• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tron 2.0

Ranger X said:
About Across Age...

There's 3 versions with the same descriptions and screenshots. what gives?

(Across Age - 2,99$ / Across Age EX - 0,99$ / Across Age DX - 4,99$)
Yeah, it's confusing. There's actually a fourth version just for iPad.

Across Age: Full game, not Retina Display.
Across Age EX: Basically a lite version, I think. Just the first chapter.
Across Age DX: Full game, Retina Display compatible.

Ranger X

Tron 2.0 said:
Yeah, it's confusing. There's actually a fourth version just for iPad.

Across Age: Full game, not Retina Display.
Across Age EX: Basically a lite version, I think. Just the first chapter.
Across Age DX: Full game, Retina Display compatible.

I see, thank you good sir.

Azriell

Remy said:
There's bunches of Zelda clones (like Across Age), but for Lolo clones, give Block Rogue a try.

Block Rogue (iPhone)
Block Rogue HD (iPad)
Wow, great find! I'm on my fifth puzzle now, and I'm absolutely loving it. The art is really doing it for me. I'm really sick of all the puzzle games on iOS, but this one is shining through.

Controls could be improved upon, but they're not terrible. They're swipe controls, but you have to swipe for each tile, of keep dragging your finger (swiping and holding doesn't work). The solution I've found is to drag very slowly, and to place my finger in the logical spot so as not to obscure my view if I'm walking across the entire room (and thus dragging over a large portion of the screen). As long as your finger is moving east, your character will continue to move east, at the set walking speed regardless of the speed of your finger. Swipe and hold would be ideal, but I still prefer this over a dpad/virtual stick, especially given the grid-based movement.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still playing Real Racing 2... There's something really satisfying about its in car view while you weave past your rivals...

And somehow I'm not doing too bad with it either, usually I suck with first person esque views and need to see my car...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WELDER is fun. Plus you get to learn new words since you can double tap a word and it'll give you the definition. Educational!

Oh, it also has iCloud saves

Oh awesome. Tales of Monkey Island episode one is showing up on the iPhone app store. Looks like they're porting their mainline series to iPhone now. I hope that's the case at least. I would double dip on a few of them.

Danneee

Buttonbasher said:
Oh awesome. Tales of Monkey Island episode one is showing up on the iPhone app store. Looks like they're porting their mainline series to iPhone now. I hope that's the case at least. I would double dip on a few of them.

Nice!
Will absolutely buy. Now give us puny picture pheasants Pirates! too.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I never expected to say this about a Gameloft game, but with the 4S update, Asphalt 6 genuinely blew me away in how graphically impressive it is and how much it feels like a full-fledged racing game. Hell, when I threw on some Futureheads while playing, it felt just like a Need for Speed or Burnout game. Definitely the biggest "holy shit" moment since downloading Epic Citadel last year.

Speaking of Burnout, is their a date for the iOS version of Burnout Crash yet? Wasn't terribly enamored with it on consoles, but the game would translate perfectly to that portable experience IMO.

Shaneus

Holy shit that wizard/Gauntlet/RPG twinstick game is fucking awesome. And free! I can't remember who suggested it, but it fits the bill perfectly.

cuyahoga said:
I never expected to say this about a Gameloft game, but with the 4S update, Asphalt 6 genuinely blew me away in how graphically impressive it is and how much it feels like a full-fledged racing game. Hell, when I threw on some Futureheads while playing, it felt just like a Need for Speed or Burnout game. Definitely the biggest "holy shit" moment since downloading Epic Citadel last year.

Speaking of Burnout, is their a date for the iOS version of Burnout Crash yet? Wasn't terribly enamored with it on consoles, but the game would translate perfectly to that portable experience IMO.

Huh, was asphalt more ridge racer or burnout? I remember getting one of the earlier ones on my razr phone and/or iphone 3g.

Deepo

For anyone wanting a speed up function for Final Fantasy Tactics: you should buy an iPhone 4S.

It seems Square has tied the timing of the game to the CPU clock speed, so everyone is running around. It kind of removes some of the gravitas from the game. But I guess a "Benny Hill-playthrough" could be good as well.

SmokyDave

DangerousDave said:
Junk Jack has been sent to review, so probably we'll have it in a few days. Is something between Terraria and Minecraft in iOS, and I'm really excited, more than for the Minecraft release in iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huY6hn9bsUM
Jeez. I've been playing a lot of 'Eden' and recently picked up 'Crafted', looks like I'll be buying this too.

No idea why, I'm not convinced this style of game even works on a phone. It's too time-consuming for a portable game. Looks cool though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
DangerousDave said:
Junk Jack has been sent to review, so probably we'll have it in a few days. Is something between Terraria and Minecraft in iOS, and I'm really excited, more than for the Minecraft release in iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huY6hn9bsUM

been waiting for this since i heard about it. it looks damn fun. anyone know if it's ipad or iphone only?

soldat7 said:
Aquaria is just so dang good. Fits the iPad like a glove. The game should not be missed, no matter the platform.

yea i'm really digging this game. the music and art are really great and i haven't played a solid metriodvania since shadow complex so this is more than welcome.

Azriell

dreamcastmaster said:
No game that sells coins/gold in app is actually free.
The IAP in Solomon's Keep are completely optional. It's not even something that most people would think twice about, because it's so unnecessary. I'd use the donate button before buying coins.

Solomon's Keep is the game that sold me on virtual sticks, and I still think they did it better than 90% of everyone else out there. Awesome game, and free to boot.

meppi

Reese-015 said:
Alien Space Retro is great! Much better than Infinity Field imo.

But if you like that kinda stuff, you HAVE to get Super Crossfire. Shit is EPIC, especially now with the amazing Dark Chapter update. Game is seriously coming close to becoming my top iOS favorite.

I agree. Like it a lot more than the other arena shooters on iOS.

Just bought the HD version of Super Crossfire due to your recommendation.
I'm sure I'll enjoy this tonight at work. ;)

Oceanhorn looks good.

Oceanhorn-blog-logo-small.png

Oceanhorn-iPhone4S-bullshot-small.png

Oceanhorn is an ancient sea monster that terrorizes the World of Uncharted Seas. The game puts you in the boots of a nameless hero who, in order to save his sister, must slay this monster for good. In this game, the world is open for exploration by foot or by boat, but beware - the sea monster can attack at any time and ill-prepared travelers will meet their early demise.

Equip your boat with new sails, hulls or even with forgotten technology like Smog Engine to outwit Oceanhorn in battle. Roam the lands and explore ancient ruins to find the legendary Coral Harpoon. Learn the history of the Uncharted Seas. What happened to the civilization whose cities now lay in ruins?

Experience the adventure in 2012!

lol, just noticed the above screenshot is Oceanhorn-iPhone4S-bullshot-small.png.

http://Oceanhorn.blogspot.com/

Oceanhorn looks like a very cool top-down Zelda game!

My top most addicting games so far:

Castlevania Puzzle
WELDER
Dungeon Raid
Sword & Poker 2
Bookworm

These are games I never get bored of and just have that right amount of depth, simplicity, and enjoyment.

Also, I want to try and get into those Kairosoft games. I have a lot of them but I really haven't tried them out yet. I guess I feel intimidated by them, but I'm going to try one out this week and see how they're like. I'm sure they're addicting and fun to play. I'll try Game Dev first and want to get into Grand Prix.

Pastry

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Oceanhorn looks like a very cool top-down Zelda game!

My top most addicting games so far:

Castlevania Puzzle
WELDER
Dungeon Raid
Sword & Poker 2
Bookworm

These are games I never get bored of and just have that right amount of depth, simplicity, and enjoyment.

Also, I want to try and get into those Kairosoft games. I have a lot of them but I really haven't tried them out yet. I guess I feel intimidated by them, but I'm going to try one out this week and see how they're like. I'm sure they're addicting and fun to play. I'll try Game Dev first and want to get into Grand Prix.
I would love an HD version of Bookworm but this is Popcap we are talking about so I'm not expecting anything :(

Alexios

Skyward Sword bokoblins?

But why don't all these devs try to make some interesting touch controls? Even the DS Zeldas were touch controlled. Instead they all go for virtual sticks.

They're really bad in the games I've tried, at least with iPad's size.

ced

infiniteloop said:
Oceanhorn looks good.

When will iOS developers understand we don't need a virtual stick icon that takes up a quarter of screen real estate, shit.

Just make it where any place you put your finger on the screen serves as a virtual stick, no icon necessary, ie Mage Gauntlet.

Otherwise that looks really nice.

Firewarrior

Neo Member
Yeah, they should have a option of using the players finger to drag Zelda about like in the DS games, you used the stylus, but really they should give players choice between touch and on-screen joystick. Other than that, the game looks amazing.

Pachimari

Only 8 weeks left of the year, we surely should start see some of the 2011 games turn up on the App Store.

15th: Jurassic Park: The Game (iPad 2)
Combat Arms: Zombies
Epoch
Monster Burner
Assassin's Creed: Recollection
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Rabbids Go HD
Rabbids Go Phone Again

December
1st: Infinity Blade 2
Reckless Racing 2

Assassin's Creed: Rearmed (iPad)
Battlefield 3: Aftershock
Burnout Crash
Crow
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (iPad)
Football Manager Handheld 2012
Grand Theft Auto III: 10th Anniversary Edition
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Max Payne HD
Minecraft: Portable Edition
Prince of Persia: Classic
Rayman: Origins
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Sonic CD
Soul Calibur
sQuiz: Reel Trivia
Superman
REFLEC BEAT plus
Theme Park
XIII
Zombie Wonderland 2

Jurassic Park: The Social Game
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
The Longest Journey

Pastry

Banned
New info on Star Command from their Kickstarter page plus two screenshots.

Q: You lying bastards! So what is done? What is taking so damn long?

A: It's a big game, this is a small team, and we're perfectionists. So what the hell is done? Actually a whole heck of a lot. Ship to ship combat is in there, character stats, resource spending, navigation, damage models - lot's of stuff. Understand, that all of these things have to work together, so its hard to finish one system, polish it, then move onto the next. They all work hand in hand, so we get one done, move to the next, then circle back around to tweak the previous system with all the changes that the next system systemed. Wait what? It's complicated. Believe us though - we are working very hard.

Q: This shit is starting to sound like vaporware.....

A: It's not. Not even close. It's very far along, its genuinely fun, and we are 110% sure the game is coming out in a reasonable time span. We don't want a Duke Nukem Forever scenario (or anything remotely close). We WANT you to play our game. Badly.

Q: Alright, what about the beta?

A: That should be sooner rather than later. We're very close to having an initial pool take a look at the game and start getting some gameplay and bug feedback. Some outside developers (no we're not saying who, but you have heard of them) have actually already looked at the game just for some initial feedback - and there has been much excitement. 

soldat7 said:
And hopefully expansions for Ascension and Carcassonne.

Same company that does Ascension also has Summoner Wars and Nightfall up as "Fall 2011", hopefully they won't be delayed too much. It'd be pretty awesome to get all three of these games this year.

Alexios

Sudoku Infinite is free and has a nice enough interface, though it could use some updates.

I don't know if the puzzles are good, I don't know how to play, I got it for my sis.
welcome.jpg

It looks better on iPhone than on my iPad I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom