• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

Really, that was a preorder bonus?

I don't really listen to game OSTs or watch videos of them so I'll never use them anyways. Cool to have though for the artwork and stuff.

I too have everything...but now I've got everything twice! Not getting mine till early next week since I tacked on a DS game since I was already paying for shipping. Will be looking for impressions here and shmups. Though that shmups thread is a bit of a disaster.

Kainazzo

I have the limited edition of SDOJ ordered on NCSX, but now that the super limited is back in stock, I'm tempted to upgrade. Since I've already paid, how do they handle pre-order changes? Looks like my only means is the general support email, and by the time it gets all sorted, it might be sold out again anyway. If it's a hassle, I guess I'll just keep the LE. I don't need the larger art book or arcade CD, but it's that mystery item that has me interested.

Also, I've seen a shot of the inside of the Shooting Collection box (this one), it looks like there's a gap on the right side. Might be too narrow for a DVD case, but I'm hoping I can cram in my steelbook for a truly 'complete' collection.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Now the preorder bonus of 10 soundtrack CDs (that's a pretty amazing preorder bonus) is no longer included. Yikes. Hope anyone that wanted that got their order in earlier.

I have all their games and all the accompanying DLC, so I couldn't bring myself to dish out the cash for this, but I'm looking forward to impressions from those who did take the plunge.
Shit, the soundtracks were a preorder bonus? Hrmph. I have a preorder at Nippan-Yasan, and had more bills than expected so I don't think I'll be able to pay it by next Wednesday, which is when it's due. Of course I get paid the following day. Curse you life.

Kainazzo

From what I've read, they did that so you could put SDOJ in the box once it is released. Though the SDOJ LE obviously wouldn't fit in there.

Really? A shame. I haven't owned a steelbook since Final Fantasy XII, but from my recollection it was actually thinner than a DVD case, so I was hoping it would fit.

If it's true, I might follow along with Boss and get the RE instead. Thanks you two!

edit: It looks like they should have the same dimensions (unless they're using a jumbo box?). At worst, it will be 1mm thicker, which hopefully means I can just cut the cardboard a bit on the left side.

hongcha

Just found a picture on the Cave blog of the complete package. Look at that huge case for the preorder-bonus soundtrack CDs! Looks like a PC-FX or Neo Geo game case.

stgcl_2.jpg

Yes Boss!

Damn. Big.

Kinda confirms the OSTs were a preorder bonus :-(

If it's true, I might follow along with Boss and get the RE instead. Thanks you two!

Oh, I'm still getting my vanilla LE...gotta get that for my LE Cave collection! I'm more than happy to get a regular as well to slot in the box. A bit pathetic, I know.

Kainazzo

A bit pathetic, I know.

Ha, the plain boxart is what's keeping me from changing to the RE. I like the color, so I'm prepared to butcher the CS to get it to fit if I have to. On that, I just went and locked in my SLE order. I figure if I've bought the SC and a J360 just for this, I may as well go for broke (in more ways than one >_>). I've got the regular LE lumped in with the SC, so I'm hoping they can partially refund the shipping and LE without messing up my SC order. We'll see!

I guess, at the very worst, I'll have 2 LEs. I'll put the other in a vault for 30 years and see if pulls a Stadium Events.
It won't :(

Thank you for ordering with AmiAmi.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we were unable to secure your
order, and will not be able to offer this item to you at this time.

1 x Xbox360 [w/AmiAmi Exclusive Bookstore Card] DoDonPachi Saidaioujo [Super Limited Edition]

Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

T_T

Kainazzo

Just got mine in today! I can take pictures of the insides if you want, but I imagine there's new photos up already.

Box was a little tough to open, but there's ample space inside for SDOJ. A DVD would fit comfortably, but you could probably add another 50% width and still get it to fit easily enough; there's a good amount of give. Unless it's a jumbo steelbook, there shouldn't be any problems.

Discs are really jammed in there, it almost felt like I was going to snap one of them just trying to get it out. There's a bit of a fragile feeling that the thick cardboard betrays; I feel like I'm going to have to take special care to keep this in good condition. Still though: color discs!

Edit: Ha, going through the superplay DVDs, and if you weren't aware of what the content was, I could see a few covers suggesting topics much more questionable.

BOTEC

Just got mine in today! I can take pictures of the insides if you want, but I imagine there's new photos up already.

Box was a little tough to open, but there's ample space inside for SDOJ. A DVD would fit comfortably, but you could probably add another 50% width and still get it to fit easily enough; there's a good amount of give. Unless it's a jumbo steelbook, there shouldn't be any problems.

Discs are really jammed in there, it almost felt like I was going to snap one of them just trying to get it out. There's a bit of a fragile feeling that the thick cardboard betrays; I feel like I'm going to have to take special care to keep this in good condition. Still though: color discs!

Edit: Ha, going through the superplay DVDs, and if you weren't aware of what the content was, I could see a few covers suggesting topics much more questionable.

pics?

Yes Boss!

Thanks Kainazzo.

Ordering a additional SE SDOJ for this set!

Mine wound up getting shipped to my cali address so I'll be picking it up when I head back for christmas.

Kainazzo

They're really not bad, it's just I don't own many anime DVDs, and none even this suggestive. From an outsider's perspective, I definitely know of a few people who would question the Deathsmiles and Black Label ones. Thankfully, they can all live obscured in the pretty box. On that, I measured the gap for SDOJ. It can easily be pushed to 230mm, but beyond that you're putting decent force on the box. Again, ought to be plenty of room.

Took a few photos, apologies for the scrappy cellphone pics, but hopefully it sufficiently shows off what's inside. No soundtrack preorder, that box should be coming in next week.

Manual appears to just be a combination of all the games', no special sections for the collection. Region appears to be the same; Espgaluda II was free, Akai Katana was not. I cannot read the Korean newspaper, but it was folded exceptionally well on top of the box packing.

BOTEC

They're really not bad, it's just I don't own many anime DVDs, and none even this suggestive. From an outsider's perspective, I definitely know of a few people who would question the Deathsmiles and Black Label ones. Thankfully, they can all live obscured in the pretty box. On that, I measured the gap for SDOJ. It can easily be pushed to 230mm, but beyond that you're putting decent force on the box. Again, ought to be plenty of room.

Took a few photos, apologies for the scrappy cellphone pics, but hopefully it sufficiently shows off what's inside. No soundtrack preorder, that box should be coming in next week.

Manual appears to just be a combination of all the games', no special sections for the collection. Region appears to be the same; Espgaluda II was free, Akai Katana was not. I cannot read the Korean newspaper, but it was folded exceptionally well on top of the box packing.

Looks hot, thanks for the pics. Dat color disc art.

hongcha

Interestingly, the superplay DVDs in the Cave Shooting Collection were not old, unsold stock as some speculated. Cave actually printed them all up just for this collection. Searching around the web, I found this comparison shot:

KFirPa0.jpg

The ones on the left are from the Cave collection, the ones on the right are the originals. Note the Cave collection ones have translucent cases while the originals have black cases. Also, there is no bar code on the Cave collection ones, instead you find "not for resale" in the bar code area. One other difference in the picture is the Espgaluda II DVD case size - the original one is an oversized case, while the Cave collection one is a normal sized case.

hongcha

Could still be old discs, just new cases.

Why would they take out discs from old, unsold stock, throw away the black DVD cases (for no reason!) and inserts, print up new DVD inserts, buy new translucent cases, and re-factory seal the whole thing? I've never heard of such a thing. It would also mean all of the superplay DVDs had exactly the same number of leftover stock, which is incredibly unlikely. DVDs are very cheap to make as well, so a whole new print run makes much more sense.

I'm a bit out of the loop. I see Saidaioujou is out next month in JP. Is that definitely region locked? Any word about a US release yet? I remember something about them looking for a publisher?

Anything else going on recently aside from the shooting collection and MMP/PS rerelease?

Yes Boss!

I'm a bit out of the loop. I see Saidaioujou is out next month in JP. Is that definitely region locked? Any word about a US release yet? I remember something about them looking for a publisher?

Anything else going on recently aside from the shooting collection and MMP/PS rerelease?

Still supposed to be region-locked but nobody will know till actual release day. The other Triangle Service game streeting the same day will be region-free, adding salt to the wound. No word on US release for SDOJ yet. Ship seems to have sailed...but I'll bet it gets released here eventually.

There was supposed to be a new Hori stick released the same day but that is MiA and won't be produced, it seems.

Still supposed to be region-locked but nobody will know till actual release day. The other Triangle Service game streeting the same day will be region-free, adding salt to the wound. No word on US release for SDOJ yet. Ship seems to have sailed...but I'll bet it gets released here eventually.

There was supposed to be a new Hori stick released the same day but that is MiA and won't be produced, it seems.

Thanks. I imagine it's not going to be region free, but we can all dream. It would probably push me to finally mod my arcade stick. Also, your avatar threw me off. I was like "Huh, that's kinda similar to...oh, it is you."

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Man, there was only one printing of the Cave collection? Sigh.

I contacted Nippon Yasan about my order, informed them I'd be paying a couple of days later, they said "no problem, just pay when you can." I paid when I said I would, the next night they cancelled my order and said "you waited too long to pay." I was like "well, I contacted you about this earlier to let you know that's when I'd be paying..." So he responds "oh well we're sold out now too bad!"

I was pretty bummed about it since I really wanted the soundtracks, but I figured I could just get a copy without them later... Fuck.

Kainazzo

Man, there was only one printing of the Cave collection? Sigh.

I contacted Nippon Yasan about my order, informed them I'd be paying a couple of days later, they said "no problem, just pay when you can." I paid when I said I would, the next night they cancelled my order and said "you waited too long to pay." I was like "well, I contacted you about this earlier to let you know that's when I'd be paying..." So he responds "oh well we're sold out now too bad!"

I was pretty bummed about it since I really wanted the soundtracks, but I figured I could just get a copy without them later... Fuck.

I guess it's really sold out everywhere now, huh? Quick stuff, I don't know how those hardcore collectors stay up to catch 1-time prints that sell out in 5 mins. I got lucky with this collection, can't imagine how they stay on top of it all.

eBay seems to have a few up. There's one without the OST box for $500; your best bet for one with the OST seems to be this

Then again, you could give it a few years and see what happens. Some rare stuff skyrockets, and some gets the price cut to nothing.

Yes Boss!

I guess it's really sold out everywhere now, huh? Quick stuff, I don't know how those hardcore collectors stay up to catch 1-time prints that sell out in 5 mins. I got lucky with this collection, can't imagine how they stay on top of it all.

eBay seems to have a few up. There's one without the OST box for $500; your best bet for one with the OST seems to be this

Then again, you could give it a few years and see what happens. Some rare stuff skyrockets, and some gets the price cut to nothing.

That set was up for months and months at amazon.com.jp. I ordered mine on my birthday last november 29th. Stateside, it was available for a few weeks at NCSX and play-asia even offered it for a good week or so.

Just prior to launch other options surfaced for folks in euroland and even Solaris listed it. If anything, it has been a struggle with tons of folks shitting on the set and portraying it as a poor value. Turns out many folks actually wanted it...rightfully so as it is a great value, nice collection, and great finish to an awesome run of Cave games on 360. Pretty much punctuates the 360 as one of the better shooter boxes of all time....and there are still three full-blown retail releases in the next two months. Getting close to fifty titles, with the bulk of the Cave catalog. Awesome stuff.

I'm just sad I don't get a new arcade stick for SDOJ.

Kainazzo

That set was up for months and months at amazon.com.jp. I ordered mine on my birthday last november 29th. Stateside, it was available for a few weeks at NCSX and play-asia even offered it for a good week or so.

Just prior to launch other options surfaced for folks in euroland and even Solaris listed it. If anything, it has been a struggle with tons of folks shitting on the set and portraying it as a poor value. Turns out many folks actually wanted it...rightfully so as it is a great value, nice collection, and great finish to an awesome run of Cave games on 360. Pretty much punctuates the 360 as one of the better shooter boxes of all time....and there are still three full-blown retail releases in the next two months. Getting close to fifty titles, with the bulk of the Cave catalog. Awesome stuff.

I'm just sad I don't get a new arcade stick for SDOJ.

Really, people were downplaying its value? Parts of the package do feel a little cheap, but it's definitely an awesome deal. Heck, you'd probably pay just as much for the separate OSTs as you would for the Collection. Are they somehow finding mint original, individual copies for $20 each? I'm curious of what they have to say; you've definitely got nothing to worry about (if you haven't gotten to see yours yet). I have a hard time getting a hold on why such a niche community would be negative of something so celebratory.

Also, it's true that it was up for months on Amazon, but I'm speaking as a new fan trying to get it stateside; someone who enjoys the games, but doesn't really get involved with the community enough to know the Collection exists. Like you said, Play-Asia only had it for a week. Imagine what I missed even last week!

Yes Boss!

Well, the only other source of fans currently is shmups forum and the set has been a complete mind-fuck for a bulk of those users. I tend to stay away from the site but I still use it for news. The Cave Shooting Box Collection thread there is just a disaster. Cave-STG is long gone, sadly.

Not really hard to understand the appeal of such a nice all-encompassing box. Even for folks, like me, who have all the Limited Editions of every 360 title there is something nice about having them collected, the DLC on an install disc, complete soundtracks, DVDs of playthroughs, cool artbooks, nice packaging.

SOME-MIST

the value is literally insane, though it's sort pointless to buy if you already own all the games.
that value also could be easily diminished if they choose to release a definitive collection down the road that includes all of those contents + SDOJ and any other titles - even next gen.

shortly.. I wouldn't be surprised to see some collections going for $1000 new.

jlevel13

i'm definitely curious to see if they'll end up porting all their games to next gen systems again. I don't know why they wouldn't...

Yes Boss!

the value is literally insane, though it's sort pointless to buy if you already own all the games.
that value also could be easily diminished if they choose to release a definitive collection down the road that includes all of those contents + SDOJ and any other titles - even next gen.

I'm just putting mine on the shelf with another boxed J-360 Slim and saving it for a rainy day 5-10-15 years from now. Just waiting to see if the next XBOX is backwards compatible to see if it is even necessary to get another J-360.

Elixir

All Cave Shooting Collection releases are identical to their original releases. The install disc is region locked.

SOME-MIST

i'm definitely curious to see if they'll end up porting all their games to next gen systems again. I don't know why they wouldn't...
bankruptcy - I hope.. and I know you all hope doesn't happen but is most definitely a real thing.

not tryin' to be the ultimate bummer here either >_>

Flock

Do any of you feel like you slept on the Cave Shooting Collection, and then once it came out and you saw the level of presentation, you had to have it it?

yeah, me currently. I couldn't see the value proposition at the time of pre-order but now I want it if only for the super-plays.

Seems like its pretty much sold out though and I wander how much value will rise in the aftermarket?

Top Bottom