• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

I agree with the consensus, way too early to tell yet.

For me, PS4 only just became worth buying (re. software) this past winter, in which I bought a PS4 in January, alongside a few games (and since then Sony are killing it with the releases each month).

Wii U never really took off for me at all, but I know Nintendo are capable of good stuff still, Xenoblade the GOAT.

EDarkness

Your intentions weren't bad, but this outcome was inevitable with the amount of hate the Switch is getting here. There's plenty of time to announce more games for this year.

I can't do anything about people who want to complain, but I am a little disappointed that companies have gone silent about games that have already been announced. Why go dark when they've already announced the damn game? It's frustrating. Why aren't new games that are coming later this year getting a release on the NS? Unless they're holding that version announcement for E3 (which wouldn't make any sense). Just look at Snake Pass. Most people totally ignored that game until it was announced for the NS, now there's stuff everywhere about and the devs did the right thing by continually talking about it and showing it off. Ended up purchasing the game and my wife has played more of it than I have. It's crazy, but that's what I expected when the NS was announced. We'd get more discussion about games coming up instead of radio silence. At least Nintendo is throwing out Splatoon 2 info on a regular basis and this is keeping that fanbase engaged. They don't have to wait until E3 for this.

If devs have announced a game, please talk about it so we can all get hyped for it. Announce the NS version now instead of holding off until some silly convention. Get people hyped.

Wasn't there a rumor that Injustice 2 may come out on the NS? I haven't seen anyone talking about that.

The general opinion of Nintendo diehards, you mean. How can they have been well received if they weren't good enough to sell WiiU consoles?
You're aware that quality and sales aren't the same thing, right? Also every game can only be reviewed by people who've played it. Should I also discount the new Zelda game because only a handful of Wii u users and switch early adopters played it instead of every gamer in the world?

PSFan

what is your favorite Mario Kart game? I have a hard time understanding how someone could think tracks like Shy Guy Falls, Mount Wario, Dolphin Shoals, Sunshine Airport, Cloudtop Cruise, Bowser's Castle, etc. were boring and uninspired. never mind the DLC tracks. strange.

and

whew, we are just going to have to agree to disagree there. DK64 is everything that was wrong with the 3D collect-a-thon formula.

I like Super, 64 and Wii the best. I actually spent a lot of time with MKWii trying to do the challenges and time trials to unlock everything. In MK8, even the tracks didn't feel all that special. The whole "upside down" mechanic just didn't click with me and I didn't feel like it was upside down at all.

And I didn't think anything was wrong with DK64. It's one of the most fun games I ever played and easily among my favorite games of all time. I love collect-a-thons, and DK64 had lots of that.

You're aware that quality and sales aren't the same thing, right? Also every game can only be reviewed by people who've played it. Should I also discount the new Zelda game because only a handful of Wii u users and switch early adopters played it instead of every gamer in the world?

I just discount reviews anyway. They are just opinions and mean nothing about how I'll like the game or movie being reviewed. Also, those critics can be paid off for positive reviews.

phanphare

Banned
I like Super, 64 and Wii the best. I actually spent a lot of time with MKWii trying to do the challenges and time trials to unlock everything. In MK8, even the tracks didn't feel all that special. The whole "upside down" mechanic just didn't click with me and I didn't feel like it was upside down at all.

And I didn't think anything was wrong with DK64. It's one of the most fun games I ever played and easily among my favorite games of all time. I love collect-a-thons, and DK64 had lots of that.

ok yeah we just have different tastes. I think Mario Kart Wii is probably the worst game in the series. Super is good. 64 was good at the time but I think the nostalgia runs deep with that one, it doesn't really hold up nowadays.

DK64, just gonna say I strongly disagree but I respect your opinion.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but we didn't see these kinds of threads with the 3DS though. And that thing didn't even launch with an eShop.

Because fewer people bought it and it sold like such shit that they had took drop the price $70 or $80 or whatever and offer early adopters a bunch of free e-shop games?

PS4 and X1 would be better comparisons, but people were happier there as they at least had superior versions of all the cross gen multiplats to enjoy on their shiny new machine.

But yeah, in general complaining about weak launch window libraries is pointless as that's always the case with a few rare exceptions like the Dreamcast that had a bunch of games as it had been out for nearly a year in Japan before launching in the west. You buy at launch you pay the most the console will ever cost for the fewest games in the library it will ever have. Just the way it is. Accept it or don't buy at launch. A lot of people would seemingly be happier doing the latter and not having buyer's remorse after beating the one or two launch window games that appealed to them.

LordKano

I can't do anything about people who want to complain, but I am a little disappointed that companies have gone silent about games that have already been announced. Why go dark when they've already announced the damn game? It's frustrating. Why aren't new games that are coming later this year getting a release on the NS? Unless they're holding that version announcement for E3 (which wouldn't make any sense). Just look at Snake Pass. Most people totally ignored that game until it was announced for the NS, now there's stuff everywhere about and the devs did the right thing by continually talking about it and showing it off. Ended up purchasing the game and my wife has played more of it than I have. It's crazy, but that's what I expected when the NS was announced. We'd get more discussion about games coming up instead of radio silence. At least Nintendo is throwing out Splatoon 2 info on a regular basis and this is keeping that fanbase engaged. They don't have to wait until E3 for this.

If devs have announced a game, please talk about it so we can all get hyped for it. Announce the NS version now instead of holding off until some silly convention. Get people hyped.

Wasn't there a rumor that Injustice 2 may come out on the NS? I haven't seen anyone talking about that.

Again, we're not even a month after the release. There is plenty of time before the first batch of third-party games will release. There may be NDA that keep them from talking until a Nintendo Direct / an event like E3. Also, since Switch dev kits were sent pretty late, maybe their Switch version is simply not ready to be shown yet.

All that can be said is, it's way too early to judge that.

burst

If it sells well then the games will come.

Nintendo held back a lot in the last few years. I imagine this will be their biggest e3 in awhile.

They have courted the indie scene and have the perfect console for those types of games.

They have hardware that is easy to develop for but has limitations, which means we won't see all third party games, even if it sells well.

i personally am impressed with the switch and am not too worried it's going to end up like the Wii U.

The jury is definitely still out. As my expectations for Switch were that it would still largely be carried by first-party software, I want to see if they can avoid the major first-party droughts that have plagued their last several platforms. I think at E3, we'll get a clearer picture of that. I know "wait til E3" has become something of a joke over the years, in this case it's actually the reasonable stance to take considering the system just launched a few weeks ago.

I do want to see what sort of emphasis there will be on 3DS exclusives, though. If E3 comes and goes and the upcoming Switch lineup still seems sparse, while Nintendo are still planning on releasing games only on 3DS, that would be a little bit concerning.

EDarkness

Again, we're not even a month after the release. There is plenty of time before the first batch of third-party games will release. There may be NDA that keep them from talking until a Nintendo Direct / an event like E3. Also, since Switch dev kits were sent pretty late, maybe their Switch version is simply not ready to be shown yet.

All that can be said is, it's way too early to judge that.

It didn't stop Sumo Digital from talking about their game. I haven't heard of an NDA, either. There should be nothing holding back Ubisoft from talking about Steep. They could do some Q&A about the game to get people hyped. If they were smart, they'd do what the Snake Pass guys have done. This silence isn't helping and the whole wait until E3 is silly. Not necessary at all.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Honestly, if all I get for my $300 is this Zelda and a new Fire Emblem, then i would consider it money well spent. Anything else is just a bonus.

Instro

Since we were on the subject of WiiU software just wanted to give my 2 cents on the problems I had...The problem to me was Nintendo software in the WiiU era, and in the Wii era to some degree, was the increasingly reductive game design. Throwback simplification is nice once in a while, but the entire WiiU generation was typified by games that either did not take their franchises in interesting new directions. Outside of Monolith, and until Zelda, it felt like Nintendo had become content with making too many classic style games, or games that didn't really push any boundaries. Very different from the Nintendo of the 64 and GameCube era. In essence WiiU software was good, but no true high points until Zelda imo. Their new approach with Zelda, and what they are doing with Mario, gives me hope that things are changing for the better now.

