• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

chickdigger802 said:
helium boy is also free right now.

I'm sure the dev is a gafer, so let's give him some feedback ;)

I'm enjoying it so far, not a big fan of auto scrolling world though. Not sure if I can pop other balloons like in balloon fight.

Biggest problem with virtual controls is not the inaccuracy, it's when the developer decides to allow the player character to end up wandering under the virtual stick area which is covered by your thumb. I've encountered this 'annoyance' fairly often in the first stage.

Still, a really charming game with a fun little premise. Ninja's with balloons are adorable ;)

Ah yes, forgot to tell gaf about it. It's free the whole weekend.

You can select beginner mode to get rid of the auto scrolling, but the game is kind of built around it and playing without it makes the game much much easier and ruins the pacing IMO. Some people prefer to play it that way though. It also helps a bit with the thumb-covering-the-character issue as the camera follows the player more. There is also an option to reduce the viewport to combat this problem but it's hardly an ideal solution I know. It woks a lot better on an Android phone with a slideout keyboard, or ideally Xperia PLAY.

And yes you can pop the ninjas' balloons.

Also, it would be very helpful if some people with iPads could try it. I've had reports today that it doesn't work on iPad, but I didn't experience any severe issues when I last tried (I don't actually own one, only tried it on a friends iPad) and I'm sure there's been some people who bought it on iPad previously without any complaints. So I don't know if it's a firmware issue or a random bug or how common it is. Please pm me if works or not, and your firmware and model

What's Dungeon Raid like? Is it more like a puzzle game where you see how far you can go with one life? Are there different levels and bosses you beat, or is it more like a survival game?

It doesn't look like Puzzle Quest where you travel through a world doing quests and finding loot.

I hear everyone loving this game and IGN even put it on their top ios games of all-time. I want to give it a chance.

heringer

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What's Dungeon Raid like? Is it more like a puzzle game where you see how far you can go with one life? Are there different levels and bosses you beat, or is it more like a survival game?

It doesn't look like Puzzle Quest where you travel through a world doing quests and finding loot.

I hear everyone loving this game and IGN even put it on their top ios games of all-time. I want to give it a chance.
Pretty much the bolded.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Jedeye Sniv said:
Hahaha that is an awesome answer :) its not a bad game by any means, but I do think the sequel will be better. I trust you're going to check out the gripping novel??
I'm actually reading the IB novella at the moment as I got it for free. It's alright. Adds some very fluff mythology surrounding the whole multiple bloodline thing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Traced-Velocity said:
Lttp here, but anyone who likes Super Meat Boy and hasn't picked it up already, grab League of Evil. So surprised how well it controls.
I like the game but controls on iPad are really cumbersome. Mostly because they don't ovveride directional arrow presses. It would be a simole fix to always register the last press even if you're still touching a different arrow, but they still haven't fixed it and I think they never will. As a result you have to control directions sliding one finger which doesn,t work well on iPad. At leadt they should give the option to place the UI wherever you want, like Gameloft's games do.

Always meant to ask to Dev Age, what's stopping iOS devs to always give complete customization of
UI controls? It boggles my mind how so many devs skip that, at least Gameloft always nails that part.

Erudite

Dash Kappei said:
I like the game but controls on iPad are really cumbersome. Mostly because they don't ovveride directional arrow presses. It would be a simole fix to always register the last press even if you're still touching a different arrow, but they still haven't fixed it and I think they never will. As a result you have to control directions sliding one finger which doesn,t work well on iPad. At leadt they should give the option to place the UI wherever you want, like Gameloft's games do.

Always meant to ask to Dev Age, what's stopping iOS devs to always give complete customization of
UI controls? It boggles my mind how so many devs skip that, at least Gameloft always nails that part.
I should've added that it controls well on my iPhone, I could definitely see it being much weaker on the iPad.

Mrbob

Kairosoft owns my life again with Edo Town.

chickdigger802 said:
Seems a bit too much like hot spring story, which was fun for it's time, but I think I'll snag this when it's 99c.

Just the viewpoint which looks similar. Game is a bit different from Hot Springs.

Traced-Velocity said:
Lttp here, but anyone who likes Super Meat Boy and hasn't picked it up already, grab League of Evil. So surprised how well it controls.

Yeah, they are shockingly well done. Nice clone.

Mrbob said:
Kairosoft owns my life again with Edo Town.

Just the viewpoint which looks similar. Game is a bit different from Hot Springs.

Yeah, they are shockingly well done. Nice clone.
Could you elaborate? It doesn't take much to sell me on a kairosoft game ;)

And I'm pretty sure league of evil was around as a flash game before meatboy.

Mrbob

Edo Towns has a more expansive feel being a town building simulator. You have three town tile sets to choose from, and I'm only in the first one so far. As your town grows, you get new people to inhabit it and help out. Besides managing buildings and money, you also manage the people who come to town. Your townspeople have different jobs. Some are merchants. Some or farmers. Couple other jobs too. You need money from buildings to build more and for research, but the overlying goal is in getting yields each year. You get these from farming, and also from merchant shops you set up. There is a balancing act between having people who make you money, and those farm for yields. I'm actually having a problem with money in year 6. Think I have too many farmers.

There are kairosoft mainstays, like linking certain buildings together to form combos and using items to increase building ability. Jobs level up through use, and you can switch them too. It has elements from a lot of other Kairosoft games in it, so it is always going to have a similar feel.

Fusebox

Banned
Shaneus said:
It's not free where I am... you looking at the AU App Store, Fusion? $2 here.

Hey yeah, it's showing as $2 on mine too, dunno what I was looking at earlier, that's what I get for posting before 8am...

edit: Turns out it was free after all, I was just logged in with my Aus account instead of my US one.

colinp

Banned
Karish said:
Been addicted to Asphalt 6 since the 4S graphic update. It's amazing.

Is Asphalt a Ridge Racer clone? It controls well with the 4S? I haven't tried any racing games yet but I like RR and would be interested in something similar to that.

9vfqrq.png

:)

One of the games that came out the other day is a game called Sad Robot and it's pretty fun. It's an endless runner but instead of the normal horizontal style, it's vertical. It also has a pixel style to it and this chiptune/acoustic song that plays including vocals which has been stuck in my head. Best of all it's free.

And while I'm on the topic of endless runners, there's one I'd like to know the name of. It plays like Temple Run but its graphical style is like Tron. Does anyone know the name of it?

kungfu warrior is free right now.

Pretty much zombieville 1 except you play as a bruce lee knockoff. Not much depth (like all beat em ups, jump attack is king), but good animations and pretty fun.

Hige

LastWindow said:
And while I'm on the topic of endless runners, there's one I'd like to know the name of. It plays like Temple Run but its graphical style is like Tron. Does anyone know the name of it?
Sounds like Wall Runner?

one_kill

Game Dev Story is so addictive! I like how it's more streamlined than Pocket Academy. Hopefully Grand Prix Story will go on sale soon.

Erudite

Can someone help me remember the name of an iOS game?

It's set in space, where you open doors to get rid of the aliens on the ship and move the humans around on the ship so that they don't run into the aliens or get pulled out when you open the door to the room they're in.

I remember trying it out on my old iPod Touch, but can't for the life of me remember the name.

Traced-Velocity said:

It's set in space, where you open doors to get rid of the aliens on the ship and move the humans around on the ship so that they don't run into the aliens or get pulled out when you open the door to the room they're in.

I remember trying it out on my old iPod Touch, but can't for the life of me remember the name.

Evacuation.

Shaneus

Traced-Velocity said:

If you're using the same account on your current device as your Touch, you should be able to look at your past downloads, including trials.

Krorg

Alextended said:
I didn't say most people here on GAF. Just most people who would like it. Those who do look up indie games etc. I mean, it's on Steam too, and got lots of hype for its art before that, being from the TIGSource dude who later made Spelunky, etc. Not exactly the most obscure game, just very niche, mostly due to its slow pace than the genre.

Btw, since nobody responded to my questions earlier maybe not everyone knows, but it seems there's a sort of App Sharing allowed on these things. I authorised both my iPad2 and my sister's on iTunes on this PC and now it seems Apps transferred from either iPad2 to this PC can also be transfered back and function on both iPad2s. Yay!

Unless I'm missing something (someone tell me, it won't make the Apps I got stop working on her PC when she connects next, right?).
Are you going to sync it to a different pc to the one it is currently synced with? I think you will need to have both accounts authorised on that pc first or the apps won't transfer.

arbok26 said:
how long did it take you to finish the game?
Hard to say, I redid a lot of levels to get three stars early on and focused on achievements when I could. I've probably spent ten to twenty hours on it. Story Mode is pretty trite but Master Mode is gangster. Over at TouchArcade, the praise for Master Mode over Story Mode has the developer committing to that pacing for the sequel.

Hige

Sad Robot is awesome. Love the graphics and music. There's not much depth there since it's basically an endless runner flier, but it's much more charming than Jetpack Joyride IMO.

LastWindow said:
One of the games that came out the other day is a game called Sad Robot and it's pretty fun. It's an endless runner but instead of the normal horizontal style, it's vertical. It also has a pixel style to it and this chiptune/acoustic song that plays including vocals which has been stuck in my head. Best of all it's free.

I love the look and the music but I really don't like games based entirely on tilt controls, I just don't feel like I have enough control. Definitely has potential though.

Hige

arts&crafts said:
I love the look and the music but I really don't like games based entirely on tilt controls, I just don't feel like I have enough control. Definitely has potential though.
There's an option for touch controls. Tap the joystick icon on the main menu. I haven't tried the tilt controls yet, but I haven't had any problems with the touch controls.

Hige said:
There's an option for touch controls. Tap the joystick icon on the main menu. I haven't tried the tilt controls yet, but I haven't had any problems with the touch controls.

wow awesome checking it out, it was default set to tilt for me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So far I'm not feeling Edo Towns. It's still fun, but I'm not as sucked into is as I was with Game Dev, Mega Mall, or Grand Prix.

- It lacks the round-based structure that Dev, Prix, and Mall perfected. In Mall, every month a new batch of customers came. In Dev, you were always about to release a new game. But in Edo, the months blend right into one another. I find myself just sitting and waiting foe 2+ months to get $$.

- The subject matter is tougher to understand. In Mall, I have an understanding of, I dunno... a florist's shop. But in Edo, I have a rice shop, sushi shop, Dumbling Shop, Stew Shop... I lack the cultural knowledge for these buildings to be fun.

GDJustin said:
So far I'm not feeling Edo Towns. It's still fun, but I'm not as sucked into is as I was with Game Dev, Mega Mall, or Grand Prix.

- It lacks the round-based structure that Dev, Prix, and Mall perfected. In Mall, every month a new batch of customers came. In Dev, you were always about to release a new game. But in Edo, the months blend right into one another. I find myself just sitting and waiting foe 2+ months to get $$.

- The subject matter is tougher to understand. In Mall, I have an understanding of, I dunno... a florist's shop. But in Edo, I have a rice shop, sushi shop, Dumbling Shop, Stew Shop... I lack the cultural knowledge for these buildings to be fun.
Yeah, the Kairo city builder with modern buildings looks way better. Hopefully this comes to iOS in English before too long

Reese-015

Super Crossfire's latest update adds cool improvements plus The Dark Chapter which now doubles (I think) the amount of levels in the game, plus all the new levels are way more awesome cause they're really over-the-top. This game quickly became one of my favorites and with the latest update became even way better than it originally was. So damn cool.

If you dig arcady shmups, GET IT.

Mrbob

GDJustin said:

Yeah I would put it on the back end of my Kairosoft list right not. Not the very end though.

Mega Mall Story and Grand Prix Story are still my two favorite Kairosoft games, and then I'd put Pocket League Story (on android phone) and Game Dev Story ahead as well. Edo Towns I'd put ahead of Hot Springs and Pocket Academy (which I didn't like at all). Not the worst, still worth playing if you like Kairosoft games, but not the cream of the crop either.

Mrbob said:
Yeah I would put it on the back end of my Kairosoft list right not. Not the very end though.

Mega Mall Story and Grand Prix Story are still my two favorite Kairosoft games, and then I'd put Pocket League Story (on android phone) and Game Dev Story ahead as well. Edo Towns I'd put ahead of Hot Springs and Pocket Academy (which I didn't like at all). Not the worst, still worth playing if you like Kairosoft games, but not the cream of the crop either.

:( My list is almost the opposite. I'd rank them in order of preference: Edo Towns, Pocket Academy 2, Zaibatsu Towns V, Hot Springs, GP Story, Mega Mall, and bringing up the rear is (still a great game) Game Dev story.

RPS37

I downloaded Asphalt 6 when it was on sale for free I haven't played it since before I got a 4S.
Just downloaded the latest update and I'm kind of really impressed. It does a lot of things that Real Racing doesn't.

heringer

Holy shit, Dungeon Defenders run like crap on my iPhone 4. Can't believe they release a game with such a shitty framerate. It often goes to single digit fps.

It's a shame, because there's a really good game underneath. Hope it's at least playable on my iPad 2.

Reese-015

Also, Glowfish is so fucking gorgeous and runs even smoother than ever with the new update. It's like the Crysis of iOS 2D games. (along with Phoenix HD)

heringer said:
Holy shit, Dungeon Defenders run like crap on my iPhone 4. Can't believe they release a game with such a shitty framerate. It often goes to single digit fps.

It's a shame, because there's a really good game underneath. Hope it's at least playable on my iPad 2.

The controls are crap either way. Just get it on steam.

Fusebox

Banned
Wario64 said:
I don't know what this is and nothing comes up on search.
I found it in a search, one of those crappy turn based games like Mafia. But yeah, people need to start posting links when they post random gams like that.

Modern Combat 3 on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom