• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

jlevel13

Aigis said:
Oh and I played a bit Espgaluda on MAME. And I think I'm done with it. I think it's Cave's weakest title that I've played, even worse than Progear (which I've also been playing a bit and have come to like actually) - it's too easy (boring) except for that spike in difficulty at the last boss. And the music is horrendous; especially that boss track with the "OOH" and "YEAH!" repeating. Just ugh.

hmm... have you tried adjusting the difficulty? hit F2 and set it to hard or very hard under 7. game. Normal is hard enough for me though :(

Wehrwolf

jlevel13 said:
Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 are both region free and can be played on a NA 360. The upcoming February release of the Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets double set will also be region free. It is unknown at this time what other Cave games will get a release in the west.

As a warning, I'm pretty sure the limited edition of Espgaruda II has territory protection, but you'll be okay with the regular edition one.

Aigis said:
Oh and I played a bit Espgaluda on MAME. And I think I'm done with it. I think it's Cave's weakest title that I've played, even worse than Progear (which I've also been playing a bit and have come to like actually) - it's too easy (boring) except for that spike in difficulty at the last boss.
Fuuuu. I wish Espgaluda was too easy for me. Only played it a few times though.

Ugh, I absolutely hate the scoring system in Death Smiles II arcade mode. The only way I can have any fun with it is to play Lei, but I really don't like to play as him in the first place. It's a shame too since the bullet patterns and stage design is perfectly fine. 360 mode on the other hand is actually fun to play, and as a bonus, it doesn't look like dog shit like arcade mode.

DS2X is a decent game in its own right, but as a sequel to the excellent Death Smiles, I can't help but be thoroughly disappointed. I'll give this game some more time before I write it off completely though.

edit: Well the scoring system is starting to grow on me a little. It's not as fun as the first game's, but it can still be pretty fun - especially on the mansion and the final stage. I just hate using Lei.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm late to the Cave party, but Im fully on board now. Discovering this company's games has revitalized my interest in SHMUPs and makes me feel good about the state of Japanese gaming in general. Its a company worth supporting. I've got Mushi Futari in the mail and I'll be picking up the rest of the region free 360 titles. So excited :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
Info on the arranges on upcoming releases: http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=750

Pink Sweets arrange mode sounds pretty good. Apparently the blogger says it plays a lot like Ibara.

This release sounds pretty packed full of content. :D Two games, arranges for both, another DLC unlocked version for MMP with preorders, and I'm not sure if there's anything else. But still, that's good enough as is. Really makes up for the lack of a visual upgrade.

hipgnosis

Wehrwolf said:
I had thought Pink Sweets was related to Ibara (more than just being a Cave shooter, of course). Isn't it?
Yeah it is a sequel to Ibara.

Those arrange modes sound pretty good! That Pink Sweets arrange might get a lot of mileage from me if that core game feels too hardcore.

Aaron

Wehrwolf said:
I had thought Pink Sweets was related to Ibara (more than just being a Cave shooter, of course). Isn't it?
I believe it's a semi-sequel. Involves some of the same characters, made by the same people.

Tain

iconoclast said:
Ugh, I absolutely hate the scoring system in Death Smiles II arcade mode. The only way I can have any fun with it is to play Lei, but I really don't like to play as him in the first place. It's a shame too since the bullet patterns and stage design is perfectly fine. 360 mode on the other hand is actually fun to play, and as a bonus, it doesn't look like dog shit like arcade mode.

DS2X is a decent game in its own right, but as a sequel to the excellent Death Smiles, I can't help but be thoroughly disappointed. I'll give this game some more time before I write it off completely though.

edit: Well the scoring system is starting to grow on me a little. It's not as fun as the first game's, but it can still be pretty fun - especially on the mansion and the final stage. I just hate using Lei.

I played for my first clear as Supe throughout and thought the scoring seemed ridiculously tense. Like, hey, let's layer a maze chase game on top of that STG!

While I love arcade mode, I tried DS2X and wasn't really feeling it.

The scoring is pretty fast-paced once you get the ball rolling. I'd like to play as Windia or Supe, but I can't build the multiplier at all with them. With Lei, I can build the multiplier extremely fast, and from there it's just non-stop power up chaining and soaking up tons of points with the lock shot. It's pretty fun.

I still like 2X mode more though. It's got two more stages, two more characters, higher difficulty, and better graphics. I think they went a little too crazy with the scoring system though. Most of the time the game plays at half speed because the screen is always full of purple rings. :lol

jlevel13

With Guwange, what's the differences between the standard arcade mode and blue mode? They seem pretty much exactly the same to me (at least up to the third level, as far as I've yet made it)... but I'm sure I'm missing something (scoring system?)...

danmaku

jlevel13 said:
With Guwange, what's the differences between the standard arcade mode and blue mode? They seem pretty much exactly the same to me (at least up to the third level, as far as I've yet made it)... but I'm sure I'm missing something (scoring system?)...

There are two main differences (as far as I know):

- the "coin fever" mode is always active, while in arcade mode you must have > 1000 coins.

- when you cancel bullets with the shikigami you cancel even the bullets you just touched and then let go. This means you can cancel much more bullets than in arcade mode.

All in all, blue mode is a bit easier than arcade and you can score higher.

Just 1cc'd Death Smiles II arcade mode with Lei. I've warmed up to the game after spending more time with it, so I figure I'll do a quick review.

The bullet patterns and stage design are, for the most part, as good as the first Death Smiles. Which means it's excellent. Satan Claws is a fantastic end boss, since he's a tough motherfucker with some awesome bullet patterns. Satan Claws > Tyrannosatan. Aside from the graphics, the scoring system is the biggest change to the game. Sometimes I love the new system, sometimes I hate it; but after spending a few days getting used to the changes, overall I think it's an improvement. With the new system, when you hold laser, the bullets from your option leech blue rings from enemies, which builds your overall counter. When you tap shot while point-blanking an enemy, your character leeches red rings, which builds your item counter. Once you power up, the idea is to use your lock-shot to kill most of the enemies. Doing that spawns yellow suicide bullets that you kite around until they're just about to hit you, then once you let go of the lock-shot, it turns the suicide bullet into tons of purple rings, giving you tons of points. My favorite thing about this is how easy it is to do a quick counter recharge. You can chain power ups over and over and over, which makes the scoring very fast-paced and fun.

Aesthetically, the game fails pretty hard. First of all, the art doesn't hold a candle to the original game. I have no idea who the artist was for DS2, but he's not half as good as Joker Jun. Secondly, the graphics are simply awful in arcade mode. If you told me this was a Dreamcast game, I'd probably believe you. But at least the music is pretty good.

So to summarize, Death Smiles II is a good game.

Aigis said:
It was Joker Jun. :lol

Wow, really? I could have sworn Cave hired a different artist for DS2. If he really did DS2's art, wow... what happened.

Not that I think Death Smiles was the pinnacle of high art or anything, but the art in ESP Ra.De, Guwange, and Death Smiles is much, much better.

A JP player named MON has cleared Daioujou Death Label on PS2, a world first after over 7 years of release. Death Label is a boss attack mode exclusive to the PS2 version. The reason it hadn't been cleared is because the 2nd loop takes away all of your lives (much like the original daioujou loop 2), so you need to no miss everything, including the dreaded double Hibachis at the end that fire nearly inhuman shot patterns (you thought one was bad enough?!). Blog post with screenshot of clear.
No video of the actual clear up yet.

Failed attempt, but he gets pretty close. Double Hibachis at 8:30.

In other news, the requirements for Zatsuza, the secret true true TRUE last boss of Daifukkatsu Black Label, have been revealed. People suspected Zatsuza was a secret boss when the Daifukkatsu OST was released with a track named Zatsuza, but nobody could confirm its existence until now. To reach Zatsuza you need to play on strong mode, die only once, use only two bombs, and defeat all bosses with a full Reddo gauge. You also can't lose a life on golden disaster, but apparently you can lose lives on hibachi (or I'm missing something).

Rocca

mjemirzian said:
A JP player named MON has cleared Daioujou Death Label on PS2, a world first after over 7 years of release. Death Label is a boss attack mode exclusive to the PS2 version. The reason it hadn't been cleared is because the 2nd loop takes away all of your lives (much like the original daioujou loop 2), so you need to no miss everything, including the dreaded double Hibachis at the end that fire nearly inhuman shot patterns (you thought one was bad enough?!). Blog post with screenshot of clear.
No video of the actual clear up yet.

Failed attempt, but he gets pretty close. Double Hibachis at 8:30.

In other news, the requirements for Zatsuza, the secret true true TRUE last boss of Daifukkatsu Black Label, have been revealed. People suspected Zatsuza was a secret boss when the Daifukkatsu OST was released with a track named Zatsuza, but nobody could confirm its existence until now. To reach Zatsuza you need to play on strong mode, die only once, use only two bombs, and defeat all bosses with a full Reddo gauge. You also can't lose a life on golden disaster, but apparently you can lose lives on hibachi (or I'm missing something).

Doing that is pretty much impossible. Good for him, seriously. :)

NekoFever

_dementia said:
DDPR and Espgaluda 2 iPhone getting gamecenter support tomorrow
I got the updates for both of them a few hours ago. I enjoyed being in the top 20 worldwide on DDPR for a few minutes :p

Yes Boss!

There is also a video update that shows you the code to play Hibachi in DoDonPachi R.

Bug Panic! also got an update.

Code (sideways, sorry):

ad4e55dd.jpg

J2d

I've had so much fun with DDP on the iphone that I'm considering picking up a 360 but I have some questions.

1. How are the ports for Ketsui, Mushihime 2 and DDP:R? Pretty much arcade perfect or Ibara bad?

2. Any recommendations on a good 20 inch or so 4:3 monitor?

3. What's the best pad out there? Is there anything that might let me use a saturn pad?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I've been playing Mushi Futari and while I really enjoy it, I feel like the game is going right over my head. I need to read up on what's going on with the score system. Absolutely gorgeous game though, wowow.

Yes Boss! said:
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv358/gbuczek/ad4e55dd.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/16baq7t.jpg

;)

I'll have to update DDPR and ESPII and spend some time with them this weekend.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for flipping! Don't own a computer so I can't even doing something as simple as that :lol

J2d,

All those ports are excellent. Not arcade perfect since there are always little quirks the arcade faithful notice but in a ton of other ways they are way better...new modes, new higher-rez sprites, etc.

Pads on 360 are limited. You are stuck with the official 360 or limited third-party pads. Go the whole hog and invest in a stick! Lots of fun high-quality relatively cheap options out there!

J2d

Yes Boss! said:
All those ports are excellent. Not arcade perfect since there are always little quirks the arcade faithful notice but in a ton of other ways they are way better...new modes, new higher-rez sprites, etc.

Pads on 360 are limited. You are stuck with the official 360 or limited third-party pads. Go the whole hog and invest in a stick! Lots of fun high-quality relatively cheap options out there!
Thanks for taking the time, I'm guessing they are close to Arikas efforts at least then which is all I hope for. Shame about the pad situation though since I can't seem to adjust to using sticks.

Risette

A Good Citizen
J2d said:
I've had so much fun with DDP on the iphone that I'm considering picking up a 360 but I have some questions.

1. How are the ports for Ketsui, Mushihime 2 and DDP:R? Pretty much arcade perfect or Ibara bad?

2. Any recommendations on a good 20 inch or so 4:3 monitor?

3. What's the best pad out there? Is there anything that might let me use a saturn pad?
The ports are pretty much all great except the DOJBLEX port. Avoid that one. I recommend just using a cheap old CRT with the 360's VGA cable.

On the Saturn pad thing, you can get a Saturn->PSX/PS2 converter and then a PS2->360 converter at keio.dk (email him) It'll work without lag. It will not be cheap though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
DOJBLEX is a complete piece of shit in its unpatched state. The biggest reason I say that is because there's a forced bilinear filter on the thing that makes it a blurry mess. The patch that's been in development for like... a year and a half is supposed to fix that, but who the hell knows when or if that's even going to come out? Out of the box, though? Yeah, just get the PS2 version of DOJ instead. Waaaay better.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Chacranajxy said:
DOJBLEX is a complete piece of shit in its unpatched state. The biggest reason I say that is because there's a forced bilinear filter on the thing that makes it a blurry mess. The patch that's been in development for like... a year and a half is supposed to fix that, but who the hell knows when or if that's even going to come out? Out of the box, though? Yeah, just get the PS2 version of DOJ instead. Waaaay better.
Yeah, but Black Label isn't on the PS2 version :( You can play it in MAME now though!

J2d

I'll check out keio.dk and hopefully get something decent going. Shame I can't just use my usb saturn pad, was quite surprised at the shitty selection of pads available for the 360. I haven't been up to date on what's been going on and assumed there would be something good out there by now.

I've played DDP DOJ to death so I'm never gonna pick that up again, ever. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps.

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
It is, drumroll...

Yes Boss!

(with exclamation)

Ha, only a few hundred players on the leaderboards for now. Nice and high for a few hours!

ok, added, you'll know its me ;)

jlevel13

J2d said:
Shame I can't just use my usb saturn pad, was quite surprised at the shitty selection of pads available for the 360. I haven't been up to date on what's been going on and assumed there would be something good out there by now.

I use a stick myself, but the street fighter fight pads that came out a couple of years ago, may be a bit ugly, but are pretty nice & definitely better than the 360 pad (because of the functional d-pad and button placement). They can also be found for around $20-$25 now.

http://gizmodo.com/5159174/mad-catz-street-fighter-iv-fightpad-review-im-going-to-kill-you-so-so-bad

Rocca said:
Doing that is pretty much impossible. Good for him, seriously. :)
No kidding. What's more ridiculous is that there's no practice mode for death label, so it's a 20 minute trip every time just to practice the hibachis, then one miss and you're done.

Of course you could use an emulator, save states, and slowdown to practice the sequence.. but even that wouldn't help if you just don't have the dexterity and muscle memory required to dodge the patterns full speed under pressure.

I recently got Espgaluda 2 (x360) and am looking for some leaderboard competition, although I'm not very good yet lol. Pretty much exclusively playing Black Label mode.

Add me please!, GT is number1jagsfan

jlevel13

Chiaroscuro said:
DoDonPachi Dai-Fukkatsu was updated to 1250 gamerscore, adding the achievements for the upcoming Black Label DLC (will be released on February 3rd for 1200 MS points)

Hopefully this time it won't completely screw-up the whole game the way the black label DLC for Mushihime-sama Futari did.

Chiaroscuro said:
DoDonPachi Dai-Fukkatsu was updated to 1250 gamerscore, adding the achievements for the upcoming Black Label DLC (will be released on February 3rd for 1200 MS points): http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/do-don-pachi-resurrection/achievements/

Haha, a Zatsuza achievement. I wonder how many people will get that (legitimately)...

jlevel13 said:
Hopefully this time it won't completely screw-up the whole game the way the black label DLC for Mushihime-sama Futari did.

And they never bothered to fix it either. So annoying.

iconoclast said:
Haha, a Zatsuza achievement. I wonder how many people will get that (legitimately)...

And they never bothered to fix it either. So annoying.
Considering nobody outside of the unreleased DFK BL superplay DVD has any recorded footage of Zatsuza at all? Not many will. Apparently you need to no miss the entire game including hibachi. And as much as DFK is about spamming hypers, at some point you're going to have to do some dodging of Hibachi's patterns if you want to no miss it.

http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=823
http://translate.google.com/transla...u=http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/&anno=2

"The patch is finally done (and seems to have been approved by MS), according to the latest blog post by Mihara.

There will be an announcement next Monday on 5pb’s homepage, giving the release date."

So, now that the game is being patched, you'll have no excuse not to get your butt handed to you endlessly by daioujou.

Also see: http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=800
"5.) Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label (Japanese X360) – ~90-95% slowdown accuracy. Quite an accurate, playable port, contrary to popular belief. Speed algorithm on the true last boss is altered making it more difficult (to be fixed in the patch, if/when that is released). White label on this port has some game-breaking glitches (game usually freezes in 2-2), and is not worth playing unless a patch is released."

Wehrwolf

jlevel13 said:

Apologies that my search skills failed me, but how did the DLC screw up Mushihimesama Futari?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Wehrwolf said:
Apologies that my search skills failed me, but how did the DLC screw up Mushihimesama Futari?
Apparently for some people having the DLC added some annoying stuttering. Doesn't happen to me though.

Top Bottom