• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 needs to transition to full RPG gameplay

notaskwid

giphy.gif

If anything it could have more open arenas with non lethal possibilities. I don't understand what a "full rpg" would accomplish here.

I did NOT say Open world.

NOT once!!!

Never said Ubi towers! Never said more crafting and collectibles!!

Don't assume things when you didn't read.

It's kind of hard for the two not to go hand in hand.
The reason so many rpgs and open world games share gameplay structure these days is because if you are being given the ability to really dictate your characters development arc, you need a variety of missions and types of gameplay to flesh that out. An rpg where you can level up your character and make development decisions, but ultimately just go through the same singular storyline as everyone else, is a bad rpg.

Lifeline

More games, and not just TLoU Part Two, need to tone down the killing and give us more options to proceed through an area without killing things. On second thought, maybe they need to get more vicious with the kills and allow us to kill everything.

Nah dude, The Last of Us is all about mudering the shit outta people. If anything it needs more killing.

Toxi

Banned
Roll a D20 to see if you shoot the Clicker in the face.

You rolled a 1. You shoot Ellie in the face instead.

The Last of Us has the potential to be amazing ,but being a strict gallery shooter/stealth game doesn't do its writers justice.

That's not all the game is. The exploration phases are crucial in setting the atmosphere and establishing connections between characters.

Also like ModestMouseTrap said the combat/stealth sections are a great representation of the constant dangers and violence in this world.

It only works because it's so simple in it's mechanics. Adding stuff that takes you of the atmosphere, breaks the pacing and just makes things more gamey is a terrible idea.

kirblar

OP, you've come up with a sequel idea that's even worse than Primal Rage 2's human avatars.

The ending to the first game works in large part because by the end of the game you have already killed a hell of a lot of people.

Tosyn_88

What you have to understand is that this isn't part of the narrative that they are trying to tell.

An open world rpg often involves quests and side quests which robs the characters of agency. If it's a game about a slow moving conflict then yes, if it's about discovery then yes but the narrative is rather complex and very heavy.

The only thing that can be added that wouldn't disrupt the narrative cohesion is to include a Stamina mechanic which may force the player to consider their situation with supplies and food. Here, they can include a risk reward system where you will have to go find food materials which can be a risk.

But to include a complete rpg system means that they have to spend hours adding mechanisms that takes advantage of that and it has to make narrative sense in connection with the main emotion of the game. Imagine Joel desperately trying to help Ellie deal with her emotions but he has a side quest to find spare parts for some random npc?

TB12

Banned
If it aint broke dont fix it!!!

just more like last of us 1 plz i mean awesome story and great gameplay plz...

HeelPower

How is the gameplay severely disconnected from the tone and story? Brutal murdering people is the way these interactions would go.

No it isn't.

I don't find it believable that people,20 years after the breakout, refuse to reason or do anything other than kill on sight.

The game doesn't doesn't believe it either, you have characters like Sam and Henry for a reason.

Even David and Marlene(the big baddies) don't aggress and engage you the moment they spot you.

But every other goon outside of cutscenes does.Huge disconnect between cutscenes and gameplay.

This is legit one of the worst gaming ideas I've ever heard. The gameplay of TLOU perfectly complements the story and characters.

haveheart

Banned
That's not all the game is. The exploration phases are crucial in setting the atmosphere and establishing connections between characters.

Also like ModestMouseTrap said the combat/stealth sections are a great representation of the constant dangers and violence in this world.

It only works because it's so simple in it's mechanics. Adding stuff that takes you of the atmosphere, breaks the pacing and just makes things more gamey is a terrible idea.

Yes! These were also the most fun segments in Uncharted 4. I'd really prefer less but (even) more tense enemy encounters.

And TLoU is all about the story and characters. RPGs are about creating your own story and characters. This is incomaptible.

Mechazawa

Just don't come and tell me TLoU revolutionized anything.

I never said open world or more crafting.

I said it needs to stop being a deeply emotional movie broken up by severely disconnected gameplay arenas that offer little in the way of interaction other than shooting faceless goons.

More ways to interact with the narrative ,more ways to be cohesive.

Another game that it did it better,that isn't an RPG : Silent Hill 2.

The failing point in this request is that you think the gameplay needs to make concessions to the series' narrative.

