• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed in the UK store that the top gear academy game is in the top 25 now, I think the game is great and was playing it last night, it's like a racing puzzler where you use custom things on your car to clear a challenge better or worse, has the entire top gear test track and ghost racing option via cpu stig, has an open airfield mode where you can drive around and collect gold cog coins, it has it all.

I really do recommended it, great time waster and fun game. I feel special since I bought it before it was in the top 200 list :p

Minsc said:
Good news for Puzzle Quest 2 fans!

Update will be coming adding retina display and more interestingly, online multiplayer support via Gamecenter. Should be interesting to see how it works out, I'd imagine you'd want to only play your lvl 99 characters against others though, to keep the balance as even as you can!

Maybe they'll even sneak a few speed optimizations in there as well!

Sweet!! I really wanted it, and now I may actually consider buying! Hope they deal with those reportedly terrible load times, though, too. Thanks for the info.

Reese-015 said:
Tried out Wild Frontier. Another damn 2D RPG with a bad framerate. Totally ruins it for me, this stuff should be able to run at 60fps easily and yet it's this jerky 15fps or something.

A few extra frames of animation would be nice, but the thing is crisp and has a nice array of crafting. Does its job. Room for improvement, though.

Someone on here recommended 100 Rogues, which has been great.

Are there any similar games that let you retain some level of progress after your character dies?

I realize you can store items in this one, but if I recall correctly some titles (Etrian Odyssey for one) lets you actually retain your level when you restart.

I've never played a Rogue style game before so this may be antithetical to the genre...

Ledsen

Pylon_Trooper said:
A few extra frames of animation would be nice, but the thing is crisp and has a nice array of crafting. Does its job. Room for improvement, though.

He's not talking about the animation but the janky, low fps scrolling. I was very disappointed too since someone in this thread called it "smooth". It's very far from smooth unfortunately, 30 fps tops :/ There is NO excuse whatsoever for a SNES-style 2D rpg not to be 60 fps. It's disgraceful. It's the same thing with most other similar RPGs on the platform I've tried (Queen's Crown, Inotia 2, Across Age etc). I can't believe we're somehow forced to accept games that run worse than old SNES games...

LCfiner

BaZZaa said:
Can anyone tell me how real racing 2 looks on the Ipad?
Can't decide between real racing hd and real racing 2 :(

Real racing HD will look sharper but it doesn't run as smooth as either of the iphone games in the series.

Reese-015

Ledsen said:
He's not talking about the animation but the janky, low fps scrolling. I was very disappointed too since someone in this thread called it "smooth". It's very far from smooth unfortunately, 30 fps tops :/ There is NO excuse whatsoever for a SNES-style 2D rpg not to be 60 fps. It's disgraceful. It's the same thing with most other similar RPGs on the platform I've tried (Queen's Crown, Inotia 2, Across Age etc). I can't believe we're somehow forced to accept games that run worse than old SNES games...

Yup. Download Soosiz Lite. That's a smooth framerate. I'm not even referring to the sprite animations, just the overall fps that the engine is rendering at is ridiculously low on Wild Frontier. There's no proper reason why tiny sprites should not be able to slide over simple backgrounds at a smooth framerate. It's slightly better than many similar popular RPG's on the app store but damn... Still ridiculously bad.

NBA Jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEbls7BSEkw

181979_10150097594167346_46940027345_6215831_1803634_n.jpg

180549_10150097594132346_46940027345_6215830_2792009_n.jpg

167756_10150097594222346_46940027345_6215833_8236769_n.jpg

Psy-Phi

Murmur said:
Looks like a new update is out for Angry Birds Seasons... Valentine's Day addition.

.. downloading now.

Didn't own it before this (third update shows I will be getting more support so I finally bought it), and it's crashing every time I finish a level in the Halloween one (haven't tried other stages yet).

Just want to find out if something's weird with my phone (it is jailbroken) or if the new Valentine's update causes a problem on 4.2.1

quetz67

Banned
Our first app (universal) is online - no game, but at least it has a little treasure hunt included (and music is by the guy who did the music for Pitfall:Mayan Adventures):

TimeTours: Chichen Itza

Should anybody be interested in the Mayas/Chichen Itza I have some Promo codes to give away for an honest review.

DodgerSan

quetz67 said:
Our first app (unoversal) is online - no game, but at least it has a little treasure hunt included:

TimeTours: Chichen Itza

Should anybody be interested in the Mayas/Chichen Itza I have some Promo codes to give away for an honest review.
I'd definitely be interested. Are you able to offer a promo for the UK store?

dream

Psy-Phi said:
Didn't own it before this (third update shows I will be getting more support so I finally bought it), and it's crashing every time I finish a level in the Halloween one (haven't tried other stages yet).

