• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure it will come down...has to.

Not badly priced for the game but in the iOS market it is a little silly.

Does Black Label have a different soundtrack, art or anything?

I kind of find it hard to get excited about alternative modes of games that have all the same art assets...

Does Black Label have a different soundtrack, art or anything?

I kind of find it hard to get excited about alternative modes of games that have all the same art assets...

Same soundtrack, art had a darker palette but is otherwise identical. But bullet patterns, properties, and scoring mechanics are considerably different.

This is a pretty good deal when you consider that this was a $15 upgrade on 360 that didn't include an extra mode (boss rush) and still required the base game, but yeah, I don't expect more than a couple hundred of people to see it that way. I doubt the vast majority of those who bought the original will buy this as well, unless there's a massive price drop in the future.

BOTEC

Did someone say new Cave game on iOS?

I really don't like the argument that $15 is somehow too expensive for a phone/tablet app. Yeah, sure that's way more than the vast majority of apps on iTunes, but the vast majority of apps on iTunes are junk. Cave games are polished to perfection, and offer hours of entertainment. $15 is a paltry sum compared the the $80 or so for a console port.

Did someone say new Cave game on iOS?

I really don't like the argument that $15 is somehow too expensive for a phone/tablet app. Yeah, sure that's way more than the vast majority of apps on iTunes, but the vast majority of apps on iTunes are junk. Cave games are polished to perfection, and offer hours of entertainment. $15 is a paltry sum compared the the $80 or so for a console port.

I think the biggest problem in this case is that they are asking for twice of the price they themselves set for the base game. Bug Princess 2 is still $7.

Zeth

So there's no separate leaderboards for the cheats, guess that kind of breaks the leaderboards. There's already someone with an impossible score in Original mode. Beat my ~890 mil by about 100x.

Also noticed you can get pretty much identical scores whether you're playing Hell/normal/hard/novice. There's no incentive to play the Hell setting. That doesn't make much sense to me.

shaowebb

So there's no separate leaderboards for the cheats, guess that kind of breaks the leaderboards. There's already someone with an impossible score in Original mode. Beat my ~890 mil by about 100x.

Also noticed you can get pretty much identical scores whether you're playing Hell/normal/hard/novice. There's no incentive to play the Hell setting. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Ouch. This is Espgaluda 2's black label mode only though isn't it? I managed to find it on Amazon for$39 total after shipping recently. Im waiting for it and Dodonpachi Resurrection to arrive now. Took my All Kamen Rider moneys for it, but I new I wouldn't see that price with such low shipping again anytime soon.

:3

Look at what you guys have done to me lol. I went in 3 months from mobile light force, Castle Shikigami 2/3 to also owning Deathsmiles, Akai Katana, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Espgaluda 2, playing Eden's Aegis, Gundemonium Collection, and Raiden Fighter aces.

Heck I'm still looking for the Exceed collection to get its Steam approval as its a few months overdue for its release. All dem shooty shoot games.

So far though I'm enjoying Deathsmiles, Hitogata Happa, and Eden's Aegis the most. I just can't get Akai Katana's strategies yet to convert for points, but I reaaaaally want to. I know as soon as I get the mode flipping stuff and how to abuse it for the biggest possible scores It'll skyrocket for me. Can't wait for Dodonpachi Resurrection and Espgaluda 2 to arrive. Betting Espgaluda 2 will move to my number 1.

Seriously though can someone explain Akai Katana more. I keep getting swords by going attack mode with phantom then flipping back, but all I see are green orbs most days and I don't get how to make anything bigger.

Ouch. This is Espgaluda 2's black label mode only though isn't it? I managed to find it on Amazon for$39 total after shipping recently. Im waiting for it and Dodonpachi Resurrection to arrive now. Took my All Kamen Rider moneys for it, but I new I wouldn't see that price with such low shipping again anytime soon.

The current iOS discussion is purely for Bug Princess 2 (Mushihimesama Futari).

Seriously though can someone explain Akai Katana more. I keep getting swords by going attack mode with phantom then flipping back, but all I see are green orbs most days and I don't get how to make anything bigger.

Are you playing Slash (Shin) or Origin/Climax (Arcade/Zetsu)?

Zeth

Two new high scores this weekend, 556mil - ALL - Reco in Futari BL Original and 906mil in the iOS version. Here's a question: on some runs I succumb to the increasing rank in stage 3 or 4 (I tend to prioritize score over survival) and end up dying on Larsa or sometimes during stage 5. Is a high score kind of less relevant if it's not a 1CC?

Bug Princess 2 Black Label is weird. It's pretty easy to get a top score on Novice difficulty because of the way the scoring works, it doesn't necessitate a ton of bullets to score. Also I'm pretty sure the rank doesn't increase at all. There's no noticeable change when the counter passes 100k, where bullets start moving at light speed in the 360 version. So it's kind of broken in that way, and all the difficulties are lumped into one leaderboard, they need to be separate unless the change the scoring IMO.

danmaku

Two new high scores this weekend, 556mil - ALL - Reco in Futari BL Original and 906mil in the iOS version. Here's a question: on some runs I succumb to the increasing rank in stage 3 or 4 (I tend to prioritize score over survival) and end up dying on Larsa or sometimes during stage 5. Is a high score kind of less relevant if it's not a 1CC?

There's no explicit rule about that, generally a high score is a high score, regardless you cleared the game or not. Arcadia magazine considers valid only 1CC scores, but I don't think anyone of us will be submitting their scores to them anyway, and I think it's a pretty dumb rule. Maybe it's there to avoid some cheap glitch exploitation.

Zeth

There's no explicit rule about that, generally a high score is a high score, regardless you cleared the game or not. Arcadia magazine considers valid only 1CC scores, but I don't think anyone of us will be submitting their scores to them anyway, and I think it's a pretty dumb rule. Maybe it's there to avoid some cheap glitch exploitation.

Interesting. I've noticed some people submit non-1CC scores on the shmup forums, and I don't really see any reason to discount a score because of it. I guess it depends on what the game is sometimes.

edit: gotta give you props on your avatar, it's probably the reason I've gotten into Guwange recently.

The latest tweet from cave_world_en directly contradicts this:

PoochyEXE (Poochy.EXE) @cave_world_en Does Bug Primcess 2 Black Label have a separate leaderboard for Custom Edit-enabled runs, like DoDonPachi Blissful Death?

cave_world_en (CAVE WORLD(EN)) @PoochyEXE Hey there. Yes it sure does!

danmaku

Interesting. I've noticed some people submit non-1CC scores on the shmup forums, and I don't really see any reason to discount a score because of it. I guess it depends on what the game is sometimes.

edit: gotta give you props on your avatar, it's probably the reason I've gotten into Guwange recently.

Great :) Guwange is awesome. Shame I'll probably never get a physical release for my Cave collection.

meppi

Ooooooh! Had no idea Dodonpachi Resurrection was coming to Games on Demand as well!

As soon as I receive my point card in my inbox, I'll be getting this
for the 5th time lol

Can't be any more convenient that booting up the game without needing the disc.
Wish Risingstargames would just license all the Japanese GoD Cave games as well for the west.

jbueno

Ooooooh! Had no idea Dodonpachi Resurrection was coming to Games on Demand as well!

As soon as I receive my point card in my inbox, I'll be getting this
for the 5th time lol

Can't be any more convenient that booting up the game without needing the disc.
Wish Risingstargames would just license all the Japanese GoD Cave games as well for the west.

This is good news, I might double dip on this. Hopefully they can bring Daifukkatsu Black Label Arrange too.

Yes Boss!

Is that GoD release on the US store, the Resurrection?

Also, I saw that Raiden Fighters Aces is on the NA store...so double-dipping so that it can live on my harddrive.

meppi

It's on the European store. Not sure about the US one, but seeing as the game got a retail release over there by RSG as well, I would be surprised if it didn't hit there as well.

Got my code quickly thanks to cheapxboxlivecodes. Downloading now. :)

The game is €19.99 which translates to 1680 points btw. bargain! ;)

Speaking of Raiden Fighter Aces. My new Japanese copy was just reserved at VGI along with 5 more shooters.
Just in time for my summer vacation in a couple more weeks. Gonna be great!

Yes Boss!

Speaking of Raiden Fighter Aces. My new Japanese copy was just reserved at VGI along with 5 more shooters.
Just in time for my summer vacation in a couple more weeks. Gonna be great!

I know this is the Cave thread, but RFA is the single best 360 shootet release. Enjoy!

meppi

I know this is the Cave thread, but RFA is the single best 360 shootet release. Enjoy!

Really!? :-O
Perhaps because it contains several games on one disc?
Still a bit hard to believe as I'm loving all this Cave goodness on the 360. But who knows.

Only played the Japanese demo, but that doesn't really give a good impression of how the full release is I think.
Loved Raiden 2 and Raiden DX on the PSone and pretty much never played the Fighter sequels due to them not being converted and never seeing them in an arcade over here. As far as you can still find an arcade over here... :(

Elixir

It's not getting released in the US. If it were, it would be here, the entry for the game on the US marketplace. Xbox Live just draws Xbox.com links.

Major Nelson's site is saying EMEA, ANZ and Asia (except Korea).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Loved Raiden 2 and Raiden DX on the PSone and pretty much never played the Fighter sequels due to them not being converted and never seeing them in an arcade over here. As far as you can still find an arcade over here... :(
There was a Raiden Fighters 2 machine on my college campus and I ditched classes constantly to play it. They're great, great games.

BOTEC

Agreed, Raiden Fighters is fucking awesome. If you loved Raiden back in the day (as I do), those games will blow your mind.

Yes Boss!

Plus all those menu features and image adjusts. Magnificent!

So worth $20. Still need to get that 99-hour acievement. I'm up to about 70 between the NA and J release.

meppi

Plus all those menu features and image adjusts. Magnificent!

So worth $20. Still need to get that 99-hour acievement. I'm up to about 70 between the NA and J release.

Well I'll be getting it for around $110. ;)

That actually sounds like a nice achievement goal.
once that pops you know you certainly got your moneys worth out of the game to say the least. :)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Surprised to see DoDonpachi Ressurection so cheap here in Switzerland, since we usually get shafted every time.

It cost 1200 fucking allards, ridiculous! Double dipping so i don't have to put the disc in.

Especially when last week, they put up Ninja Gaiden 2 for 6000.

Jucksalbe

Banned
As long as they are not IP locked and region locked, sure.

Don't know if Dodonpachi is IP locked to Europe or not though.

GoD games are always IP locked. And so are a few XBLA games. In general, it's no problem to buy XBLA games from a foreign account.

meppi

GoD games are always IP locked. And so are a few XBLA games. In general, it's no problem to buy XBLA games from a foreign account.

That's not quite the case though.
I've bought Bullet Soul a while ago on the Japanese marketplace with my European Xbox using my Japanese profile.

Might be possible to get Eschatos as well, but I haven't tried that myself.

Region locks are a terrible, terrible thing.
Indeed they are. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've bought Bullet Soul a while ago on the Japanese marketplace with my European Xbox using my Japanese profile.

Might be possible to get Eschatos as well, but I haven't tried that myself.

What? I didn't know about that. Is there a way to see if a game works before you pay for it?

Edit: Or is it just that region free retail games are region free on GoD, too?

BOTEC

What? I didn't know about that. Is there a way to see if a game works before you pay for it?

Edit: Or is it just that region free retail games are region free on GoD, too?

It looks like it's a total crap shoot. I have a Japanese Xbox, live in America, and was unable to download one region-locked Japanese game due to an IP lock, but another one I tried worked fine.

meppi

I believe that the screen just before you confirm your purchase shows you if the game is IP locked or not by giving you a "this game can not be used/purchased from your region".

Although I'm not quite sure if it's before or after the final step. :-/

BOTEC

I believe that the screen just before you confirm your purchase shows you if the game is IP locked or not by giving you a "this game can not be used/purchased from your region".

Although I'm not quite sure if it's before or after the final step. :-/

It is thankfully, they don't take your money and THEN tell you that you can't download it. MS isn't that greedy.

meppi

It is thankfully, they don't take your money and THEN tell you that you can't download it. MS isn't that greedy.

Oh yeah, didn't mean it like that.

What I was trying to say was that I didn't know if you got the error message before you were 100% locked into purchasing the game or not.
So if it is a locked game, the service will always tell you.

But if you have enough points in your account, I'm not sure at what point such a message would pop up if it's an IP locked one.

I did see it before though when I had lots of points on there, but right now I can't check.

BOTEC

Oh yeah, didn't mean it like that.

What I was trying to say was that I didn't know if you got the error message before you were 100% locked into purchasing the game or not.
So if it is a locked game, the service will always tell you.

But if you have enough points in your account, I'm not sure at what point such a message would pop up if it's an IP locked one.

I did see it before though when I had lots of points on there, but right now I can't check.

The message pops as soon as you click "confirm" to buy the game. XBL crunches some numbers and throws up a block. You're free to go about your business then, no harm done. Which is a little annoying. I'd rather get the error as soon as I click the "purchase" button.

meppi

Ah yes, I'm getting that now with Raiden and Otomedius.

Yet I'm not getting it on ESP Galuda and Mushihimesama Futari.

But that probably just means that those last two are IP blocked instead of region locked since we know they are region free. That error will probably only show up on the next screen when you click "confirm download".

BOTEC

Ah yes, I'm getting that now with Raiden and Otomedius.

Yet I'm not getting it on ESP Galuda and Mushihimesama Futari.

But that probably just means that those last two are IP blocked instead of region locked since we know they are region free. That error will probably only show up on the next screen when you click "confirm download".

Yup, fucking sucks. :(

Also, IP locking is a separate thing from region locking. BOTH the games I tried buying were region locked as discs, but only ONE was IP locked. What the fuck?

meppi

Yeah it doesn't make any sense does it?

It's basically saying: You have the correct system to be able to play these games, you also have the correct profile to be using this software and you have enough money in your account, but because at this time you are in a different section of the world, you are not permitted to buy this game from us.

While if you take this exact setup with you to Japan, connect to Live, you would be able to grab the same content without a hitch...

:(

meppi

Sorry to say that after I put some more points onto my Japanese account I can confirm that those Cave games are IP locked.
And so is Eschatos I'm afraid.

So while they are region free games themselves, you can't buy and download them outside of Japan it seems.
Wonder if it would be possible to use a proxy server somehow to slip around this rather stupid lock.

Top Bottom