TLoU is a game that stands on it's own merits because the gameplay and enemy encounters stand on their own merits. That element of the games doesn't need to be kneecapped at the behest of the story just because you don't like the having a consistent stream of combat.

No it isn't.

I don't find it believable that people,20 years after the breakout, refuse to reason or do anything other than kill on sight.

The game doesn't doesn't believe it either, you have characters like Sam and Henry for a reason.

Even David and Marlene(the big baddies) don't aggress and engage you the moment they spot you.

But every other goon outside of cutscenes does.Huge disconnect between cutscenes and gameplay.
This is like saying most everyone else wouldn't be roaming band of cannibal killers in The Road because the father and son met some nice people, or any apocalyptic game/move/book/show with antagonistic gangs/bandits for that matter

EGM1966

Nope. Also the gameplay is perfectly aligned to convey the brutality of the world and make you implicit in the acts of violence it contains so I think your base arguement doesn't hold. There's no disconnect. If anything TLOU excels at meshing gameplay and themes.

It's at it's weakest trying to introduce the odd puzzle or raft section.

It's at it's strongest when focused on acts of desperate survival and the impact of violence of people.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
RPG elements are so blehhhh in shooters.
What made the last of us wonderful was how straight forward it was, there wasn't an ocean of mechanics it was just you, a broken bottle, 3 bullets, and an area to survive though.

I'd honestly say the crafting / upgrades could be ditched completely.

Terrible idea. Clearly the game isn't for you OP and thats OK. The game was successful because its gameplay and narrative elements worked effectively.

TLOU 2 should simply expand exploration, new stealth mechanics, larger combat spaces, and more crafting elements/options

MightyKAC

Its simply far from a convincing world.Its not inhabited,its not alive. There are two things in TLoU : Enemies and resources to take them down.Oh yeah there were planks and ladders.

This right here is where you lost me.

If you couldn't see a live and inhabited world in the dialogue between Ellie and Joel or the set pieces that constructed the post apocalyptic world and all the little details sprinkled throughout then that's on you.

As for the rest of your post it seems like you want the next TLoU to be a completely different type of experience then what ND is shooting for. Which I get, but simply isn't the kind of game they're trying to make.

StoveOven

Banned
No it isn't.

There are plenty of people in the original quarantine zone and Tommy's place that don't fight you. It just so happens that most of the game doesn't take place in areas like this, and these regular people have no need to leave these areas. The dangers of the outside world are not just shown through the goons and the infected but also through the notes and remnants of people who were out there and didn't make it.

Maybe a scene or two of somebody in the streets who isn't important or an optional conversation with someone in these areas could have been added. But these are small changes, not a transition to full RPG gameplay.

No it doesnt. I suppose you're one of those who think that open world is by default better than linear gameplay.

Im loving Horizon Zero Dawn as much as the next guy but I certainly dont want every game to be like this!

Ridill

I mean...no. The whole view of TLoU is using your surroundings and limited ammo to survive the game...(Only played Hard/Survival mode, so not sure about normal and below =P) Making it a progressive game where one gets stronger would kind of, sort of, diminish that.

What I would like for them to do, is add a bigger variety of melee items...and not necessarily in the way they go about in interacting with the enemy(although this would be ideal), but at the very least a variety of different skins for said bricks/pipes/bottles (If they want to be lazy).

OP, I don't buy your insistence that TLOU's story and gameplay are incongruous with one another. In fact, I think they reinforce each other quite well. You don't really provide any good argument of why you think the combat sections are out of place, especially when the game does a great job of contextualizing practically every combat encounter. Joel and Ellie aren't even hyper aggressive, if they could've gotten to the Fireflies without any fighting they would've preferred it that way, but they were preyed on by larger groups...which is exactly how an apocalyptic scenario would play out. Besides, there are plenty of segments of the game with very little combat.

With that said, making the game an RPG doesn't solve any of the issues you are suggesting the game has.

farisr

No thanks, Last Of Us 2 doesn't need to do anything, it could tell a continuation story with the exact same gameplay/narrative structure as 1 and it would be brilliant. All your suggestions make it sound like an inferior game frankly. There are things that can be improved that Naughty Dog has likely taken note of, but I can say with a 100% confidence that it won't be "transition to full RPG gameplay"

Top Bottom