• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

AC!D

Surprised local Gamestops seem to have Deathsmiles in stock. Called to be sure. Definitely picking up tomorrow. I played a lot of it on iOS but now that I'm playing 360 shmups with a stick, I need to have it.

Honestly, Deathsmiles is such a fantastic game. I don't know if it's because it's one of the easier (easiest?) Cave titles, or all the loli crap, but it just doesn't seem to get praise it deserves.

SOME-MIST

my mushihimesama HD LE shipped from NCSX!! awwwwww yeah!!

this is actually the first time I've purchased from NCS - usually because I find a better deal at other retailers, but this is also the first time a preordered import item has shipped for me before the release date.

When ordering from NCS, does anyone ever receive their copy before the release date? I'm dying with anticipation and I hope it arrives before Friday. NY to Chicago shouldn't take that long :D

LiK

I really want this, but didn't they clearly say that this one was NOT region-free?

I emailed NCS a while back but they weren't sure and the product page doesn't mention it. Play-Asia doesn't know either. Guess we'll know soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really want this, but didn't they clearly say that this one was NOT region-free?

They said a while back that they weren't making any more region free games, and they sounded serious... so even though I haven't heard any direct confirmation this isn't region free, I'd count on it being locked.

this is actually the first time I've purchased from NCS - usually because I find a better deal at other retailers, but this is also the first time a preordered import item has shipped for me before the release date.

When ordering from NCS, does anyone ever receive their copy before the release date? I'm dying with anticipation and I hope it arrives before Friday. NY to Chicago shouldn't take that long :D

I'm also in the Chicago area, and games have gotten to me early... Friday at the latest.

It's normal for games to ship early in the week of release, rather than the actual release date. The only times I've been forced to wait for release date is for product that had to be ordered directly from the publisher's website (e.g. Konamistyle bundles).

Mine has shipped as well, and UPS from NY has never failed to deliver to me in MD the next day.

SOME-MIST

I think my play-asia orders have always shipped on the release date..and then I usually pick the longest shipping and it ends up taking 1-2 weeks.

I go with NCS when I want a game ASAP. They're more expensive, but they ship quickly and I usually get the game the day after it ships, so I think it's worth the premium.

LiK

I go with NCS when I want a game ASAP. They're more expensive, but they ship quickly and I usually get the game the day after it ships, so I think it's worth the premium.

and they package them perfectly so i don't need to worry about dents or crushed boxes from overseas.

Finally 1CCed Futari Black Label last night! I feel like it took way longer than it should have. Game is burnt into my mind. It was the first console shmup I've ever played, and first time with an arcade stick, so I guess it's not too bad.

Trying to choose something to work on next. 1.5 Original would probably be doable. I really like both Maniacs but they might be too much for me. Maybe DDPR?

'Grats on the 1CC. Futari (BL) is the game of the forever.

1.5 Original has a considerable jump in difficulty. DDP:R with Strong is probably easier than Futari Original BL. I'm not too crazy on DDP:R though.

Yes Boss!

and they package them perfectly so i don't need to worry about dents or crushed boxes from overseas.

Gotta love their liberal use of UPS packing material! When they used to sell arcade stick their packaging would be overkill, but always appreciated.

SOME-MIST

the funny thing being that, the limited edition at NCS was priced the cheapest. To be honest that and putting up their preorders first were the only reasons I bought from them.

the funny thing being that, the limited edition at NCS was priced the cheapest. To be honest that and putting up their preorders first were the only reasons I bought from them.

AmiAmi probably works out cheaper. Definitely not faster though!

I have to say that the AmiAmi exclusive preorder bonus was really tempting though.

oh snap, what was it? I didn't know they had a bonus. :( AmiAmi is on par with NCS in packaging.

A "Bookstore card", whatever that is. http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TVG-X36-1094

TVG-X36-1094.jpg

Zeth

'Grats on the 1CC. Futari (BL) is the game of the forever.

1.5 Original has a considerable jump in difficulty. DDP:R with Strong is probably easier than Futari Original BL. I'm not too crazy on DDP:R though.

Thanks! I really love the game, Black Label specifically. I have a LOT of fun playing BL Maniac but I don't know how realistic a 1CC is. I have fun just running through it, restarting each level when I screw up just going for "theoretical" top scores :p

Out of curiosity, how does BL Maniac difficulty compare to 1.5 Maniac in your opinion?

