• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Bootaaay said:
I ALWAYS get custom charges with PlayAsia, while YesAsia are freaking slow to deliver.

You can ask PA to mark your packages down. They'll only go to 50% of the value IIRC, so you may still be taxed, but it's worth it if the item isn't too expensive.

That said, I rarely use them these days, they're just far too slow when using the standard postage.

Tain

I got Deathsmiles IIX on Saturday.

What is with all the negativity? This (Arcade mode) seems much better than the original. Way smoother difficulty curve, more challenging all around, doofy-ass multi-directional bosses, and you know what? It looks pretty good, too.

Tain

Must be!

Which is strange to me, really, given how Cave has been getting more and more pre-rendered since, like, 2001.

hipgnosis

Preordered DFK Black Label from AmiAmi. 40 euros for that game is a pretty good deal!

Oh and Ketsui is super awesome, so glad I can finally play it! Still have my LE sealed, gathering dust in my shelf since I don't have a japanese Xbox.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Having not played it, I was almost surely convinced that negativity against Death Smiles II was because the game had polygonal graphics, even though, as pointed out, pre-rendered 2D isn't exactly easy on the eyes either. So I'm a little glad to hear that the game holds up as many a Cave game do and it's probably the mostly likely of the non-region-free games to get released here (as was hinted on Cave's Facebook page).

Princess Skittles said:
Having not played it, I was almost surely convinced that negativity against Death Smiles II was because the game had polygonal graphics, even though, as pointed out, pre-rendered 2D isn't exactly easy on the eyes either. So I'm a little glad to hear that the game holds up as many a Cave game do and it's probably the mostly likely of the non-region-free games to get released here (as was hinted on Cave's Facebook page).

No, I am on the negative side towards DS2 and that is nothing to do with the poligonal graphics.

It is an OK effort concerning the 3D graphics (nothing outsanding, but the girls models are good). My negative points:
- Lack of inspiration on the levels. Battling chess pieces for the whole levels did not appeal to me;
- Easy of the game in general.
- Bosses are mostly a re-use from DS1 using a different outfit.

I still prefer DS1. I am all in for a full 3D Cave game, but DS2 simple did not catch me.

hipgnosis

hikarutilmitt said:
Dammit, $120 for the LE... want, want so bad...

Did we get confirmation 100% that both versions are region free? I'd hate to get the LE and not be able to play it AT ALL.
Yes, Cave confirmed that both editions will be region free.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Oh I'm aware of the emulation/MAME, but I've never really looked into getting it set up etc. Despite the cost, I'd prefer to just have it on console :p
Most of my Mame usage comes from licensed/OOP games and in a number of ways it's superior to a lot of compilations that come out even today. It's pretty essential for any arcade game fan.

Take for example uh...just a few days ago an Irem Arcade Hits pack was released for the PC. 18 games for $10 is a good deal but the emulation isn't quite there, there are a number of issues that require correcting, and the options are really limited(no TATE). Worst of all a number of Irem arcade games actually have superior versions depending on their region(which I believe 100% of the time it's Japan). This means I'm using MAME if I want to play the best version of Undercover Cops. Sure I bought the set anyway because it's only $10 and gives me reason to try out a lot of Irem stuff I ignored but all the same.

And I know you said console but considering how long it took just to get a release like Irem Arcade Hits out there organizing the rights and the interest in seeing a console compilation like this will likely take forever. You may as well consider giving MAME a look since especially nowadays you can set it up in no time at all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Princess Skittles said:
Probably not, but it could be one of the games they hinted on their Facebook page they are in discussions with with overseas publishers.
That's basically what I hope. Titles they make Region Free are ones that aren't coming over, while ones they don't. Are.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
shintoki said:
That's basically what I hope. Titles they make Region Free are ones that aren't coming over, while ones they don't. Are.
That's how I read it too. :)

Whoever they were talking to wasn't interested in MMP/PS, so they opted to make it region-free.. and DDP is a much more recognizable name (at least in shmup circles) so you'd figure if they were going to make one region-free to get some international sales, that would be one for sure.

So yeah, over-analyzing and all that.. but Cave has been pretty friendly lately in this regard.

After playing some Espgaluda II at the arcade a few weeks ago, I couldn't resist getting a copy of the 360 version today. I also picked up Mushi Futari as an Xmas gift for a friend. Gotta give the gift of shmups.

hipgnosis

Here's the cover for the PAL Deathsmiles:

9BGgb.jpg

So it has the standard Japanese cover. Wasn't expecting 3 discs, seems like RSG is doing pretty good job with this release.

epmode

Deathsmiles 2 is pretty awesome, confirmed. That 360 mode looks great too, what with the full widescreen use.

I have no idea where the hate comes from.

Tain

Aigis said:
For anyone looking to emulate Cave's games, I recommend shmupmame so you can play them without any input lag caused by the emulator.

To specify: any input lag caused by the emulator being accurate to the hardware it is emulating.

I like that shmupmame exists; I like that it's an option. But it seems like a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about it. It's not "fixing" any problems with MAME. MAME is emulating the original hardware's sprite buffer and all the input lag that comes with it. shmupmame is trading away that accuracy and in turn making the games more responsive than the original PCB.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
_dementia said:
It probably won't be called DEATHSMILES NA, but yeah I don't think we know for sure
Well, the display titles can be different, but still link to the same game's achievement bank.

For example, Senko no Ronde (JP) and WarTech (US) are the same game when comparing achievements to other players.

Death Smiles (JP) and Death Smiles NA (US) are not.. mainly because they were probably forced to drop the game down to 1000/1000 since the DLC was included on disc.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was pretty pissed that it couldn't link up to the JP version of the game since I can't play the NA version at all. I had gotten the NA version to play with a friend online... so much for that. /:

_dementia said:
Whoa, how many 360s do you have?

Three :) One NTSC-U, one PAL and one NTSC-J. So I can play any 360 game in the market.

And the PAL release will get a separated set of achievements (and probably a different leaderboard). I won't share it with the NA release. It is already confirmed by the achievement sites around the net.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
InfiniteNine said:
I was pretty pissed that it couldn't link up to the JP version of the game since I can't play the NA version at all. I had gotten the NA version to play with a friend online... so much for that. /:
Ah, that is a big downside to it. It's a shame MS wouldn't let them (assumedly) release the game with the full 1500 achievement list.

But, I guess not paying $30 for DLC is better.

A large portion of my Xbox friend's list are Japanese players met over SnR. :)

Tain said:
To specify: any input lag caused by the emulator being accurate to the hardware it is emulating.

I like that shmupmame exists; I like that it's an option. But it seems like a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about it. It's not "fixing" any problems with MAME. MAME is emulating the original hardware's sprite buffer and all the input lag that comes with it. shmupmame is trading away that accuracy and in turn making the games more responsive than the original PCB.

Total bullshit , the lag from some games is horrible compared to the PCB and I have lots to compare :

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26394

Shmupmame is much closer on most games .

Yes Boss!

epmode said:
Deathsmiles 2 is pretty awesome, confirmed. That 360 mode looks great too, what with the full widescreen use.

I have no idea where the hate comes from.
Big thumbs up. The huge 16:9 image is gorgeous. Makes something like Otomedius look uninspired by comparison. Makes the game so much fun. A totally unique Cave experience unlike anything else. I'm on a 42" and it is just so cool.. The music and christmas theme are tons of fun.

Tain

CaseyTappy said:
Total bullshit , the lag from some games is horrible compared to the PCB and I have lots to compare :

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26394

Shmupmame is much closer on most games .

I've seen that thread.

Where are the high-speed PCB videos showing that MAME is inaccurate compared to this branch? What evidence do I have to believe your word (or nimitz) over the MAME developers?

I'm not just trying to be a dick, either. I really want to know if there are any tests anywhere!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Tain said:

That's true, generally, but more responsiveness is always better. It's not like using it is cheating either; for example I can change the frame delay in the Futari port from 2(PCB) to 0(Tearing) if I want to and still submit my score online.

Some messed up emulation code can also cause input lag that wasn't actually there, though. It happens in some MAME drivers and other emulators too. For example, the PS1 emulator that Sony uses on the PS3 causes two unintended frames of input lag.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I got some MS points for xmas and bought Futari BL with them. (and Afterburner Climax)

Just when I thought 1.5 was the best thing Cave's made; BL turns out to be an even better version of that. Original Mode is more fun, Maniac feels kinda samey but I think I need to spend more time with it, and God Mode is like a fun (or possible, lol) Ultra Mode. It's all good stuff. I think everything feels a bit easier to be honest, but it's for the better. One of my complaints with 1.5 is how long the bosses take to die. It's fixed in BL although I think they die a little bit too fast now. But I prefer it this way.

Now I just need to track down a 1.01 card and complete my Futari!

Oh and I played a bit Espgaluda on MAME. And I think I'm done with it. I think it's Cave's weakest title that I've played, even worse than Progear (which I've also been playing a bit and have come to like actually) - it's too easy (boring) except for that spike in difficulty at the last boss. And the music is horrendous; especially that boss track with the "OOH" and "YEAH!" repeating. Just ugh.

Bebpo

Banned
Aigis said:
Oh and I played a bit Espgaluda on MAME. And I think I'm done with it. I think it's Cave's weakest title that I've played, even worse than Progear (which I've also been playing a bit and have come to like actually) - it's too easy (boring) except for that spike in difficulty at the last boss. And the music is horrendous; especially that boss track with the "OOH" and "YEAH!" repeating. Just ugh.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I have Deathsmiles and Guwange xbl......can someone give me a list of Cave's games that are region-free that I play on a NA 360? What other Cave's games are coming to the west?

jlevel13

Kasumi1970 said:
I have Deathsmiles and Guwange xbl......can someone give me a list of Cave's games that are region-free that I play on a NA 360? What other Cave's games are coming to the west?

Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 are both region free and can be played on a NA 360. The upcoming February release of the Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets double set will also be region free. It is unknown at this time what other Cave games will get a release in the west.

Top Bottom