• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Zeknurn

what good is that? if the third car happens the reserve drivers have to drive. no super teams allowed.

saward also mentioned a third car lottery before each race, he must be on the piss take? f1 is dead if it's true, who wants to see random third cars driven by scrubs?

I was joking. Who knows what's going on at Ferrari.

Good news though:
@tgruener: #F1 Force India paid last Mercedes engine bill and will finally receive 5th power unit at Austin. AMuS (in German): http://t.co/5pgq1wy7b2

Imagine a grid without Caterham, Marussia, Sauber, Lotus and Force India. Ferrari could end up being at the back of the pack.

Total to remain with Lotus must be Grosjean's big news, he's staying with his Total Lotus mates next season..

last 30 races have been won by mercedes (16 ) or red bull (14)

vettel - 11
hammy - 10
rosberg - 6
ricky - 3
webber - 0

Total to remain with Lotus must be Grosjean's big news, he's staying with his Total Lotus mates next season..

last 30 races have been won by mercedes (16 ) or red bull (14)

vettel - 11
hammy - 10
rosberg - 6
ricky - 3
webber - 0
My first instinct was to laugh at this, but now one has to wonder how Webber would have fared against Seb in the v6s. I envision Mark being able to handle the lower downforce, high torque cars really well, he did cut his teeth in 900 bhp v10 era.

Ark

Much better, but since Webber didn't beat him in either 2009 or 2010 you'd have to say the money is on Vettel for that one.

Shaneus

My first instinct was to laugh at this, but now one has to wonder how Webber would have fared against Seb in the v6s. I envision Mark being able to handle the lower downforce, high torque cars really well, he did cut his teeth in 900 bhp v10 era.
Was it 2011 when the diffuser was banned? I remember the year that happened, Webber had one up on Vettel for the first few weekends as Webber seemed to relish not having the car glued to the ground.

No idea how he would've fared these days, but I think what you say could bare some truth to it (and could also explain why Vettel has had a bit of a struggle coming to grips with this year's car).

John_B

Webber is 38 years old. I doubt he would have impressed this season. I also recall himself admitting that his time with Vettel might have looked different had he been younger.

I'm pumped for Austin. Hamilton has to be the initial favorite. He has been knocking it out of the park lately, but his win there in 2012 was very impressive. Qualified close to Vettel for a front start, though fell back behind both Red Bulls. He clawed the gap back lap for lap, caught Vettel and forced his way past him. He then held him behind for the last quarter of the race and took the flag by 6 tenths.

Shaneus

Teams aren't making up the extra money to pay for the increase in the power unit cost.
And sponsorship is hard to find.
So PU cost is the main culprit then? I would've thought the cost would be the same. But I guess if you can't use existing parts/designs, then the price of everything would be bumped up.

Ark

So PU cost is the main culprit then? I would've thought the cost would be the same. But I guess if you can't use existing parts/designs, then the price of everything would be bumped up.

Basically yeah. No one really anticipated how expensive the new PU would be. Williams have overspent by a country mile to get to where they are this season.

Yes, and ironically the Renault PU is the most expensive one.

As Max Mosley has recently said, there should have been a cap on the prices manufacturers could sell their PUs.

For the Yankees, Lewis Hamilton is going to be on the Today Show in a couple of minutes.

Edit: That was ridiculously short.

Edit2: And AMUS reporting that the Alonso-Ferrari soap opera is far from over.

Mastah

Second little Grosjean is on his/her way :D

10624723_879970318680409_7974295327585147419_n.png

Yeah, so that's why Monti left: Ferrari is going to lose its connection to Fiat, probably be owned by some Middle Eastern company even though the Agnelli family will still own a substantial amount of the company.

Not looking good for the F1 team though.

Shaneus

Yes, and ironically the Renault PU is the most expensive one.

As Max Mosley has recently said, there should have been a cap on the prices manufacturers could sell their PUs.
I didn't realise there wasn't. Quite surprising.

Surprised it didn't just have a gigantic picture of Bernie on that page.

Yeah, so that's why Monti left: Ferrari is going to lose its connection to Fiat, probably be owned by some Middle Eastern company even though the Agnelli family will still own a substantial amount of the company.

Not looking good for the F1 team though.
Yikes. Even if it's not as bad as you might suggest, F1 overall really seems to be in more of a state than it's ever been. I'd love to see a return to the times when much smaller teams could mix it up with the big guys (a la Brabham) but that'll never happen.

When was the last time an entire team (let alone two) was not able to race? I know HRT a few years back, but before that it must have been the 2005 USGP, yes?

Edit: Happy for Grosjean. Clearly it wasn't just cars he was successful bumping ;)

Some people saying that the qualifying format (number of cars in each session) is going to be changed on Saturday, but I can find literally nothing to back that up.

Would be very surprised given that the rulebook has those numbers in stone.

Some people saying that the qualifying format (number of cars in each session) is going to be changed on Saturday, but I can find literally nothing to back that up.

Would be very surprised given that the rulebook has those numbers in stone.

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/527812248073687040

Re questions on qualifying format without Marussia & Caterham, stewards will decide today but likely four cars eliminated in both Q1 & Q2

Guess the stewards have some say on the matter.

And LOL @ Forza Rossa. Already the money is missing.~

Edit: And wow did Mattiaci fuck over Alonso.

Wait, so one of those Forza Rossa guys is a disgraced ex footballer who got a cleaning job at Caterham, then got promoted to team boss?

And now he can't get in touch with his Forza Rossa backers.

LOL

DBT85

Toto talking about Lewis' contract

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116536

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has made it clear, however, that his priority is to finalise a new deal with Hamilton, and only if talks break down will he start thinking about other options.

"We have a contract with both our drivers for 2015," he said. "We want to continue with the current line-up because these two boys are part of the success of the team.

"They have known each other so well and they respect each other. The moment you get somebody else in that fight, it could be detrimental to the team's performance.

"Therefore our main priority is to continue with Lewis and with Nico [Rosberg] beyond 2015."

Wolff said that he was unmoved that Alonso's situation had ramped up interest in his team's driver plans - and he was sticking to the promise he made Hamilton to hold fire on contract talks for now.

"We have agreed with Lewis that we want to concentrate on the championship and give him the exact same possibility [as Rosberg]," he said.

"We do not want to get involved in some commercial, financial, or legal discussions until Abu Dhabi, and my commitment is we are not going to talk with anybody about any terms or contracts until then."

"We do believe that if Lewis manages to become the World Champion, that we can use this as leverage to pay him £5 a week for a 3 year extension".

;)

What's this?

Gazzetta reporting that Mattiaci was negotiating with Vettel since the summer behind Alonso's back. Alonso asked to be free from his contract a week before the Japanese GP (adds up to the timeline of the Alonso to Mclaren rumors). So it seems it wasn't Alonso who triggered the whole thing.

Also reporting that Domenicali wanted to bring Vettel to Ferrari since 2011, maybe 2013/14 tops 2015 (find this one hard to believe).

And AMUS reported yesterday that there seems to be legal issues that are preventing the Alonso and Ferrari split.

Update on Bianchi:

B1M1CceCcAApvtP.jpg

dubc35

Update on Bianchi:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1M1CceCcAApvtP.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

The worst thing about these types of injuries is the slow pace of recovery. We all hope he would just get out of bed and be the old Jules but any advances will be slow. Yesterday is 10 months since Schumi's injury.

Top Bottom