first season) in 10th, they would get 22 million. (42-30+10)
If Caterham finishes 10th, they get 42 million. (42)
If Ferrari finishes 10th, they get 90 million. :') (42+30+16)

A more detailed explanation here: http://bbs.hellof1.com/2976344_256650.html
There are however no official documents about this though.

thats disgusting if true

Bahrain chief unable to guarantee safety for grand prix in April

The safety of fans cannot be guaranteed at the Bahrain grand prix, according to the president of the country's Automobile Federation.

But he called on F1 to help unify his country when the race returns in April - after it was cancelled in 2011.

"There are disturbances, and youths, who need to be handled in a proper and right way," Sheikh Abdullah bin Isa Al Khalifa told PA Sport.

"There are no guarantees. You could be anywhere, even Silverstone."

He has a point it could happen anywhere (Look at Button in Brazil) but it seems crazy going there if things are still unstable. Expecting F1 to unite them is a bit unrealistic.

rithvikgv

Neo Member
Can't say I am surprised with Bernie giving advice to the protestors on how to disrupt the race:

"They [the protesters] don't need to resort to violence," he explained. "All they need to do is stand on the road on the way to the circuit, with placards, and they would get their message out there. Nobody's going to shoot them."

He added: "If I was the organiser, I would wait until 4pm or whenever the race starts, blocking the road, a few thousand of them, and then go home. And if they successfully delay the race then they would get more coverage than they could dream of."

Source

As expected, people will just ignore this. It's easier to just bash the guy and put all the blame on him...

Yeah, because he'y totally worth the money.

F1: 2011 Formula One Driver Salary List

1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 30M€
2. Jenson Button (McLaren) 10M€
3. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) 10M€
4. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 10M€
5. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 8M€
6. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) 8M€
7. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 8M€
8. Mark Webber (Red Bull) 8M€
9. Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus) 3M€
10. Jarno Trulli (Lotus) 3M€
11. Rubens Barrichello (Williams) 2,2M€
12. Timo Glock (Virgin) 2M€
13. Nick Heidfeld (Renault) 2M€
14. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) 1M€
15. Adrian Sutil (Force India) 1M€
16. Vitaly Petrov (Renault) 500k€
17. Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) 400k€
18. Sébastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) 400k€
19. Narain Karthikeyan (HRT) 250k€
20. Jérôme d’Ambrosio (Virgin) 200k€
21. Paul di Resta (Force India) 200k€
22. Vitantonio Liuzzi (HRT) 200k€
23. Pastor Maldonado (Williams) 200k€
24. Sergio Perez (Sauber) 200k€
http://www.hanzoautobuzz.com/2011/05/f1-2011-formula-one-driver-salary-list/

You know, those salaries are surprisingly low for the last third on the grid.

Relatively, I mean. I assumed F1 drivers would make a lot more than that, even rookies/lower teams.

NHale

Good odds, especially if the 'new car' rumours are true, then the Ferrari could be a half decent car within a few races

Considering it's being developed by the current staff at Ferrari, the "new car" will probably be slower than the current car.

mblitek

I hate to interrupt again but I need all the opinions! The t-shirt is nothing final just an idea of overlaying the links to look like racetracks or something etc

--------------------
--------------------

Hey guys/gals, I didn't want to do this as I wanted to keep it a surprise, but...

The basic design brief is this. The website will primarily feature motorsports, interesting engineering feats of past & present etc. I like the chain link logo as when it is layered & overlapped it looks like racetracks. I also think that down the line it presents itself well to branding ie stickers, tshirts etc.

Ayc8E.jpg

This is the colour combo I like best as the site needs a bit of flair which is the red but also the blue as the blue/grey is that technical bit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Interesting. Everyone is familiar with that race of course.
Watched it live on TV and it was beyond belief. If the internet had existed in its current state back then... I can only imagine the fuore. The Senna fanaticism was beyond anything in F1 currently. He was a God to many.

The aftermath of the race and the subsequent disqualification was the only thing people were talking about for the following days. The reaction in Brazil was immense.

As expected, people will just ignore this. It's easier to just bash the guy and put all the blame on him...

Probably. I thought it was pretty obvious that Massa is Ferrari's development guinea pig. Ferrari is one of those teams that likes to have 1 star and a test driver. Massa showed enough talent coming up, even as Schumacher's teammate, that it always blew my mind that Ferrari would rather chase some other hot, new star rather than him a shot as primary driver. Whatever, Ferrari is a mess these days.

Edmond Dantès;36406385 said:
Watched it live on TV and it was beyond belief. If the internet had existed in its current state back then... I can only imagine the fuore. The Senna fanaticism was beyond anything in F1 currently. He was a God to many.

The aftermath of the race and the subsequent disqualification was the only thing people were talking about for the following days. The reaction in Brazil was immense.

I loved Prost as a kid, so I was pretty happy :) 1990 was even more shocking in my opinion. It would have broken the internet for sure!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The last time Ferrari had a driving pairing of two relatively matched drivers was 1995 with Berger and Alesi.

What a combo they were. Lots of talent, but the lack of good results was disappointing to say the least.

acm2000

Edmond Dantès;36406385 said:

f1 was a joke back then, absolutely disgrace, thank jebus its alot better now, but theres still losts of unsavory political stuff floating around, but we're in a much better place

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
f1 was a joke back then, absolutely disgrace, thank jebus its alot better now, but theres still losts of unsavory political stuff floating around, but we're in a much better place
The racing and entertainment levels were great but yeah, I'd certainly take Bernie over Jean-Marie Balestre.

Probably. I thought it was pretty obvious that Massa is Ferrari's development guinea pig. Ferrari is one of those teams that likes to have 1 star and a test driver. Massa showed enough talent coming up, even as Schumacher's teammate, that it always blew my mind that Ferrari would rather chase some other hot, new star rather than him a shot as primary driver. Whatever, Ferrari is a mess these days.

He had his chance in 2008.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, that's kind of this point. You can't completely guarantee safety at any grand prix, and as far as he's concerned, there's no higher risk to the safety of those attending the race than there is in any other country.

The problem with his stance is that the same argument was made last year. And we all know the statements of the interested parties did not at all line up with the realities of the situation in the country.

Yeah, because he'y totally worth the money.

F1: 2011 Formula One Driver Salary List

1. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 30M€
2. Jenson Button (McLaren) 10M€
3. Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) 10M€
4. Felipe Massa (Ferrari) 10M€
5. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 8M€
6. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) 8M€
7. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 8M€
8. Mark Webber (Red Bull) 8M€
9. Heikki Kovalainen (Lotus) 3M€
10. Jarno Trulli (Lotus) 3M€
11. Rubens Barrichello (Williams) 2,2M€
12. Timo Glock (Virgin) 2M€
13. Nick Heidfeld (Renault) 2M€
14. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber) 1M€
15. Adrian Sutil (Force India) 1M€
16. Vitaly Petrov (Renault) 500k€
17. Jaime Alguersuari (Toro Rosso) 400k€
18. Sébastien Buemi (Toro Rosso) 400k€
19. Narain Karthikeyan (HRT) 250k€
20. Jérôme d’Ambrosio (Virgin) 200k€
21. Paul di Resta (Force India) 200k€
22. Vitantonio Liuzzi (HRT) 200k€
23. Pastor Maldonado (Williams) 200k€
24. Sergio Perez (Sauber) 200k€

http://www.hanzoautobuzz.com/2011/05/f1-2011-formula-one-driver-salary-list/

Considering how much Maldonado and Petrov paid to get those seats, their salaries are chump change in comparison.

I would assume Vettel gets a lot more $$$ now since he's a double world champ? Those figures are from the 2011 season after all.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Considering how much Maldonado and Petrov paid to get those seats, their salaries are chump change in comparison.

I would assume Vettel gets a lot more $$$ now since he's a double world champ? Those figures are from the 2011 season after all.
Significantly more, but still far below Alonso's salary.

pappe

WOOOOOOW!!! @ alonso's salary. But thoroughly deserved. The driver of his talent does not deserve such a dog shit car.

Mark Webber earns same as Vettel. Not bad for a number 2 driver.

S. L.

There is a lot of result/success bonus at redbull (and other teams probably as well)

xptoxyz

I don't think the track is open at all to the public for the GP weekend?

It's not.

So, Who can get involved...

(...) anybody with an accredited F1 pass that is. The site is ...F1 running Metrics by F1 people for F1 people... so that really means that if you have anything at all to do with F1 and you manage to run a lap of the track over the course of an F1 weekend then you qualify!

One of the most frequently asked questions I get is "Can the general public take part?". Unfortunately for the moment the answer is No. F1 tracks are usually fairly tightly guarded and dangerous places to be, so only those people who have accredited track passes can take part, but the good news is that usually includes all the journalists, drivers, mechanics, marshals and even the GP2 and Porsche teams, so if you belong then please run a lap and submit your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom