• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

SOME-MIST

for almost all of them, yes. the majority of those score attack modes don't allow you to use continues and that's one reason why. I usually play in score attack mode just in case I have an insane score run.

Yes Boss!

I can't exactly remember how the leaderboards work with Cave games, but don't you have to play on Score Attack to upload a score? I know I always play on Arcade Mode in the Cave ports. Just a habit I guess.

Score attack, yep. You get locked out of options and stuff to level the field.

One thing I like about Mushi is that in offline the quick resets to the beginning of the current level just as you entered it. Great for practice. This might be the case for all the Cave releases, don't really know since I usually play Score Attack.

BriBri

Cave iOS/Android digital sale tomorrow (Saturday) all week. Haven't got the direct link to hand but it's on the Cave World blog.

meppi

Cave iOS/Android digital sale tomorrow (Saturday) all week. Haven't got the direct link to hand but it's on the Cave World blog.

Typical. I bought Dodonpachi HD for my iPad only yesterday, since I only had the iPod version it seems.
This always seems to happen...

Anyway, been playing quite a bit of Mushi and have bettered the scores on 360 mode for Original. Well besides the crazy Iconoclast score. ;P
Played a bit of Arrange mode and forgot how much fun it was.
Sad to see no other high-scores for most other modes though.

Moved on to Futari and trying get a bit higher in the rankings as it seems quite a few people have been playing this in the past month or two. :)
Again, tried out the Arrange mode as well and it's something really crazy. Probably way too easy on Original, but still a lot of fun. Played it on Maniac as well and I think tonight I'll try the God mode.

Yes Boss!

Finally got my supergun that I slow-boated to europe a month ago from CA. Got it all hooked up via RGB and a XRGB Mini on the big HDTV. Everything works great, looks great, and I finally got to try Mushi Tama. Ha, different game. Happy I've got it though. The Sigma stick is incredible. Gonna be great for arcade games. Not Cave but I also got a PGM and Demon Front. Gonna have the mother send that pronto now that I know everything looks and plays great on the system.

0BDE6EC3-2967-4729-9E5B-023650A922F9-4550-000004A37919551A.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Didn't they say Mushi HD was their last 360 port? Hopefully they changed their mind.

I'm really hoping for an Ibara port. I've been playing MMP a lot lately, it's really clicking with me. Yagawa is cool.

Wow, nice. The other 8 stage events are all for upcoming games, so I hope this means something is coming from Cave. Maybe a port of Saidaioujou for the 360?

meppi

Cave is having a stage show at Microsoft's Thanksgiving event this weekend.

Thank God.
After DCharlie mentioning that Cave is dead in the Psygnosis thread, I was starting to get very worried.
Especially since things haven't been going very well for them as of late.

Encouraging to hear a bit of good news for a change.

japtor

This is going to be something ridiculous like an announcement of Kinect and Smart Glass support for their existing games isn't it.

danmaku

Thank God.
After DCharlie mentioning that Cave is dead in the Psygnosis thread, I was starting to get very worried.
Especially since things haven't been going very well for them as of late.

Encouraging to hear a bit of good news for a change.

Nah, they're not dead. They announced an arcade version of Akai Katana Shin for the Nesica system, and hopefully there are more games incoming. Too bad they don't want to fix DDP Saidaioujou, probably because it would be too expensive to replace all the PCBs (like they did with Futari and DFK... they never learn, do they?). A 360 port with a 1.5 mode would be awesome.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm hoping for overseas Instant Brain, if only for Kinect comatible DoDonPachi.

IMO they should just put Mushi HD and that port of DoDonPachi on XBLA.

Or am I really missing out by not trying Instant Brain? :p

SOME-MIST

Wow, nice. The other 8 stage events are all for upcoming games, so I hope this means something is coming from Cave. Maybe a port of Saidaioujou for the 360?
YES! I would kill for a saidaioujou port. I was watching some of drunkninja's live feed with the SDOJ pcb in Chicago, and the game looked so awesome.

New game or port from Cave. Would happily take either! If it's the latter, Espgaluda would be my preference.
Let's go the Muchi Muchi Pork+Pink Sweets route then and make it ESPGaluda+ESP.Ra.De. :D
or this, but only if it's ESPGaluda+ESP.Ra.De bundle since I already have espgaluda on ps2. I'd prefer the dangun feveron port that was trashed or something new.

