• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is there anything specific folks want to know about IB2? This beast is already 900 words long but I can address a few more things.

When you're very close to something it's hard to know what other people will want to know. I didn't address the new restorative magic (restore shield strength) for example.

Milla

Neo Member
Vik_Vaughn said:
I want to play a lot more of Slam Dunk King but my finger gets too sweaty after about a minute of play. I feel like I need to powder up my finger or the screen or something.

How hard are you pushing?

Is there a (official perhaps) way to backup the save of your games?
I searched and the only thing I found was iExplorer...but I need to be 100% sure that the process will work flawlessy, because I need space on my phone but I don't want to lose hours of gameplay XD

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Reese-015 said:
Actually, I read a recent interview with a cHair dude (can't remember where atm) and actually most of that seemed fixed yeah! You have different weapon styles where you can go for bigger and slower weapons (which is what you'd prefer I think) or you can go for something like dual wielding where it's even faster than IB and you can't block. The world is also much bigger and they added a lot of different paths + the environment evolves throughout the 'bloodlines', plants/trees grow over the years etc.
Do you walk through the world exploring it or still just get a static view with limited look around ability and just click to get to the next room?

Oh, someone mentioned Doom and while I doubt I'd enjoy a touch controlled FPS I just remembered that I really enjoyed Doom RPG on my old phone while it lasted but Doom RPG 2 would have probably run at like 1 frame per second on it. Is it a great(er) game, worth getting on iPad? Is there anything else similar to it?

Zeth

GDJustin said:
Is there anything specific folks want to know about IB2? This beast is already 900 words long but I can address a few more things.

When you're very close to something it's hard to know what other people will want to know. I didn't address the new restorative magic (restore shield strength) for example.
How have the leveling/upgrading dynamics changed? Multiplayer? Screenshots?

When Is the review going up?

Alextended said:
Do you walk through the world exploring it or still just get a static view with limited look around ability and just click to get to the next room?

Oh, someone mentioned Doom and while I doubt I'd enjoy a touch controlled FPS I just remembered that I really enjoyed Doom RPG on my old phone while it lasted but Doom RPG 2 would have probably run at like 1 frame per second on it. Is it a great(er) game, worth getting on iPad? Is there anything else similar to it?

It's not Doom 2 RPG, but I've been playing the hell out of Wolfenstein RPG. It's only 99 cents right now and actually looks pretty solid on the iPad. It's fun as hell too, definitely going to pick up Doom 2 RPG whenever it drops to 99 cents again.

Who's up for Ravenmark...only two days away!

LT0fk.jpg

M1hpa.jpg

Starbase Orion continues to rule my phone, but this should be a pleasant alternative!

flashburn2012 said:
I've been playing some of the "lite" version of Companions, and I have to say, I've been enjoying it a bit, but as soon as I got all four of the heroes to use at the same time, I kind of lost interest.

Are there any other games that play like that, but you only control a single character? Prefer if it supports the iPad natively.

Can anyone recommend something like this?

Keasar

Pylon_Trooper said:
Who's up for Ravenmark...only two days away!

http://i.imgur.com/LT0fk.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/M1hpa.jpg[IMG]

Starbase Orion continues to rule my phone, but this should be a pleasant alternative![/QUOTE]

Two days from now will be a bit occupied by some other fantasy title that everyone for some reason seem to be looking forward to, but this looks promising, will check it out once it is out and I got time.

Keasar said:
Two days from now will be a bit occupied by some other fantasy title that everyone for some reason seem to be looking forward to, but this looks promising, will check it out once it is out and I got time.

Yeah, it's a tough deployment schedule. 2.99USD can't be argued with if it lives up to the strategic depth the devs have promised. I love the art style.

Keasar said:

What's that?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
flashburn2012 said:
It's not Doom 2 RPG, but I've been playing the hell out of Wolfenstein RPG. It's only 99 cents right now and actually looks pretty solid on the iPad. It's fun as hell too, definitely going to pick up Doom 2 RPG whenever it drops to 99 cents again.
What's the difference from Wolfensten RPG International which is $1.99?

Tobor

Now that I have some recipes, Junk Jack is getting really good. I'm no using the wiki either, just building what I find.

Tobor said:
Now that I have some recipes, Junk Jack is getting really good. I'm no using the wiki either, just building what I find.

I dug down for about an hour today only to eventually get to rocks i couldnt break yet and find out that I am an hour deep in the ground with no way out. So I killed myself :(

Also has anyone opened any chests? I found blue, gold and silver ones but none would open with a stone hammer

RPS37

Just downloaded Forever Drive and played it for like 20 minutes straight. I recognize the name, but I didn't know that it was free or this decent.

Utako

Banned
GDJustin said:
I've played Infinity Blade 2. The first person outside of Chair to do so, if they are to be believed.

Hands-on impressions coming today.

Sneak peak? Think about what you liked LEAST about the original. Assume that whatever you're thinking about has been fixed.
It's the same mini-game 4000 times in a row.

Looking forward to the preview.

GDJustin

Traced-Velocity said:
Multiplayer on release?

I actually don't know :/ I can ask Chair, but it's something we didn't discuss when I saw the game. I was mainly focused on sussing out all the SP improvements.

Erudite

GDJustin said:
I actually don't know :/ I can ask Chair, but it's something we didn't discuss when I saw the game. I was mainly focused on sussing out all the SP improvements.
No worries, we'll find out soon enough I guess.

Nevertheless, glad to hear they've made the single player more substantial this time around.

GDJustin said:
IB2 hands-on preview is here, with some new screenshots:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/121/1211969p1.html

I'll answer Qs about the game here as best I can.

How about icloud saves?

1)I assume Infinity blade 2 will be huge filesize wise. Would love to free up space while still keeping my save data.

2) how do you defend against magic attacks? In IB, magic attacks always hit the enemy.

3) Have basic menus improved? IB's shop/inventory menus were really cumbersome to navigate, and it was pretty hard selling items as I recall.

4)Are gem items 'permanent' after equipping onto an item? Can you level them FF7 style or are they just simple enchantments?

5) Are the 'fill the bars' systems the same? ie: level up character, level up gear.

GDJustin said:
IB2 hands-on preview is here, with some new screenshots:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/121/1211969p1.html

I'll answer Qs about the game here as best I can.
Great preview. Thanks.

I just have one question. The game's a must-buy but will it be exclusive to iPad 2/iPhone 4S or will it be compatible with older devices?

I think this question was asked and answered before but I don't know if anything was confirmed.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Great preview. Thanks.

I just have one question. The game's a must-buy but will it be exclusive to iPad 2/iPhone 4S or will it be compatible with older devices?

I think this question was asked and answered before but I don't know if anything was confirmed.

They said that if the device could run the first one, it can run this. They aren't promising all the bells and whistles though ;)

I recall IB running about ~20fps on my iphone 4, so I'd expect similar or worse performance for IB2.

GDJustin

chickdigger802 said:
How about icloud saves?

1)I assume Infinity blade 2 will be huge filesize wise. Would love to free up space while still keeping my save data.

2) how do you defend against magic attacks? In IB, magic attacks always hit the enemy.

3) Have basic menus improved? IB's shop/inventory menus were really cumbersome to navigate, and it was pretty hard selling items as I recall.

4)Are gem items 'permanent' after equipping onto an item? Can you level them FF7 style or are they just simple enchantments?

5) Are the 'fill the bars' systems the same? ie: level up character, level up gear.

Dunno the filesize but yeah... I would be shocked if it wasn't a good bit bigger than IB1, if only because of the voice acting.

Magic attacks are dodged, like all other attacks. The enemies tend to "jump back" and then "wind up" their magic, so it's fairly predictable.

Menus are GREATLY improved... I meant to bring that up in this peview but it was already 950 words. It follows a system similar to Sony's cross-media bar. Left.right switches between equipment slot (helmet, shield, weapon, etc.) and then up/down switches between individual pieces of equipment. It's still impossible to just see the items your character currently has equipped and nothing else, though.

Gems are static. They don't level-up like Materia. I didn't check to see if the gem is destroyed if you resocket, or if you can swap them in and out freely. They must be the right shape... circle gem in a circle slot, etc.

Yes, the item leveling / character leveling system is the same. Your character has the exact same base stats (defense, attack, magic, etc) as IB1.

Edit: Yes cloud saves, TV out & other iOS5 features are supported.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Great preview. Thanks.

The game will run on older devices, but I've only played it on a 4S and an iPad 2, so I don't know about performance. I know Chair plans to turn off some of the more processor-intensive graphics effects for gamers playing on older devices.

GDJustin said:
Dunno the filesize but yeah... I would be shocked if it wasn't a good bit bigger than IB1, if only because of the voice acting.

Magic attacks are dodged, like all other attacks. The enemies tend to "jump back" and then "wind up" their magic, so it's fairly predictable.

Menus are GREATLY improved... I meant to bring that up in this peview but it was already 950 words. It follows a system similar to Sony's cross-media bar. Left.right switches between equipment slot (helmet, shield, weapon, etc.) and then up/down switches between individual pieces of equipment. It's still impossible to just see the items your character currently has equipped and nothing else, though.

Gems are static. They don't level-up like Materia. I didn't check to see if the gem is destroyed if you resocket, or if you can swap them in and out freely. They must be the right shape... circle gem in a circle slot, etc.

Yes, the item leveling / character leveling system is the same. Your character has the exact same base stats (defense, attack, magic, etc) as IB1.

Edit: Yes cloud saves, TV out & other iOS5 features are supported.

The game will run on older devices, but I've only played it on a 4S and an iPad 2, so I don't know about performance. I know Chair plans to turn off some of the more processor-intensive graphics effects for gamers playing on older devices.

Thanks for the answers!

How did 4S hold up 'physically'? A5 chip in the glass body tends to heat up quite a bit more than 4 (imo) for graphic intensive games.

Can you counter/parry magic? Maybe even do some dbz magic clashing? ;)

GDJustin

The 4S didn't get any warmer than an iPhone 4 that I could tell.

Good question re: parrying magic. I don't think you can, because the enemies are out of range. But one of the three weapon classes, heavy weapons, don't dodge at all. They ONLY block. So I dunno how magic evasion is handled in that instance.

GDJustin said:
Well lucky for Junk Jack no review is imminent b/c IGN Wireless has not one, not two, but three exclusive reveals of very very big iOS games, this week. Starting Tuesday!
I have a feeling that today's reveal will be spectacular!

Chopper

Ninjagorilla said:
I have a feeling that today's reveal will be spectacular!
New Simogo title? Colour me intrigued. Loved Kosmo Spin. I'm one of those annoying dudes who couldn't quite get to grips with the Bumpy Road controls, but the art was beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom