• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

I've read the 3G actually lacks CPU instructions added to the 3GS and later, so yes stuff developed for the 3GS and later in mind simply can't work because the CPU literally can't interpret the program's commands. It's very easy to see support dropped for the 3G for the simple reason that they don't want to maintain compatibility with the older architecture.

Compiling for both architectures isn't a big deal though; unless you're actually coding in assemble I doubt there is really any case you'd have to adjust for it as a programmer. The game will just get a bit bigger and that's it. The much bigger issue is lack of GLES 2.0. Even if you don't want a lot of fancy shaders, GLES 1.1 and 2 are different enough to cause a fair amount of extra work to support both of them, and to future proof your code base you'd probably best use 2.0 even if you don't absolutely need it.

And of course the obvious reason is that it's too slow and it's one of the few devices you actually can cut support for. Apple don't really allow developers to filter which devices to release the game on. I think a lot of developers would gladly cut out iPad1 support as well, but that's not really possible as far as I know.

Just picked up the new iPad. The retina screen is undeniably swank. Anyone know of an up to date list of apps updated for new iPad retina support? Anyway, this is a huge upgrade from my iPad gen 1.

as I stated in the last page, Aquaria (think Metriod underwater). It got a price drop and retina update yesterday and the game is just stunning

heringer

Compiling for both architectures isn't a big deal though; unless you're actually coding in assemble I doubt there is really any case you'd have to adjust for it as a programmer. The game will just get a bit bigger and that's it. The much bigger issue is lack of GLES 2.0. Even if you don't want a lot of fancy shaders, GLES 1.1 and 2 are different enough to cause a fair amount of extra work to support both of them, and to future proof your code base you'd probably best use 2.0 even if you don't absolutely need it.

And of course the obvious reason is that it's too slow and it's one of the few devices you actually can cut support for. Apple don't really allow developers to filter which devices to release the game on. I think a lot of developers would gladly cut out iPad1 support as well, but that's not really possible as far as I know.

There are some iPad 2 exclusive games.

Does Incoboto get more interesting later on? Im finding it a little boring so far. just kinda jump around on pretty basic planets, and search for hidden buttons. Im not that far in, but something about it just isnt really grabbing me.

:(

GeekyDad

Anyone have a good trick for getting freemyapps to recognize you've downloaded a game?

I just want my 50 points for FairyTale City :/

Two tricks, actually:

1. Make sure you've actually run the app for at least 30 seconds.
2. Wait. It often will take a while for the credits to show up.

AEREC

Anyone have a good trick for getting freemyapps to recognize you've downloaded a game?

I just want my 50 points for FairyTale City :/

This happens every once in a while...once you are sure you have put in your 30 seconds you can still delete the app and your points will show up within the next 1/2 hour or so. Sometimes it's instant and sometimes it take a while... but I've never not received points for something.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well I got it for 20 bucks, and my old phone really was a piece of crap.

Was just trying Sonic CD and it runs well enough, I guess it's the more intensive 3d games that don't run well?

Well for 20 bucks you can't go wrong. Forget about intensive 2D games and most 3D ones and basically the "depeer" experiences, but you can have a nice taste of iOS "bubblegum" gaming and there's ton of fun in there as well, just embrace games which are more arcadey/score-based/built around one solid gameplay mechanic.

Try Game Dev Story, Canabalt, Sword and Poker 2 ("expensive" compared to the others but still one my top10 iOS games around), Hoggy, Spider: The Secret of Brice Manor, Cut the Rope, Flick Kick Football, Super Stickman Golf, BioLab Disaster, 100 Rogue, Urban Ninja, Mr. Ninja, I Must Run, Sushi Cat and Tiny Wings, for starters.
Those should all run pretty well and most of them have a Lite (ie demo) version to try, some of them are free iirc.
I don't remember if 3G is compatible with Game Center but if it is then start sending friend requests to gaffers, that'll add to the fun a lot (leaderboards), see the OP.

Neo Child

Banned
Burnout crash is really really fun well worth what I paid :)

Really fun pick u n play game, more fun than burnout 3 and 4 crash (paradises crash was awesome)

Um so yeh this message goes out to folk who haven't used the freemyapps yet, it's super easy and stuff. Anyway, I kinda want enough points for max Payne ... I really want it s if anyone could sign up to freemyapps I can get 200 points. :) in return can create account and sign up via your link so you get points.

http://m.freemyapps.com/share/url/5af39ef3 that's my sign up ref

edgefusion

I'm really tempted by Burnout Crash, it looks perfect for iOS but it's published by EA so I'm kind of expecting it to drop to 69p at some point in the not too distant future.

123rl

I played the first few levels of Crash and it's a perfect port.The iPad version isn't Retina but it scales very well. It looks great. Definitely worth purchasing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This may be a dumb place to ask this, but I have a spare iPad 2 that I'm gonna sell as soon as the iPad 3 is jailbroken. It's a 64 gb Verizon 3g. (I also have a spare ATT iPhone 4). If anyone wants to buy it, I wanna sell it.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of Cave games. Can't get enough of them! I tried some Gran Prix Story, but I'm not as drawn back to it as I was with Game Dev. I'm not touching Astro - looks WAY too involved.

What has everyone else been playing lately? I'm stuck in the hospital, and I've been playing more iPad crap than Vita and 3DS combined.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished Gunman Clive and....wow. Short, but one of the most polished experiences on the iOS I've had in a while. I need more content to pay for...

Glass Rebel

Played some Amoebattle earlier. Looks, feels and plays fantastic. I feel I'm gonna spend more time with it than Max Payne. Kudos to the GAFfer who worked on it, hope the game (and your future endeavors) do well for you.

This happens every once in a while...once you are sure you have put in your 30 seconds you can still delete the app and your points will show up within the next 1/2 hour or so. Sometimes it's instant and sometimes it take a while... but I've never not received points for something.

I tried, left the app and the web page open for at least an hour without a thing. Oh well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does Gunman Clive play better on iPhone or iPad?

edit: holy shit, this game is fantastic.

I played on both a little to get my preference...iPhone 4S and iPad 2 ran the same (in my opinion), but iPhone was significantly more playable based on the size of the devices. If the option is there, iPhone/iPod would be my vote.

This may be a dumb place to ask this, but I have a spare iPad 2 that I'm gonna sell as soon as the iPad 3 is jailbroken. It's a 64 gb Verizon 3g. (I also have a spare ATT iPhone 4). If anyone wants to buy it, I wanna sell it.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of Cave games. Can't get enough of them! I tried some Gran Prix Story, but I'm not as drawn back to it as I was with Game Dev. I'm not touching Astro - looks WAY too involved.

What has everyone else been playing lately? I'm stuck in the hospital, and I've been playing more iPad crap than Vita and 3DS combined.

There's a Buy/Sell/Trade thread in OT that you can take your iPad2 off to...I'd entertain an offer since I only have an iPad1 16gb, but the fact that it's 64gb and 3g means it's likely *way* out of my price range. I hope you have some luck getting some bites on it though!

Personally I started playing Nightfall after Astrolad recommended it, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it against AI, but it's still pretty difficult. Also playing Final Freeway 2R, pretty fun Outrun clone. :)

Cause it still aint cheap...the 8GB starts at $200 and will barely hold anything.

I would check craigslist. I got a used 32gb touch last year for 160. The back was scratched up, but screen was perfect. The guy's job got him an iphone, so he was just trying to dump his touch.

I felt so lucky.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I want to buy gunman clive so badly, but I've just been burned by so many iOS platformers. I usually play them for about a day then never have the drive to touch them again.

I really want a get-what-you-pay-for platformer on iOS. Something that costs a dollar and takes a half hour to fully complete. That's why I loved that blast ball game so much.

I'll never beat that jazz platformer I bought, or beat sneak whatever. They're too long.

Is infinity blade worth 260 points on freemyapps.com? Really low points for a $6 game but is it really as good as the reviews say? Gameplay wise? Or just eye candy?

Wanna save for Max Payne but only have 545 credits at the moment. :(

butzopower

proud of his butz
Finally gave in, and faced the final boss in Gunman Clive. Only complaint I had was what seemed to me like a logarithmic health bar. I could never tell how close I, or a boss, was to dying until very near the end.

Is infinity blade worth 260 points on freemyapps.com? Really low points for a $6 game but is it really as good as the reviews say? Gameplay wise? Or just eye candy?

Infinity Blade's pretty good. Its slashy and repetitive but that's its hooks - earning money+XP to beat the next thing. I quite enjoyed it; you're also coming in now; and the games been updated to include a lot more content since ver1. well worth the money.

Mrbob

Controls in Max Payne are shite. I'd save your credits for something else. Lots of different games available. If you like punch out, you should like Infinity Blade.

Shearie

Decide for me GAF: Aquaria or Infinity Blade II?

I'm a fan of the first IB and metroidvania games but I can only get one right now.

beril

I want to buy gunman clive so badly, but I've just been burned by so many iOS platformers. I usually play them for about a day then never have the drive to touch them again.

I really want a get-what-you-pay-for platformer on iOS. Something that costs a dollar and takes a half hour to fully complete. That's why I loved that blast ball game so much.

I'll never beat that jazz platformer I bought, or beat sneak whatever. They're too long.

Well you're in luck, a lot of people say Gunman Clive is too short, and if you are really good you can beat in in 20 minutes.

Not really sure what you're after, but one thing I believe I do differently than a lot of iOS platformers is how much effort I've put into in keeping it varied and fresh all the way through and not just throw a in a gazillion of levels with the same enemies and same tileset

Does Gunman Clive play better on iPhone or iPad?

edit: holy shit, this game is fantastic.

Depends on which version of the device, it runs pretty bad on ipad 1 and iphone 4 (still runs decently with the lower graphic settings though), but perfectly on ipad 2, iphone 4S and quite well on 3GS, though the style doesn't really work well in the lower resolution (plus I've screwed up a bit with the current version so I accidently set it to render at even lower res; but I've sent in a new update that's waiting for release). Playing on ipad helps to avoid blocking the view with your fingers, but I find it a bit heavy to hold

Just finished Gunman Clive and....wow. Short, but one of the most polished experiences on the iOS I've had in a while. I need more content to pay for...

Thanks for adding that part, most people just seem to want more stuff to be added for free. Not sure if either will happen anytime soon though. I desperately want to start a new project but still have a lot of things I have to fix with Clive first and I'm not being very productive right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom