• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chopper said:
New Simogo title? Colour me intrigued. Loved Kosmo Spin. I'm one of those annoying dudes who couldn't quite get to grips with the Bumpy Road controls, but the art was beautiful.
I think one of the problems with Bumpy is that it looks like platformer and that sort of tells your brain that the car should have the momentum or physics of, say, Mario. But the gameplay is much more close to a ball rolling/balancing game, like Monkey Ball.

edit:
Well... Maybe not the gameplay, but... Flow, and physics.

Radogol

McBacon said:
Hey dudes. I'm interviewing Chair today, regarding Infinity Blade 2. Any questions you want me to ask?

Do we get to play some of the events of the book (like the battle with the
female Deathless
), or will it begin right after
coming out of the regeneration chamber
? Also, will a certain sassy female assassin/thief be a character in the game?

EDIT: And speaking of the book, will the Siris be able to collect penises so he can write in his journal?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
McBacon said:
Hey dudes. I'm interviewing Chair today, regarding Infinity Blade 2. Any questions you want me to ask?
- any connectivity/perks of having IB1/achievements?
- filesize?
- compatibility with past devices (details on scalability)?
- multiplayer (details!)?

smuttlegiaco

Neo Member
Alextended said:
Companions (demo) seems pretty good.

The interface does feel a little tiresome though.

Maybe you could have a camera mode that follows the selected character so that you don't have to constantly drag the camera every few steps?

I didn't get to the full party bit yet, I'm up to where the chick allies with the minotaur and already it seemed a bit of a hassle to control both of them in combat (I guess you can use that formation stuff for casually moving around?), I imagine it's even more so with a full party of four and especially so if you have the dwarf having to build his various devices (does he regardless of class, I'm not sure, mine was an engineer). I dunno how you could make it simpler though...

Finally, what's up with all these LITE and FREE things cluttering the store on top of the main versions, can't they just be labelled as demos and/or only exist as a sub-page to the main app itself and a special demo area since they really are just demos for the most part, and they make it harder to find genuinely free stuff...

well, I dunno why you call demo versions "lite" in the app store, but I remember some regulations of Apple or something like this (I've to much to do to search for it right now though :) )

as to Companions: you have seen the "tactical pause" in the top center of the interface, the hourglass. without the use of this feature, playing the game can get very hectic and hard to manage. that's why we implemented it. :). it's not a classical hack&slay game after all.
if you want to move the camera quickly on a character, tap the portrait two times!

once you get the hang on how the interface works, it becomes rather natural to use. (we are open for any suggestions though! :) )

yeah, the dwarf build things, regardless of the class you have chosen. it's sometimes good to build things up when no enemies are around, so you have a strong defensive position. when things get hairy and there are to much enemies around, use the dwarf as tank or damage dealer alongside the minotaur. always keep reserve equipment in your backpack!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
smuttlegiaco said:
well, I dunno why you call demo versions "lite" in the app store, but I remember some regulations of Apple or something like this (I've to much to do to search for it right now though :) )

as to Companions: you have seen the "tactical pause" in the top center of the interface, the hourglass. without the use of this feature, playing the game can get very hectic and hard to manage. that's why we implemented it. :). it's not a classical hack&slay game after all.
if you want to move the camera quickly on a character, tap the portrait two times!

once you get the hang on how the interface works, it becomes rather natural to use. (we are open for any suggestions though! :) )

yeah, the dwarf build things, regardless of the class you have chosen. it's sometimes good to build things up when no enemies are around, so you have a strong defensive position. when things get hairy and there are to much enemies around, use the dwarf as tank or damage dealer alongside the minotaur. always keep reserve equipment in your backpack!
Yeah I saw that stuff. I meant for the camera to auto-scroll keeping your currently selected character centered as you move through an area so that you don't have to stop if there's no need, just continue tapping ahead as more stuff come into view. Maybe it wouldn't make much difference, idk. Still, good stuff. Might get it later.

But currently I'm still obsessed with Real Racing 2, lol. The end is coming though, two tiers left.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3096/img0076.png
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/6024/img0077m.png
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9866/img0080qd.png
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8175/img0086zs.png
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6187/img0091h.png
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/598/img0105jjyz.png

Alexios

Gameloft should do a Shenmue clone. Those graphics yet better due to the smaller scope and free-ish roaming with more relaxed adventure style gameplay would be cool. The battles could be Punch-Out like instead of Virtua Fighter-like. Then again have they done anything with a focus on story?

Pachimari

Epoch and Gangstar Rio: City of Saints seems to be the "big" releases this week.

By the way, how many pages before a new thread is created?
I planned doing OT3 but were too slow, so I'm playing with the idea of doing the OT4 by incorporating the GAF-list of best games, having a constantly updated "coming soon" list etc.

Alexios

Gameloft has some games on sale in EU store (are they the same everywhere?). Dungeon Hunter 2 HD and Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard. Dunno how they are.

R6 has sharp graphics going by the screenshots (and that's probably all it has going for it, heh).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I haven't been following this thread as closely as I'd have liked, but any word on FF Tactics for iPad? You all got me amped for the game (never played it) but now the iPad version seems to have disappeared.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
So I haven't been following this thread as closely as I'd have liked, but any word on FF Tactics for iPad? You all got me amped for the game (never played it) but now the iPad version seems to have disappeared.

Yeah, it came out last week.

no it didn't still no word

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Jedeye Sniv said:
Yeah, it came out last week.

no it didn't still no word
LLShC.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has there been any word on a release date for Layton Bros: Mystery Room? It's pretty much the only iOS game I'm looking forward to right now.

Alextended said:
Gameloft has some games on sale in EU store (are they the same everywhere?). Dungeon Hunter 2 HD and Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard. Dunno how they are.

R6 has sharp graphics going by the screenshots (and that's probably all it has going for it, heh).

Dungeon Hunter is a decent diablo mainly because you can play it 'mouse click' style instead of virtual sticks.

r6 is garbage. No need to explain xD.

Remy

Anastacio said:
By the way, how many pages before a new thread is created?
I planned doing OT3 but were too slow, so I'm playing with the idea of doing the OT4 by incorporating the GAF-list of best games, having a constantly updated "coming soon" list etc.

It's at 20,000 posts or so.

Fox Mulder

GDJustin said:
You sound pretty sure of that ;)

yeah, I recall reading an interview where someone at Chair said they'd get around to a sequel eventually. They also said that doing it for ios wasn't preferable due to the controls.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
bkfount said:
yeah, I recall reading an interview where someone at Chair said they'd get around to a sequel eventually. They also said that doing it for ios wasn't preferable due to the controls.
IIRC development on it was put on the back-burner in favour of Infinity Blade (and it's sequel!).

hyp

aquaria is taking a beating on the app store with 2.5 stars. apparently it crashes a lot. what's the word gaf?

Pastry

Banned
hyp said:
aquaria is taking a beating on the app store with 2.5 stars. apparently it crashes a lot. what's the word gaf?
I haven't had it crash once and I am about 10 hours in, I'm on an iPad 2 so maybe it is an iPad 1 problem?

Zeth

hyp said:
Games that aren't universally compatible with every iDevice always get hammered with bad reviews from people who don't read the description or the reviews. Not sure if that's the case with Aquaria. Haven't had a crash myself.

Chounard

Neo Member
Zeth said:
Games that aren't universally compatible with every iDevice always get hammered with bad reviews from people who don't read the description or the reviews. Not sure if that's the case with Aquaria. Haven't had a crash myself.

They had some memory problems on iPad 1. If you killed all the other apps (or rebooted) it played fine. I had the problem myself until I read that.

There's an update out that's supposed to fix all of that, though.

Ugh, I really want to resist the temptation of buying Mega Mall Story, especially with buying lots of other random games recently, but it's difficult. I keep telling myself it'll be 99 cents soon enough, but after playing the demo it's tough.

I think Gameloft is having another sale right now.

A good time to pick up Starfront, Dungeon Hunter 2, Rainbow Six, and Backstab for $1!

I think Starfront and Dungeon Hunter 2 for $0.99 is a amazing deal.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think Gameloft is having another sale right now.

A good time to pick up Starfront, Dungeon Hunter 2, Rainbow Six, and Backstab for $1!

I think Starfront and Dungeon Hunter 2 for $0.99 is a amazing deal.

only interested in Dungeon Hunter or Backstab are they good? I don't have any gameloft games..

arts&crafts said:
only interested in Dungeon Hunter or Backstab are they good? I don't have any gameloft games..
Dungeon Hunter 2 is a very good Diablo clone, probably the best one on ios. It is still a little generic but for $1 you get a lot of value and hack/slash gameplay.

As for Backstab, reviews have been disappointing and people say it's a little repetitive with a lot of fetch quests. I skipped it, but I think it could be worth trying out for a $1.

Starfront's pretty cool, though. It's a really good Starcraft clone.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
Chounard said:
They had some memory problems on iPad 1. If you killed all the other apps (or rebooted) it played fine. I had the problem myself until I read that.

There's an update out that's supposed to fix all of that, though.
This is why I never got why people defended Apple's choice for 'skimping' on RAM, saying that so long as you can do what you want it to do, the amount of RAM is irrelevant - because in about a year's time, what you want to do changes, and it may not be able to do what you want it to do.

It's always nice to have a little breathing space, but obviously that's not what Apple want - they' always very much on the edge of optimization.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Dungeon Hunter 2 is a very good Diablo clone, probably the best one on ios. It is still a little generic but for $1 you get a lot of value and hack/slash gameplay.

As for Backstab, reviews have been disappointing and people say it's a little repetitive with a lot of fetch quests. I skipped it, but I think it could be worth trying out for a $1.

Starfront's pretty cool, though. It's a really good Starcraft clone.

bought dungeon hunter, its the same price as a pack of gum :)

sonikokaruto said:
has anyone here tried the minecraft clone?

If you mean junk jack i think it is more terraria clone but still a lot of fun. It has really polished graphics (crisp 2d) It needs some instruction at the beginning but with the guide posted you can be on your way. If you like terraria I would say it is worth the 2.99, but thats just my opinion.

Woops doublepost

arts&crafts said:
If you mean junk jack i think it is more terraria clone but still a lot of fun. It has really polished graphics (crisp 2d) It needs some instruction at the beginning but with the guide posted you can be on your way. If you like terraria I would say it is worth the 2.99, but thats just my opinion.

Woops doublepost

thank you, i don't mind the double post :)

i've never played terraria either, but the game intrigues me, and i'm not sure if i'm gonna like it or not. The only type of games i dislike/hate are tactical rpg's (way too slow, way too little time) and smashfests like the musou games.

so, you think i might enjoy it? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom