• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Real Racing runs at 60 fps whereas Real Racing 2 dips into the 20's at times. I actually hate Real Racing 2, it brings out obsessive compulsive tendencies in me to the point where I can't really have fun because I must get 1st place on every circuit. With that said, it's a great racer, and the graphics are awesome. I just have a lot more fun with something arcadey like Need 4 Speed Hot Pursuit.

Mrbob

Hmm, maybe I'll get the first one and wait for part two to get performance patches.

The more I play DMC4 Refrain the less I can recommend it. I mean it is OK for 2 bucks but it really is a hacked up version of DMC4. The way levels and boss fights and story flow is kind of pathetic for the itouch version. Especially if you have finished DMC4. If you haven't played DMC4 it won't be as big of an issue but you should probably take the two bucks and put it towards the real thing.

LCfiner

Mrbob said:
Hmm, maybe I'll get the first one and wait for part two to get performance patches.

The more I play DMC4 Refrain the less I can recommend it. I mean it is OK for 2 bucks but it really is a hacked up version of DMC4. The way levels and boss fights and story flow is kind of pathetic for the itouch version. Especially if you have finished DMC4. If you haven't played DMC4 it won't be as big of an issue but you should probably take the two bucks and put it towards the real thing.

If you want to get a feel for how Real Racing 1 plays, pick up the free GTI sponsored version. it's been updated with retina gfx support just like the full game. it's basically a demo

Mrbob said:

Heh... I feel like that's the case with a lot of "big boy" iOS games. You're initially taken aback by the fact that a dev actually put forth some effort into a "real game" on the app store, only to realize that the experience has become diluted in order to be shoehorned onto your iDevice. It just becomes impossible not to compare the experience to something that's available on the DS or PSP, let alone on a full fledged console. And I think that's where the app store runs into some trouble - people are so used to the price disruptive tactic of devs shelling out a fast but fun experience for a pittance that the console publishers have no idea how to approach the platform. They know that there are people that want a traditional "console-esque" experience, and yet the average iOS gamer feels entitled to $1-$3 games that are not only high in quality, but are constantly supplemented by content updates. How can you deliver a "console" like quality experience (especially in light of the Unreal/Rage engine) and yet price according to the public's expectations? How will you recoup your costs? And that leaves the consumer with stuff like DMC4R, Dead Space iOS, Dead Rising iOS, Resident Evil, etc.

Then again, I never cared for DMC4 in the first place (especially after 3), so whatevs.

snack

Is Game Dev Story easy to master? I'm currently trying out the Lite version. Seems fun, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. lol

It is actually, because you end up dumping all of your time into it. I introduced a friend of mine to it one night, and it annoyed the shit out of his wife because he spent every waking moment of the next few days looking at his touch lol. He said he was at a party holding his little girl in one arm and staring down at the touch in his other hand. So... if you have any pressing concerns that need to be addressed in the next few days, my advice is to not get the full version just yet :lol

qsh

Neo Member
BuzzJive said:
Hey qsh, my 3G will play the game, but the scores aren't doing anything. There's no online action. I'm assuming you're targeting Game Center only devices, but there's no indication of that anywhere.

Hi BuzzJive!

Please could you tell me more about your issue? We are supporting iOS 4.0 and higher, and Game Center is available since 4.0, so... you should have it. Maybe after taping Send score button you should wait a few seconds to connect to GC servers?

See you on top!

Rlan

qsh said:
Hi BuzzJive!

Please could you tell me more about your issue? We are supporting iOS 4.0 and higher, and Game Center is available since 4.0, so... you should have it. Maybe after taping Send score button you should wait a few seconds to connect to GC servers?

See you on top!

Game Center is not available whatsoever for 3G phones, so games that use Game Center on iPhone can't actually support 3G users. The way around this is to support both Game Center and Openfeint, which works on all iPhones and Android devices (if you want to go there)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
kennah said:
Uh guys... Games like geo wars have been around since near the beginning of gaming. You could argue asteroids spawned the genre but twin stick shooters have been around since the eighties. See smashTV. it's the exact same type of game, just the dude walks around instead of being a spaceship. There are lots of other examples if you look.
Yeah, well, I played them in the arcades non-stop back in the '80s.
I think it's kinda moot to argue with us if you haven't seen IF. The argument was about the dude bullshitting the same way as saying Great Giana Sisters' not a SMB clone or Katakis not a R-Type rip-off; that doesn't mean those games are not great by their own merits. Nobody said GW created the twin stick shooter genre, read cjelly's post again.