Just want to find out if something's weird with my phone (it is jailbroken) or if the new Valentine's update causes a problem on 4.2.1

Works fine for me on a jailbroken 4.2.1 iPhone 4.

DodgerSan said:
I'd definitely be interested. Are you able to offer a promo for the UK store?

Not to bump into a conversation, but promo codes are now global, so US will work on UK, vice versa, and any other combo of stores too.

Psy-Phi

dream said:
Works fine for me on a jailbroken 4.2.1 iPhone 4.
Would you mind trying Halloween levels 1-4? I just did a Valentines Day 1 (stage 1) and it showed the score screen and moved on without a problem.

halloween 1-3 all quite out to my home screen when the score screen should have shown up, but I go back in and the score does register. Just a hassle...

dream

Psy-Phi said:
Would you mind trying Halloween levels 1-4? I just did a Valentines Day 1 (stage 1) and it showed the score screen and moved on without a problem.

halloween 1-3 all quite out to my home screen when the score screen should have shown up, but I go back in and the score does register. Just a hassle...

k, I just played levels 1-5 sequentially without any problems. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but I've already beat the levels before. I did set a new high score on one of them though.

Have you tried rebooting your phone? That tends to fix a lot of weirdness that happens after a game is freshly installed.

Psy-Phi

Yeah I did. I respringed first then reboot. Maybe I'll try the normal turn off IPhone now.

edit: no workie still, removing and reinstalling.

Same thing on my iPhone 4 from work (I have a 3GS that I play most of my games on). Must be something about the update and not having finished the levels before. That or I'm just hella unlucky (my work iPhone is not JB).

RPS37

To answer my own question, I see you did mention that RR2 is on sale a a couple pages ago. Also the sale lasts till the 14th, apparently.

Regardless, I'm really impressed. It's all so polished. The graphics, despite being framey and aliased, are insane for a game that I'm playing on my phone.
The menus are super slick and I was pretty surprised that the game is using real cars that you can purchase upgrades for.

I know I'm super LTTP, but this was the sale I was waiting for. The game is such a steal at 5 bucks.

dream

Psy-Phi said:
Yeah I did. I respringed first then reboot. Maybe I'll try the normal turn off IPhone now.

edit: no workie still, removing and reinstalling.

Same thing on my iPhone 4 from work (I have a 3GS that I play most of my games on). Must be something about the update and not having finished the levels before. That or I'm just hella unlucky (my work iPhone is not JB).

Okay, I'm curious about this now so I'm gonna grab my girlfriend's iPhone 4 and install a fresh copy to see what happens.

k, I ran through 1-1 to 1-5. No crashes.

Psy-Phi

dream said:
Okay, I'm curious about this now so I'm gonna grab my girlfriend's iPhone 4 and install a fresh copy to see what happens.

k, I ran through 1-1 to 1-5. No crashes.

Very weird.

The only thing I can think of would be having international keyboards installed. But it doesn't make sense that it would only happen in the Halloween levels.

Thanks for checking. I'm getting ready to re-install iOS 4.2.1 on my work iPhone4 and then try again.

EDIT: Christmas levels too actually. Very weird that the Valentine ones are not affected by whatever's making this happen on my phones.

EDIT2: Even after a fresh install of 4.2.1 and not restored it still does it on the iPhone4. I have no idea why it would do this now. Rovio just hates me?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Finished Battleheart. It's a great game, but it felt short. Was expecting a new game plus or additional levels/characters when I beat it, but... nothing. You can replay old maps with the other characters to level them up, but it seems light on content at the moment. I hope they patch in additional levels and unlocks, because the game has potential to be fantastic if they keep supporting it. Total time played was around 8-9 hours when I beat it, but I took my time leveling other characters unnecessarily.

Murmur

Yay, the Battleheart crash-fix update is out. It only happened to me once but I know a lot of people here have been plagued by the issues.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Minsc said:
Good news for Puzzle Quest 2 fans!

Update will be coming adding retina display and more interestingly, online multiplayer support via Gamecenter. Should be interesting to see how it works out, I'd imagine you'd want to only play your lvl 99 characters against others though, to keep the balance as even as you can!

Maybe they'll even sneak a few speed optimizations in there as well!

Do you have a source for this? I'll likely pick up the ipad version if it gets multiplayer. The XBLA version didn't get much love it seems.

Minsc

Gold Member
Eggo said:
Do you have a source for this? I'll likely pick up the ipad version if it gets multiplayer. The XBLA version didn't get much love it seems.

Here you go.

All the variables in skills/choices in matching should really keep online puzzle quest pretty interesting. In a way it's almost like magic the gathering, with all the strategic choices to make. Go for damage or collect mana for spells or block mana your opponent needs, what equipment to use, what spells to equip, what spells to cast, etc etc. Potentially quite fun.

graywolf323

so what does everyone think of this new freemium model Gameloft started with Sacred Odyssey?

where you download the entire game free but you can only play the first part before you have to pay for the full game via in app purchase

Minsc

Gold Member
graywolf323 said:
so what does everyone think of this new freemium model Gameloft started with Sacred Odyssey?

where you download the entire game free but you can only play the first part before you have to pay for the full game via in app purchase

It seems extremely counter-productive if what they say about most people never starting apps they download/buy (or playing only once) is true... people won't even bother to buy the game anymore if they don't remember to play it.

graywolf323 said:

Well do in-app purchases ever drop in price? I don't buy their games at current prices but if they were to go on sale i'd consider it. Works for me if they drop in-app purchase prices but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

graywolf323

steverulez said:
Well do in-app purchases ever drop in price? I don't buy their games at current prices but if they were to go on sale i'd consider it. Works for me if they drop in-app purchase prices but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

not sure on that but my complaint there would be there's no way to be notified if it does go on sale since appshopper and other things like that that track apps to my knowledge don't track in app purchases prices

Real Racing 2 content update, 6 new race leagues to play, i'm not that excited as RR2 is not as good as the first game in my eyes, they tried to make the cars feel more realistic but also sucked half the games fun out with it.

Anyone still playing wild frontier? I love it more and more as I play, making new gear via crafting is much more fun then farming mobs for that rare drop.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HEEEELP!!
It seems Bubble Bobble Double fucked up my iPad somehow.
I bought it on the iPad which of course wouldn't download it becuase ofmthe 20meg limit over 3G.
Hooked up the pad to my macbookpro iTunes, which is synced with the pad, transfered my purchase and it went on to download the thing. Then I don't knwon know what happened, since the two purchases I made after BBDouble wouldn't transfer properly, same with BBD, they were dowloading under iTunes on the mac but still stuck on downloading/loading status on the iPad even after a new sync... With that "20 meg app too big" warnings popping out every goddamn second, making me go crazy. So I have those 3 purchases showing on iTunes download but still stuck on the pad. Once BBD finished downloading, it wouldn't trasfer anyway in sync, Crazy. Even the hard reset on the iPad didn't fix things, so I had to delete everything from my iPad with an unsync, and then with the iPad wiped out I made a new synch were finally the app showed, but installed as Bub&Bob (the names ofmthe lil' fellas) which I don't know even if it's normal.

Problems:
besides the fact that my Smurfs Village lev19 has disappeared (WTF!) and it's back to lev1 now (I thought that being tied to GameCenter and such it supported cloud saving, since there's no save export function formthe app in filesharing... Bummer, I'll never play it again now, sigh), the main problem is that even tho I have Bubble Bobble on my apps (both on the iPad AND synched to the mac's iTunes), it keeps showing up on my downloads list!
As soon as I click on my "check downloads" to get other apps that I haven't dl yet, that fucker shows up and start downloading again (without deleteting the other one!).

Can you guys PLEASE help me figuring out what's screwing things up?

Neki

So is Battleheart challenging or fun? Was thinking about picking it up. What are the impressions on RR and RR2, which one is better? :O

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
graywolf323 said:

It's not really freemium.
It's basically a demo + full version arriving in a single package.
Try before you buy, but you don't have to wait a month after the full game's release to get the demo, as is the case with so many Gameloft releases.
And it minimizes app store clutter.
And guarantees that the demo save will work in the full version.
I think it's an excellent way to go about it.
So many benefits, no real cons.

Freemium as a label is much more applicable to games like Gun Bros., Hero Project, Smurfville, and all of those MMO-type games. IMHO, any way.

japtor

graywolf323 said:

The crazy new model where they share their software to entice you to buy/unlock the rest of the game?

I think it's been done before.

Bento

Bungalow Bob said:
Mejilan said:
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions and providing lots of useful information :eek:)

One last question, I'm considering making an Undead character (such an obvious yet underused race) but by doing so I'm unable to use Healing Magic, how important is Healing Magic and can I off-set the lack of it with Undead Magic + Potions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom