• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

demidar

Awww man, I just finished the Chapter 3 bosses... and the game locked up. :(

Maybe tomorrow night, I was having a good time. But man those were a lot of fights to replay, ugh. PC gaming, right folks?

That's weird, I thought the game rotates through like, 12 auto-save slots.

It does, but the Auto-Saves are on Page 0 with the save screen defaulting to Page 1. Someone who isn't paying attention may not realize that this is a feature the game has. I know it took me a few hours to find out about that back in FC and I know at least one person who didn't find out about them until around where Adam Prime is right now in fact.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That's weird, I thought the game rotates through like, 12 auto-save slots.

Yeah I LOVE the autosaving in this game! However, it doesn't autosave inbetween boss fights, especially when you have multiple in a row. It saves after a random encounter or when you enter in a new area.

So I have to replay the boss fights.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[Chapter 5 stuff]

I just want to say, it's kind of neat how that soldier on the
Arseille
salutes you as you walk in front of him. I don't think I ever noticed other royal soldiers doing the same before. It's just a trivial detail but I like it :)

Finally beat this. The ending was excellent, satisfying in many ways, especially for Estelle and Joshua's personal stories. I do have to say though...
Kevin?! What is with this series and people affecting fake personas? And he had two of them! A double gambit! That's not fair!
Guess I'll have to wait for 3rd now...

I also want to say in general that I really admire how this series can set up a seemingly innocuous plot element early on and then it suddenly comes into play long afterwards. It's my understanding that this keeps up over the course of the whole Trails series, which I look forward to seeing, but it's already apparent in these first two games. Even FC alone had it, most notably with "Alba", and SC continues it in varying degrees, such as with the Capuas who seemed like semi-goofy one-off villains when Estelle fought them in Bose in FC and became important party members by the end of SC. The very first bracer assignment in FC is to go into Rolent's tower to rescue two wandering boys, and of course it and the other towers take on a surprising plot importance in SC. When you see planning like that play out, it really helps give me faith in the storytelling since the world and character cohere together so well.

[Chapter 5 stuff]

I just want to say, it's kind of neat how that soldier on the
Arseille
salutes you as you walk in front of him. I don't think I ever noticed other royal soldiers doing the same before. It's just a trivial detail but I like it :)

more ch5 spoilers:

Was that with or without
Klaudia in the party? I need to test this.

Just beat SC tonight.

Fantastic story. Played cold steel first so at first it seemed a bit backwards with the grid, but if of hooked on the series.

~60 hour for FC and ~82 for SC.

Can't wait till cold steel 2, 1month!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished Chapter 3 tonight. It's taking me forever to play through this game, but I am enjoying it! Chapter 3 was a good one, and I hear it only gets better from there!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question. I'm in chapter 8, doing a side-quest, the
liberation of Jenis Academy

I need to make a party with
Anelace and Kurt
and I can equip them as I see fit. My question is,
will I get my equipment (armour, accessories, orbments) back after this mission? I'm assuming they are temporary party members and will leave after this, right? Is it safe to stack all the best gear on them and recover it for other characters after this mission?

Thanks.

Oh. Musta forgot that completely. I had some loooooooooooooooooong sessions on this game back last fall.
Well, I checked after that in a subsequent chapter and they do the salute no matter what. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question. I'm in chapter 8, doing a side-quest, the
liberation of Jenis Academy

I need to make a party with
Anelace and Kurt
and I can equip them as I see fit. My question is,
will I get my equipment (armour, accessories, orbments) back after this mission? I'm assuming they are temporary party members and will leave after this, right? Is it safe to stack all the best gear on them and recover it for other characters after this mission?

Thanks.

Well, I checked after that in a subsequent chapter and they do the salute no matter what. :)

I'm fairly certain that you not only get the equipment you give them back, but also the equipment they already had. As far as I remember that happened every time you were given a temporary party member with accessible equipment.

Edit: I'll unspoil that, it's more of a general gameplay thing and not specific to your situation.

Finally got a four of a kind tonight in Poker.

I think it only took me 4 hours or so, judging by game time. Going by the internet, I lucked out, relatively.

I'm fairly certain that
you not only get the equipment you give them back, but also the equipment they already had. As far as I remember that happened every time you were given a temporary party member with accessible equipment.

That is correct. The game is generous in that way; it doesn't let party members run off with all your best stuff unexpectedly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Awesome, thanks. I do remember being a bit miffed at some point where I lost some equipment temporarily (
Agate maybe? when he runs off and gets injured
), but yeah it was temporary and no big deal, I expected the game wouldn't be so mean, but just wanted to be sure. ^^

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Last dungeon question:

I just beat the first three enforcers, but each time I didn't have the, well, "appropriate" party member in my party, except Kloe during the Bleublanc fight (no Oliver; I kept Agate and Kloe, so no Olivier for Bleublanc, no Zane for the Direwolf, and no Schera for Luciola). I'm assuming the dialogue would change if they were there, but did I miss anything else other than different flavour text? Without spoiling too much, would it affect the ending or anything else beyond just that dialogue?

I kept save files before and after each of these fights so I can always reload, but I'd like to know if it's even worth it before restarting, heh.

Thanks.

Last dungeon question:

I just beat the first three enforcers, but each time I didn't have the, well, "appropriate" party member in my party, except Kloe during the Bleublanc fight (no Oliver; I kept Agate and Kloe, so no Olivier for Bleublanc, no Zane for the Direwolf, and no Schera for Luciola). I'm assuming the dialogue would change if they were there, but did I miss anything else other than different flavour text? Without spoiling too much, would it affect the ending or anything else beyond just that dialogue?

I kept save files before and after each of these fights so I can always reload, but I'd like to know if it's even worth it before restarting, heh.

Thanks.

It's not going to affect the ending, but it is really worthwhile.
Not so much Bleublanc, since his comments about Kloe and Olivier are throwaway. But for Walter and Luciola, having Zane and Schera in the party creates substantial scenes that give a cathartic resolution to their character arcs. I don't know how the scenes play out without them, since I made sure to have them for the boss fights, but I would recommend replaying the fights with the appropriate party member.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not going to affect the ending, but it is really worthwhile.
Not so much Bleublanc, since his comments about Kloe and Olivier are throwaway. But for Walter and Luciola, having Zane and Schera in the party creates substantial scenes that give a cathartic resolution to their character arcs. I don't know how the scenes play out without them, since I made sure to have them for the boss fights, but I would recommend replaying the fights with the appropriate party member.

Hmm, OK.
Without them, they just act disappointed, and then retreat, basically...

Should I bring Tita for Renne? I just defeated Renne without her and it seemed, I guess, "final" enough though she just retreated with her robot too.

I guess this game really hates characters dying, even villains huh? No one ever dies, they just fall unconscious or retreat over and over. :p

Edit: omg it's a pain in the ass to go back there since you unlock the shortcut AFTER beating the boss -_-
should I bring anyone in particular for renne and Loewe?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, OK.
Without them, they just act disappointed, and then retreat, basically...

Should I bring Tita for Renne? I just defeated Renne without her and it seemed, I guess, "final" enough though she just retreated with her robot too.

I guess this game really hates characters dying, even villains huh? No one ever dies, they just fall unconscious or retreat over and over. :p

I think Tita only has some throwaway lines. Most of Renne's stuff is with Estelle.

The next boss also has some dialogue for every character I think.

omgfloofy

Banned
Spoilers based on current train of discussion:

I don't think it's exactly a fear of death. I think it's more that if you don't kill characters left and right, it will give more impact to if/when death does happen.

Gu4n

I did. Walter fell unconscious, and Luciola seemingly suicided but it's strongly hinted that she actually survived the fall.

No recommendations for
Loewe
then?
Falcom is very ambiguous about the first one and neither are true nor false.

For the second, I wholeheartedly recommend to take Kevin.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Finally got a four of a kind tonight in Poker.

I think it only took me 4 hours or so, judging by game time. Going by the internet, I lucked out, relatively.

I went for that achievement a couple days ago while replaying SC, and got the four-of-a-kind within about 30 minutes. Couldn't believe how lucky I was.

zakujanai

For the second, I wholeheartedly recommend to take Kevin.

Sometimes my love of Olivier and
Mueller
really gets in the way, I kept both of them for every fight and missed out (knowingly for most, but not for the one requiring Kevin) that I was denying myself the true endings.

omgfloofy

Banned
Vague details re: taking Kevin to that fight-
As a note, the game will reward you with a hint towards Kevin's story if you take him to the fight. That's the reason why most people will recommend it. It's officially the first 'hook' for 3rd.

Also, Grail Sphere is godly- probably one of the best S-Crafts of the Sora trilogy.

Really? Ugh, I almost never used him and he's so far behind...

The good thing about XP scaling is that if you have him fight a couple battles in the final dungeon he'll be caught up to the others in no time.

Also, Grail Sphere is godly- probably one of the best S-Crafts of the Sora trilogy.

Indeed. No need to buff up defense when you can just stop the damage in the first place.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As a note, the game will reward you with a hint towards Kevin's story if you take him to the fight. That's the reason why most people will recommend it. It's officially the first 'hook' for 3rd.

I see. I guess I'll check if I feel like trudging back to switch or not.

The good thing about XP scaling is that if you have him fight a couple battles in the final dungeon he'll be caught up to the others in no time.
Yeah people say that but when I went back to pick Schera, she was a fewer levels behind than Kevin, and while she did gain levels quickly she still never fully caught up to the others even after doing all the battles on the way to the boss. So I don't quite agree with the "in no time" bit. :p

Speaking of
the hook to the 3rd chapter
, should I wait for 3rd chapter before starting Trails of Cold Steel? I have Cold Steel 1 for PS3 still unwrapped, and I was under the impression that playing TitS FC -> TitS SC -> Cold Steel -> Cold Steel 2 -> TitS 3rd was a fine order, but I guess I might as well double-check, especially now that 3rd has been confirmed for a localization...

Gu4n

Speaking of
the hook to the 3rd chapter
, should I wait for 3rd chapter before starting Trails of Cold Steel? I have Cold Steel 1 for PS3 still unwrapped, and I was under the impression that playing TitS FC -> TitS SC -> Cold Steel -> Cold Steel 2 -> TitS 3rd was a fine order, but I guess I might as well double-check, especially now that 3rd has been confirmed for a localization...
FC > SC > CS1 > CS2 > The 3rd > CS2 NG+ is a good way, FC > SC > CS1 > The 3rd > CS2 (NG+) a better way. I recommend to not bother with CS2 NG+ without having played The 3rd.

creid

FC > SC > CS1 > CS2 > The 3rd > CS2 NG+ is a good way, FC > SC > CS1 > The 3rd > CS2 (NG+) a better way. I recommend to not bother with CS2 NG+ without having played The 3rd.
If I haven't started CS1 yet, is The 3rd > CS1 > CS2 better than both of the above?

zakujanai

If I haven't started CS1 yet, is The 3rd > CS1 > CS2 better than both of the above?

Ideally that would always be the best, with the Crossbell games inbetween as well. Still a long time before 3rd though, can you really wait that long?? You're a stronger person than me if you can.

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how much time is remaining in the game. I am currently ~45 hours deep and in Chatper
7 at the 2nd tetracyclic tower. Last boss I beat was Bleublanc.

Cqef

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea on how much time is remaining in the game. I am currently ~45 hours deep and in Chatper
7 at the 2nd tetracyclic tower. Last boss I beat was Bleublanc.

You barely hit the 2/3rds mark imo. The (few) remaining chapters are quite long.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just beat the game!

Okay, that final boss rush took too long, don't feel like re-doing. What is there more with Kevin than what is shown with Weissman and turning him to salt if you take it to the fights? Should I just youtube it?

Gu4n

Just beat the game!

Okay, that final boss rush took too long, don't feel like re-doing. What is there more with Kevin than what is shown with Weissman and turning him to salt if you take it to the fights? Should I just youtube it?
Congratulations on finishing it!

Here's a transcription of that dialogue (SC endgame spoiler):

Loewe: And you... Hm...

Kevin: Uh? Somethin' on my face, chief?

Loewe: No. You're Kevin Graham, yes? Would you happen to know a woman named Rufina?

Kevin: ...Where did you get that name?

Loewe: So she WAS a Gralsritter. I thought so. I fought a bowgun-wielding churchwoman similar to yourself several years ago. That was one of the few other times I've been so thoroughly matched. Is she still well?

Kevin: ..No. Unfortunately, she died in an accident. Was about four years back.

Loewe: I see. I mourn the church's loss, then. She was a person of character.

Estelle: (Who are they talking about?

Is it 2017 already? No? *returns to hibernation mode*

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Congratulations on finishing it!

Here's a transcription of that dialogue (SC endgame spoiler):

Loewe: And you... Hm...

Kevin: Uh? Somethin' on my face, chief?

Loewe: No. You're Kevin Graham, yes? Would you happen to know a woman named Rufina?

Kevin: ...Where did you get that name?

Loewe: So she WAS a Gralsritter. I thought so. I fought a bowgun-wielding churchwoman similar to yourself several years ago. That was one of the few other times I've been so thoroughly matched. Is she still well?

Kevin: ..No. Unfortunately, she died in an accident. Was about four years back.

Loewe: I see. I mourn the church's loss, then. She was a person of character.

Estelle: (Who are they talking about?

Ah, thanks! That's interesting, but yeah not worth replaying just to see this.
Random prediction: I bet that woman is actually alive! Oh speaking of dying, finally someone died for real. xD Of course it had to be the coolest/most badass character... xD (I mean Loewe of course, not Weissman. That said, though Weissman is despicable and I'm glad he got what was coming to him, Kevin creeped me out with his "filthy heretic" fanaticism. I thought he was a cool guy, booo :(

Is it 2017 already? No? *returns to hibernation mode*
Haha. Sooo, I guess it's preferable to play 3rd before starting the Cold Steel series right? Might as well wait I guess, since we know it's coming.

Gu4n

Random prediction: I bet that woman is actually alive! Oh speaking of dying, finally someone died for real. xD Of course it had to be the coolest/most badass character... xD (I mean Loewe of course, not Weissman. That said, though Weissman is despicable and I'm glad he got what was coming to him, Kevin creeped me out with his "filthy heretic" fanaticism. I thought he was a cool guy, booo :(

Haha. Sooo, I guess it's preferable to play 3rd before starting the Cold Steel series right? Might as well wait I guess, since we know it's coming.
You should've heard that scene voiced. It even creeped out fellow voice actors at the time, according to omgfloofy.

The first Cold Steel is fairly isolated, so it wouldn't hurt to start on that one. It is beneficial to have played The 3rd before Cold Steel II, and a must for Cold Steel II's NG+.

That scene does change your perception of Kevin, but I don't know if I'd call that fanaticism. He's an agent of the church doing his job, after all. I need to see more about him in 3rd and such before I can feel comfortable making a judgement about his true personality.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That scene does change your perception of Kevin, but I don't know if I'd call that fanaticism. He's an agent of the church doing his job, after all. I need to see more about him in 3rd and such before I can feel comfortable making a judgement about his true personality.
Yeah I tried to tell myself that, but the "filthy heretic" bits really rubbed me the wrong way. Weissman is a piece of shit, but not because he abandoned the faith.

Llyranor

I bought the game on release, but FINALLY go around to starting it up this week. Just got to the part where I have to pick Schera/Agate.

I went for Agate, but story-wise is there one path that is significantly better than the other?

Top Bottom