Anyway, back on topic:
Mad Skill Motocross definitely needs a screen lock option, I'm playing it and BAM, screen flips and I'm fucked :p

dream

Kodiak said:
The level design in Dead Space iOS is beyond atrocious.

Oh god, there's so much wrong with the level design that I don't even know where to start. I didn't even bother finishing it.

Reese-015

Flying Hamster is great! Bubble Bobble Double is awesome! Excellent sales...

For those who don't know Bubble Bobble Double: even though the game has a 'classic' mode, the main 'new style' mode has very little to do with the old Bubble Bobble (which I never played myself though). Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irvY6iu2Hvc

I *love* the graphics, fx, smooth framerate and controls. It also seems to have a ton of variety in terms of enemies and boss battles, lots of content. (and this video is from the first level, levels become visually and musically better after that)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How's Maestro Green Groove? I loved Maestro Jump 'n Music on NDS but I never tried the DSiWare game which has been ported to iOS a few months ago. It should be perfectly suited to the platform aftter all and it's only 99c. Looking at screenshots it seems to be just the DsiWare graphics blown up, is that the case? It's not Universal, so it might look horrible on 2x iPad.
Anyway, is the game just a watered down version of retail game or it's a "real" game with some longevity of its own?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Battleheart is great! Played for about two hours before I had to stop. It's nearly 3 in the morning. Lots of skill required, and the game is very challenging, especially the first 'world'. Ton of stuff to do with all the character unlocks/equipment available. Epic boss battles too. This game is going to kill my iPad battery, I can tell.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dash Kappei said:
How's Maestro Green Groove? I loved Maestro Jump 'n Music on NDS but I never tried the DSiWare game which has been ported to iOS a few months ago. It should be perfectly suited to the platform aftter all and it's only 99c. Looking at screenshots it seems to be just the DsiWare graphics blown up, is that the case? It's not Universal, so it might look horrible on 2x iPad.
Anyway, is the game just a watered down version of retail game or it's a "real" game with some longevity of its own?
It hasn't bee updated to work with iOS 4 and has been broken ever since.

Rlan

I've been addicted to Words With Friends for a while. Just looking the official UK Scrabble version on the iTunes Store.. does this seriously not have online play? Local only or Wifi or against a CPU? Seriously? How the hell does it sell better than WWF?

Minsc

Gold Member
Rlan said:
I've been addicted to Words With Friends for a while. Just looking the official UK Scrabble version on the iTunes Store.. does this seriously not have online play? Local only or Wifi or against a CPU? Seriously? How the hell does it sell better than WWF?

Yea, it's weird. The US version is incredible, asynchronous play w/ Facebook, so you can play anyone, not just iPhone users.

The app is just about perfect too, very weird the Euro one lacks online play, kills it, I agree.

Mrbob

I'm thinking about buying a 2nd gen ipad when they come out. Can I transfer content to both my ipad when I'm at home and my itouch when I'm the road or do I have to choose one?

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm thinking about buying a 2nd gen ipad when they come out. Can I transfer content to both my ipad when I'm at home and my itouch when I'm the road or do I have to choose one?
Both, it's account specific so just log in with the same itunes account.

Mejilan said:
Could have sworn I read that it was intended for level 1 characters, sorry!

Also, I never recommended trying it out. Someone asked earlier today and I suggested getting a feel for the game with The Quest Lite instead. I've not played the free expansion and have no idea if it closely follows the main game or not.
It's all good. Could you tell us if the expansions are as good as the original. And also which is your favorite. I've just begun fire and ice (the first expansion) myself. Thanks.

Ledsen

So I tried The Quest after Mejilan's praise. It looks great and seems to be pretty awesome... except I hate that it keeps the stupid clunky 90's control method:( If it had freelook I'd have bought it in a heartbeat... now I think I'll wait for a sale (if it ever gets one).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
cjelly said:
It hasn't bee updated to work with iOS 4 and has been broken ever since.
?

Maestro works for me on iPad 4.2.

There was an issue before on 4.x where it would not load no matter what but the workaround for that was to have headphones plugged in before starting it. I guess 4.2 fixed that?

That being said, it looks pretty ugly on iPad is only a portion of the full Euro DS game. I think it's the same as the DSiWare version which means it has a track not on the retail one.

soldat7

Reese-015 said:
Flying Hamster is great!

No Retina on the iPod Touch 4G though. I'm tired of devs falling into whatever bug is out there that gets apps running at Retina on the iPhone 4 but not on the iPod 4Gs. Really frustrating.

I'm still waiting on Splinter Cell to be updated: the Lite version runs in Retina but the Full version does not. Ugh.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ledsen said:
So I tried The Quest after Mejilan's praise. It looks great and seems to be pretty awesome... except I hate that it keeps the stupid clunky 90's control method:( If it had freelook I'd have bought it in a heartbeat... now I think I'll wait for a sale (if it ever gets one).

Alas, the game is completely two-dimensional. It's all sprite-based, so there's really no way to implement free look. It's also why the game was never updated to support retina. They've had to redo practically every single art asset in the game, and Redshift (the developers) have long switched over to a maintenance mode as they develop their next RPG. They basically only have one guy left working on the Quest, as its his job to iron out bugs, implement the occasional balance improvement, and make sure that the third party developed expansions all work properly.

Bungalow Bob said:
It's all good. Could you tell us if the expansions are as good as the original. And also which is your favorite. I've just begun fire and ice (the first expansion) myself. Thanks.

I've started over around 8 times since getting the game, each time unhappy with the way I was developing my character. Now I'm finally thrilled with my adventurer and am probably passed the halfway point of the main quest. So aside from dabbling a bit with a few of the first expansions with temporary stand-alone characters, I can't say I know too much about 'em! Fire & Ice is the "official" expansion developed by Redshift, IIRC, so that's probably a great way to go after finishing the main quest.

Ledsen

Mejilan said:
Alas, the game is completely two-dimensional. It's all sprite-based, so there's really no way to implement free look. It's also why the game was never updated to support retina. They've had to redo practically every single art asset in the game, and Redshift (the developers) have long switched over to a maintenance mode as they develop their next RPG. They basically only have one guy left working on the Quest, as its his job to iron out bugs, implement the occasional balance improvement, and make sure that the third party developed expansions all work properly.

2D, seriously? Wow, they sure could've fooled me with that environmental scaling.

Mejilan

Xater said:
Holy shit! I did not know the Quest before. That game looks fantastic! Totally gonna get that now.

I blame the name.
On the one hand, it's a perfectly accurate name.
On the other, it's also fairly generic and quickly lost in the App Store.

It just isn't ridiculous and/or high-fantasy enough.

Guys, something slightly off topic to ask, and something that was already asked a few pages back, but i really can't find the right page - could someone suggest me a good hard case for my ipod 4g please?

graywolf323

come to think of it no one ever did tell me if there's a music quiz game for iOS similar to the one Apple used to include on iPods :-(

Timekiller said:
Guys, something slightly off topic to ask, and something that was already asked a few pages back, but i really can't find the right page - could someone suggest me a good hard case for my ipod 4g please?

I use this case and love it

might not be exactly what you are looking for since only the back is a hard plastic

Bento

Mejilan said:
I've started over around 8 times since getting the game, each time unhappy with the way I was developing my character. Now I'm finally thrilled with my adventurer and am probably passed the halfway point of the main quest. So aside from dabbling a bit with a few of the first expansions with temporary stand-alone characters, I can't say I know too much about 'em! Fire & Ice is the "official" expansion developed by Redshift, IIRC, so that's probably a great way to go after finishing the main quest.
Any tips on character builds? Any skills that can be passed on or are crucial? Any reason to pick Light Armor/Weapon instead of Heavy? Are there enough times that persuade is used to make it worthwhile?

BuzzJive

qsh said:
Hi BuzzJive!

See you on top!

Yeah - Rlan said it already. The 3G is capable of running iOS 4.0 and higher, but it is not capable of running Game Center. It's pretty annoying that Apple took that from us, but the performance on the 3G is bad enough without it running.

So yeah - my iPhone game, which is in review now, uses Game Center too, but I specifically check for 3G and just pop up a message saying it's not compatible. I also mention it in the app description. You might want to do something similar.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
snack said:
Is Game Dev Story easy to master? I'm currently trying out the Lite version. Seems fun, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. lol

Before long you'll wonder if there's any more depth to the game. You'll understand its ins and outs pretty quickly.

japtor

BrainZEROX said:
Is there an iPad application that makes a good job at learning how to play chess? Or a good chess app?
Tried Chess With Friends? I think it's multiplayer only...but I figure one of the best ways to get better at chess is just to play it. As long as you know the movements of the pieces and a few other rules, you can play. If you don't know that stuff, read this page, then play. Ultimately it comes down to just looking at the board and figuring out what you and your opponent can do (and trying to think of as many moves and iterations ahead as possible and planning accordingly).

I know there's formations and other strategies out there but eh, I like planning out random crap in my head as I play.

Mejilan

Bento said:
Any tips on character builds? Any skills that can be passed on or are crucial? Any reason to pick Light Armor/Weapon instead of Heavy? Are there enough times that persuade is used to make it worthwhile?

I meant to whip up this awesome post yesterday while at work, but I was swamped all day and barely got a chance to breathe, and this weekend will be spent on long-neglected chores and errands.

But in a general sense:
- You should spent the majority of your stat points on stats that drive the skills that you'd like to master, as the higher any given skill's corresponding stat attribute is, the higher you can train in that skill. Dexterity and Intelligence are some of the most important stats to power up. Additionally, Intelligence is the corresponding stat to the most skills in the game.

- Avoid putting points into Strength. It's a mostly useless statistic that drives very few skills. You can literally put 0 points into it and have a supremely powerful character by end game, thanks to the enchant system. Dropping points into Dexterity and Constitution will nicely juice up your carrying capacity and ultimately drives much more important skills than Strength alone will.

- Light weapons > heavy weapons. Some of the best equipment in the main quest and at least the first half of the expansions are light weapons. They tried to balance things in later expansions by offering better heavy weapons, but light weapons can also be dual-wielded, so at the end of the day, they still crush heavies. Light weapons is also driven by Dexterity (which also drives or partially drives a solid number of other skills including dual wield, block, and helps raise your carrying capacity.

- Heavy armor > light armor. Don't bother wasting any skill points in light armor, as the minor benefit they'll contribute to things like cloaks and boots don't outweigh the overall AC improvements you'd gain by building up heavy armors instead.

- Environmental magic and alchemy are critical skills. Environmental magic drives your enchant ability as well as the number of mark/recall locations you can record. Enchanting is the fastest way to improve your character, allowing you in part to offset the weaknesses inherent in ignoring certain stats and skills in order to focus on others.

- Strong alchemy will also help to turn the THOUSANDS of herbs and materials you'll collect throughout your questing into a huge number of different brews, recreational drinks, and potions. Health and mana restoration potions are fairly important depending on your character class and relative power level. There are a number of not-too-difficult to make potions that can be sold for hundreds and thousands of gold pieces a pop, granting you license to speed-improve your equipment, and more important, max out your training opportunities at every new town and turn. It'll also improve the odds of successfully mixing the concoctions and decrease the durability hits of your mortar and pestle. Eventually, you'll become so good that you'll never break your mortar and pestle. Finally, you'll be able to brew up perma-stat boosting potions. You're limited to consuming only one per character level, so the faster you boost your potion-making skills, the sooner you'll be able to start.

- Persuade is important if you plan on pursuing as many quests as possible to successful completion. Some NPCs won't give you quests if your persuade isn't high enough, and other quests just can't be completed successfully for the same reason. Not critical, but probably a good idea to put a few points into every once in a while. If you do decide to invest, try to get to 30 as soon as possible, as that'll allow you to basically tackle the first few towns-worth of quests without too much trouble. Probably a better idea to start enchanting moderately enchant-able cloaks and gear to artificially boost this, instead of putting actual points into it.

- Repair is handy for similar reasons as alchemy. The higher your skill, the faster you can repair and the less damage you do to your repair hammers. Not even remotely critical since a strong alchemy skill will net you more than enough cash to pay for full auto-repairs at the local armor shops, and the mark and recall spells will easily allow you to warp out of tough situations to visit said blacksmiths, and then warp right back in. Not a bad candidate for boosting through enchanting of cloaks and other decent enchantment-absorbing gear.

- Mercantile will net you better buy/sell prices and can make a very huge impact later on in the game once it comes time to sell amazingly expensive potions and excess gear. Mega-mercantile-enchanted equipment sets in the late game will allow you to become a multi-millionaire without too much difficulty. But probably not a skill I'd pump points into.

I could write so much more, but I think I'll stop here for now and will follow-up with more gameplay tips if there's a demand for it.

BrainZEROX said:
Is there an iPad application that makes a good job at learning how to play chess? Or a good chess app?
I bought Shredder and like the puzzles it throws at you. But I wouldn't say it does a good job teaching you how to play--but the puzzles are fun and very difficult if you're a complete chess newbie like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom