• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

So, Junk Jack. Is it more of a knockoff or is it different enough (or at least trying to be) to warrant a buy?

I don't like to support clones, but then again some people said that Terraria is a Minecraft clone and I fucking loved Terraria.

Sye d'Burns

Tobor said:
What am I missing? I put exactly those ingredients in...no book.

It's a two step process:
You have to make the paper with papyrus first. then you make the book by binding the four paper (paper, not notes) with two pieces of leather.

Once your book is made you can put a note in your quick bar and then just hold the note. It will be put into your book automatically.

Tobor

Sye d'Burns said:
It's a two step process:
You have to make the paper with papyrus first. then you make the book by binding the four paper (paper, not notes) with two pieces of leather.

Once your book is made you can put a note in your quick bar and then just hold the note. It will be put into your book automatically.
I did exactly that. 4 paper, two leather. No book. Do I need to do something to the leather first?

EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot, I had bamboo, not papyrus.

Sye d'Burns

Sye d'Burns said:
It's a two step process:

vareon said:
So, Junk Jack. Is it more of a knockoff or is it different enough (or at least trying to be) to warrant a buy?

I don't like to support clones, but then again some people said that Terraria is a Minecraft clone and I fucking loved Terraria.

From what I've seen so far it's a good mix between Terraria and Minecraft. It's less combat oriented than Terraria and is quite crafty so far. Although it feels a lot like those two titles, it definitely feels like its own game. I also think I remember reading that development started on Junk Jack before Terraria was announced.

Fusebox

Banned
vareon said:

No retina, no universal, no guide. It's a tough recommendation at this stage.

Tobor said:
I did exactly that. 4 paper, two leather. No book. Do I need to do something to the leather first?

EDIT: never mind, I'm an idiot, I had bamboo, not papyrus.

has to be in the proper order in the box, other than that it should work

vareon

Fusebox said:

I can handle with no retina and no guide (might be fun to try things without knowing it beforehand) but it's unfortunate with no universal. Unless somebody posted an iPad screenshot. I enjoyed Kairosoft's games on my iPad 1 even though they're not universal.

Sye d'Burns

arts&crafts said:
I feel that if they gave instructions this game would be => terraria but as of now we are working off a forum post lol

Although I agree in principle, I have to remind myself that whenever I'm playing Minecraft, I usually have a wiki open so at this point it's almost sop for the genre. Of course, being a mobile game, that's quite a bit harder on an iOS device.

Fusebox said:

It plays perfectly fine for me in 2x on the iPad and even looks pretty decent. Still, I somewhat agree with your sentiment. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when they announce the HD version for X amount more.

Interesting tidbit, to me at least. In a nod to Terarria, if you create a new world, your old character goes along for the ride. You have to explicitly delete the character data.

Tobor

arts&crafts said:
has to be in the proper order in the box, other than that it should work
As I edited, I'm an idiot. I have my book now, and an appreciation for the magnifying glass. Lol.

I'm enjoying this. They already stated a guide/tutorial is coming in the first update for the people who are worried about that.

Sye d'Burns said:
Although I agree in principle, I have to remind myself that whenever I'm playing Minecraft, I usually have a wiki open so at this point it's almost sop for the genre. Of course, being a mobile game, that's quite a bit harder on an iOS device.

Not really. I'm flipping back and forth between the game and this thread without any trouble.

Fusebox

Banned
Tobor said:
Not really. I'm flipping back and forth between the game and this thread without any trouble.

This. I reckon the 4 finger wipe to go between the game and the wiki is probably one of the BEST ways to go back and forth.

Sye d'Burns

Sye d'Burns said:
Interesting tidbit, to me at least. In a nod to Terarria, if you create a new world, your old character goes along for the ride. You have to explicitly delete the character data.

There's something a little buggy about this. I notice if you delete your character data and start a new world that you start with no items from your old game(as you should) but if you had diminished health, that still carries over into the new game. Started a new world with 1/2 heart :/

One of the tips I picked up addressed a problem I was having. To place a block under your feet, just place it on yourself and you will jump automatically. There has to be a block behind it as well, so it may take two blocks if you've been digging into the background. Finding that has opened up the ability to do some early 1 block wide tunneling for me.

Tobor said:
I'm enjoying this. They already stated a guide/tutorial is coming in the first update for the people who are worried about that.

I understand why they did what they did with the recipes. Gotta collect 'em all and whatnot. Hopefully the update will at least address the issue some have with block placement and elementary crafting.

Well, flipping to the browser and back on iOS is doable, that's true. :p

hyp

Fusebox said:
This. I reckon the 4 finger wipe to go between the game and the wiki is probably one of the BEST ways to go back and forth.
love them new gestures! give us a universal version now damnit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, I asked this a while back:

Before iOS5 when on 3G I tried to download an app >20MB it would put the app's icon on my screen and stuck it there until I could finalize the dl on Wifi, with the purchase registering on iTunes.

Now it seems that it isn't the case, you just can't "pre-load" an app >20MB on 3G, the purchase won't register and the icon vanishes.

This means no more getting advantage of sales or free games while on 3G, waiting to be back home to download stuff on wifi.
WTF! Is that how it is (WHYYYYYY) or I got some kind of known bug in iOS5?

KtSlime

Dash Kappei said:

Before iOS5 when on 3G I tried to download an app >20MB it would put the app's icon on my screen and stuck it there until I could finalize the dl on Wifi, with the purchase registering on iTunes.

Now it seems that it isn't the case, you just can't "pre-load" an app >20MB on 3G, the purchase won't register and the icon vanishes.

This means no more getting advantage of sales or free games while on 3G, waiting to be back home to download stuff on wifi.

I have never had it work that way for me. If over 20mb, it simply gives you the message and does not finalize the purchase. That's how it has always been for me, so it seems to me that the behavior you experienced in prior was the bug, not the current behavior. I agree that it sucks though.

Dash Kappei said:

I've noticed this as well. On my iPad, I used to be able to register the purchase even if the app is >20mb per iOS 5. Now it doesn't let me do that.

I missed a deal on the Dungeon RPG a week ago, blame iOS 5 for it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
arts&crafts said:
I agree with you there but once you get the basics down from this guide http://forum.pixbits.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=448 it gets a lot easier. I feel like you will give it a bad review because of lack of instruction which I agree with, but there is a nice game underneath that.

Well lucky for Junk Jack no review is imminent b/c IGN Wireless has not one, not two, but three exclusive reveals of very very big iOS games, this week. Starting Tuesday!

After those, Junk Jack review will be worked on. But yes, IDK why the hell the devs thought it would be ok to not have a Terraria-style recipe discovery mechanism, besides occasionally finding new ones at random on scraps of paper.

Dash Kappei

sweetvar26 said:
I've noticed this as well. On my iPad, I used to be able to register the purchase even if the app is >20mb per iOS 5. Now it doesn't let me do that.

I missed a deal on the Dungeon RPG a week ago, blame iOS 5 for it.
Exactly. And it's not only missing the freebies, I'm buying less and less games 'cause of this, the impulse buys are basically no more. I'm on iPad as well, btw, anybody with an iPhone can comment on this?

ivedoneyourmom said:
I have never had it work that way for me. If over 20mb, it simply gives you the message and does not finalize the purchase. That's how it has always been for me, so it seems to me that the behavior you experienced in prior was the bug, not the current behavior. I agree that it sucks though.

Naah, I'm positive it wasn't a bug making it work that way for me and thousands others pre-iOS5.
I know you're not the only one who had it that way tho, maybe it's related to the ISP or something, I dunno.
I had it like you for a week, during the 4.3.1 firmware release but then it was "fixed" with 4.3.2 so I assumed it was a bug back then... But now it seems to be back for good :-/

Dev-GAF knows anything about it?

p.s.
Secondapps is all kind of fucked-up for me today, it's tripping with countless URL/CODE tag icons!

Radogol

Tequila Mobile just released a game I've had the pleasure of working on. It's called Bubble Universe and is, I sincerely believe, a fun and innovative take on Match-3 with some light story elements.

ve0ndu.png
21a0b2w.png

DOWNLOAD: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-universe/id468064190?mt=8&ls=1
TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OdO3qWE_w&

Protip: if you don't have wifi and you need to downlad a +20mb app, you can share internet from iphone to ipad and download the app on the ipad. I' in a hospital and that's how I downloaded Junk Jack.

one_kill

Just started playing Hot Springs Story and I'm not really enjoying it. Prior to playing it, I've played Game Dev and Pocket Academy. I enjoyed Game Dev a lot, and I thought Pocket Academy was good until it got repetitive. Hot Springs Story however isn't as fun. Hopefully it gets more interesting.

Gaaraz

Do the characters in Temple Run effect gameplay at all? I'm trying to get a score of over 2 million but really struggling right now...

one_kill said:
Just started playing Hot Springs Story and I'm not really enjoying it. Prior to playing it, I've played Game Dev and Pocket Academy. I enjoyed Game Dev a lot, and I thought Pocket Academy was good until it got repetitive. Hot Springs Story however isn't as fun. Hopefully it gets more interesting.

It really is a game that requires a few hot tips early on, especially with room and facility combinations. It balances on experimentation, and don't hold back from demolishing half your Onsen hotel if need be.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can make my iPhone screen static? I want to use it to trace images off, like a lightbox. As its so bright it's a great surface to do it with, but the screen still reacts to touch thru the paper. Any apps that let you do this?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
POWERSPHERE said:
Anyone have any ideas of how I can make my iPhone screen static? I want to use it to trace images off, like a lightbox. As its so bright it's a great surface to do it with, but the screen still reacts to touch thru the paper. Any apps that let you do this?
Wear anti-static gloves or other thin gloves of some sort.

I've been playing some of the "lite" version of Companions, and I have to say, I've been enjoying it a bit, but as soon as I got all four of the heroes to use at the same time, I kind of lost interest.

Are there any other games that play like that, but you only control a single character? Prefer if it supports the iPad natively.

Larsen B

POWERSPHERE said:

Press home and lock at the same time to take a screenshot and then look at it in Photos?

Double D

I want to play a lot more of Slam Dunk King but my finger gets too sweaty after about a minute of play. I feel like I need to powder up my finger or the screen or something.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Vik_Vaughn said:
I want to play a lot more of Slam Dunk King but my finger gets too sweaty after about a minute of play. I feel like I need to powder up my finger or the screen or something.

Lebron-Powder2.jpg

Reese-015

Super Crossfire HD is on sale for $0.99! It's universal and has slightly higher quality assets than the normal version. GET IIIIIT!!

(I had the normal version but I'm getting this just to support the devs cause they ROCK)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gaaraz said:
Do the characters in Temple Run effect gameplay at all? I'm trying to get a score of over 2 million but really struggling right now...

They effect the multiplyer as having all characters unlocked gives you 2 achievements along the way

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reese-015 said:
Super Crossfire HD is on sale for $0.99! It's universal and has slightly higher quality assets than the normal version. GET IIIIIT!!

(I had the normal version but I'm getting this just to support the devs cause they ROCK)

Bugger, I just bought it full price a couple days back. Really enjoying it so far though. I kinda think it plays better on the phone, it suffers from controls-at-the-bottom syndrome on the iPad. But it is a genuinely fun shooter and seems to have a lot of legs.

KtSlime

Dash Kappei said:
Naah, I'm positive it wasn't a bug making it work that way for me and thousands others pre-iOS5.
I know you're not the only one who had it that way tho, maybe it's related to the ISP or something, I dunno.
I had it like you for a week, during the 4.3.1 firmware release but then it was "fixed" with 4.3.2 so I assumed it was a bug back then... But now it seems to be back for good :-/
I had just assumed it was a backed setting on the iTunes server, perhaps it is set using the carrier profiles, has your carrier updated their profile with the new iOS release?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Dash Kappei

ivedoneyourmom said:
I had just assumed it was a backed setting on the iTunes server, perhaps it is set using the carrier profiles, has your carrier updated their profile with the new iOS release?
I honestly don't know how to find out if my carrier, which is Vodafone, has updated its profile... How would I find out?

Anybody else feels like sharing how their 20MB limit works, pre and post iOS5?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've played Infinity Blade 2. The first person outside of Chair to do so, if they are to be believed.

Hands-on impressions coming today.

Sneak peak? Think about what you liked LEAST about the original. Assume that whatever you're thinking about has been fixed.

Reese-015

GDJustin said:
I've played Infinity Blade 2. The first person outside of Chair to do so, if they are to be believed.

Hands-on impressions coming today.

Sneak peak? Think about what you liked LEAST about the original. Assume that whatever you're thinking about has been fixed.

Cool! Not sure if I'll get it upon launch. I played (and still play) IB soooooo much... I'm starting to get a bit burnt out on it. Now if it has a launch sale on the other hand...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I didn't like it was on rails with a few limited paths to choose from and my character not even walking to where I click but just having a few preset transition cut scenes if any, and not even walking to treasures etc and having to pay attention to see treasures even in the transition cut scenes to click on like it's some on rails shooter, etc. And the combat was too waggly. Parrying and blocking and dodging was nice in concept though they could use some refining but actual attacking was an exercise in frustration, I don't wanna have to mash like a mad man to ensure I get as many hits as is possible in. And of course the lack of variety, the gameplay remaining the same throughout the whole game (biggest change being that different spells you got required different rune drawing, lol) regardless of weapon since they were all the same type. All that is fixed?

Dwayne

Vik_Vaughn said:

I find it helps if you push a bit lighter on the screen :)

Reese-015

Alextended said:
I didn't like it was on rails with a few limited paths to choose from and my character not even walking to where I click but just having a few preset transition cut scenes if any, and not even walking to treasures etc and having to pay attention to see treasures even in the transition cut scenes to click on like it's some on rails shooter, etc. And the combat was too waggly. Parrying and blocking and dodging was nice in concept though they could use some refining but actual attacking was an exercise in frustration, I don't wanna have to mash like a mad man to ensure I get as many hits as is possible in. And of course the lack of variety, the gameplay remaining the same throughout the whole game (biggest change being that different spells you got required different rune drawing, lol) regardless of weapon since they were all the same type. All that is fixed?

Actually, I read a recent interview with a cHair dude (can't remember where atm) and actually most of that seemed fixed yeah! You have different weapon styles where you can go for bigger and slower weapons (which is what you'd prefer I think) or you can go for something like dual wielding where it's even faster than IB and you can't block. The world is also much bigger and they added a lot of different paths + the environment evolves throughout the 'bloodlines', plants/trees grow over the years etc.

Pastry

Banned
I'm still totally in love with Aquaria. I'm around 8 hours in and probably halfway done I think. There is a ton of stuff to explore with this game, the world map is pretty gigantic. There is a small issue or two with controls like accidently switching forms in boss fights but it is an excellent port. This is one of the first games that makes me feel like I'm playing a console, plus it's just so damn relaxing.

BFIB

I've been playing DOOM again on my iPhone. Really want Doom 2 ported! I wonder if its ever going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom