• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances of Kairosofts other iPhone games coming out in on other stores? I love Game Dev Story and want more of their stuff.

I'm just going to clarify a few of your tips, and add a little.

The game is not very challenging (other than some of the puzzles) if you understand the combat system. So if you want to make a heavy weapon-using warrior (and heavy weapons do have some advantages), go right ahead, you'll have no difficulties. However, some of the expansions are very challenging in terms of combat.
Mejilan said:
But in a general sense:
- You should spent the majority of your stat points on stats that drive the skills that you'd like to master, as the higher any given skill's corresponding stat attribute is, the higher you can train in that skill. Dexterity and Intelligence are some of the most important stats to power up. Additionally, Intelligence is the corresponding stat to the most skills in the game.
Since the NPCs that can train you to improve your skills can only do so up to a certain level (like level 30 light weapons, let's say), it's better to first learn from these NPCs and then use your skill points.

Mejilan said:
Avoid putting points into Strength. It's a mostly useless statistic that drives very few skills. You can literally put 0 points into it and have a supremely powerful character by end game, thanks to the enchant system. Dropping points into Dexterity and Constitution will nicely juice up your carrying capacity and ultimately drives much more important skills than Strength alone will.
You only need strength if you choose to go for heavy weapons. Dexterity is the governing attribute for light weapons (as well as other skills). Both raise carrying capacity, but strength raises it much more.

Mejilan said:
Environmental magic and alchemy are critical skills. Environmental magic drives your enchant ability as well as the number of mark/recall locations you can record. Enchanting is the fastest way to improve your character, allowing you in part to offset the weaknesses inherent in ignoring certain stats and skills in order to focus on others.
In a nutshell you can enchant magical equipment to boost any of your stats, but only up to a certain amount determined by the piece of equipment. Let me give one example of how this all works. So after you get some new armor that is extremely enchantable, your magic abilities alone are only enough to partially enchant it. The only way to fully enchant it is to put on some equipment that you previously enchanted to boost your enchant ability. Then you drink some potions (that you made wearing different equipment enchanted to boost your potion making abilities) to further enhance your magic, and finally you can fully enchant the armor to increase your magic resistance, HP, or whatever you want. Note that you can only enchant equipment once.

Mejilan said:
Strong alchemy will also help to turn the THOUSANDS of herbs and materials you'll collect throughout your questing into a huge number of different brews, recreational drinks, and potions. Health and mana restoration potions are fairly important depending on your character class and relative power level. There are a number of not-too-difficult to make potions that can be sold for hundreds and thousands of gold pieces a pop, granting you license to speed-improve your equipment, and more important, max out your training opportunities at every new town and turn. It'll also improve the odds of successfully mixing the concoctions and decrease the durability hits of your mortar and pestle. Eventually, you'll become so good that you'll never break your mortar and pestle. Finally, you'll be able to brew up perma-stat boosting potions. You're limited to consuming only one per character level, so the faster you boost your potion-making skills, the sooner you'll be able to start.
You can start making the perma-stat boosting potions (and other high level potions) at a low level by enchanting some equipment to boost your potion-making ability.

Mejilan said:
Repair is handy for similar reasons as alchemy. The higher your skill, the faster you can repair and the less damage you do to your repair hammers. Not even remotely critical since a strong alchemy skill will net you more than enough cash to pay for full auto-repairs at the local armor shops, and the mark and recall spells will easily allow you to warp out of tough situations to visit said blacksmiths, and then warp right back in. Not a bad candidate for boosting through enchanting of cloaks and other decent enchantment-absorbing gear.
Alchemy is far more important than repair because with a high alchemy level you can make potions to increase your melee and magic that are better than any you can buy or find in the game, but the blacksmiths that are in all the towns can repair your weapon just as well as you can.

Some Important Tips
If you're getting killed in the beginning, buy a spell (or better yet, a magical wand) that temporarily boosts your defense.

The wares in a shop randomly change from day to day. You can buy the 2 spells that allow you to teleport (Mark and Recall) in the first town if you go in on the right day.

You can play the card game in the inns to make money, but it's very slow. Making and selling potions is the quickest way to make money in the mid-game.

Attack magic is best for quickly killing enemies.

Magic resistance is very important. It can mean the difference between a one-shot death and magical invulnerability. You can drink potions to temporarily increase your magic res.

I'm sure there are some important things Mejilan and I missed, but this is definitely enough to get the new players started.

edit: You can also gain the bonuses of different potions of the same type at the same time.
For example, you could drink a small fortify magic potion, a large one and a homemade one, one after the other, and gain the bonus of all 3.

snack

I'm looking for some games like Pizza Boy but better. Anyone got suggestions?

Would Leauge of Evil be the top choice?

Lijik

snack said:
I'm looking for some games like Pizza Boy but better. Anyone got suggestions?

Would Leauge of Evil be the top choice?
I would definitely go with League of Evil.
Its very smartly designed so the controls are never a hindrance. Levels are short, and rely on exploiting a small set of obstacles for all their worth. It can get difficult but never impossibly or frustratingly so.

I just can't think of another ios platformer that plays to the strengths of the device while also avoiding its pitfalls so well. For what its worth, I constantly felt during Pizza Boy that I'd rather play it on a more dedicated platform while I never felt that way with LoE.

X-Frame

OMG the Dungeon Defenders update completely wiped my characters. Wow.

Why is the update still even available after the devs know that it wipes all your characters? Everything is gone now, as I updated via iTunes so I could not see the warning message.

I wonder how much updates it will take for the game to work? And the console versions are supposed to be coming out? Man, I feel bad for whoever buys those.

Zeth

League of Evil is absolutely excellent. Amazing platforming with great controls. I'll definitely be collecting 3 stars + briefcase on each level. Hope people will support this $1 app so we can get more levels and game center support.

Also the game is just about unplayable on the ipad with the control layout.

spidye

guys, are there good tycoon like games on iphone? I liked game dev story and enjoyed sim city but don't know if there are other good games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
X-Frame said:
OMG the Dungeon Defenders update completely wiped my characters. Wow.

Why is the update still even available after the devs know that it wipes all your characters? Everything is gone now, as I updated via iTunes so I could not see the warning message.

I wonder how much updates it will take for the game to work? And the console versions are supposed to be coming out? Man, I feel bad for whoever buys those.

It appears that they know of the character wipe and are calling it a feature, not a bug! :eek:

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Zeth said:
League of Evil is absolutely excellent. Amazing platforming with great controls. I'll definitely be collecting 3 stars + briefcase on each level. Hope people will support this $1 app so we can get more levels and game center support.

Also the game is just about unplayable on the ipad with the control layout.
Exactly.
That's why I wrote my suggestion for some different layouts and also I wish left and right had the same responsiveness as jump/kick.
For example, if you're tapping left and you tap right with your finger still touching on left as well, the latter input should just overwrite the former.
I wish there was an email/contact form to send this to the dev and not just to the publisher who'd never read it otherwise I guess.

Foob

Well you have to get 60 in Sudden Death, an then I have no clue at all as to what you do in Precision mode. I just played it until I finished with like a 90% average and I looked later and I had it

graywolf323

Foob said:
Well you have to get 60 in Sudden Death, an then I have no clue at all as to what you do in Precision mode. I just played it until I finished with like a 90% average and I looked later and I had it

crap I really need to work on it then, I'm not that good yet

parasight

Battleheart is a great game. If only it would stop fucking crashing. It's the most frustrating thing, as I can't get past the stupid slime boss due to all these crashes.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
parasight said:
Battleheart is a great game. If only it would stop fucking crashing. It's the most frustrating thing, as I can't get past the stupid slime boss due to all these crashes.

They've identified the problem and should have a fix out soon. It has something to do with the game triggering or reading a line swipe when it shouldn't be. My advice is to slow down your pace a bit and don't go too crazy with using skills in rapid succession.

Reese-015 said:
Demon Hunter is free, I hear it's a pretty good and deep side-scrolling action rpg.

If it's the game I'm thinking of, I'm rather pissed because they apparently pulled the paid version I bought months ago and now only offer this new ad-supported "full" version.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
RelentlessRolento said:
Movie Cat is free today
Thanks, I Love it!

Also, just my two cents about Sad Princess
Let's put it this way: You probably shouldn't buy Sad Princess other than for the fact that you want to support the idea of Valillaware-inspired graphics and gameplay.
The art is very pretty but the game bored me to death already at stage 2-3. I tought I was going to fight on proper horizontal scrolling levels, instead it's basically little more than a screen with a background where you fight countless identical enemies with zero variety and zero depth to the combat.
And I loved Muramasa almost as much as I love classic beat 'em ups.
They should "just" flesh out the game and sell it for, say, €3,79 with Universal support.

Fifty

Are there any general-interest trivia games that are almost as good as Movie Cat?

Trivial Pursuit's questions are way too dumbed down for my liking.

dream

Gazunta said:
I want to play Bard's Tale - or something very much like Bard's Tale - on my iPad or 3GS. What are my options?

I think The Quest might be it. I've actually never played it before but I looked at it after seeing Meijan's...unusual appreciation of the series...and it looked amazingly Bard's Taleesque to me.

graywolf323

Mejilan said:
If it's the game I'm thinking of, I'm rather pissed because they apparently pulled the paid version I bought months ago and now only offer this new ad-supported "full" version.

just looked it up on the app store and based on the reviews that is indeed the one

JEKKI

I beat League of Evil... all stars and briefcases and I dont think that unlocked anything.

as bad as that game controlled, it was still too easy

Reese-015

Tried out Wild Frontier. Another damn 2D RPG with a bad framerate. Totally ruins it for me, this stuff should be able to run at 60fps easily and yet it's this jerky 15fps or something.

japtor

JEKKI said:
I beat League of Evil... all stars and briefcases and I dont think that unlocked anything.

as bad as that game controlled, it was still too easy
It needs leaderboards with times at least.

Minsc

Gold Member
Good news for Puzzle Quest 2 fans!

Update will be coming adding retina display and more interestingly, online multiplayer support via Gamecenter. Should be interesting to see how it works out, I'd imagine you'd want to only play your lvl 99 characters against others though, to keep the balance as even as you can!

Maybe they'll even sneak a few speed optimizations in there as well!

Psy-Phi

Reese-015 said:
Tried out Wild Frontier. Another damn 2D RPG with a bad framerate. Totally ruins it for me, this stuff should be able to run at 60fps easily and yet it's this jerky 15fps or something.
The frame rate is fine, it's the animation that needs...well...more animations. Seems like they skip on it and just do enough to make them look like they move, but not like they move smoothly.

Perhaps they're shooting for parity with the 3G still? Can't imagine the extra 10 animations would kill a 3G though. Think it's just cost/time savings or laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom