• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

Got to spend a week with an eightarc/Qanba Seimitsu stick. In a word: fricken' awesome! I realize these sticks are pretty much the same these days but this one feels real nice with the heft, felt-bottom and overall sturdiness. On par with the mighty EX-SE.

Also, got playing Mushi No1 finally. Really digging it. Like Futari but easier to get a handle on. Working my way through Novice, which is quite a challenge. Up to Ultra. That third big Ohmu stage is just amazing.

My setup in San Francisco for vacation:

mushi-1.jpg

blanco21

Both work on US consoles. I'd go with Mushi Futari only at first, it's great and easy to pick up. Also worth checking out are Deathsmiles and Akai Katana on disc release in the US & Deathsmiles 2X on XBL GoD.

Galuda 2 is pretty hard and complex; I wouldn't recommend it if you've never played a Cave game before.

If you still have it try reinserting the disc multiple times and installing it, possibly multiple times as well. Friend without a GAF account asked me to post this.

Thanks, I'm gonna get Futari...maybe both.

edit: Bought DS2X on a whim just now and downloaded the Akai Katana demo off the JP Marketplace. Both great.

shaowebb

Just got my refund from the seller over the whole Espgaluda II Black Label misprint debacle and they even refunded me extra for all the trouble the misprinted title caused. I left them some really good feedback as they were fast, polite, and showed genuine concern over the misprint ( they verified its misprinting too.)

Great guys and overall I don't mind having this happen as it gave me time to work on Akai Katana more in the moments between school. Im curious what the top score in slash and origin are right now for the contest.

Elixir

Just got my refund from the seller over the whole Espgaluda II Black Label misprint debacle and they even refunded me extra for all the trouble the misprinted title caused. I left them some really good feedback as they were fast, polite, and showed genuine concern over the misprint ( they verified its misprinting too.)

Great guys and overall I don't mind having this happen as it gave me time to work on Akai Katana more in the moments between school. Im curious what the top score in slash and origin are right now for the contest.

In that case, how about removing the incorrect review of the product you gave?

japtor

I'm thinking of selling my copy of mucho muchi pork/pink sweets for 360. Any idea of how much I could get for it.
A crapload.

Edit: well not as much as I thought. From a quick scan on Amazon and eBay I guess around $100 on the lower end of the price range.

I'm thinking of selling my copy of mucho muchi pork/pink sweets for 360. Any idea of how much I could get for it.

It's probably the most valuable Cave 360 release besides DOJBLEX, especially if the DLC code is included and unused.

I actually have a friend who might be interested in acquiring one. If you're selling I'll try and contact him and shoot you contact details.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

I recently dropped $115 for the game new with DLC card included :O Totally worth it though.

Did some price checking beforehand for used copies of the standard edition and found that it can go for about $90 - $120 depending on whether the DLC card is included or not.

This right here is everything I hate about online product reviews. All this individual had to do was a little bit of google work to know that this game is indeed region free and that they most likely had a faulty disc that needed to be returned or replaced by the seller. Instead this person goes and writes a bullshit review, SHOUTING off all kinds of misinformation without even contacting the seller about the problem first.

shaowebb

And done. Thanks for the reminder. That was done before the time we all spent trying to figure out what on earth could make the game read as a dvd instead of play. I'd never even heard of a "misprinted disc" so it was pretty odd to learn of it. Removed, 5 starred for courtesy and all that fluff.
This right here is everything I hate about online product reviews. All this individual had to do was a little bit of google work to know that this game is indeed region free and that they most likely had a faulty disc that needed to be returned or replaced by the seller. Instead this person goes and writes a bullshit review, SHOUTING off all kinds of misinformation without even contacting the seller about the problem first.

Calm yourself bub. I had done my research and in spite of all the research my game still wouldn't play. I'd never heard of a misprinted disc before and region searches on a game don't exactly put forth that info. When faced with the cold hard fact that a game advertised as region free wouldn't play I contacted the seller who hadn't really tested the game on a US system. Until this thread informed me of the existence of misprinted games I hadn't known about them. I removed the review and talked to the seller. The review wasn't bullshit. It was based entirely on the facts I had at the time. I'd researched its region but it still wouldn't play and they hadn't verified it on a US system. It took so long to sort out the thing here that I lost track of the old review in the confusion till now. Once it was settled the review came down once Jesus Carbomb reminded me I hadn't done so yet.

Sometimes people post reviews based on the evidence they had. I'd never gotten an import message before and had never known of one being present on region locked games. All I knew was the game didn't play and they didn't test it so what was I supposed to believe? The reviews or the facts that I had that didn't include anything about misprinted games and different messages for me to help make my judgments.

I guess what I'm saying is people make mistakes in spite of research sometimes so cool your heels. Yeah I forgot but I'm not perfect and I stay busy with college so I'm juggling a lot most times. I mean it took me over a day to even see this message reminding me about it. As soon as I saw the reminder posting that old review from before this thread's help I removed it, though. Done deal and life goes on.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm playing Akai Katana and I have a question. I'm sure there are folks in the thread that have 1CCed this game and it seems like something I can do myself, however as much as I love them, there are few shooters I've ever completed on one credit. Thunder Force III and R-Type Final come to mind. I don't even know if there are any others.

So what's the way to do it? Should I watch other players and try to do it through rote memorization? That doesn't seem very entertaining. I do seem to get better as I play more and memorize enemy patterns and ways to avoid dying at certain parts. Is that the way to go? Just play?

I guess I'm kind of curious how it's done... and how long it often takes...

I'm playing Akai Katana and I have a question. I'm sure there are folks in the thread that have 1CCed this game and it seems like something I can do myself, however as much as I love them, there are few shooters I've ever completed on one credit. Thunder Force III and R-Type Final come to mind. I don't even know if there are any others.

So what's the way to do it? Should I watch other players and try to do it through rote memorization? That doesn't seem very entertaining. I do seem to get better as I play more and memorize enemy patterns and ways to avoid dying at certain parts. Is that the way to go? Just play?

I guess I'm kind of curious how it's done... and how long it often takes...

Different things work for different people, but memorization of other players' routes is usually done more to improve scoring rather than to achieve a clear.

shaowebb

Memorizing the roughest areas on the zones and trying to time when you fire your katanas during those is the simplest answer I can give. Doing things like memorizing when you will get sandwhiched between bullets is also important so you don't end up pinned from both the front and the back. I haven't 1cced the game myself, but doing this helps me get pretty far. Rather than memorize people's routes I try to pay more attention to their tactics. A lot of folks will point blank a screen corner they know will be spawning enemies to kill them before they get off a shot, but its risky. In Akai Katana the main tactic seems to be riding in the wake of your katanas so you generate more steel orbs even during its path clearing wake.

Im trying to keep things generalized, but hopefully this helps. Good luck!

SOME-MIST

I've 1CCed AK (arcade and shin mode) a handful of times, and I always start with watching replays. Then it's all about practicing. Try using the practice mode for the tough spots. The hardest part for me was the end of stage 4/stage 4 boss in arcade mode, and the stage 5 boss (before the TLB).

I usually try to use minimal bombs on stages 1-4, but stage 4 end boss usually takes 1 or 2 from me.

Just keep plugging away. If you notice that you keep dying in a certain place either use the katanas or bombs to avoid the difficult parts. You have a lot more resources to clear the screen of bullets in Akai Katana than in most other games, so don't be afraid to use them!

tearsofash

I recently dropped $115 for the game new with DLC card included :O Totally worth it though.

Did some price checking beforehand for used copies of the standard edition and found that it can go for about $90 - $120 depending on whether the DLC card is included or not.

I may or may not have used up the DLC card. Is there a way to check?

Edit: nevermind. Figured it out. I've used it up.

blanco21

I'm trying to get better at DS2X and I'm having some trouble figuring out the scoring mechanics. I probably won't be able to get Deathsmiles 1 before this weekend (and thus read the manual), so I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick tips on what I might be missing (I can't find much of anything online).

-- What am I trying to do to keep my score up? Keep the counter as high as possible and keep collecting the gems/metals/etc?

-- Are there differences between A/B and LT/RT shots (strategically speaking)? I don't see it, except for differences between the characters. It seems like A/B shots slow down the game more, but I kinda doubt that's intentional.

-- Is the lock-on even necessary? It doesn't seem like it.

-- In Arrange mode, the screen turns red/orange when your counter in the bottom-left hits 1000, but what about the Heaven/Hell gauge? Is the main advantage of the screen turning red that everything slows down?

Thanks. This is my first Cave game, but I totally love it. Seems very possible to 1cc as well compared to other STGs I've played (not bragging - I've never 1cc'ed anything).

edit: thanks for the link pizzaroll

edit 2: another good guide: http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?threadid=1144925

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm trying to get better at DS2X and I'm having some trouble figuring out the scoring mechanics. I probably won't be able to get Deathsmiles 1 before this weekend (and thus read the manual), so I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick tips on what I might be missing.

What am I trying to do to keep my score up? Keep the counter as high as possible and collect the gems/metals/etc?

Are there differences between A/B and LT/RT shots strategically? I don't seem to be seeing it. It seems like A/B shots slow down the game more, but I kinda doubt that's intentional.

Is the lock-on even necessary? It doesn't seem like it.

In Arrange mode, the screen turns red/orange when your counter in the bottom-left hits 1000, but what about the Heaven/Hell gauge? Is the main advantage of the screen turning red that everything slows down?

Thanks. This is my first Cave game, but I totally love it. Seems very possible to 1cc as well compared to other STGs I've played.
A/B is regular shot button, LT/RT is rapid-fire shot -- it's like tapping A/B.

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=905.0 -- here's a brief writeup on scoring in arcade/x-mode

shaowebb

Went out driving today and just decided to border jump from WV to KY and just cruise around. I spot one of those super size Gamestop's over in Ashland and decide to see if they got dumped on by all the old gen systems. Sure enough they did and what do I find for $1.79 in the PS2 pile?

RRlnh.jpg

101 playable ships and the final game in the R Type proper series. 53 forces each with 3 weapons each. 2 equippable bits (satellites aka options) There are 12 Bit types, 10 kinds of homing missiles and bombs and five different Dose AttacksEvery ship ever to appear and its alternates are in this game. And finally 83 kinds of wave cannons

Longplay video

shaowebb

It says $1.99 but it rang up 1.79 with my card
If there is a store that shows up in your area on their check availability dohicky snatch up a copy. This thing is great!

Also on a side note Raiden IV dropped to $9.99 used and is available. Thats pretty big given its normally $20 new, $17 used and hard to find.

Also it would seem the eXceed collection finally hit steam today

• Gun Bullet Children
  • Vampire Rex
  • Jade Penetrate Black Package

All for $9.99
My copy of Gun Bullet Children is weird though. No english subs...just gibberish. Plus unlike the other two the controller compatibility is messed up with my 360 controller. They worked fine, but its super laggy and clunky on Gun Bullet Children with this pad. You cant even use the up direction and its a 1 in 9 shot at getting it to register down. Plus the rate of fire is slow for some reason. Not sure what happened to this file really. I verified it and all that so it may just be messed up.

Playable on keyboard though and really using pad sticks in a bullethell is a bad idea anyway. Either keyboard or stick or nothing. Still that language thing worries me. I'll check up on it sometime. Also I found a nice shmup forum online and lots of stuff is being sold there in terms of games. great bunch of guys and I might be able to score some sweet cave action near new years through them for cheap.

Guiz

I bought Deathsmiles & Dodonpachi Resurection a month ago. I'm having a lot of fun with Deathsmiles (especially in MBL 1.1).
But I didn't really get into DDP, to me this game is so difficult even if I saw superplay and some guides to understand the mechanics of the game. I can't really do anything after the second Boss. I also bought the Ver1.51 DLC, it was easier but still too hard for me.
I also bought Guwange which is, imo, as hard as DDP.

So I'm looking for a shmup that could help me for the gap between Deathsmiles and DDP. Having a EU360, I know that there's not many choices. I'm really looking for a Danmaku. So if you have any advices, I was interested in Akai Katana and Mushihime Sama Futari but I don't really know the difficulty of the games.

danmaku

They're both good choices. If you like DS you may prefer Akai Katana, as it's another hori shooter and it's quite easy. Mushi Futari has a ton of different modes, so it can go from easy (Black Label Original) to brain-melting hard (1.5 Ultra).

As for DDP, superplays are a double edged sword. Expert players take big risks to maximize their score, if you just want to survive you shouldn't play like them.

Guiz

They're both good choices. If you like DS you may prefer Akai Katana, as it's another hori shooter and it's quite easy. Mushi Futari has a ton of different modes, so it can go from easy (Black Label Original) to brain-melting hard (1.5 Ultra).

As for DDP, superplays are a double edged sword. Expert players take big risks to maximize their score, if you just want to survive you shouldn't play like them.

The thing is that Mushi Futari BL is a 15$ DLC like the DDP BL, I think I'll buy Mushi anyway because I really like the arts of the game.

For the superplay, I'm not trying to do the same thing. I know that I really don't have the required skills but it helps me a lot to understand how the game is meant to be play. I watched some commented play.
BTW, if you have any suggestion for youtube channel that have this kind of videos.

SOME-MIST

It says $1.99 but it rang up 1.79 with my card
If there is a store that shows up in your area on their check availability dohicky snatch up a copy. This thing is great!

Also on a side note Raiden IV dropped to $9.99 used and is available. Thats pretty big given its normally $20 new, $17 used and hard to find.

Also it would seem the eXceed collection finally hit steam today

• Gun Bullet Children
  • Vampire Rex
  • Jade Penetrate Black Package

All for $9.99
My copy of Gun Bullet Children is weird though. No english subs...just gibberish. Plus unlike the other two the controller compatibility is messed up with my 360 controller. They worked fine, but its super laggy and clunky on Gun Bullet Children with this pad. You cant even use the up direction and its a 1 in 9 shot at getting it to register down. Plus the rate of fire is slow for some reason. Not sure what happened to this file really. I verified it and all that so it may just be messed up.

Playable on keyboard though and really using pad sticks in a bullethell is a bad idea anyway. Either keyboard or stick or nothing. Still that language thing worries me. I'll check up on it sometime. Also I found a nice shmup forum online and lots of stuff is being sold there in terms of games. great bunch of guys and I might be able to score some sweet cave action near new years through them for cheap.
FYI, but there is another thread dedicated to non-Cave developed shmups.

after 1CCing mushihimesama HD original mode a couple of months ago, I haven't really shmupped. Last week I actually started to try and play Ketsui seriously. I've maybe thrown 25 attempts into the arcade mode in the past few years and have been turned off by the extreme difficulty, so I actually tried X-mode which was a breath of fresh air.

I've maybe sunk about 10 attempts into X-mode so far, but this was my first run at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=88ukr51Nq3w
got caught by a couple of strays which sucks, but I've only made it to stage 5 loop 1 twice now. I'm not a great shmupper by any means. Sorry for the crap quality.

Zeth

I've been hacking away at Futari BL Original for over a month now but I've started to hit a score wall. I just can't survive stage 5 with 100k+ counter. I usually bomb the counter to sub 100k to survive the stage 4 boss but after that I can't manage to top my score unless I do really well over 100k in the last stage.

I find the game to be incredible really. It didn't take very long to 1CC, but as you get better and better at scoring, it becomes more and more difficult. I'll probably continue working on it because I've grown to love it so much. Being my first serious shmup, I'm fascinated by the way you progress in playing it. It's really a beautiful thing to know every single moment of every stage by muscle memory (with lots of improvisation, of course). Every time I boot it up I get this amazing feeling of familiarity. I'm finding it difficult to move on/choose another shmup. I'm considering DS2X and DFK now, but I can't get into the groove. I'll need to dedicate some serious time to improve.

Yes Boss!

So I'm looking for a shmup that could help me for the gap between Deathsmiles and DDP. Having a EU360, I know that there's not many choices. I'm really looking for a Danmaku. So if you have any advices, I was interested in Akai Katana and Mushihime Sama Futari but I don't really know the difficulty of the games.

Not Cave but I'd recommend Trouble Witches Neo (XBLA, kinda like Espgaluda and Deathsmiles mixed) or Eschatos (J-360, but cheap and region-free). Both are chock-full of content and tons of modes, difficulties. Too bad Raiden Fighters Aces is not available in EU.

shaowebb

FYI, but there is another thread dedicated to non-Cave developed shmups.

after 1CCing mushihimesama HD original mode a couple of months ago, I haven't really shmupped. Last week I actually started to try and play Ketsui seriously. I've maybe thrown 25 attempts into the arcade mode in the past few years and have been turned off by the extreme difficulty, so I actually tried X-mode which was a breath of fresh air.

I've maybe sunk about 10 attempts into X-mode so far, but this was my first run at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=88ukr51Nq3w
got caught by a couple of strays which sucks, but I've only made it to stage 5 loop 1 twice now. I'm not a great shmupper by any means. Sorry for the crap quality.

Oooh cool. Thanks for this. I've just kind of danced between the only shmup threads I knew about for stuff like that. Thanks for the link.

BTW anyone here have Deathsmiles 1 and 2? I got the first one, but never took the plunge on the second one. I know it looks solid, but which of the two seems the best overall?

danmaku

BTW anyone here have Deathsmiles 1 and 2? I got the first one, but never took the plunge on the second one. I know it looks solid, but which of the two seems the best overall?

Hard to say. DS2 looks like crap and I think it has worse bosses and patterns compared to DS1. On the other hand, the scoring system is better in DS2, and playing for score is more fun and less punishing (if you miss an instant recharge in DS1, you run is fucked). If you find it at a reasonable price, get it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Oooh cool. Thanks for this. I've just kind of danced between the only shmup threads I knew about for stuff like that. Thanks for the link.

I like DS2X (both arcade and X mode) better than DS1. Arcade mode port is kinda jank though.

I actually think DS2 looks better than DS1 too. DS1 is really really ugly imo, by far Cave's worst usage of prerendered sprites. :<

Yes Boss!

Bummer. Is this true, there are only between 500-900 people on the leaderboards for Mushihimesama? Seems low. Finally connected my XBOX to online and was shocked.

SOME-MIST

and it's embarrassing that I barely make the top 50 in mushihimesama ver. 1.5. But yeah, not many people have been playing it.

Finally got some free money and I'm thinking about buy Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets. What's a good price range to buy it for and should I buy the regular version or the LE?

Guiz

Finally got some free money and I'm thinking about buy Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets. What's a good price range to buy it for and should I buy the regular version or the LE?

I found it several times around 80$ and 120$ for the limited edition new. I also found some pre-owned around 60$.

I found it several times around 80$ and 120$ for the limited edition new. I also found some pre-owned around 60$.

Doesn't the LE come with the Cave DLC? I remember hearing that and some confirmation is needed. And I guess where would be the non-eBay place to purchase it?

meppi

I would certainly recommend getting a copy with the DLC included.
Muchi Muchi Pork is simply brilliant once you get into it and having the extra Matsuri mode is the icing on the cake. :)

I'm so looking forward to my second 2 week vacation which is coming up in a couple of days.
Can't wait to get back into the shooter groove and dedicate some serious time to them again.

So sad to heard Muchihimesama id doing so bad...
There never were many people on the boards when I played it for the first couple of weeks, but I figured it was still early. Guess not. :(

Doesn't the LE come with the Cave DLC? I remember hearing that and some confirmation is needed. And I guess where would be the non-eBay place to purchase it?
I'm not quite sure how that works. I got the regular edition and it did come with a DLC code...
As for import shops, I tend to use Videogameimports from the UK, who are a bit pricey, but do deliver quality.

danmaku

The DLC was a bonus included with the first print run of both versions. If you want it you need to search for a copy with an unused code, and it won't be cheap. LE has just a different artwork/packaging and a soundtrack CD.

meppi

The DLC was a bonus included with the first print run of both versions. If you want it you need to search for a copy with an unused code, and it won't be cheap. LE has just a different artwork/packaging and a soundtrack CD.

Are you sure the game has different artwork for the regular and LE editions?
I think I have the regular one but it's the same cover as the LE ones I can find around the web.

Yes Boss!

and it's embarrassing that I barely make the top 50 in mushihimesama ver. 1.5. But yeah, not many people have been playing it.

Yeah, I only really play Novice but even my offline score on Normal Novice would put in the top ten...which means NOBODY is playing it, lol. I think my first upload was 54.

Game is tops. Thinking I like it better than Futari even. Got to play a few rounds in the japanese arcade two weeks ago, made it to level 4!

Really hoping it gets localized. Really awesome music, Arrange music is so bizarre. So ill-fitting.

What are the differences between Dodonpachi Dafukkatsu 1.5 and 1.51? I've read about a different scoring system, button layout and that it has only one loop. Is there anything else and how is the scoring system?

SOME-MIST

Yeah, I only really play Novice but even my offline score on Normal Novice would put in the top ten...which means NOBODY is playing it, lol. I think my first upload was 54.

Game is tops. Thinking I like it better than Futari even. Got to play a few rounds in the japanese arcade two weeks ago, made it to level 4!

Really hoping it gets localized. Really awesome music, Arrange music is so bizarre. So ill-fitting.
it's probably my favorite 360 cave game (at least top 3), but I think I had a more difficult time with original mode in mushihimesama hd than futari. Stage 3 and 4 always mess me up, and then 5 is pretty insane. Haven't been able to experience it in an arcade, but I'm sure it's awesome.

I think the reason that the scoreboard is so vacant is a mix of people not owning a japanese 360, people who don't upload scores, and people who already own the ps2 version and can care less about paying $80-90 for ver. 1.5.

I can also guarantee that my top 50 score has been passed up since I'm not that great at scoring and was only focusing on a 1CC anyways.

Bururian

I'm looking for a shmup. I played it once for a few hours at an arcade in a convention about a year ago, but I can't remember the name. All I do remember about it was that you were girls riding machines, and saving pigs were involved.

Bummer. Is this true, there are only between 500-900 people on the leaderboards for Mushihimesama? Seems low. Finally connected my XBOX to online and was shocked.

I can't exactly remember how the leaderboards work with Cave games, but don't you have to play on Score Attack to upload a score? I know I always play on Arcade Mode in the Cave ports. Just a habit I guess.

Top Bottom