• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Risette

A Good Citizen
is every region free game being their last region free game some sort of Cave in-joke like every ddp game since DOJ being the last one

ys45

I was wondering something , why does every Cave games are on Xbox 360 ?
I don't get it, the Xbox is doing poorly in Japan .

Why not PS3 ?

BOTEC

Why not PS3 ?

Ease and speed of programming. When you're making a game with a small team and a shoestring budget, you can't afford to spend even one extra week to get the game running properly on a PS3. The PS3 architecture was too foreign for a lot of programmers initially (and the tools Sony provided where awful), while the Xbox was essentially a Power PC.

I'm sure if CAVE were to make the decision today, they'd go with PS3 without a second thought.

meppi

Why not PS3 ?

Long story short. Microsoft seems to help them in some ways and gives them support when needed, while Sony doesn't give a shit.
From past interviews it even seems that Microsoft were the ones who convinced Cave to port this game to the 360, while if it were up to Cave themselves it might not even have happened.

Why not PS3 ?

Question has been answered probably a million times already but:

• Cave wasn't the first mover this generation, and other companies had already established a STG catalog on the 360 before Cave started looking at releasing for consoles again. Everyone interested in the genre already had a 360.
  • Most of Cave's releases are seemingly created with tools created for them by M2. They apparently don't have the expertise to program for any console.
  • STGs don't actually sell any better on the PS3. A few companies tried it (see Mamoru-kun, Under Defeat) and the releases failed to even chart high enough to track the sales for.

I'm sure if CAVE were to make the decision today, they'd go with PS3 without a second thought.

What makes you say that?

Risette

A Good Citizen

Why not PS3 ?
the people who buy these games will buy them regardless of what platform they're on and developing on 360 was a more appealing proposition for various reasons

BOTEC

Question has been answered probably a million times already but:

• Cave wasn't the first mover this generation, and other companies had already established a STG catalog on the 360 before Cave started looking at releasing for consoles again. Everyone interested in the genre already had a 360.
  • Most of Cave's releases are seemingly created with tools created for them by M2. They apparently don't have the expertise to program for any console.
  • STGs don't actually sell any better on the PS3. A few companies tried it (see Mamoru-kun, Under Defeat) and the releases failed to even chart high enough to track the sales for.

What makes you say that?

Sony has since fixed their developer support system and tools, and are actively courting small and indie developers. I'm sure if CAVE were "on the market" so to speak, Sony would be going after them in a big way. Just like Microsoft did back in the day.

This is kind of a lazy post, because with a little googling I could figure it out, but:

Is there a current list of region-free shooters in 360? Further, which region-free Cave game should I try first as a noob to the genre? I have Deathsmiles already. Preference given to games that don't cost $80 or whatever to import.

Is there a current list of region-free shooters in 360? Further, which region-free Cave game should I try first as a noob to the genre? I have Deathsmiles already. Preference given to games that don't cost $80 or whatever to import.

Mushihime Futari - http://www.play-asia.com/Mushihimes...m_Collection/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3yu5.html
GREAT game to start with and IMO one of the best in the genre.

ESP Galuda 2 is also region-free (and excellent) but it hasn't seen a re-release and thus costs a bundle.
Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets is region-free as well and has a budget release. Both games are different but good in their own right.
Though personally I'd rank them as such:
Pink Sweets Arrange >>>>>>> Muchi Muchi Pork >>>>> MMP Arrange >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pink Sweets

Gonna have to pass on Saidaioujou. I need a new job first.

Tain

While Mushihimesama Futari probably is the best game to suggest to all around new players, I gotta mention Muchi Muchi Pork. I like it more overall, I think, it's similarly cheap thanks to the budget release, and I don't think it's tough to get into at all. And you get Pink Sweets~

edit: whoa Saidaioujou is region free? cool

Mushihime Futari - http://www.play-asia.com/Mushihimes...m_Collection/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3yu5.html

ESP Galuda 2 is also region-free (and excellent) but it hasn't seen a re-release and thus costs a bundle.
Muchi Muchi Pork / Pink Sweets is region-free as well and has a budget release. Both games are different but good in their own right.
Pink Sweets Arrange >>>>>>> Muchi Muchi Pork >>>>> MMP Arrange >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pink Sweets

Cool thanks!

Muchi_Muchi_Pork_Pink_Sweets_Cave_the_Best_Version_272459.6.jpg

That is some interesting box art... "Cave The Best" LOL

Would you go with Mushihimesama Futari over MMP/PS? Or the latter since its two games for the same price?

Gonna have to pass on Saidaioujou. I need a new job first.
It's been re-released as part of the platinum collection and can be found for reasonable prices.

It's not in stock on PA, but you can still get it for $40 through Amazon marketplace(where I got my copy). It's probably a good idea to pick it up now if anyone's interested since who knows if it'll ever get another printing. I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: Beaten.

Tain

Would you go with Mushihimesama Futari over MMP/PS? Or the latter since its two games for the same price?

It's a pretty tough call. I'd say Mushihimesama Futari is a safer bet if only because it's closer to the "standard" Cave structure, does a better job of accommodating different skill levels (I'm not even talking about "Novice" mode or other 360 arrange modes, just the straight up Original/Maniac/Expert present in the core game), and has all of its sprites re-rendered in higher resolution.

Muchi Muchi Pork and especially Pink Sweets are less universally-liked.

Yes Boss!

I'd go for Mushi Futari just for sheer presentation factor whereas Pink/Pork is pretty rough around the edges...especially on an HDTV. Futari is a bang-up port done by M2. Cool, cool character in the Princess. Optional DLC Black Label.

LiK

i waited too long and the Saidaioujou Super LE is sold out on Nippon Yasan. Grabbed the normal LE. still dunno what's in the Super LE to make it worth that jump in price anyway.

Yes Boss!

Boss, good question.

Found a 5E superplay, but that seems to be it:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17285103

I watched the video. Unfortunately it is not a score run. But I did kinda forget about the laser ships and how powerfully they cut through enemies. A good way to clear the level when not concerned with score. Also, that Big Gun mid-boss at the end...did not know you could go on top of him to the left and right to send the bullets there. I had been swimming through them.

The only way I imagine the bigger scores is to suicide during the red turrets to re-power up your bomb quicker since it gives you a big chunk and faster refresh. Perhaps get a few more bomb attacks in in that crucial sequence. That and to kill enemies up close and get bigger stars. The latter I'm not really sure how the size affects your score (or even if it does at all). But I'm working on the lower level 5s to try to suss it out. Or, maybe, just maybe there is some way to keep your chain through one of the mid-bosses. If that was the case your score would be huge.

Also, on the first mid-boss I figured out that if you go up to the top left corner initially it trains his fast downward bullets towards there and giving you a breather below.

I think it might be time to list my new Cave top ten since it has been half a year and I've reassessed some of them.

i waited too long and the Saidaioujou Super LE is sold out on Nippon Yasan. Grabbed the normal LE. still dunno what's in the Super LE to make it worth that jump in price anyway.

Hopefully nothing TOO special. If it comes with some type of special arrange download I'm going to kill myself for not trying to get it.

Bebpo

Banned
Woah, cool! I haven't bought an X360 game in like 2 years after my J360 died and was down to just a US system. Will pick this up! Pretty cool I won't have to miss any Cave shmups this gen.

What are the chances Ketsui PS3 is going to be a good port? Wouldn't mind double dipping since I can't play my J360 copy anymore and it's one of my favorite shmups ever.

LiK

Hopefully nothing TOO special. If it comes with some type of special arrange download I'm going to kill myself for not trying to get it.

with shipping, the price would be an additional $100. i dunno what can be that special to make it worth that much. if it's a figure then i'll be sad.

Oops, I figured something was off.

So yeah definitely consider ESP Galuda 2 as well, just be aware the learning curve is rough. There are a ton of awesome extra modes though.

Cool, thanks all for the advice. Think I'll start with M Futari and follow it up with ESPGaluda 2 down the road (not too far though since someone mentioned it might get tough to find).

Hoping the exchange rate stays this decent or gets even better between now and when the game comes out so I can maybe justify a preorder.

Well, actually, till the end of July because the rerelease of the Naoe Kanetsugu from Alter is late July...

Yes Boss!

New year and with SDOJ arriving shortly I'm filled with excitement! I'm posting my favorite Cave games! What are yours?

I tend to like the easier and less complex titles. The Dodonpachi series is the one I probably have the most trouble with but hopefully with SDOJ coming out I'll finally find a title that works for me. That said Maximum is one of my top titles. I'd kill for a console port. Favorite tone and graphical style and art and overall feel belongs to the Ibara/Kuru/Sweets titles but I struggle at those...they are very hard. Spent most of the first few months of this year playing Ketsui trying to get better at it. Consequently it ranks pretty high for me now. I've currently shelved the 360 port as I'm waiting for the PS3 version (so I can use some of my Triple sticks with it!).

Favorite Cave games as of May 2013:

1) Mushihimesama (360)
2) Dodonpachi Maximum: MBS (iOS)
3) Ketsui X-Mode (360)
4) Espgaluda 2 (iOS)
5) Mushi Futari (360)
6) Espgaluda (PS2)
7) Espgaluda 2 Black Label (360)
8) Donpachi (PS1)

Honorable Mention

Ibara Kuru (PCB)

Games I'm playing now to learn about:

Dodonpachi (PS1)
Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou (PS2/360)

Games that just don't work for me at all, maybe one day:

Akai Katana (360)
Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu (360)

Games I've never played, though I watched Japanese players in the arcades there last summer.

Esp Ra.De.
Dangun Feveron

Purchasing goals for the near future:

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (360)
Espgaluda (PCB)

BOTEC

DoDonPachi > everything else

I fell hopelessly in love with that game back in the day, and it continues to be my favorite CAVE game to date. Though Mushihime Futari has become a strong second place contender since. Not so much Mushihime 1, feels kinda wierd.

As for stuff I want to get into: Akai Katana Shin

I've always gravitated towards the vertical shooter, and immediately dismissed all horizontal shooters. If I can hit the floor (or ceiling) and die, fuck your game. CAVE realized this folly early on with Deathsmiles, and got me on their side hardcore.

Elixir

is every region free game being their last region free game some sort of Cave in-joke like every ddp game since DOJ being the last one

DOJBLEX was not region-free. Their last region-free title was MMP/PS, which they said it would be. Mushihimesama was not.

There were rumours of Saidaioujou being localized but that doesn't appear to be happening any more. It may be region-free now, but don't expect a western version at the cost of.

DOJBLEX was not region-free. Their last region-free title was MMP/PS, which they said it would be. Mushihimesama was not.

There were rumours of Saidaioujou being localized but that doesn't appear to be happening any more. It may be region-free now, but don't expect a western version at the cost of.

You misunderstood the statement - "every DDP is the last" was a separate statement from "every region free title is the last".

gunstarhero

New year and with SDOJ arriving shortly I'm filled with excitement! I'm posting my favorite Cave games! What are yours?

I tend to like the easier and less complex titles. The Dodonpachi series is the one I probably have the most trouble with but hopefully with SDOJ coming out I'll finally find a title that works for me. That said Maximum is one of my top titles. I'd kill for a console port. Favorite tone and graphical style and art and overall feel belongs to the Ibara/Kuru/Sweets titles but I struggle at those...they are very hard. Spent most of the first few months of this year playing Ketsui trying to get better at it. Consequently it ranks pretty high for me now. I've currently shelved the 360 port as I'm waiting for the PS3 version (so I can use some of my Triple sticks with

I actually just put Ibara back in my cab last night to celebrate SDOJ's region freeness - and plan on going thru my entire Cave collection this month until it arrives. :)

Took a break from Cave shooters for a while and was playing the less-bullet-hell-types. It feels good to get back into Cave after a long hiatus! Really psyched for SDOJ!

1) Akai Katana Shin (360)
2) Mushi Futari (360)
3) Ibara (PCB)
4) ESP Ra.de (PCB)
5) Muchi Muchi Pork (360)
6) DDP Resurection (360)
7) Espgaluda 2 (360)
8) Mushihimesama (PCB)

Games I've never played (shamefully)
Ketsui
Dangun Feveron

Purchasing goals for the near future:
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (360)
Ketsui (PCB)

gunstarhero

Sort of OT, but does anyone know if the SLG 3000 will work with my x360 (outputting VGa to my Sony XBR LCD along side my Dreamcast)?

I'd don't see why it would not work, but wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Also, where the best place to buy one?

Yes Boss!

Sort of OT, but does anyone know if the SLG 3000 will work with my x360 (outputting VGa to my Sony XBR LCD along side my Dreamcast)?

I'd don't see why it would not work, but wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Also, where the best place to buy one?

Yeah, it works. As it is just a passthrough. I ordered mine directly from Arcade Forge. But just be aware the site there still charges you for VAT even if you are outside of EU. Not a big deal but does add 10 euro to the cost.

In addition to shooters it actually can help things like Garou look quite nice.

danmaku

What are the chances Ketsui PS3 is going to be a good port? Wouldn't mind double dipping since I can't play my J360 copy anymore and it's one of my favorite shmups ever.

The 360 port is excellent, the PS3 version seems like a 1:1 port so it should be good.

1) Dodonpachi Resurrection 1.5 (PCB)
2) Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (360)
3) Dodonpachi Maximum: MBS (iOS)
4) Pink Sweets Arrange (360)
5) Muchi Muchi Pork (360)
6) Espgaluda 2 Black Label (360)
7) Ketsui (360)

To me the above are the games/modes that, of all of CAVE's output, really stand the test of time. Genuine classics with robust, deep scoring systems. Fine wines that can be cellared for 20 years, re-opened, and enjoyed/respected as much as today.

Two games I wish I owned:

Akai Katana Limited Edition (PCB)
Ibara Kuro (PCB)

I just started playing Espgaluda II for the first time this week. Help. I suck at shooters and haven't played any in over a year.

So far I'm doing okay with stage 1. I've cleared it a few times without getting hit and can at least do it while only getting hit once. Stage 2 is a bit trickier but I feel like I can get a handle on that as well.

Stage 3 is rocking me, though. I can't even get to the mid-boss without getting hit. I really need to keep practicing when to transform(sorry, can't remember the name) to give myself the proper leeway. I figured I'd look up a video and am watching this one.

How is he moving so fast? I've been using Ageha and he seems like the fastest character(playing on 360 mode) but I definitely can't move that quickly. I'm playing on a 360 fightstick. Can the type of joystick actually affect speed like that? I'm so confused. I know it's a shitty stick but I didn't realize it could(?) cause an issue like that.

japtor

Games I've never played (shamefully)
Ketsui
Dangun Feveron
Heh that's an interesting pair cause I remember way way back I saw someone mentioning how Ketsui kind of felt like Dangun in terms of gameplay speed. Part of it being the ship speed itself, but also the scoring mechanics just sort of requiring you to go all over the place and play a bit suicidal (coincidentally I love both games).

A little PSA for anyone with one of the PGM boards (DOJ/BL, Galuda, Ketsui), if you haven't played in a while or had them in storage, check the battery to make sure it doesn't look like this:
Yeah that's my DOJ board, right when I was going to check it cause I'm thinking about selling it*. After some consulting on the Shmups forum I cleaned it up with some baking soda and just clipped the battery leads off (after sitting there with a soldering iron for a while and getting nowhere trying to desolder it). Apparently this is ok, it's basically just to hold system settings (and supposedly scores in some?), but I think on DOJ BL it's also a suicide battery so I'm not sure what to do there if the battery blew.

*This might change if I get the BL rom hack next week and end up liking the game more.
How is he moving so fast? I've been using Ageha and he seems like the fastest character(playing on 360 mode) but I definitely can't move that quickly. I'm playing on a 360 fightstick. Can the type of joystick actually affect speed like that? I'm so confused. I know it's a shitty stick but I didn't realize it could(?) cause an issue like that.
Are you holding down the shot button and using the laser? Cause that slows you down (in most of their games actually), like you can see the speed difference in that video when he's using shot vs laser. The slower movement is usually used for more precise movement through thicker patterns. The stick shouldn't affect movement to that extent unless it's something weird like the game and stick both supporting analog and screwing you up through that.

Hell with it. I was looking at amiami this morning and suddenly the regular edition preorders are sold out, but the regular edition with the amiami book card is not. Ordered it as $10 more doesn't really bug me.

As an aside, I love the translations of the tweet announcing the regionless:

Twitter translation uses Bing:
Xbox 360 mad Don bee maximum death can be playing in body foreign!

Google Translate:
DonPachi maximum death and anger The Xbox 360 ♪ that can have you playing in the main body of overseas

Top Bottom