• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'm missing the point of Real Racing 2 HD, but man, I can't win a damn race!
Playing on medium with the standard assists on. My car just seems to be a slug. Highest I'v placed is 10th place.

Is it a "you don't come first straight away, grind it out" sorta game, or am I just not connecting to it at all?

Fusebox

Banned
Nihilistic Monk said:
I don't know if I'm missing the point of Real Racing 2 HD, but man, I can't win a damn race!
Playing on medium with the standard assists on. My car just seems to be a slug. Highest I'v placed is 10th place.

Is it a "you don't come first straight away, grind it out" sorta game, or am I just not connecting to it at all?
Funny you mention that, I reinstalled the other day for the first time in a while and came near the back of the pack as well, but I know I used to come first so either I had done the grinding in my old game and forgotten, or they've ramped up the difficulty recently.

Shaneus

Brazil said:
HOLY SHIT at that trailer. I freaking lost it at "Geez this fucking puta do caralho balls on my chin".
There are no words. It looks like the equivalent of Chinese knockoff electronics, but in game form. The voice acting is just bad, and that gang that has their shirt tied up at their shoulder? BAHAHAHA.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Just tried "Hardest Game Ever 0.02s" . It's a bunch of mini games to test your reaction time and whatnot. The free version is the top free game at the moment. I enjoyed it so much I upgraded to the pro version . Good stuff, highly recommended if you like such games .

Rekwest

8sanders said:
Just tried "Hardest Game Ever 0.02s" . It's a bunch of mini games to test your reaction time and whatnot. The free version is the top free game at the moment. I enjoyed it so much I upgraded to the pro version . Good stuff, highly recommended if you like such games .

Fusebox said:
people need to start posting links when they post random gams like that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I played more of Real Racing 2 and I think it's the most fun I've had with a racing game in ages. Maybe since TrackMania.

The game certainly isn't perfect or anywhere close to that but since I'm not a total racing/sim nut I never, ever purchased a wheel for any of my consoles so these analog tilt controls are the closest experience to that for me outside arcade games that I haven't touched in ages. They really work well and make for a very fun experience, especially with the in-car view. I don't even mind the lack of manual transmission and analog gas/break yet.

You could argue Wii could offer a similar experience and also have buttons for gas/break/transmissions but few, if any, bothered serious racing attempts on it, and I actually think having the screen so in your face helps the experience too. At least for whatever reasons I never felt the Mario Kart Wii controls this fun. In this game so far it just feels great to be able to hold your racing line pretty damn precisely (I've disabled all aids except a little break level for now).

That said, are there any racing games that do have manual transmission and such? At first I thought it just wouldn't work. I found myself wishing for a certain company to port a certain retro game to it (I'm not port begging that's why I'm not mentioning which, it's just something I thought to myself and not the point of my post) before I remembered how important manual transmission is for that, and then thinking it would be impossible.

But I think I then came up with some schemes that could work for some games, as an option based on preferences and play styles.

At least better than not having the option for a manual transmission at all.

One option could be to give you controls that have the gas always floored and just give you manual digital break by touching anywhere on one side of the screen and 4 or so big ass easy to reach and tap transmission speed buttons on the other side.

Another option could be manual gas on one side of the screen and the transmission speeds + break on the other. Or gas + break on one side (you aren't usually supposed to push both at the same time, right?), the transmission speeds on the other side.

Another could be setup so that touching anywhere on one side would be gas, but do nothing by itself, you'd have to also slide your thumb up, down, left or right, each representing a different transmission speed, with manual break on the other side of the screen.

I think different setups like that could work good enough to give you a deeper driving experience while keeping the fun tilt steering controls.

For automatic transmissions you could also have analog gas and break by using slider style controls. Tap and hold to enable gas or break for whichever side to 0%, move upward to increase up to 100%. Or also take this slider idea and make upward sliding gas %, downward sliding break %, and transmission buttons on the other side.

Maybe depending on the racing game style it would still be gimped compared to what even a gamepad allows technically but the tilt steering ontrols alone would tip the scale to favoring that scheme for me. Hell, it already does even without these options!

Oh and I'm suggesting these as someone who really doesn't like touch controls for actions games on iPad2, I couldn't control that Super Crate Box rip off at all, but I feel it would be a different and doable thing to have such car controls, it's not the same as controlling a character's directions and actions to me.

Are there any racing games that do incorporate any options similar to these or do all so far opt to not give you manual transmission and such at all? Or perhaps do it in a better way I can't think of, this is my first racing game on iPad2 and it seemed to be the most in-depth one.

</gush>

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I enjoy Poker Pals from the couple of games I played with 8sanders. It sucks that free version only allows up to 3 simultaneous games though. Don't think I'd pay for it since I dont see many people playing.

Also needs chat.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Wario64 said:
I enjoy Poker Pals from the couple of games I played with 8sanders. It sucks that free version only allows up to 3 simultaneous games though. Don't think I'd pay for it since I dont see many people playing.

Also needs chat.

Yeah, I can't imagine having more than three games going. I paid to get rid of the ads and to give the devs a dollar. I don't see a whole lot of longevity here, but it is pretty original and fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Defender Chronicles is a ton of fun. I spent like three hours today playing it, and I tend to hate tower defense.

japtor

Alextended said:
That said, are there any racing games that do have manual transmission and such? At first I thought it just wouldn't work. I found myself wishing for a certain company to port a certain retro game to it (I'm not port begging that's why I'm not mentioning which, it's just something I thought to myself and not the point of my post) before I remembered how important manual transmission is for that, and then thinking it would be impossible.
Need for Speed Shift 2 does...I haven't actually played the iPad one, but I know the iPhone one has it at least so the iPad one should too. It's pretty simple and actually works well. Along with the basic brake on left and gas on right, you swipe up/down, lift and press again to shift with the right.
For automatic transmissions you could also have analog gas and break by using slider style controls. Tap and hold to enable gas or break for whichever side to 0%, move upward to increase up to 100%. Or also take this slider idea and make upward sliding gas %, downward sliding break %, and transmission buttons on the other side.
There's a game called Drift Mania Championship that has slider gas but the game is way too squirrelly steering wise to judge the slider gas method off of it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Finished my first run through Edo Towns. 109,700 points. Not sure if I was playing the game wrong or what but I NEVER had enough money. Even in the final years, I was broke.

PixyJunket said:
9vfqrq.png

:)
I'm sorry, have been out of the loop for a while, but what game is that?

Also, I just picked up a 4S. Any good games that make use of the retina display?

Shaneus

Shearie said:
Mage Gauntlet
Fuck. I would kill for regular Gauntlet on iPhone.

In fact, I would kill for a game which is basically identical to Gauntlet, but with RPG-esque elements to it. A game like that is bound to be already out and on iOS, but I'd have no idea where to start looking.

Shaneus said:

In fact, I would kill for a game which is basically identical to Gauntlet, but with RPG-esque elements to it. A game like that is bound to be already out and on iOS, but I'd have no idea where to start looking.
Solomon's Keep. Pick a wizard (each one has different spells, stats) and then go around individual rooms killing stuff, levelling up, getting items, trying to find the exit to get to the top floor and kill the end boss.

Shaneus

glaringradio said:
Solomon's Keep. Pick a wizard (each one has different spells, stats) and then go around individual rooms killing stuff, levelling up, getting items, trying to find the exit to get to the top floor and kill the end boss.
Thanks! Is it meant to be free, though? The full version, whilst having in-game paid whatever, looks to be otherwise free and not crippled at all. Odd.

Tobor

Zefah said:
Defender Chronicles is a ton of fun. I spent like three hours today playing it, and I tend to hate tower defense.
Defender Chronicles is a great game. It never got the love it deserves around here. Maybe the sequel will correct that oversight.

I easily put 40 hours into that game, probably more.

Hige

Shaneus said:

In addition to Solomon's Keep, I'd recommend checking out Solomon's Boneyard, Dungeon Hunter 2, and Pocket RPG.

Solomon's Boneyard is a score attack version of Solomon's Keep and there's no need to buy IAP last time I checked.

Dungeon Hunter 2 (iPhone, iPad) is a Diablo clone from Gameloft, but I think it's one of their better quality games. Wait for one of Gameloft's 99c sales, though.

Pocket RPG (Universal or iPhone only version) is kind of a combination of Diablo, Gauntlet, and roguelike games. You start each zone at level 1, but you earn points you can use to purchase skills with so your character keeps getting more powerful over time. The three classes play quite differently so there's some replay value in trying each class.

Bigfoot

Tobor said:
Defender Chronicles is a great game. It never got the love it deserves around here. Maybe the sequel will correct that oversight.

I easily put 40 hours into that game, probably more.
Yes, awesome game but does require a lot of grinding which is unusual for a TD.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
GDJustin said:
Finished my first run through Edo Towns. 109,700 points. Not sure if I was playing the game wrong or what but I NEVER had enough money. Even in the final years, I was broke.
Mine was 103K points. I did not get any real influx of money until the last year or two, and even then it was never over $5,000. The only things that carry over in new games are shop levels and combos as well, which is a tad disheartening.

Though I spent a year building a new town and I was not having any difficulty in money compared to the previous game. Perhaps the increase in shop levels really do help and it seems the be the large reason why there are 3 "scenario maps." I also don't know if it was just me but the years went by a lot quicker this time compared to previous games.

I'm still waiting patiently for RPG Story and the Ninja games to get ported over to the iOS.

heringer

So, just got my iPad 2 and boy, this thing is dreamy. Not sure if it's that initial excitment, but I think I will be playing most of my games on the iPad now, sorry iPhone. One thing I love about touchscreen gaming is that when it's done right it turns into a much more intimate experience, and the iPad takes that to the next level.

I usually play on a iPhone 4, and I noticed MUCH better performance in a few games. Most notably Dungeon Defenders (really smooth now, runs like crap on the iPhone) and Modern Combat 3.

I also downloaded that Bungie game, Crimson Pirates. It's pretty awesome. Like a dumbed down version of Pirates! (which I bought too), but very slick and plays great. Though I think it might be just a tad expensive, since the chapter two is $2 and if it's anything like the first one, not a lot of content in it.

Oh, and the iPad version of Civ Revolution is sooo much better than the iPhone one. It's not a HD version of the same game, it actually has quite a few enhancements.

Soooo, aside from Aquaria and Machinarium, any other iPad only games I should be looking for?

Zeth

iPad is home to the superior versions of Plants vs Zombies(if it ever gets zen garden update), Osmos, Battleheart, and Cut the Rope among others.

Some other games that I think are great on the iPad: Jelly Defense, Bike Baron, Phoenix HD, and Espgaluda II HD

Psy-Phi

heringer said:
So, just got my iPad 2 and boy, this thing is dreamy. Not sure if it's that initial excitment, but I think I will be playing most of my games on the iPad now, sorry iPhone. One thing I love about touchscreen gaming is that when it's done right it turns into a much more intimate experience, and the iPad takes that to the next level.

I usually play on a iPhone 4, and I noticed MUCH better performance in a few games. Most notably Dungeon Defenders (really smooth now, runs like crap on the iPhone) and Modern Combat 3.

I also downloaded that Bungie game, Crimson Pirates. It's pretty awesome. Like a dumbed down version of Pirates! (which I bought too), but very slick and plays great. Though I think it might be just a tad expensive, since the chapter two is $2 and if it's anything like the first one, not a lot of content in it.

Oh, and the iPad version of Civ Revolution is sooo much better than the iPhone one. It's not a HD version of the same game, it actually has quite a few enhancements.

Soooo, aside from Aquaria and Machinarium, any other iPad only games I should be looking for?
May not be exclusive to the iPad but certainly better: Anomaly: Warzone Earth, and Sword & Sworcery. Perhaps Infinity Blade as well

Mrbob

I'm kicking myself for missing the Civ Revolution Ipad sale at $1.99. Hopefully I get another shot before Ipad 3 is out.

Flek

Banned
Banzaiaap said:
Also, I just picked up a 4S. Any good games that make use of the retina display?

this please , i need more! I found myself going back to this jetpack game just because of the graphics :D

heringer

Zeth said:
iPad is home to the superior versions of Plants vs Zombies(if it ever gets zen garden update), Osmos, Battleheart, and Cut the Rope among others.

Some other games that I think are great on the iPad: Jelly Defense, Bike Baron, Phoenix HD, and Espgaluda II HD

Psy-Phi said:
May not be exclusive to the iPad but certainly better: Anomaly: Warzone Earth, and Sword & Sworcery. Perhaps Infinity Blade as well
Thanks guys. I have all the games you mentioned on my iPhone though, so I'm not planning on buying a HD version or replaying them again.

Psy-Phi

heringer said:
Thanks guys. I have all the games you mentioned on my iPhone though, so I'm not planning on buying a HD version or replaying them again.
I forgot t mention Greed Corp. believe it's exclusive to the iPad at the moment. Lotta fun u less you don't dig strategy types.

Yep. Joined up with the GAF 360 clan for MW3. And Skyrim just looks outstanding.

I had posted here my Xbox was stolen about a month and a half ago. Jumped on the 360 Holiday Bundle and it just came yesterday. Going to be a good week.

Back on topic, played a ton of League of Evil today. I'm a child of the 80s, so, 8bit platformer fits right into my wheelhouse. Think it's well done.

Will also again put out the call, if anyone wants to fire up Kard Combat, hit me up.

Ranger X

About Across Age...

There's 3 versions with the same descriptions and screenshots. what gives?

(Across Age - 2,99$ / Across Age EX - 0,99$ / Across Age DX - 4,99$)

atre324

Shaneus said:

Catacombs!

Flunkie

Banned
bigwinnerx said:
I'm a huge, huge iOS nerd (Carc, et al). But, this week is going to be console centered. [ducks]
Yep. I didn't buy a lot of games for a long time, then last week I took advantage of a Target gift card, a friend's employee discount, and the buy 2 get 1 free deal and splurged on Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, Dark Souls, and Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. Now with MW3, Assassin's Creed, Arkham City (PC), and Skyrim coming, I'm basically screwed. Such a hard life. :lol

Incidentally, started playing Dexter: The Game today with RetinaPad, and it's so good! Kind of rough gameplay wise (but still accessible), but they nailed the atmosphere and characters.

Rimfya

Banned
toythatkills said:
Block Rogue is neat, but it's not much more than really basic Sokoban in a lovely skin
Yeah just gave it a few minutes.

Controls terrible, having to tap for every grid is a bit annoying. Also it's all about pushing blocks -- no enemy encounters like Lolo.

Looks *fantastic* though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom