• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

They say that they improved it. Sauber could be going on fumes to attract possible sponsors and Ferrari was fastest last year on the first day - probably they will be a free practice kings like last year, in front on Friday and behind on Saturday.

Getting the team morale up. At least they've been realistic about their goals and competitiveness.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg - 157 laps / 695 km
Ericsson - 73 laps / 323 km
Bottas - 73 laps / 323 km
Vettel - 60 laps / 265 km
Sainz - 46 laps / 204 km
Ricciardo - 35 laps / 155 km
Alonso - 6 laps / 27 km

Mercedes completed two full race distances. On the first day of testing.

Rosberg - 157 laps / 695 km
Ericsson - 73 laps / 323 km
Bottas - 73 laps / 323 km
Vettel - 60 laps / 265 km
Sainz - 46 laps / 204 km
Ricciardo - 35 laps / 155 km
Alonso - 6 laps / 27 km

Mercedes completed two full race distances. On the first day of testing.
Well that sounds pretty ominous.

Aiii

So not worth it
B8xV55nIMAAB6c2.jpg

Tubie

Can you imagine if the Ferrari actually turns out to be really good this season and Vettel/Rai fight it out with Rosberg and Hamilton. I can't wait for Alonso's descend into madness on twitter if that happens lol.

Can you imagine if the Ferrari actually turns out to be really good this season and Vettel/Rai fight it out with Rosberg and Hamilton. I can't wait for Alonso's descend into madness on twitter if that happens lol.

As fun as that would be, Arrivabene already said that he expects his team to be competitive in 2016 or 2017.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Never go full samurai.

markao

Did Ferrari improve their engine this much or did both Ferrari and Sauber go for glory runs?
Who do you think topped last years first day of testing ;)

But on a more serious note, the amount of laps the Mercedes pulled of on their first day is kind of scary, as in if you want more than two title contenders this year :(

Aiii

So not worth it
Obviously Mercedes have had the least invasive changes to car and technical, so it's only natural they can run a lot of laps compared to other teams that have tons of new stuff to test. You can't really deduce anything from that stat after just the first day, the second test will be much more telling.

I don't ever remember anyone doing 150+ laps on the first day. Aside from McLaren, those are healthy totals for everyone else. Merc comes out and does double that...

Mastah

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener 58m58 minutes ago

Best sectors: S1: RIC 20.016s / S2: ERI 34.293s / S3: VET 28.213s - Topspeed: ERI 290,3 km/h

Pete Gill ‏@petegillF1 48m48 minutes ago

Alonso unfazed by "slow start". Describes new McLaren as "extreme" and "aggressive" and predicts Mercedes won't win as many races as 2014

Tobias Grüner AMuS ‏@tgruener 37m37 minutes ago

#F1 Quote of the day: Alonso asked by AMuS if he is patient to wait for success with Honda: "My patience was proved the last 5 years."

:D

McLaren race livery will be red and white then:

Ronbo: "florescent red had much more heritage than any other for the team

McLaren ‏@McLarenF1 1 min

So, Ron says our 2015 livery WILL change. RT for orange; FT for red & white... #SizeZeroF1Car

What an absolute shit show, is this the same sensor problem they had in Abu Dhabi and they still don't know how to fix it? The season is done before it's begun.

Pimpwerx

Merc looks strong. If that's the 2015 engine then the rest of the grid has already been put on notice. Unlike everyone else, I'd like to see them increase their margin. Hammer Time tomorrow? PEACE.

RoKKeR

The W06 just looks like it's going to steamroll everybody this year. Hopefully we see some competition but it looks like such a refined version of last year's car.

Williams nose doesn't look as terrible in real photos but it's still not great. Interesting to note that their nose design is the most similar to the W05 last year and it looks like the RB11 has a similar construction... wonder if it helps with their downforce/wet weather issues from last year.

And the McLaren livery actually didn't look half bad in the sun but... give me red and white please.

dubc35

Contrary to my hopes of having more color on the grid this year, I would like rbr to run the entire season in their camo livery.

Honda on the technical problem:

"We have already fixed it. We have found out what has happened, and tonight we change something and tomorrow will be much better."

Arai clarified that the issues encountered at Jerez were completely different to those suffered in Abu Dhabi testing last year.

"In Abu Dhabi we had many communication troubles, but that was already fixed before this test," he said.

"We have found out new issues today because the car is completely new.

"We have to learn very carefully step-by-step, so we can imagine what happened today."

McLaren chairman Ron Dennis has revealed that the engine running at the first test remains a developmental unit and there are still several rounds of improvements to be made before Honda's Australian GP specification is introduced by the end of the three-test winter schedule.

“Our race engines are two or three steps away from where we are now, therefore we’re still running development engines and will continue to run development engines through to the last test,” Dennis told reporters in Spain.

“The engine is an integral part of our size zero policy. The car is phenomenally tightly packaged in the back end, which has given huge scope to Peter Prodromou and his team and they have taken full advantage of it.”

With the rear of McLaren’s new car noticeably more sculptured than last year’s design, Dennis revealed that Honda’s engineers had deliberately gone for a particularly tightly-packed power unit – and that it was that complexity which had triggered the early teething problems.

“The level of detailing and the precision of manufacturer of the components has surpassed any McLaren standards of the past. The elegance of some of the aerodynamic solutions as they’re packaged into suspension, brake ducts are to a level we’ve never been able to achieve before, as has a lot of the work surrounding the ERS, KERS and the technologies that we’re using,” lauded Dennis.

“Some of the technologies that we’ve introduced into the power train haven’t existed before. So obviously going into areas that haven’t been exploited before carries a degree of risk, which we think we’ve got a handle on.

“The problems that we’re experiencing today are really stemming from the tense packaging that goes on inside the engine. At this moment in time we don’t have an exact understanding, but we’ve got some sensors that aren’t talking correctly to other parts of the system. Therefore, whilst we can turn them off and circumvent them, this is what testing is about so the guys are disassembling the car again to try and eliminate some short-circuits that are happening on some sensors.

“In the limited running we’ve done nothing’s overheating, which is normally what happens when you get it wrong on packaging, we’ve got no burning of heat shields. There is every indication that the mechanical design of the car, packaging wise, has been well executed.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lotus will probably miss Monday, as car arrived in late afternoon on the track and now they have to put all pieces together.

Ark

Lotus will probably miss Monday, as car arrived in late afternoon on the track and now they have to put all pieces together.

As long as they get to run at all.

I'll get the pre-season OT up in the next couple of days; any last-minute post-reveals titles?

As long as they get to run at all.

I'll get the pre-season OT up in the next couple of days; any last-minute post-reveals titles?

Don#t worry about a subtitle. Skip it, it's just for two months anyway. I'd rather focus on the main OT for the season anyway.

DBT85

Obviously Mercedes have had the least invasive changes to car and technical, so it's only natural they can run a lot of laps compared to other teams that have tons of new stuff to test. You can't really deduce anything from that stat after just the first day, the second test will be much more telling.

I feel fairly comfortable betting that Rosberg will do the most laps on EVERY day that he is in the car.

Top Bottom