Also releasing a new IP like Splatoon, but hamstringing with low content and feature set is kind of problematic as well. Hopefully ARMS is better in that regard.

Hindl

It didn't stop Sumo Digital from talking about their game. I haven't heard of an NDA, either. There should be nothing holding back Ubisoft from talking about Steep. They could do some Q&A about the game to get people hyped. If they were smart, they'd do what the Snake Pass guys have done. This silence isn't helping and the whole wait until E3 is silly. Not necessary at all.

But large companies generally don't do that. Let's take Red Dead Redemption 2 for example. Since the announce trailer in October, we haven't really heard anything about it for any platforms. We just got an announcement of Destiny 2, we probably won't hear anything more about it till E3. Companies who do weekly developer updates are the exception, not the norm. And for smaller games, we went literal years without updates on games such as Rime and the Witness. I just don't know why you're expecting to suddenly get a constant stream of information on upcoming games when this has never been the norm in the industry.

phanphare

Banned
Since we were on the subject of WiiU software just wanted to give my 2 cents on the problems I had...The problem to me was Nintendo software in the WiiU era, and in the Wii era to some degree, was the increasingly reductive game design. Throwback simplification is nice once in a while, but the entire WiiU generation was typified by games that either did not take their franchises in interesting new directions. Outside of Monolith, and until Zelda, it felt like Nintendo had become content with making too many classic style games, or games that didn't really push any boundaries. Very different from the Nintendo of the 64 and GameCube era. In essence WiiU software was good, but no true high points until Zelda imo. Their new approach with Zelda, and what they are doing with Mario, gives me hope that things are changing for the better now.

Also releasing a new IP like Splatoon, but hamstringing with low content and feature set is kind of problematic as well. Hopefully ARMS is better in that regard.

Splatoon may have launched with a low amount of content but their content rollout strategy was great and since it's not launch anymore and all the new content was free I don't think you can make that claim anymore.

LordKano

Sumo's Digital game released in the first month of the console. Steep isn't. There isn't much in common between these two games.

The thing is, most Switch's third-party games will release this fall. That's why they aren't talking about them yet, it's still 6 to 9 months away. Snake Pass's marketing was well-made because they started talking about the Switch version of the game a month before the release.

I have to say that the doom and gloom in this thread (and this forum in general) is quite fascinating considering any new Switch stock gets literally sold out within minutes.

Honestly, its not bad. We got some new games announced in January, with loads more to come in June. It's no where near as bad as the situation MS/Xbox fans are facing - i've said it in other threads, but this is going to be the first time MS has gone this long in the Xbox's entire history without announcing a new game (no new announcement since June 2016). Those fans are 9, almost 10 months without any major software announcement for their platform.

Considering the next 9 months are technically the Switch's 'launch period', and the system already has major signs it came out earlier than it should've, but I think the software situation isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be.

EDarkness

But large companies generally don't do that. Let's take Red Dead Redemption 2 for example. Since the announce trailer in October, we haven't really heard anything about it for any platforms. We just got an announcement of Destiny 2, we probably won't hear anything more about it till E3. Companies who do weekly developer updates are the exception, not the norm. And for smaller games, we went literal years without updates on games such as Rime and the Witness. I just don't know why you're expecting to suddenly get a constant stream of information on upcoming games when this has never been the norm in the industry.

I know. I'm guilty of not saying much about my game, too. Though, trying to change that bit with weekly screenshots and the like. It helps keep fans engaged, but does take some work to do.

Still, there are a ton of games on that list that we don't know much about. Even tidbits here and there would be good to get the fans engaged. I'm sure Red Dead 2 info will be at E3, but I didn't see the point in announcing the game when they weren't going to talk about it at all. Why do that? I know, the norm for the industry.

I just don't see the point in being silent about games that have been announced. They told us the game is coming, but they don't want to talk about it. Even in my case, I don't talk about my game that often, but if someone asks me about it, I don't mind telling them about the game. What we get from most companies is "no comment", which totally sucks.

So if they're not going to announce new games, then let's talk about the ones we know about already. They're supposedly coming out this year, so they can still talk about even the basics of the game. In the case of Steep, the damn game is already out for the PS4 and XBO. So the game is totally known (for the most part). Why not build some hype for the game by talking about it? Maybe they're just sending the game to die....

Peltz

Pikmin 3 was definitely not reductive. Nor was Wonderful 101.

But yea, you have a point. Too many other games played it safe compared to previous generations when they pushed the envelope. Still, they were high quality experiences, even if they were a bit iterative. Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 4 Wii U, SM3D World, etc were all fun even if they did heavily resemble classic games.

Neoweee

This brings back memories of the Vita launch and everyone hyping E3 2012 as Vita's coming out party... and then Sony shows more of Wonderbook than Vita.

This is Nintendo's only really active system, though. What else would they announce? Animal Crossing iOS, a remake or port for 3DS, then a whole bunch of switch games.

Hindl

I know. I'm guilty of not saying much about my game, too. Though, trying to change that bit with weekly screenshots and the like. It helps keep fans engaged, but does take some work to do.

Still, there are a ton of games on that list that we don't know much about. Even tidbits here and there would be good to get the fans engaged. I'm sure Red Dead 2 info will be at E3, but I didn't see the point in announcing the game when they weren't going to talk about it at all. Why do that? I know, the norm for the industry.

I just don't see the point in being silent about games that have been announced. They told us the game is coming, but they don't want to talk about it. Even in my case, I don't talk about my game that often, but if someone asks me about it, I don't mind telling them about the game. What we get from most companies is "no comment", which totally sucks.

So if they're not going to announce new games, then let's talk about the ones we know about already. They're supposedly coming out this year, so they can still talk about even the basics of the game. In the case of Steep, the damn game is already out for the PS4 and XBO. So the game is totally known (for the most part). Why not build some hype for the game by talking about it? Maybe they're just sending the game to die....

Well that just seems more like a critique of the industry, not just Nintendo. And you say you're working on your own game. I dunno how big the project is, but once you get to the size where you aren't self-publishing, a lot of that is out of your control. Marketing teams have a meticulous schedule for up to a year before a game's launch that details exactly what information will be revealed at each date on their calendar, and they don't really deviate from that. That's just the way things have always been, they have a carefully curated marketing cycle, and there's plenty of time to hype it up. What good does hyping people up for a game do when the game is still 6-9 months away? Better to get going closer to launch so people are ready to buy it. If you need an example, look at the Switch itself. Before January we really had little idea what this thing was, and everyone was talking about how the turnaround from reveal to release was too small. Then the January event came and went and people kept talking about how Nintendo wasn't advertising it in the buildup to launch. Fast-forward to nearly a month after release and the thing is still relatively hard to find in the dead months of March.

As for Steep, Ubisoft sent that thing out to die on XB1 and PS4. No surprise they're doing the same for Switch, especially now that everyone knows exactly what's in that game.

NimbusD

This brings back memories of the Vita launch and everyone hyping E3 2012 as Vita's coming out party... and then Sony shows more of Wonderbook than Vita.

So you think nintendo is going into e3 to hype something other than the switch?

the switch is their new main console.

EDarkness

Well that just seems more like a critique of the industry, not just Nintendo. And you say you're working on your own game. I dunno how big the project is, but once you get to the size where you aren't self-publishing, a lot of that is out of your control. Marketing teams have a meticulous schedule for up to a year before a game's launch that details exactly what information will be revealed at each date on their calendar, and they don't really deviate from that. That's just the way things have always been, they have a carefully curated marketing cycle, and there's plenty of time to hype it up. What good does hyping people up for a game do when the game is still 6-9 months away? Better to get going closer to launch so people are ready to buy it. If you need an example, look at the Switch itself. Before January we really had little idea what this thing was, and everyone was talking about how the turnaround from reveal to release was too small. Then the January event came and went and people kept talking about how Nintendo wasn't advertising it in the buildup to launch. Fast-forward to nearly a month after release and the thing is still relatively hard to find in the dead months of March.

The thing is, Nintendo is going all out with Splatoon 2. I see new stuff about the game every few days and the game most likely isn't coming out until late July or August. I worked at a big game company at one point in time, so I understand what you're talking about. They do pimp games months and months early for games they're interested in showing off. You think that Destiny 2 isn't getting a lot of hype after the trailer today and into the next few months? Just saying that there are too many games on that list that we don't know anything about and no one is talking about. Not even basic information.

As for Steep, Ubisoft sent that thing out to die on XB1 and PS4. No surprise they're doing the same for Switch, especially now that everyone knows exactly what's in that game.

I heard that, but what would be the point of porting a game to the NS if they didn't want to bother with even promoting it? The whole situation around the game is baffling.

Lmao at people downplaying Nintendo's first party games.

Also you should know BOTW is the best rated game this generation.
This is true but it's also true that really good first party games didn't help the Wii U. For me the difference is marketing. Nintendo hasn't screwed that up yet and they really, really did horrible marketing of the Wii u. Time will tell if they can maintain momentum and keep up with demand.

Oersted

Not sure you're understanding the concept of the term potential. Zelda proves what Nintendo can do but not all Nintendo titles are Zeldas. It's not an insult to them at all, only proof of their potential levels of execution. Also calling it the best game of the generation is highly subjective.

Nintendo delivered. Not potentially, factually.

Looking at Metacritic, I would call it general consensus.

Where did I say any of those games in my post?

They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans

You summarized the entire upcoming and existing lineup as "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans".

Now you are trying to tell that "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans" does not include Splatoon, Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart?

So your "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans" summary was a failure? Or am I missing something?

How are you comparing Nintendo to Sony and the Vita? This isn't nowhere near the same. Nintendo supports their systems and the Switch is a handheld which will sell. They've combined departments to make more games for the Switch unlike the past where they had to support a handheld and console separately.

The Nintendo Switch is the future of Nintendo. The 3DS is dying. The Switch is where money needs to be made from in the bigger picture. It will be the main focus of E3.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm not a big fan of the series myself, but fucking lol at anyone trying to throw shade on Zelda's critical reception with words like, "subjective" or "to me".

It's Witcher 3 all over again.

Silvawuff

You summarized the entire upcoming and existing lineup as "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans".

Now you are trying to tell that "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans" does not include Splatoon, Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart?

So your "They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans" summary was a failure? Or am I missing something?

No, I'm totally standing behind what I said -- I'm curious why you picked those three games from what I said to tell me I'm out of touch. Yes, those are Nintendo exclusives, but how does saying that Nintendo has a lot of third-party software along with exclusive releases is "out of touch with the market?" The fact they can sell hardware with -one- big game release and a mere promise for more is a testament to my statement of fact. People didn't buy the Switch for just Zelda. They bought it for Mario, Metroid, and whatever other franchises are under their flag; otherwise what would be the point? A lot of the third-party offerings on the release slate are ports of games that have been out for years on other platforms.

It's old-school business practice that I think is more out-of-touch with the current gaming ecosystem than anything else.

Venom.

Wasn't it only last week that Reggie said something about Nintendo having a big E3?

I'm quite sure there will be some announcements of games for 2017 and beyond.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I personally feel like Nintendo could not announce a single other first party title this year (they will announce some new stuff no doubt) and be totally fine. However, the utter lack of support from traditional third parties (apart from Square Enix) thus far is troubling. Like for every title being announced with platforms (usually PS4/XB1/PC), I'm not seeing the Switch being announced for any of them. I realize it's early, but given Nintendo's history I'm assuming they aren't coming to Switch, that's just how 3rd party relations are outside of indies for Nintendo these days. Dragon Quest XI is being shown every week, but only the PS4 & 3DS versions are being shown. We haven't seen or heard ANYTHING about the Switch version, even to know for sure which of the two will it be based on.

Honestly I'd like to Switch get multiplatform games that release on the same day and have parity with the other platforms. So far we have Sonic Forces & potentially Dragon Quest XI in terms of same-day retail multiplatform titles. That's it lol. I admit if something like Destiny 2 gets announced also for Switch (which I doubt), I'd totally change my tune.

ViolentP

Delivered to who, the people that actually bought a Wii U? What about the millions that didn't? What good are metacritic scores if they cannot insure you from failure?

EDarkness

Sounds good to me! I mean, the occasional Japanese third party release would be great (like Monster Hunter), but otherwise, the above is all I need from the Switch.

A little off topic, but I want good 3rd party games with unique play styles. I always wanted to play Dead Space with IR aiming or something like that. If I can get those kinds of experiences, then I'll be a happy camper.

Oersted

No, I'm totally standing behind what I said -- I'm curious why you picked those three games from what I said to tell me I'm out of touch. Yes, those are Nintendo exclusives, but how does saying that Nintendo has a lot of third-party software along with exclusive releases is "out of touch with the market?" The fact they can sell hardware with -one- big game release and a mere promise for more is a testament to my statement of fact. People didn't buy the Switch for just Zelda. They bought it for Mario, Metroid, and whatever other franchises are under their flag; otherwise what would be the point? A lot of the third-party offerings on the release slate are ports of games that have been out for years on other platforms.

It's old-school business practice that I think is more out-of-touch with the current gaming ecosystem than anything else.

Your post was

I think Nintendo has always had a game drip feed going on. They have a lot of fluff games pockmarked with exclusive must-haves for fans, followed by a very long and slow decline to the next hardware system -- at least in my humble observations.

You take that risk when you buy a system at launch that it could fail or under-deliver, or just be that underdog hardware that becomes niche. I'm thinking Nintendo should have waited to launch until they had more eggs in the basket, both in game and hardware availability.

My reply was

If you misstake Splatoon 2, Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild as solely games for fans, you are quite out of touch with the market.

In other words, Nintendo games are not only musthaves for fans.

Delivered to who, the people that actually bought a Wii U? What about the millions that didn't? What good are metacritic scores if they cannot insure you from failure?

W.
H.
A.
T.

Harmen

2012-2017 is a normal console lifespan. They started a year before PS4 and ended about the same time as the PS4 Pro.

I disagree. The last generation was longer and the PS4pro is not a successor, hence the name PS4 pro. In comparison to it's direct competitors, the WiiU died an early death in my opinion. Furthermore, the support in the final year was lacking due to the obvious focus on Switch development of Nintendo and other developers focusing on Nintendo. I don't think many people, including Nintendo themselves, consider the WiiU to be a big success.

Sanke__

Yeah I'm cool with waiting for e3 but I'm also fine with the sparse release schedule we have as long as Mario actually comes out this year

I disagree. The last generation was longer and the PS4pro is not a successor, hence the name PS4 pro. In comparison to it's direct competitors, the WiiU died an early death in my opinion. Furthermore, the support in the final year was lacking due to the obvious focus on Switch development of Nintendo and other developers focusing on Nintendo. I don't think many people, including Nintendo themselves, consider the WiiU to be a big success.

Even with last gen being an 8 year cycle, not sure why but this generation is flying by really fast if it's going to last as long as the previous. Besides, I think we're getting to the point where graphics can only be "so good", just new set top consoles will not be as great as they used to be. Last Gen had games that looked just as good as current gen just with a lower resolution and reduced shaders. I think next gen will hit that peak if it's not this one. A lot of people are moving to PC for that reason. I mean, looking at something like the Master Chief Collection, Halo 4 looks just as good as a current gen game with that resolution bump.

Top Bottom