• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Hobbun

I think I'm just going to put off the Cold Steel games until after 3rd.

I'm not really interested in Cold Steel as a standalone game at all, and Cold Steel 2 is the one that has more ties with 3rd. So going 3rd -> (CS since I need to play it ->) CS2 makes sense to me since it shouldn't be that far off ("Spring 2017").

Just saw this post now, is this true?

I was planning on going through FC and SC, then playing CS 1 & 2. And finally playing 3rd later on.

But is it better to wait until after playing the 3rd to start Cold Steel?

omgfloofy

Banned
Just saw this post now, is this true?

But is it better to wait until after playing the 3rd to start Cold Steel?

I think you can enjoy Cold Steel/CS2 on their own, but if you have the self control to play FC and SC, then wait for 3rd early next year first, some plot twists may actually have more impact for you.

Hobbun

I think you can enjoy Cold Steel/CS2 on their own, but if you have the self control to play FC and SC, then wait for 3rd early next year first, some plot twists may actually have more impact for you.

Well, I had already planned on waiting until I finished FC and SC before starting CS 1. But if playing the 3rd does have some impact as well, then I’ll just wait until after that.

From what I had heard before, playing FC and SC allowed you to appreciate references made in CS, but apparently this is the case for the 3rd, as well.

Thanks.

Edit: Another question, but is there a way I can play the 3rd on my PC in using a Sony controller?

Nevermind, found out how.

Psxphile

Been replaying SC to finish off the achievements (all chests opened and perfect BP left to do) and in the middle of Chapter 6. And I cannot BELIEVE that the weird freeze bug still persists when I'm
escaping the Glourious. Those electrified pistons are supposed to trigger when you get near them
but all it does is freeze my character in place. Lucky I saved right before going into that section.

But really, this glitch should have been quashed already. Even more amazing, I seem to be the only one afflicted by this since no one else has made one peep of it in this thread (I talked about this before, like over a year ago).

UberTag

But really, this glitch should have been quashed already. Even more amazing, I seem to be the only one afflicted by this since no one else has made one peep of it in this thread (I talked about this before, like over a year ago).
It's not just you. I had the same issue. And yeah, it's something that should have been fixed by now. But it is easy enough to work around it once you identify the problem and what triggers it.

Psxphile

It's not just you. I had the same issue. And yeah, it's something that should have been fixed by now. But it is easy enough to work around it once you identify the problem and what triggers it.

Still, it's a nasty surprise if it happens to you... so unless you're in a habit of saving constantly you could find yourself having to redo a very difficult battle (to get right), since it starts happening soon after.

Just thought I'd bring it up since I know there are a few people playing through the game now. All in all seems like a rare bug.

Hobbun

Still, it's a nasty surprise if it happens to you... so unless you're in a habit of saving constantly you could find yourself having to redo a very difficult battle (to get right), since it starts happening soon after.

Just thought I'd bring it up since I know there are a few people playing through the game now. All in all seems like a rare bug.

So, I'm not really sure how you avoid the bug? Even after reading the above post over. If you need to spoiler it, go ahead.

UberTag

So, I'm not really sure how you avoid the bug? Even after reading the above post over. If you need to spoiler it, go ahead.
There's not much to spoiler so long as you save frequently (and there are auto-saves in play for those of you who don't; one probably kicks in after the aforementioned battle).

If you freeze in Chapter 6 due to running into an electrified piston (and you can see them on the ground before you hit/trigger one) simply reload and avoid them going forward. They're intended as roadblocks to begin with so you're just being saved from losing health because of this bug.

Psxphile

^ yeah basically. Just save frequently and if it happens to you just reload your last save and move on. The in-game maps you'll find will show you where every one of those pistons are in the halls in the 2nd section after the boss fight, which are the ones that tend to trigger the glitch for me the most.

Hobbun

There's not much to spoiler so long as you save frequently (and there are auto-saves in play for those of you who don't; one probably kicks in after the aforementioned battle).

If you freeze in Chapter 6 due to running into an electrified piston (and you can see them on the ground before you hit/trigger one) simply reload and avoid them going forward. They're intended as roadblocks to begin with so you're just being saved from losing health because of this bug.

You make it sound like there are other instances, besides the pistons, where the game has a tendency to freeze. Is it that buggy?

I will be playing on my Vita, btw.

Psxphile

Wait, it makes it sound like there are other instances, besides the pistons, where the game has a tendency to freeze. Is it that buggy?

I will be playing on my Vita, btw.

Er, I think this only pertains to the PC/Steam version. I think you're good.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just started Chapter 3. That penguin battle in Limestone cave was some RNG bullshit. First battle I restart so far, and I restarted it 3 times;
- First time, I had cleared all the small penguins, and was finally tackling the big one, and keep in mind I used Kloe's 200 CP break so everyone was fully healed and buffed with defense... then it decides to teleport exactly to where the guest Jimmy is, does a critical hit, OHKOs him at full health. Fuuuuu
- Second time, all the small penguins spam their attacks on Jimmy before I can even play. Uhhh... yay.
- Third time, something similar but he survives, but then Estelle gets insta-confused at the start (no I hadn't equipped confuse-resist gear since I didn't know this boss had that), she attacks Jimmy, he dies. Welp

I finally got him but that was a real pain in the ass. I hate guest-protecting battles. :(

Another thing I am a little disappointed in; so far pretty much every location has been recycled from FC. Will I uh, ever move on to new places? That's kind of bullshit revisiting so many places...

aravuus

Another thing I am a little disappointed in; so far pretty much every location has been recycled from FC. Will I uh, ever move on to new places? That's kind of bullshit revisiting so many places...

There are obviously some new dungeons but other than that, not really as far as I can remember.

Gu4n

It's not bullshit. You got to visit the entire kingdom in FC, every nook and cranny out there. There simply isn't more in Liberl to be discovered. You'll be able to access rooms unavailable last time, like that door in the Grancel sewers, but that's pretty much it.

Apart from -- how do I put it -- SC wasn't the first game to be split on two UMD's for PSP for no reason.

Gu4n

Yeah I know, but in one huge game, you don't clear a map, and then proceed to re-explore the same maps in the second half of the game...
You're not a bracer-in-training who is just bantering around the world any more; you play as a senior bracer working as a bracer in the kingdom, going wherever bracer work dictates you to go. And if you're under the impression that nothing has changed between FC and SC, I would suggest talking to NPC's because it's not only Estelle's tale that's continuing.

omgfloofy

Banned
Yeah I know, but in one huge game, you don't clear a map, and then proceed to re-explore the same maps in the second half of the game...

To be fair, if this was a different, huge RPG, we'd probably have an entire map of Zemuria by now, too.

As much as I want it, I don't want it at the sacrifice of the story, which this series is so known for.

Kiseki throws a lot of things on its head. If you're not interested in an RPG that focuses more on story than anything else- and it doesn't make sense for you to go beyond Liberl or explore more than Liberl right now- then maybe this isn't the kind of game for you.

Part of the charm of SC is revisiting the same cities and locations as FC and seeing how the people are getting along. I particularly like the story of the fishing couple where, in FC, the wife got upset that her husband was neglecting her for fishing so she took it up herself and now, in SC, she's gotten the title of Master Fisher from the Fisherman's Guild before him and you see them both on vacation at the Valleria Lodge with him bemoaning how thoroughly she beats him at fishing skill. It's one neat, purely optional touch out of many.

omgfloofy

Banned
Part of the charm of SC is revisiting the same cities and locations as FC and seeing how the people are getting along.

This absolutely. This is definitely part of the charm of the game. You get to see how the daily lives of the NPC's go, and from that you get tons of little sub-stories all over the place.

If you didn't go back to places, you'd never get this as cleanly and we'll done, because it also helps display the passage of time, while telling multiple stories simultaneously.

Part of the charm of SC is revisiting the same cities and locations as FC and seeing how the people are getting along. I particularly like the story of the fishing couple where, in FC, the wife got upset that her husband was neglecting her for fishing so she took it up herself and now, in SC, she's gotten the title of Master Fisher from the Fisherman's Guild before him and you see them both on vacation at the Valleria Lodge with him bemoaning how thoroughly she beats him at fishing skill. It's one neat, purely optional touch out of many.

Though that's the type of thing that only works if you play these games back to back instead of when XSeed releases them. I replayed FC with the Steam release and still didn't remember the stories of all the NPCs by the time SC actually came out.

omgfloofy

Banned
Though that's the type of thing that only works if you play these games back to back instead of when XSeed releases them.

I'd think that depends on the player... I've played each of the games with Falcom's release cycle. Since I typically enjoy the NPC stories immensely, I usually remember the ones that stand out to me when I play the next game 1-2 years later. (Or in the case of Zero no Kiseki and now also Cold Steel III, three years later.)

Hell, it's always a huge (and pleasant) surprise when NPC's cross from one region to another. The merchant and his wife who were on a pilgrimage in FC showing up in Erebonia in Cold Steel, for example.

Just started Chapter 3. That penguin battle in Limestone cave was some RNG bullshit. First battle I restart so far, and I restarted it 3 times;
- First time, I had cleared all the small penguins, and was finally tackling the big one, and keep in mind I used Kloe's 200 CP break so everyone was fully healed and buffed with defense... then it decides to teleport exactly to where the guest Jimmy is, does a critical hit, OHKOs him at full health. Fuuuuu
- Second time, all the small penguins spam their attacks on Jimmy before I can even play. Uhhh... yay.
- Third time, something similar but he survives, but then Estelle gets insta-confused at the start (no I hadn't equipped confuse-resist gear since I didn't know this boss had that), she attacks Jimmy, he dies. Welp

I finally got him but that was a real pain in the ass. I hate guest-protecting battles. :(

It gets some new locations, but the establishment of the kingdom as a real place is a big goal (and one I felt they nailed hard enough to cover the over-all repetition the game can suffer from), so they reflect this, but YMMV. I feel they really went yard making these places living, changing locations so they didn't feel like "backtracking", and it does require this to pull off the versimilitude.

Estelle's about to hit full BEAST MODE soon, so hang in there.

strat spoiler:
keep that confuse resist

Psxphile

This seems like a Kiseki staple: the first game establishes the region, the second (and sometimes third) game revisits and expands.

At least you get to see a small part of Leman State.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I do enjoy the core gameplay, and the story and characters and world-building, and the OST and art direction too, so to say "this game isn't for you" is a bit short-sighted. I can be critical of one aspect while still liking the game, you know. :p I don't even mind revisiting some areas and sure it's neat to see how the life of NPCs has evolved, especially since at least it's been over a year since I played FC (so that helps keeping it a bit fresh, but it also makes me forget many of the NPC interactions, sometimes Estelle would go "hi __name__, been a while etc." and I was like "who was that again..."), but I'm still disappointed that it doesn't seem to take me to new places at all. I think only the geyser cave has been new so far? I wouldn't mind more places like that, they can still be in the same country/world but at least new locations/dungeons to explore. Even the party members are the same so far outside of very briefly playing with Anelace and Kevin, but I'm hoping this will at least change soon.

I do enjoy the core gameplay, and the story and characters and world-building, and the OST and art direction too, so to say "this game isn't for you" is a bit short-sighted. I can be critical of one aspect while still liking the game, you know. :p I don't even mind revisiting some areas and sure it's neat to see how the life of NPCs has evolved, especially since at least it's been over a year since I played FC (so that helps keeping it a bit fresh, but it also makes me forget many of the NPC interactions, sometimes Estelle would go "hi __name__, been a while etc." and I was like "who was that again..."), but I'm still disappointed that it doesn't seem to take me to new places at all. I think only the geyser cave has been new so far? I wouldn't mind more places like that, they can still be in the same country/world but at least new locations/dungeons to explore. Even the party members are the same so far outside of very briefly playing with Anelace and Kevin, but I'm hoping this will at least change soon.

There are new dungeons, at least, in every chapter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 4 is the only one I don't specifically remember having a new dungeon/area. But the later chapters have plenty of "new," at least.

DonMigs85

Just realized I missed some bonus BP waaah
I've lost the will to press on, but I can always do New Game Plus next time I guess...

zakujanai

Just realized I missed some bonus BP waaah
I've lost the will to press on, but I can always do New Game Plus next time I guess...

I feel this pain. First thing I missed was an entire quest so anything after that stung a little less. Something extra to enjoy on the second play through. Guess if it was just bonus bp that doesn't quite apply though so it's even worse for you.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Muntu made this guide for me, I now enjoy this game at a 11/10 level. Playing this game in Fast Forward is exponentially more enjoyable.

Basically you need to download CheatEngine (google it) and open/run the game first. Then open CE and follow these instructions.
muntu said:
click

omgfloofy

Banned
so to say "this game isn't for you" is a bit short-sighted. I can be critical of one aspect while still liking the game, you know. :p

I don't know. The way you made it out in your post came across with a 'this is the worst thing ever because I have to go everywhere else' - thus my assumption that the game isn't for you.

I'm not exactly upset, since I know there's a ludicrous amount of text in the game, but XSEED's proofreading sure got sloppy towards the end here. Most of the game has had admirably polished text, but suddenly in Chapter 8 I'm noticing a fair number of typos all over. There's also a somewhat annoying bug where after catching a Rainbow Trout the screen detailing what the fish spit up won't display properly. Again, hardly a dealbreaker of any kind, but it is unfortunate.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PC or PSP? They were pretty open about having to close the door on the PSP version because they simply had to stop working on it to release the game, they couldn't push deadlines back any further. PC continued to get worked on since they had a lot more freedom with that version, including patching various text issues after release.

If you are playing on PC it's probably worth reporting them. Basically all XSEED's games still get updates here and there fixing and tweaking various things.

PC or PSP? They were pretty open about having to close the door on the PSP version because they simply had to stop working on it to release the game, they couldn't push deadlines back any further. PC continued to get worked on since they had a lot more freedom with that version, including patching various text issues after release.

If you are playing on PC it's probably worth reporting them. Basically all XSEED's games still get updates here and there fixing and tweaking various things.

PC, the GOG version. I figured this was a long enough distance away from release that XSEED wouldn't want to bother with any more patches, but if you say so, I can at least report the Rainbow Trout issue.

aravuus

Speaking of text and letters, did the same people do both FC and SC's translations or do we know at all? I'm around a third into my SC replay and I feel like I've already seen a lot more clunky dialogue than I saw during my whole FC replay.

e: oh and Schera calling Estelle sweetie and honey to the point of it starting to feel condescending lol

she's not your sweetie goddamn it

she's a badass fucking fighter

yo

Speaking of text and letters, did the same people do both FC and SC's translations or do we know at all? I'm around a third into my SC replay and I feel like I've already seen a lot more clunky dialogue than I saw during my whole FC replay.

Different translators. SC was done by Carpe Fulgur (Robin Light-Williams).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of text and letters, did the same people do both FC and SC's translations or do we know at all? I'm around a third into my SC replay and I feel like I've already seen more clunky dialogue than I saw during my whole FC replay.

Mostly two different groups.

FC had a few different contracted translators and Jess Chavez/H.Protagonist edited nearly all of it in-house.

SC was entirely translated by Robin from Carpe Fulgur. Andrew/SpaceDrake did a large part of the editing (half or so?) before his personal issues prevented him from working on the game, and Jess was brought in to edit the rest with some assistance.

aravuus

Ah cool, I figured as much. Funny how you just kind of notice something like that despite both translations still being high quality stuff.

Erheller

I actually preferred the main scenario writing in SC to FC, although part of that might have been the HOLY SHIT I'M PLAYING SC factor.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Awww man, I just finished the Chapter 3 bosses... and the game locked up. :(

Maybe tomorrow night, I was having a good time. But man those were a lot of fights to replay, ugh. PC gaming, right folks?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Awww man, I just finished the Chapter 3 bosses... and the game locked up. :(

Maybe tomorrow night, I was having a good time. But man those were a lot of fights to replay, ugh. PC gaming, right folks?
Yikes, really bad timing. I had one crash myself but it was during a monster-slaying quest fight, not too bad.

Just finished Chapter 4. This game is sooooo long damn. Steam records 40 hours but I have about 36-37 in-game for some reason. Still, not even half-way and already this many hours? I know I'm slow but wow. o_O

LOL @ the drinking contest. Poor Olivier got rekt xD

aravuus

Yikes, really bad timing. I had one crash myself but it was during a monster-slaying quest fight, not too bad.

Just finished Chapter 4. This game is sooooo long damn. Steam records 40 hours but I have about 36-37 in-game for some reason. Still, not even half-way and already this many hours? I know I'm slow but wow. o_O

The game pauses when it's not in focus, so whenever you're looking at a different window for whatever reason, the Steam timer keeps on ticking but the in-game one is stopped. Probably because of that.

And yeah, it is fucking long lol. Hoping I'll be able to finish my SC replay before CS2 comes out.

Top Bottom