• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The I bought the DVD/Blu-Ray and don't want the digital version give away thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're starting a new thread or revamping the current OP, can we please, please, PLEASE insist on Modbot or PMs for giveaways. It drives me crazy when someone posts a code openly and it's snatched within seconds by a lurker who doesn't participate in this thread and may not even post on GAF at all.
I do prefer modbot, but I don't think it or other method should be mandated at all. A lot of creativity in giveaways and entries happens as a result. Missing out on some giveaways is just the name of the game.

Although, I think the new OP should have a link to the modbot tutorial thread.

HeySeuss

You've both been here long enough to know there is NO BEGGING in the thread. :p

If you want a specific code, head to B/S/T or PMs.

No dibs here, otherwise this would just turn into another begging thread.

I may not be new to this forum, but I've never participated in this thread before. But I understand no worries.

Jme

If we're starting a new thread or revamping the current OP, can we please, please, PLEASE insist on Modbot or PMs for giveaways. It drives me crazy when someone posts a code openly and it's snatched within seconds by a lurker who doesn't participate in this thread and may not even post on GAF at all.
Agreed

I'll certainly include a link to the Modbot how-to in the OP, but putting restrictions on giveways isn't cool.

Remember, the givers are doing everyone else a favor. Givers decide how to give.

If a giver wants to do Modbot, fine.
If a giver just wants to do a dump, fine.

You don't want to put up any barriers for a giver.

Include information about how to hide a code in email tags where it has to be quoted to be revealed* so unregistered users can't take it.

Like this:

*Or the person can just look at the page source html, but it's at least another step.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'll certainly include a link to the Modbot how-to in the OP, but putting restrictions on giveways isn't cool.

Remember, the givers are doing everyone else a favor. Givers decide how to give.

If a giver wants to do Modbot, fine.
If a giver just wants to do a dump, fine.

You don't want to put up any barriers for a giver.

I fully agree with this.

Now if we have a volunteer OP to receive codes from givers and Modbot them daily/weekly on their behalf, that's something else. It makes it zero effort for the giver and it allows GAFers to have first dibs.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I do prefer modbot, but I don't think it or other method should be mandated at all. A lot of creativity in giveaways and entries happens as a result. Missing out on some giveaways is just the name of the game.

I might be in the minority, but I enjoy contests like guessing games, posting gifs of best movie parts etc.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Same.

Seems to me some of you want a lot of rules for a free giveaway.

I've been lurking for for around a year now, and have missed out many many giveaway options. Sure, if someone dumps a movie code up front, it's gone immediately, but that's their choice. I've been lazy and just tossed up free game codes before, because it worked for me. It should be a matter of choice, and that's too bad if people miss out due to timing. I've been there PLENTY of times, but free is free.

Ravek

Banned
I've been lurking for for around a year now, and have missed out many many giveaway options. Sure, if someone dumps a movie code up front, it's gone immediately, but that's their choice. I've been lazy and just tossed up free game codes before, because it worked for me. It should be a matter of choice, and that's too bad if people miss out due to timing. I've been there PLENTY of times, but free is free.

Exactly

Syriel

Don't worry. Not planning on changing up any of the thread's major established rules.

Rules in the new OP will simply re-state the basics.

What I could use some help with is a brief overview of how iTunes handles regions. I'm not a heavy user of iTunes (got Google and UV covered) so if someone could write up a brief bit on what is needed to setup-and-use an out-of-region iTunes account (can you even purchase/playback that way) that would rock.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can someone fill me in on this modbot method of giving away codes? I didn't get a chance to post those codes yesterday but I certainly will today. I was just gonna put them all in my post, as I didn't want to have to deal with a tonne of PM's for the next day or so.

Thanks, it seems that may not be the best format for me as the codes may not actually work for some people due to the region, if so I would like others to try and claim them.
You can always just specify these codes are from UK, other regions can use proxies to redeem them for most major releases but it varies on the studio and the streaming provider. I have a copy of The World's End in limbo I can watch on Flixster but doesn't show up in Vudu.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
OK, as promised here are a list of the movies I have codes for. As previously mentioned, these are UK/IRELAND ONLY aside from 3 exceptions which are at the top of the list. They very well may work in the US and elsewhere, but I would ask that you don't request a code unless you are reasonably confident you can get it to work.

They are from a variety of 4K, 3D and 1080p sets. I have no idea if this makes any difference but I will note it next to each movie. PM me for a code, I have no idea what the response may be so it may be a while before I can get back to you. I will reply to all PMs either way. These are all UV codes except for Star Trek Beyond (I'll include instructions in the PM for that one).

US Code
John Wick (4K) Gone
Hacksaw Ridge (4K) Gone

German Code
Popstar: Never Stop Never StoppingGone

UK/Ireland Code
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (4K) Gone
Underworld: Blood Wars (4K) Gone
John Wick 2 (4K) Gone
X-Men Apocalypse (4K) Gone
San Andreas (3D)
The WitchGone
Sin City 2 (3D)
The Revenant (4K)Gone
Kingsman: The Secret Service (4K) Gone
Assassins Creed (4K) Gone
Star Trek Beyond (3D) iTunes ONLY
Suicide Squad (4K) Gone
Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (4K) Gone
Deadpool (4K) Gone

Apologies that it's not quite as many as promised, turns out Star Wars/Marvel/Disney Blu-rays don't come with digital codes over here. There would be at least 10 more if they did.

Edit: Just to reiterate, please PM for a code. Thanks

OK, as promised here are a list of the movies I have codes for. As previously mentioned, these are UK/IRELAND ONLY aside from 3 exceptions which are at the top of the list. They very well may work in the US and elsewhere, but I would ask that you don't request a code unless you are reasonably confident you can get it to work.

They are from a variety of 4K, 3D and 1080p sets. I have no idea if this makes any difference but I will note it next to each movie. PM me for a code, I have no idea what the response may be so it may be a while before I can get back to you. I will reply to all PMs either way. These are all UV codes except for Star Trek Beyond (I'll include instructions in the PM for that one.

US CODE
John Wick (4K)
Hacksaw Ridge (4K)

German Code
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

UK/Ireland
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (4K)
Underworld: Blood Wars (4K)
John Wick 2 (4K)
X-Men Apocalypse (4K)
San Andreas (3D)
The Witch
Sin City 2 (3D)
The Revenant (4K)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (4K)
Assassins Creed (4K)
Star Trek Beyond (3D)
Suicide Squad (4K)
Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (4K)
Deadpool (4K)

Apologies that it's not quite as many as promised, turns out Star Wars/Marvel/Disney Blu-rays don't come with digital codes over here. There would be at least 10 more if they did.

I'll take John Wick.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
4k digital codes? All the US codes are grabbed, so I'll just ask a question on it: do these work ok if you do not own a 4k tv yet? Would it just be scaled down?

Markitron

4k digital codes? All the US codes are grabbed, so I'll just ask a question on it: do these work ok if you do not own a 4k tv yet? Would it just be scaled down?

I really don't know, If you can redeem 4K versions of these I would imagine there would be no problem with watching on a 1080p screen.

They are from a variety of 4K, 3D and 1080p sets. I have no idea if this makes any difference but I will note it next to each movie. PM me for a code, I have no idea what the response may be so it may be a while before I can get back to you. I will reply to all PMs either way. These are all UV codes except for Star Trek Beyond (I'll include instructions in the PM for that one).

US CODE
John Wick (4K) Gone
Hacksaw Ridge (4K) Gone

German Code
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

UK/Ireland
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (4K)
Underworld: Blood Wars (4K)
John Wick 2 (4K)
X-Men Apocalypse (4K)
San Andreas (3D)
The Witch
Sin City 2 (3D)
The Revenant (4K)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (4K)
Assassins Creed (4K)
Star Trek Beyond (3D)
Suicide Squad (4K)
Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (4K)
Deadpool (4K)

Edit: Just to reiterate, please PM for a code. Thanks

Underworld blood wars please. Thanks

Correct, you will get HDX (HD quality) on a 1080p screen, but the 4k UHD quality will be on your account for use with 4k screens.

Markitron

Correct, you will get HDX (HD quality) on a 1080p screen, but the 4k UHD quality will be on your account for use with 4k screens.

Damn that is handy, I should be charging you motherfuckers! :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the revenant 4K bluray so I guess it must have a code. Are there any U.K. Providers with 4K streaming? UK UV suppliers see very basic compared to the US

Markitron

I'll leave the original list up for a while and then post a shortened down version of it. I reckon at that point, anyone I have already given a code to can ask for another if they want.

Someone really should have asked me for The Witch by now, it's fucking awesome.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Markitron, that code worked. Thank you!

EDIT: on second look, it never added to my library. Maybe the other guy figured it out before I did. Dang!

Markitron

OK so it's just San Andreas, Star Trek Beyond and Sin City that's left.

All three are UK/IE codes, Star Trek is iTunes only

Please PM for a code.

Stanng243

Since this is pretty much the UV topic, does anyone have a link to the list of 4k movies, and whether/where they redeem? Thank you.

Syriel

Update on new thread:

I should have an OP ready to go this weekend. Caddy has been helping out with some good looking banners.

Two quick items the thread can help out with tho:

1) I've got VUDU covered as the preferred UV provider for the US, with secondary mentions of Flixster, Fandango, and Cinema Now. Flixster also worked for Canada and Europe, and I've got TalkTalk (UK based) as an option for non Americans.

Are there any other major UV providers in mainland Europe or Aus that should be covered?

2) I'm going to try to keep the thread title as close as possible to the original, but open to tweaking it w/a subhead if anyone has some exceptionally witty suggestions.

Also, should we keep it as DVD/Blu-ray or switch to DMA/UV/iTunes as the main mention in the title?

Feedback appreciated as it's the members that make this thread such a valuable resource.

Markitron

I still have codes for Star Trek Beyond and Sin City 2.

Both are UK, Star Trek is iTunes only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom