• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

Humble must not have been happy with subscription numbers considering the games in these two bundles. I do wonder how they get publishers to agree to those prices though.

I haven't yet been disappointed with subscribing to this. This is a particularly great month though, a lot of games here I have on my wishlist. Particularly excited about Abzu. I also just read an expansion of Warhammer will add Lizardmen, so I am excited for that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I haven't yet been disappointed with subscribing to this. This is a particularly great month though, a lot of games here I have on my wishlist. Particularly excited about Abzu. I also just read an expansion of Warhammer will add Lizardmen, so I am excited for that.

I'm in the same boat. I like each month as I often do end up with games I didn't own before and most of them interest me, but I have broad tastes (even if I lean a bit stronger for horror games). But my broad taste and the fact most all of these haven't ever been bundled before makes it so it's a nice surprise every month.

Some months I do enjoy much more than others, and I do think this month was a particularly good month, but I've been enjoying Humble Monthly so far and think they've done a pretty good job with the diversity of their selections.

Ptaaty

Dang. My first monthly bundle...like many I came for the Xcom 2 (even immediately cancelled).

Get this drop of interesting games, I would be a full time subscriber if I didn't have such a nasty backlog. I can't imagine anyone relatively new to PC gaming or steam not subscribing.

CmdBash

I don't have to buy the race dlc to play against them in campaign right? And are the lord packs necessary for a good experience?

Pachael

Bought Abzu and Ryse in the winter sale, but Highrise, Steamworld Heist and Xcom this month and TW:Warhammer next month made it up for me - will continue subscribing (that's what they want, so sure). Got 10% off the Durante fixed Little King's story as a bonus too.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Okhlos -- MB-25B01B4DF770FCD0 - Taken by Whitebison

Jeiiya

Yeah, I'm in for the next month. Total War Warhammer is too hard to pass up at that price. Too bad about the whole DLC thing though.

zulux21

Humble must not have been happy with subscription numbers considering the games in these two bundles. I do wonder how they get publishers to agree to those prices though.

well I imagine despite the great games they still don't sell a ton of these. I think last we counted it was something as small as like 50k subs estimated.

these bundles on the other hand get a decent amount of exposure going for the games involved. they are once a month and get advertised quite well.

really the big thing they don't advertise well enough is the 10% off and 5% to your wallet they have going on. (or well to charities but still)

the humble store often has deals that match steam anymore. but as a humble monthly subscriber you get 10% off that price which can save you some money (though you can only buy 2 of the same items from the store) the 5% back is also before the 10% off so it's a 15% discount compared to steam.

so for example I recently bough two copies of god eater burst when it matched the steam low price of $20, but thanks to humble monthly i paid $18 per, and got a $1 credit on my account per meaning it was $3 cheaper (Which fits with 15% :p)

that being said if you are smart any puchases on steam should always be at a 10% discount as you just stock up when there is a gift card sale but still it's a nice plus to the monthly subs as long as you make sure games redeem on steam (most do some are uplay or origin though)

but getting back on point.
it's likely a combination of exposure, a bit of money for charity (only a bit though as I don't think much of the monthly ones go to charity), and an influx of quick cash. as if we assume something simple like each game gets $2 (which likely isn't correct as I imagine the headliner gets more) then each company gets like 100k from it (if you assume 50k sales) which for some of the bigger companies isn't a huge deal, but for some of the smaller indie teams can be a nice boost of money.

but it could also be a case where the subs are going up do to the games and more people knowing about it... and instead of a per sale basis they are flat sums and thus they can afford bigger titles.

anyways I am rambling a ton which means I am tired.... so uh... I will revisit this after I wake up lol.

Wok

the humble store often has deals that match steam anymore. but as a humble monthly subscriber you get 10% off that price which can save you some money (though you can only buy 2 of the same items from the store) the 5% back is also before the 10% off so it's a 15% discount compared to steam.

No, it is after, but anyway, it is multiplicative, so it does not change the result (product is commutative), it is a 14.5% discount.

0.9*0.95 = 0.855

For what it's worth if anyone's down to use my referral code to get this month's stuff:

https://humble.com/monthly?refc=c8WZ9B
https://humble.com/monthly?refc=c8WZ9B

Thank you to my new anonymous benefactor :) You guys are the best

Edit: Thank you again to the new cool human bean that used it. You made me and Sachee very happy
dq5sfO0.jpg

'nother edit: Thanks to whomever used the link recently, my most hearty thanks. Here's another thank you from Sachee as well:

1HNfWqy.jpg

zulux21

No, it is after, but anyway, it is multiplicative, so it does not change the result (product is commutative), it is a 14.5% discount.

0.9*0.95 = 0.855

unless they changed it from 3 weeks ago it's before.

god eater was $20

after discount it was $18

the two times I bought it I got $1 back which is 5% of $20 not $18.

Total Warhammer is an insanely good deal. Don't worry about the DLC, the basic races provide hundreds of hours of gameplay.

They've also integrated the DLC pretty smoothly, so everyone plays the same game. Lacking the DLC just means you can't play as the new races/characters, and you can't play their mini-campaign in the case of elves and beastmen.
Paying 2 quid to 'unlock' blood effects is taking the piss though.

Corpekata

Banned
The blood thing is an MSRP workaround IIRC. Make it DLC and they can release at retail as T for teen, make it a base game option, it's M. That's what they said, at least. They did it with Shogun 2 as well.

Im_Special

The blood thing is an MSRP workaround IIRC. Make it DLC and they can release at retail as T for teen, make it a base game option, it's M. That's what they said, at least. They did it with Shogun 2 as well.

There has been plenty of free DLC for games on steam where you need to add it separately, they could've also made the thing 25cents and not $3 for an option, it's a greedy BS thing to do.

bigace33

So what do people do with games they already own/don't want?

Sell? Trade?

(new to this)
I usually sell keys that I already own for a few dollars. It really helps offset the cost of the bundle every month. I get a game or two I like and others can get AAA games for $1 or so.

Total War Warhammer alone would be worth $12, it's a shame i already have the game but i might get it anyway. I regret not buying this months, there were some great games included but i didn't get it because i had XCOM 2. I suppose i could always get it and then give away or sell Total War: Warhammer.

I'm not entirely sure if it's allowed but at the moment it gives £4 store credit if someone uses your referral link to subscribe, if anyone is planning on getting the next bundle i would greatly appreciate it if you used mine: https://humble.com/monthly?refc=FVoEG6

Mutant

The games this month are great.

The Humble Original game this month is great.

The early game next month is great.

I love this damn service.

That was crazy value last month. I didn't get it, but the only game in there I really wanted was Abzu. Already played most the others. Already have Total War Warhammer as well, can't recommend it enough. Worth it for that alone just like last month for Xcom 2.

jetsetrez

Damn, super bummed I didn't get in on Feb. I wasn't interested in Xcom 2, but would've loved Abzu, Steamworld Heist, and Ryse for $12.

zulux21

Damn, super bummed I didn't get in on Feb. I wasn't interested in Xcom 2, but would've loved Abzu, Steamworld Heist, and Ryse for $12.

if you go through the buy sell trade thread on neogaf you can no doubt get those 3 games for less than $12 from other people.

or if you really want to pay $12 for them I haven't decided if I care enough to install any of those games yet and would sell you those three games for $12 :p

NimbusD

I hate people. I wound up skipping last monthly because everyone said the bundle would be shit and I was iffy on XCOM 2 only because I haven't played the first one yet.

But you were all wrong. All of you. Stupid negative internet people.

zulux21

I hate people. I wound up skipping last monthly because everyone said the bundle would be shit and I was iffy on XCOM 2 only because I haven't played the first one yet.

I didn't say it would be bad... I likely didn't comment, as if I did my comment would be the same as usual.

just buy it... worst case you can get pretty much all of your money back by selling the keys over the next month if not turn a small profit.

zulux21

don't forget if you are a first time sub to ask your friends if they have a referral code (they should on their profile page) as if you sub with their code they get $5 to their humble wallet)

personally if it wasn't frowned upon here to share such a thing I would share mine and then everytime someone used my referral code buy a $5 game to modbot away here.

but i figure you guys should know about that so your friends can get a little cash if they already sub.

NimbusD

I didn't say it would be bad... I likely didn't comment, as if I did my comment would be the same as usual.

just buy it... worst case you can get pretty much all of your money back by selling the keys over the next month if not turn a small profit.

Yeah I know. I'm just frustrated. I let the people who are always pessimistic about everything get the better of me and I missed out. Oops.

Jimrpg

Picked up Project Highrise for $1

Was in my Top 10 on my Steam Wishlist, so pretty stoked about that!

I have a theory that as Humble gets more subscribers the games will get better (hopefully).

Lemstar

seems pretty inauspicious that they felt obliged to hand out $5 in free money to people for resubbing during a month where the leading game is probably the best one to date (it's going for $15ish at G2A)

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I have a theory that as Humble gets more subscribers the games will get better (hopefully).

What do you mean better? The selection has been excellent of recent months. I don't think it's reasonable to expect more at this point. Total Warhammer came out only half a year ago. That's pretty notable.

zulux21

seems pretty inauspicious that they felt obliged to hand out $5 in free money to people for resubbing during a month where the leading game is probably the best one to date (it's going for $15ish at G2A)

the referrals actually only work for people who haven't subbed before. or at least that is what the page says.

Sarcasm

The games have been good.

It is only for new subs, not resubs. Well it didn't work for a friend who previously only sub'd for one month.

me0wish

I've seen two types of negative comments on gaf:

1- Bundle sucks, I already own most of the games: Shouldn't it be the opposite? The bundle is really great that's why you own most of the games?

2- I didn't want any of those games!!
It wouldn't necessarily give you games you want, but rather introduce you to great games you never knew about.

Bottom line is, if you don't buy every game that comes out, and you're into a variety of genres and looking for something new, the bundle is of great value. Don't let the Internet decide what you want.

Tbh I don't know how they'll ever top Xcom 2 and Dragon's Dogma and Rocket League. Those were amazing monthly leads.

Total War is neat but I'm interested in the other mystery games this time.

Top Bottom