Danny Dudekisser

Lol, has anyone checked the prices of Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra (the 360 version)? Some dude's trying to sell a new copy for $369, and the only other new copy is like $180 or something. Glad I bought that thing when I did...

kaioshade

Lol, has anyone checked the prices of Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra (the 360 version)? Some dude's trying to sell a new copy for $369, and the only other new copy is like $180 or something. Glad I bought that thing when I did...

Ugh, and this is why i knew it was going to be painful. I expect Ketsui to receive similar treatment.

Danny Dudekisser

Ugh, and this is why i knew it was going to be painful. I expect Ketsui to receive similar treatment.

Ketsui... I dunno about that. Game's pretty affordable right now. Certainly moreso than DOJ BL ever was. I'd be surprised if that became expensive.

Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork, though. Give that 2 years and it'll be as expensive as Ibara on PS2 is right now (which means really, really.) That's probably the one to get sooner rather than later if you're concerned about shit getting unreasonably pricey.

jbueno

At that point, you might as well save for the PCBs. As much as I love Cave STGs, no port is worth paying over $100.

kaioshade

Ketsui... I dunno about that. Game's pretty affordable right now. Certainly moreso than DOJ BL ever was. I'd be surprised if that became expensive.

Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork, though. Give that 2 years and it'll be as expensive as Ibara on PS2 is right now (which means really, really.) That's probably the one to get sooner rather than later if you're concerned about shit getting unreasonably pricey.

Yea, as soon as this laptop sale goes through, i am picking up MMP/PS pronto. Will prob try to find DOJ soon as well. Rest of the catalog shouldnt be too difficult.

Now im wondering should i pick up each version of these games. Especially some of the LE's that never got a localization.

Ah, wasting money...

Ramune

That'd make a great bookmark for my Reco hentai doujinshi I've been whacking off to.

While sleeping with Muchi Muchi Pink? ^_-
http://www.cave-shop.jp/shop/item/caveshop/picture/goods/270_1_expand.jpg (NSFW)

On a related note, that card's art isnt my cup of tea. Still a nice extra I'm sure! I picked up a really nice laminated telecard with rare official art to go with my copy of Futari last year. I'll see if I can't take a picture of it later, really beautiful.

Should have my copy of MushiHD tomorrow!

shaowebb

Deathsmiles is a coming in and I got Akai Katana ordered now too. I've honestly never shmupped with a stick even though I own 3 (one ps2/xbox stick and 2 360 sticks) I'm gonna have to do this though. It has to feel better than holding down fire with my thumb and its likely way more precise on dodging gently.

I plan on attempting the whole import thing once college is over and I can afford to import stuff. I'm making a list of Cave games/ Kamen Rider stuff I wanna play from japan for after I start my career this fall. Gonna be a fun x-mas to say the least if all goes well. Right now the only thing I could try to afford to import would be the cheaper bullethell imports from Touhou online. I've never played a Touhou, but they look good so I may go with a Touhou game if I somehow feel the need and have more cash between now and then to shmup with (though for that price Deathsmiles 2...)

Also on a side note I'm going to bed tonight with only divine mode left to clear all the stages on in jamestown. Its been a good day for bullet hell :D

Yes Boss!

Deathsmiles is a coming in and I got Akai Katana ordered now too. I've honestly never shmupped with a stick even though I own 3 (one ps2/xbox stick and 2 360 sticks) I'm gonna have to do this though. It has to feel better than holding down fire with my thumb and its likely way more precise on dodging gently.

I plan on attempting the whole import thing once college is over and I can afford to import stuff. I'm making a list of Cave games/ Kamen Rider stuff I wanna play from japan for after I start my career this fall. Gonna be a fun x-mas to say the least if all goes well. Right now the only thing I could try to afford to import would be the cheaper bullethell imports from Touhou online. I've never played a Touhou, but they look good so I may go with a Touhou game if I somehow feel the need and have more cash between now and then to shmup with (though for that price Deathsmiles 2...)

Also on a side note I'm going to bed tonight with only divine mode left to clear all the stages on in jamestown. Its been a good day for bullet hell :D

Have fun collecting them. I love doing so. Drives me nuts that I'm missing some of the Cave releases...Ketsui LE and the Espgaluda II SE, being the big culprits.

Definitely get an arcade stick. Lots of great options out there. Does not take too much money to get a good shooter collection going.

Daigoro

dunno if everyone has there copy of Deathsmiles already, but ive been seeing the collecters edition (is there any other one?) going for $10 new on Newegg.

figured i'd give a heads up.

meppi

I just ordered mine for £64 so I'm pretty happy. ;)

Daigoro

are they still selling MMP/PS new anywhere for a reasonable price?

that's one of the few Cave games left that i feel like i need (for the ones ported anyways).

damn. i wish DS2 got a disc release. i dont ever want to not be able to play that game.

I'm going to put in an order for the standard version. Faceplate is useless to me as I got a 250GB S 360. Anyone know if the standard version comes with the soundtrack?

Daigoro

I'm going to put in an order for the standard version. Faceplate is useless to me as I got a 250GB S 360. Anyone know if the standard version comes with the soundtrack?

neither version did i dont think. i wish. i love the soundtrack to DS.

TheHut.com has Dodonpachi Resurrection for about 18$ shipped to US. Futari and Espgaluda II JP Platinum Hits versions are pretty affordable too.

damn, thats cheap. i kind of tuned out after DOJ which i didnt get into that much. would anyone reccomend this game to someone who is a fan of Donpachi and DDP?

is this a widescreen vert or do those screenshots on that site just look like that?

meppi

damn, thats cheap. i kind of tuned out after DOJ which i didnt get into that much. would anyone reccomend this game to someone who is a fan of Donpachi and DDP?

is this a widescreen vert or do those screenshots on that site just look like that?

I would certainly recommend Resurrection, but I loved all DDP games I've played myself so I'm not sure if you didn't like DOJ.
It's your regular vertical screen setup. So the pictures you're referring to are probably messed up. Just checked. Yep, they are messed up quite bad actually.

One thing I would recommend if at all possible is to use shopto instead of zavvi.
http://www.shopXXXto.net/XBOX 360/VIDEO GAMES/XB2DO01-Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition.html
(Remove the XXX)
Zavvi has been know to take forever with shipping times, while shopto is incredibly fast 99% of the time. You could always get lucky, who knows. But you might as well end up waiting 6 weeks for your game. Or it might not even arrive...

meppi

Yes, both shops are from the "Thehut" group.

Like I said, you could be perfectly fine and have the game in a week, but you have a big chance of having to wait weeks.
When I order from Zavvi/The Hut the games usually show up within 2-3 weeks, sometimes 1 week when I'm very lucky.
When I order from Shopto which uses different shipping methods and is a little more expensive, I have the game within 3 days, no exceptions. :)

This is from UK to Belgium btw.

I still use Zavvi and sometimes TheHut itself when they do really good deals. But keep in mind that you might have to wait a while to receive your items.

Yes Boss!

dunno if everyone has there copy of Deathsmiles already, but ive been seeing the collecters edition (is there any other one?) going for $10 new on Newegg.

figured i'd give a heads up.

Cool, I ordered a second one as a backup. Cheap!

Also, DS2 did get a disc release LE and SE and a platinum disc re-release in japan (and arcade stick release). Or maybe you are just talking about a region-free.

BOTEC

I spent a little time messing about with Deathsmiles II X last night. I've had it forever, but never really gave it a fair shot. The 360 modes are pretty cool. I like the little FMV boss intro movies.They give the whole thing an appropriate level of cheese. I never wanted to pay full MSRP for it, but the $30 for the XBLA version is a great deal. It's also great for making you feel good about yourself. I managed to 1cc the II X mode and Arrange mode on Level 1 with no trouble, and had plenty fun. (Arcade mode kicked my ass though.)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really hate myself, I finally CAVEd in and bought AKS from Amazon UK even tho its price will be slashed in half in less than 2 months like it happened for DS and DDPR. Couldn't resist, what a puny weaksauce :/

meppi

Really hate myself, I finally CAVEd in and bought AKS from Amazon UK even tho its price will be slashed in half in less than 2 months like it happened for DS and DDPR. Couldn't resist, what a puny weaksauce :/

This is one of the few instances where you certainly don't need to feel bad, even if the price were to be only half of what you paid for it by next week.
Look at it this way: by buying this game at full price you're helping RSG to recoup their investment and with a bit of luck they can bring another Cave game to Europe by the end of the year.

Seconded. Buying AK now can only help RSG and improve chances that we'll get another US Cave release. I hope most people who intend to pick up the game are doing it now.

Himself

Increasing the chances of having more shooters come our way is worth more to me than 10-20 bucks. Plus, it's hard to think of a better value proposition for me than a Cave game. I'll get my $40 worth out of this endlessly.

Top Bottom