• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

yeah, I'm shocked Bernie is still harping on it, as the outcry felt like it went away. A bit unprofessional to constantly be shitting on your own product.

I wish they sounded better, but oh well. If anything, I'd rather they focus on ways to better parity so one team doesn't rule the entire season or for years at a time.

Bernie is a race promoter. He knows the value of a spectacle and you absolutely cannot argue that F1 hasnt lost a bit of the spectacle it had with the wall of sound the v8 cars produced. When those v8s were revving to 19-20,000 rpm in 06,07, and 08, they sounded great. Even the latter stage of the v8 era with the blown diffuser and the bizarre cackling noise it made still sounded better than what we have today.
I dont think the noise situation is hopeless though, the turbos from the 80s sound much better than the ones we have today, we just need higher revs and a higher fuel flow limit.
Listen to the JPS Lotus from 85 and 86. Thats a v6 turbo, but it sounds like a proper Formula 1 car. Dirty. Guttural. Angry.

So it looks like there's a possibility that there will be a boycott of the race by Force India, Lotus and Sauber, in protest of F1's financial problems. It's perhaps not likely, but it's been reported that talks between these teams about the possibility of a boycott have at least happened.

Personally, I really hope it happens. It's probably the best way to force a decision on the issue by pulling this in America, and so soon after the collapse of two other teams.

Caramello

So it looks like there's a possibility that there will be a boycott of the race by Force India, Lotus and Sauber, in protest of F1's financial problems. It's perhaps not likely, but it's been reported that talks between these teams about the possibility of a boycott have at least happened.

Personally, I really hope it happens. It's probably the best way to force a decision on the issue by pulling this in America, and so soon after the collapse of two other teams.

Wow if that happens after last time...

DBT85

Lotus says they've heard nothing about a boycott.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116573
And although suggestions of a potential United States Grand Prix boycott by Sauber, Lotus and Force India have been played down, those three teams are likely to do all they can to try to force change.

Speaking about if there was a serious threat to not race, Lopez said: "I've just found out about the story now, so my answer is no.

"I've had a meeting with them about the cash distribution and so on, and that's it.

"I'm not aware of this. I don't even know where this comes from, and that's the whole point."

Aiii

So not worth it
A team has obligations, to the sport, to their teammembers, to the sponsors and most importantly to the FIA. You can't just boycot a race, the FIA has made sure of that. If you're signed up, you have to drive, unless you get permission to skip a race.

Hell. That's why in 2005, the Michelin teams all appeared at the start and then boxed at the end of the installation lap. I'm sure there are provisions in the contract with the FIA now that prevent that from happening, as well.

neoanarch

What's the minimum amount of laps Sauber have to complete to get a result? Can they just run a lap and retire? Because what's the point of risking a PU or worse if they have no chance of scoring points.

Sir Frank Williams is poorly in hospital? :(

Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari are first in line to run three cars if the grid is 18 next year, Williams and Mercedes are next if any pass, Red Bull have said they're ready.

Teams want more than one season with three cars.

Third car can't score WCC points.

Third car has to be driven by guest driver / rookie.

Third car can have a different livery.

The Demon Headmaster will cover the costs of the third car.

What a shit show, this rookie third car driver shit needs binning.

Aiii

So not worth it
Actually, the rookie driver part makes perfect sense if you think about it. The smaller teams have always been the go-to teams for graduating drivers, it's not gonna happen often that anyone is going to give the GP2 winner a spot in a top team right away. It's the whole reason Red Bull got Torro Rosso. So why not, if you lose those teams, ensure that rookie drivers have a proving ground still.

It also starts negating the reliance on bringing in a huge sack of cash to get a drive and gives a more equal ground for good rookie drivers to get into F1. How many drivers could have been outstanding F1 drivers, but never got a chance because they lost out on a seat to someone with a huge sum of sponsorship money coming in? At least with teams that don't rely on that kind of cash influx drivers will get picked based on talent and potential first, instead of the money they bring with them.

There's merit to less teams, but with more cars, at least, it's not as awful as some people imagine it is.

DBT85

What's the minimum amount of laps Sauber have to complete to get a result? Can they just run a lap and retire? Because what's the point of risking a PU or worse if they have no chance of scoring points.

They could easily just run a lap and retire.

But they'll want to be in the race. There could be a Maldonado level event and half the field could get wiped out at the start of the race.

itsgreen

To get a result, you have to be classified. You'll have to do at least 90% of the winner to be classified.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I highly doubt that if there will be 3 car option Mercedes would skip that chance. Third car would be ideal testing platform and teams with it could have a nice development advantage to other.

Sir Frank Williams is poorly in hospital? :(

BBC reporting that it is a routine treatment and he is responding well

DBT85

Based on FP2 best sectors, Hamilton is

3/10th faster in S1
3/10th slower in S2
0.5/10th slower in S3
2.6KPH slower in the speed trap than Rosberg.

Rosberg's best sectors would put him 8/100ths ahead of Hamilton

Based on FP2 best sectors, Hamilton is

3/10th faster in S1
3/10th slower in S2
0.5/10th slower in S3
2.6KPH slower in the speed trap than Rosberg.

Rosberg's best sectors would put him 8/100ths ahead of Hamilton

Wouldnt surprise me if Rosberg got pole. He seems to be able match and beat Hamilton quite regularly over the course of one lap, which I admit, is a surprise to me. I didnt think he had that speed.
But I expect Lewis to have him fully in hand on Sunday, provided he starts no lower than p2.

edit:Found that contentious interview with Ecclestone and Austin race promoter. Not even remotely concerned about Marussia and Caterham not showing up. Says "if the competition up front is good, the total number of cars doesnt matter....but it'd be nice to hear them"
Oof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrbdKQ3zzs

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1: Chilly morning in Austin as the air temperature works its way up to 7C! Probably won't be very much warmer for FP3
@adamcooperF1: Given how cold FP3 might be VET might gain more by using Q1 as his 'FP4' (with race temperatures), as I suggested yesterday

Hasney

Is lazenby not there?

America blocked his travel visa for being a thick twat?

He might actually be there later. I got confused and thought quali was starting now, not P3. :(

Fucks sake, I've been up 33 hours now and wanted to watch it before I had a nap.

FWIW:

B1WOvjCCMAA5KY8.png:large

DBT85

Sooner they stop fellating Ferrari the better.

P3 numbers

Lewis Hamilton 1:37.107, 1.1 seconds quicker than the Williams.

Nico Rosberg 1:37:990, 0.883 slower than Hmailton.

Lewis time is 2 sec faster than he did in FP2.

Other drivers managed between 2 and 1.2 sec faster than FP2.

Wouldnt surprise me if Rosberg got pole. He seems to be able match and beat Hamilton quite regularly over the course of one lap, which I admit, is a surprise to me. I didnt think he had that speed.
But I expect Lewis to have him fully in hand on Sunday, provided he starts no lower than p2.

edit:Found that contentious interview with Ecclestone and Austin race promoter. Not even remotely concerned about Marussia and Caterham not showing up. Says "if the competition up front is good, the total number of cars doesnt matter....but it'd be nice to hear them"
Oof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrbdKQ3zzs

Wow.. Sometimes you really love that old guy.. I totally agree with him on the engines.

Edit:and the comment about hearing the cars was in reference to the new engines and not the 2 teams

DBT85

Worth mentioning that Rosberg had a glazed rear brake.

I believe that was earlier in the session?

Hamilton had a spin at T12, then rosberg went off there and at T15.

Wow.. Sometimes you really love that old guy.. I totally agree with him on the engines.

Edit:and the comment about hearing the cars was in reference to the new engines and not the 2 teams

So 2 teams go out due to the cost of the sport, and he wants the engine makers to develop new engines again with what money?Just going back to the old V8s would be moronic and make the sport look stupid.

Pimpwerx

Is the live timing app screwing up for anyone? It keeps thinking the events are starting an hour off. I think the time change is fucking with it. WTH am I paying for a service that doesn't work properly half the time? PEACE.

Fox Mulder

Is the live timing app screwing up for anyone? It keeps thinking the events are starting an hour off. I think the time change is fucking with it. WTH am I paying for a service that doesn't work properly half the time? PEACE.

daylight savings time sucks. I've even had phones give me issues with it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Force India, Sauber and Lotus are ready to cause trouble.

During Sky's buildup to qually, people are openly talking about that bosses of those teams are in serious discussion to boycott tomorrow's race.

Zeknurn

10 place grid penalty for Kvyat for using a 7th power unit element.

Edit: Like Crofty just said. Why not replace the whole unit and start from the pit lane this race instead of carrying the penalty over till the next race with no Marussia and Caterham behind him.

Force India, Sauber and Lotus are ready to cause trouble.

During Sky's buildup to qually, people are openly talking about that bosses of those teams are in serious discussion to boycott tomorrow's race.

Gerad Lopez debunked it.

Juicy Bob

Yeah. Given that this is a qualifying session at the sharp end of a pretty dramatic championship, it's just not giving me that buzz.

DBT85

The fastest lap time so far is 1.2 secs off FP3, and its fairly certain the top cars can go even faster still.

EDIT. Hamilton puts in a 1:37.2 in Q1. Damn.

Some stands aren't even half full.

Top Bottom