• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

Dee Dee

This is Nintendo's only really active system, though. What else would they announce? Animal Crossing iOS, a remake or port for 3DS, then a whole bunch of switch games.

Whaa, I nearly forgot about the Animal Crossing mobile game coming out soon!! Maybe I should save for a new phone instead of the Switch.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big portion of their E3 presence is dedicated to mobile. I'd be very surprised if there was nothing new announced for the Switch though. Did that ever happen before? Even if it's dumb stuff like Animal Crossing Board Game, there will be new Switch games announced at E3.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Whaa, I nearly forgot about the Animal Crossing mobile game coming out soon!! Maybe I should save for a new phone instead of the Switch.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big portion of their E3 presence is dedicated to mobile. I'd be very surprised if there was nothing new announced for the Switch though. Did that ever happen before? Even if it's dumb stuff like Animal Crossing Board Game, there will be new Switch games announced at E3.
They've always kept their mobile announcements separate from titles they announce at e3, they know the e3 audience is not the mobile gaming audience

Oersted

Nintendo has always had the potential of cooking up awesome stuff. But history shows that their first-party offerings aren't enough to stay a competitor.

Potential, lol. Zelda is one of the greatest games of all time and the best game of this generation.

You keep saying that Nintendo delivered. I'm asking you what exactly did they deliver? A bunch of games Nintendo fans love but for some reason didn't sell well?

I replied to the potential of cooking up awesome stuff. The general consensus is that Breath of the Wild is such a game.

I never replied to the sales part, but yes, Breath of the Wild and Nintendo Switch sell very well. And yes, Nintendo did make a game which did not sell well, namely

250px-AnimalCrossing_AmiiboF_boxart.png

I wouldn't call it particularly loved.

ViolentP

I replied to the potential of cooking up awesome stuff. The general consensus is that Breath of the Wild is such a game.

I never replied to the sales part, but yes, Breath of the Wild and Nintendo Switch sell very well. And yes, Nintendo did make a game which did not sell well, namely

250px-AnimalCrossing_AmiiboF_boxart.png

I wouldn't call it particularly loved.

I don't disagree with any of this. But I was confused when you disregarded the idea of potential based on the fact you believe Nintendo has already delivered but it seems you were speaking creatively. Even then, the potential for their remaining franchises to meet the standard set by BotW exists. But really, I think they should focus on getting that particular game in as many hands as possible.

Oersted

I don't disagree with any of this. But I was confused when you disregarded the idea of potential based on the fact you believe Nintendo has already delivered but it seems you were speaking creatively. Even then, the potential for their remaining franchises to meet the standard set by BotW exists. But really, I think they should focus on getting that particular game in as many hands as possible.

Nintendo making potentially more games as good as or better than the best game of the generation is not such a troubling thought to me.

I am disappointed that Destiny 2 want announced today for Switch. I knew it was a long shot. But I thought since the rumored development team is over 1000 employees, that maybe there was a Switch port.

If there is not significant this party E3 announcements, I would be worried in the short term. Significant world be a. Half dozen bigger games and another half dozen jrpg ports and other games.

As I speculated earlier, I have no inside knowledge, but I would assume Nintendo is aware of the need for a western third party first person shooter like COD. I'M sure we get one for Holiday 2017. I'm also sure Nintendo is working hard on getting sports games on the system.

But the game will be a slow burn. I would say if they get one AAA to B port a month, that is good.

EhoaVash

I am disappointed that Destiny 2 want announced today for Switch. I knew it was a long shot. But I thought since the rumored development team is over 1000 employees, that maybe there was a Switch port.

If there is not significant this party E3 announcements, I would be worried in the short term. Significant world be a. Half dozen bigger games and another half dozen jrpg ports and other games.

As I speculated earlier, I have no inside knowledge, but I would assume Nintendo is aware of the need for a western third party first person shooter like COD. I'M sure we get one for Holiday 2017. I'm also sure Nintendo is working hard on getting sports games on the system.

bro the most you should expect in terms of support on this system from 3rd party are support from Vita developers. sure switch is getting sports games but i bet you they're the ports of the ps3/360 version of said sport game, games like destiny 2 which have no 360/ps3 versions are no way going to be on the switch.

Hindl

Don't expect big AAA western games. I'd be surprised if sports games other than the Fifa they're putting out will be there too. Expect the Switch to be a Vita with good 1st party support, because that'll probably be all it is

There's no doubt the way you had plenty of amazing games but unfortunately the console itself didnt catch on. I do wonder though, what if breath of the wild was that Wii U's first game as opposed to the last game for the system. Would that game have given the Wii U sustainable momentum out of the gate? Or was the Wii U's marketing woes too much to overcome

bro the most you should expect in terms of support on this system from 3rd party are support from Vita developers. sure switch is getting sports games but i bet you they're the ports of the ps3/360 version of said sport game, games like destiny 2 which have no 360/ps3 versions are no way going to be on the switch.

An example, I firmly believe if the developer can get unreal engine 3 running on Switch, Rocket League will be on Switch.

I agree with you about Vita and Ps360 ports. I also think depending on the graphics, games like DQXI, Persona 5, Madden, Wwe, Digimon, could all be ported to Switch. It will of course have compromises.

E3 will be interesting. Nintendo has never had more riding on an E3 than this year. I personally expect a Pre E3 Nintendo Direct and a stage show.

It will be very telling this E3.

ViolentP

Nintendo making potentially more games as good as or better than the best game of the generation is not such a troubling thought to me.

But Nintendo already has you. You're not part of their business model as you are already sold. They need to fix the mistakes they made with the Gamecube and the Wii U and open themselves up to the market they are not affecting. This will result in a greater success for them as a company and us as consumers.

And crazy as it may sound to you but BotW is not game of the generation for a lot of people. Myself included. One, because it's not the game I've enjoyed the most thus far, but more importantly, because I understand that making a claim so early in the generation is frankly speaking, ignorant.

We can all sit here and laud everything Nintendo has done right. Personally I think they are masters of their trade. But being great at what you do isn't enough in an industry where you rely so much on the work of others.

I think this is an interesting time to make a thread like this given that we are ten weeks away from potentially Nintendo's biggest E3 in several years.

But the game will be a slow burn. I would say if they get one AAA to B port a month, that is good.

I honestly think that expecting AAA third party ports on Switch is looking at the platform the wrong way. If Nintendo wanted games like Destiny 2, they would have given us a more traditional console. As it stands, I don't think we're going to see any surprise third party announcements for this year.

If Switch can manage to outsell Wii-U within year one, I think we might see some third parties come back and see how they can handle the hardware. At most, I'd say we might see alternate experiences akin to the CoD and AC games we got on Vita.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Y'all always go on the complete opposite ends, 3DS devs don't suddenly stop existing

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly think that expecting AAA third party ports on Switch is looking at the platform the wrong way. If Nintendo wanted games like Destiny 2, they would have given us a more traditional console. As it stands, I don't think we're going to see any surprise third party announcements for this year.

If Switch can manage to outsell Wii-U within year one, I think we might see some third parties come back and see how they can handle the hardware. At most, I'd say we might see alternate experiences akin to the CoD and AC games we got on Vita.

Yep.

Third party support for Switch is going to be 3DS/Vita devs, indies and the few token sports games etc. they've gotten from EA, Ubi etc. on 3DS and Wii U.

The hardware can't handle most of the western AAAs and the market for those games is elsewhere. Even the Wii being a huge success didn't get very many, and the few that did didn't sell that well with only 1 CoD game, the RE4 port and a few others breaking a million in sales despite the huge base. Most people are buyign Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games, Japanese games and indies anymore, and buying the other platforms to play the best looking version of the big AAA multiplats online with their buddies.

antibolo

Banned
As much as I love Breath of the Wild (it's probably in my top 5 best games ever), Nintendo's last E3 was still a joke. They didn't even try, it was just "hey here's Zelda running on our dead console, hope you didn't want anything else, especially any info about NX".

By the way anyone remember how people started thinking that the magnet rune was a stealth reveal of the NX controller?? Good times.

jeremy1456

This brings back memories of the Vita launch and everyone hyping E3 2012 as Vita's coming out party... and then Sony shows more of Wonderbook than Vita.

That's Sony.

After the PSP launched, and even when it was doing well Sony barely ever dedicated any E3 time to it post launch.

I think the year they announced the PS3 they didn't even mention the PSP. If they did then it had something like 5% of their stage presence.

Nintendo operates completely differently. They have always done a commendable job supporting all their hardware at E3. Except last year, but the Wii U was pretty much dead anyway.

Neoweee

Correct, and they still had a terrible E3, because they came to E3 with one game.

And ironically, they had one of their most successful years since the launch of the Wii over a decade earlier, based on unexpectedly strong 3DS sales, a massive mobile hit, and what looks like a GOTY release and their most succesful system launch... ever? Or just since the Wii?

But the thing is, every year is potentially Nintendo's biggest E3, well except for last year.

Well the Switch just came out a month ago, and Mario Odyssey is already announced. And Nintendo always, *always* announces games at E3 and releases some of them the same year. So like I said before, this is potentially one of their biggest E3s in years.

Apath

PS4 had what?

Resogun
Killzone
Knack
Infamous Second Son?

XBox One had

Forza
???

I seriously can't remember what XB1 had first six months, but it wasn't much. Hell you could argue that PS4 didn't really have anything worthwhile until Bloodborne which came a full 2 years later.
Sony published 9 games in the first 6 months of the PS4's NA launch. Meanwhile, Sony has absolutely no issues getting third party publishers to bring titles to the PS4.

PS4 had a relatively weak library until about a year after launch, however the Switch has even less releases.

Of course, the value there is all in just how many of the games released actually interest you. For the PS4, there were maybe three games within the first 6 months that interested me. For the Switch, it's 1, but I'd take Zelda over any of those three PS4 games.

fireflame

There is no VC backward compatibility to redeem the switch sadly. I feel so far it is better to wait one year to judge the console.

Ōkami;233064738 said:
This has been said for Nintendo every E3 since 2011.

You say that as if you're not aware Switch just came out a month ago, we already know about Mario Odyssey, and Nintendo is certainly announcing more games at E3 that will surely come out this year. Let's not be coy and pretend like we don't know Nintendo is particularly well-positioned this year to capitalize on momentum and have an unusually good E3.

Sony published 9 games in the first 6 months of the PS4's NA launch. Meanwhile, Sony has absolutely no issues getting third party publishers to bring titles to the PS4.

PS4 had a relatively weak library until about a year after launch, however the Switch has even less releases.

Of course, the value there is all in just how many of the games released actually interest you. For the PS4, there were maybe three games within the first 6 months that interested me. For the Switch, it's 1, but I'd take Zelda over any of those three PS4 games.

I got a ps4 at launch and it was a barren wasteland for me for quite a while. i think it's still too early to say if the switch will do well or not, but i'll agree that 3rd party support is necessary for it to succeed.

Correct, and they still had a terrible E3, because they came to E3 with one game.

If you're not interested in Zelda, then what you're saying is fine and makes perfect sense.

But otherwise, this is bullshit. Zelda was by far the most talked about game and, thus, Nintendo did not have a terrible E3. Doesn't matter if it was one game or not.

Ōkami

And ironically, they had one of their most successful years since the launch of the Wii over a decade earlier, based on unexpectedly strong 3DS sales, a massive mobile hit, and what looks like a GOTY release and their most succesful system launch... ever? Or just since the Wii?
2016 was actually one of the worst ever years for Nintendo.
You say that as if you're not aware Switch just came out a month ago, we already know about Mario Odyssey, and Nintendo is certainly announcing more games at E3 that will surely come out this year. Let's not be coy and pretend like we don't know Nintendo is particularly well-positioned this year to capitalize on momentum and have an unusually good E3.
We said the same thing in 2013 after their damaga control direct in January, Xenoblade, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda all would be at E3 as well as plenty of new titles.

Not saying that this E3 won't be good for Nintendo but we shouldn't be jumping the gun.

Waji

I agree with you about Vita and Ps360 ports. I also think depending on the graphics, games like DQXI, Persona 5, Madden, Wwe, Digimon, could all be ported to Switch. It will of course have compromises.
I can't speak for the others but Persona 5 clearly doesn't need compromises as it's a PS3 title. The PS4 version barely adds anything the Switch couldn't try to achieve.

And isn't Digimon a Vita title ? Which makes it even easier than Persona 5.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ōkami;233066456 said:
2016 was actually one of the worst ever years for Nintendo.
We said the same thing in 2013 after their damaga control direct in January, Xenoblade, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda all would be at E3 as well as plenty of new titles.

Not saying that this E3 won't be good for Nintendo but we shouldn't be jumping the gun.

Yeah I think a lot will depend on how much stock they can get out from E3 to the holidays.

If they'll have a ton, they need to show a lot of heavy hitters to keep demand up. If it's going to be tight all year, they can be more reserved as Splatoon, Mario, and the other announced stuff will keep it selling out so they can just show a few surprises/new things.

Asd202

An example, I firmly believe if the developer can get unreal engine 3 running on Switch, Rocket League will be on Switch.

E3 will be interesting. Nintendo has never had more riding on an E3 than this year. I personally expect a Pre E3 Nintendo Direct and a stage show.

It will be very telling this E3.

Don't expect a lot for Switch from 3rd parties at E3. E3 is the AAA show were most of the project getting announced were planned years in advance with different hardware in mind.

A better view of 3rd party support will be at TGS from Japanese developers which will be the vast majority of 3rd parties supporting the Switch.

This is a little tangential to the topic but I don't know where else to ask...

Do we have any indication as to when Rayman Legends is slated to release on Switch?

PSFan

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

Such a horrible E3 for Nintendo. They really blew it.

Reminds me of all the excited people at the E3 where the 3DS was revealed. People acted like that too and it made Nintendo think they could launch it at $250 lol.

Zelda is probably my favorite Nintendo series but I would never act like that to play a new game in the series, I've always been able to just wait until it's released.

Oersted

But Nintendo already has you. You're not part of their business model as you are already sold. They need to fix the mistakes they made with the Gamecube and the Wii U and open themselves up to the market they are not affecting. This will result in a greater success for them as a company and us as consumers.

And crazy as it may sound to you but BotW is not game of the generation for a lot of people. Myself included. One, because it's not the game I've enjoyed the most thus far, but more importantly, because I understand that making a claim so early in the generation is frankly speaking, ignorant.

"You're not part of their business model as you are already sold. " is one of the more nonsensical sentences I read in a while. And again, I spoke in terms of quality.

As crazy as it definetely sounds to you, Breath of the Wild is at 97 % at Metacritic and is a worldwide bestseller even in Japan, a previously contracting market, which in general was the most apathetic towards the Zelda franchise.

SteveWD40

I assume they will need to confirm exactly what the Skyrim port includes at E3 (I sense a sort of limited SE with maybe some limited mods).

That port gives me some hope for at least some ports of older titles that got last gen ports, such as MGS5, COD4 Remastered (prob can run on last gen) etc...

We shouldn't expect new AAA 3rd party's though, that much was obvious, look at the size of the thing!

Dremorak

Banned
I assume they will need to confirm exactly what the Skyrim port includes at E3 (I sense a sort of limited SE with maybe some limited mods).

That port gives me some hope for at least some ports of older titles that got last gen ports, such as MGS5, COD4 Remastered (prob can run on last gen) etc...

We shouldn't expect new AAA 3rd party's though, that much was obvious, look at the size of the thing!

If they really wanted to and were willing to make the sacrifices there are very few modern games that couldnt run on switch, even if it was at 480p handheld and 720p docked. Its just a matter of if its worth it in terms of development costs.

ViolentP

"You're not part of their business model as you are already sold. " is one of the more nonsensical sentences I read in a while. And again, I spoke in terms of quality.

As crazy as it definetely sounds to you, Breath of the Wild is at 97 % at Metacritic and is a worldwide bestseller even in Japan, a previously contracting market, which in general was the most apathetic towards the Zelda franchise.

Perhaps if you realized that Nintendo is a business before it is a content provider, it wouldn't be that confusing. Perhaps then you'd realize the only value metacritic ratings have are to increase sales. The sole purpose for Nintendo to exist. The best game in the world means jack shit if it doesn't move consoles.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

Such a horrible E3 for Nintendo. They really blew it.

I was in that crowd somewhere.

Best part about that gif is that even those people running to get in line had to wait two to three hours or so to play because there was such a long line of booth workers built up already by the time they opened the doors.

Top Bottom