• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gifted |OT| Mondays on FOX at 9/8c

Ashhong

I think people are saying that cause of the line talking about the X-Men and the brotherhood disappearing and no one knows if they still exist. Still doesn’t make sense with Logan though cause the kids are the last batch of mutants in the movie and they’ve all been genetically engineered after the humans found a way to suppress the X gene in the general population.

Couldn't this just be a decade after Logan? At least, that's what I'm pretending

Leagues better than the mess that was the Inhumans "pilot" I'm in for more. I think people should just go along with the ride and not try to place it into any continuity of another show or movie because they're probably not putting much if any effort into doing so either. Remember in Logan
mutants are seemingly by large, eradicated by 2029 when Logan takes place from a secret sterilization though genetically altered corn or something added to the food supply (I'm running off memory here) that lead to a sterilization took place in the early 2000s

Is this blonde girl Hayden Panettiere's clone?
That was enjoyable. So the kid has some sort of..... Telekinetic powers or vibrational powers.

What's the girls power, the one who looks like Chloë Grace Moretz?

o_O She doesn't look like either of them aside from being blonde and even still, it's not even the same type of blonde.

I feel like I've seen her in something before but can't place it.

Maybe just this, ha.
Or The Goldbergs (Dana) or both.

Couldn't this just be a decade after Logan? At least, that's what I'm pretending

Remember, Logan takes place in 2029.

Sir Doom

That nostalgia pull of X-men ringtone

So is this pre-Logan timeline and post X-men whatever movie because mutants on the run

Damn only one episode I wanted more which is a good sign

Edit: I hope they are smarter here than the X-men movie, shows random mutant in the background with no purpose but ‘member him. you member

Pachimari

So is this pre-Logan timeline and post X-men whatever movie because mutants on the run
I’m pretty sure Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has stated that The Gifted is its own universe and in its own corner, just like Legion. So they aren’t directly connected to the film universe or the timeline.

caliph95

I’m pretty sure Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has stated that The Gifted is its own universe and in its own corner, just like Legion. So they aren’t directly connected to the film universe or the timeline.
Not like the movies have airtight continuity anyway

Dynasty

Really enjoyed it, great cast as well. The mother played Root in Person of Interest so really hoping they have written her character well.

The pilot was a bit generic but promising nonetheless. I particularly liked Lorna. I miss the green hair but oh well.
I know it's a completely different kind of show but compared to Gotham, also on Fox, this looked very bland visually. I expected better from Singer.
And lol at the most useless Stan Lee cameo ever. But the ringtone thing was cute.
A decent start.

Ashhong

Remember, Logan takes place in 2029.

Well then, I stand by my logic even more. It was 2029 but I don't think there was any kind of future tech at all. It looked like modern day. This taking place ~15 years after could work. That's what I will tell myself at least.

Zoe

Well then, I stand by my logic even more. It was 2029 but I don't think there was any kind of future tech at all. It looked like modern day. This taking place ~15 years after could work. That's what I will tell myself at least.

There was definitely future tech with the driverless 18-wheelers and the phones (IIRC).

The Gifted showed a payphone :lol

Ashhong

There was definitely future tech with the driverless 18-wheelers and the phones (IIRC).

The Gifted showed a payphone :lol

Fuck. Touche lol, though I don't remember anything special about the phones. Though at the same time, not all trucks were driverless, so that could STILL be in this universe as well. Doesn't really matter in the long run, just speculating for fun

Pachimari

I'm glad I like all the actors so far, although i hate the family boy. Hopefully I can turn around on him in upcoming episodes. How many episodes is this supposed to be, 13?

Pilgrimzero

Really should have called it New Mutants. Or X-something.

Gifted makes me think it should be set at a school or something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Only person in the cast I can’t stand is Vampire Bill. I’ve hated his “American” accent since True Blood. Wish they would have let him use his real accent or that he gets killed off this season.

Geist-

Seems pretty good for what it is. I liked the kids at first but that changed as the episode went on, was really not feeling them by the end. Mutant Underground characters were pretty good though.

I enjoyed it surprisingly. Much better than AoS thats for sure.

Ehhh debatable, but we can all agree it was far superior to Inhumans lol

Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

And damn Jamie Chung is gorgeous.

Really should have called it New Mutants. Or X-something.

Gifted makes me think it should be set at a school or something.

They're already doing a New Mutants movie.

Ri'Orius

On the whole I liked it, but man, this entire show is going to be "we're trapped! Blink, do your thing!" "I can't, guys!" "DO IT!" "okay fine..."

Like, if your organization's whole purpose is getting mutants across the border, and you now have someone who can just open portals... like, doesn't that trivialize the whole thing? Yeah, you need to run one more real op to get her across the border so she can portal there, but then it's just a matter of getting within five feet of the runaway and you're good. Especially if they keep the forcefield girl, whose power nicely complement's Blink's "I can only open a portal very slowly" weakness quite nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blink in general: she was sweet in the DoFP movie, the Exiles comics, etc. Throwing crystals that teleport whomever they hit? Totally rad. Just... doesn't seem like she can fit in a show about threats at this scale. It's pitting Thor versus Kingpin, y'know?

But I still watch The Flash even though they're never consistent with his power level, and I've always been on Team Marvel in general, so I'm probably watching this show forever.

Ross61

On the whole I liked it, but man, this entire show is going to be "we're trapped! Blink, do your thing!" "I can't, guys!" "DO IT!" "okay fine..."

Like, if your organization's whole purpose is getting mutants across the border, and you now have someone who can just open portals... like, doesn't that trivialize the whole thing? Yeah, you need to run one more real op to get her across the border so she can portal there, but then it's just a matter of getting within five feet of the runaway and you're good. Especially if they keep the forcefield girl, whose power nicely complement's Blink's "I can only open a portal very slowly" weakness quite nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blink in general: she was sweet in the DoFP movie, the Exiles comics, etc. Throwing crystals that teleport whomever they hit? Totally rad. Just... doesn't seem like she can fit in a show about threats at this scale. It's pitting Thor versus Kingpin, y'know?

But I still watch The Flash even though they're never consistent with his power level, and I've always been on Team Marvel in general, so I'm probably watching this show forever.
Their way to the border was found out, how are they gonna get her there now?

Ri'Orius

Their way to the border was found out, how are they gonna get her there now?

They didn't have just one way to the border at the place where they got caught: that was some anonymous location where people happened to converge for plot reasons. But just before the Sentinels showed up (love 'em as a police force, btw), Flashlight was saying that sometimes they go under the wall, sometimes over, sometimes through. So apparently they've got multiple routes, which makes sense.

The Underground has been getting mutants across the border for some time now, with a reasonable amount of success it sounds like. It'd feel super lame if now all of a sudden they can't figure out how to do it one last time because plot.

Seems pretty good for what it is. I liked the kids at first but that changed as the episode went on, was really not feeling them by the end. Mutant Underground characters were pretty good though.

The Fenris twins are bland characters. They remind me of Claire's children from the lackluster Heroes Reborn.

Jag

The Fenris twins are bland characters. They remind me of Claire's children from the lackluster Heroes Reborn.

I got that vibe from them too. Overall the writing of Gifted blows away Heroes Reborn. That show was a shell of the early Heroes which was the best non-comic based comic show at the time.

They obviously had other methods of getting people out of the country. They only just met Blink, how do you think they were doing it before? Looks like she is still coming to grips with what she can do so I doubt they'll have her underpowered like that for long.

Slayven

They obviously had other methods of getting people out of the country. They only just met Blink, how do you think they were doing it before? Looks like she is still coming to grips with what she can do so I doubt they'll have her underpowered like that for long.
And thunderbird? Dude is suppose to able to go toe to toe with the juggernaut.

Wow, I did not expect this much to happen in episode 1. Normally half of the season would be the kids hiding they're mutants from the parents, the second hald the parents hiding that from the authorities and a season finale cliffhanger where their secrets come out and they go on the run. This is CW level plot velocity and I like it.

Everyone (except for Jamie Chung's silly contact lenses) is pretty good, especially Emma Dumont, the fiercest Bunhead.

tumblr_myejtihpaw1rbfwp0o1_400.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Everyone (except for Jamie Chung's silly contact lenses) is pretty good, especially Emma Dumont, the fiercest Bunhead.

They went overboard with the contacts. Some regular green, maybe a little brighter than normal, would be fine.

Is that who that is?! I knew she looked super familiar. I loved Bunheads!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, I did not expect this much to happen in episode 1. Normally half of the season would be the kids hiding they're mutants from the parents, the second hald the parents hiding that from the authorities and a season finale cliffhanger where their secrets come out and they go on the run. This is Agents of SHIELD plot velocity and I like it.

fixed =P

caliph95

Wow, I did not expect this much to happen in episode 1. Normally half of the season would be the kids hiding they're mutants from the parents, the second hald the parents hiding that from the authorities and a season finale cliffhanger where their secrets come out and they go on the run. This is CW level plot velocity and I like it.

Lol Yeah I like cw shows but that's not really accurate

Rvaan

Banned

Jesus that looks like it hurt.

Top Bottom