I'd love for those without J360s to be able to play and experience the awesomeness of Mushi HD/ver. 1.5, but I'm really hoping for an announcement for something new (console related).

kaioshade

Too bad they don't want to fix DDP Saidaioujou, probably because it would be too expensive to replace all the PCBs (like they did with Futari and DFK... they never learn, do they?). A 360 port with a 1.5 mode would be awesome.

I am not too privy to SDOJ information, may i ask what is wrong with the game? From what i understood, i heard nothing but good things about it.

jbueno

IMO they should just put Mushi HD and that port of DoDonPachi on XBLA.

Or am I really missing out by not trying Instant Brain? :p

I'm not really into visual novel or whatever genre IB is, I really just want to play DDP on 360. I don't really know how good or bad IB is.

danmaku

I am not too privy to SDOJ information, may i ask what is wrong with the game? From what i understood, i heard nothing but good things about it.

Someone discovered a trick in stage 5 to jack up the score to insane levels (I think the current record is about 1.2 trillions!) and that's quite stupid because, if you can do that, 99% of your score will come from a small section of stage 5. The rest of the game becomes worthless, unless you're going for the WR. It's still unclear if it's a bug or a feature, the game doesn't counterstop so it may be working as intended, but I doubt that. IMHO, they just don't want to replace the PCBs.

Anyway, it's just a minor complaint. Only the high level players will be able to exploit the trick, everyone else (including me) will play the game as normal. It would be nice to have a rebalanced version, though.

I'm not getting my hopes up for this event. It seems much too soon to announce a SDOJ port, but on the other hand, waiting won't do them any good if they want to release it for the 360. /shrug

There's a bug in expert mode that causes your score to skyrocket once you reach a certain GP value. AFAIK it can only be done on stage 5, and you have to play extremely well to do it, so Cave must think it's not worth fixing.

edit: beaten, I should refresh before posting.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I'm not really into visual novel or whatever genre IB is, I really just want to play DDP on 360. I don't really know how good or bad IB is.

I dunno, that seems like a tedious way to play DDP. Not sure if you were aware of how to unlock it, but EOJ wrote a guide for the game. TL;DR:
You need to take three secret pictures while playing, one of which is at the very end of the game, then go through some kind of extra scenario in the photo gallery. According to the Japanese wiki, the game is 10 to 15 hours long even if you skip all dialogue and just do the photography parts.
There are no chapter selects either, so if you screw up, hope you have a save from before then.

IMO, unless you're quite a skilled player or have no access to PSN you'd probably be fine with the PSN release.

Tain

Yeah, there's a lot of reason to keep expectations low, I think. Could just be a new VN. Any chance it's something Windows Phone 7 related?

jbueno

I dunno, that seems like a tedious way to play DDP. Not sure if you were aware of how to unlock it, but EOJ wrote a guide for the game. TL;DR:
You need to take three secret pictures while playing, one of which is at the very end of the game, then go through some kind of extra scenario in the photo gallery. According to the Japanese wiki, the game is 10 to 15 hours long even if you skip all dialogue and just do the photography parts.
There are no chapter selects either, so if you screw up, hope you have a save from before then.

IMO, unless you're quite a skilled player or have no access to PSN you'd probably be fine with the PSN release.

Fuck that, I'm getting a PCB!

I actually have the PS1 version disc, but it feels odd. I play mostly for survival though, I suck at chaining in DDP titles and thus no real chance of a good score.

Zeth

Don't want to get my hopes up too much, but still pretty exciting.

Kind of OT but probably the best place to ask: Anyone have suggestions for Android shmups? I like Shogun but played it a lot on iOS already. Skyforce games are ok. And there are quite a few janky ass danmaku apps.

japtor

Yeah, there's a lot of reason to keep expectations low, I think. Could just be a new VN. Any chance it's something Windows Phone 7 related?
What's a VN?

Anyway yeah I'm not expecting anything significant. Is it a general MS event or Xbox focused one? Just wondering whether WP7 would be involved if it were the latter (barring something with Smart Glass). Anyone know how WP7 sales are in Japan? Might be a bigger market for them than local 360s, not that that's saying much.

jbug617

Banned
What's a VN?

Anyway yeah I'm not expecting anything significant. Is it a general MS event or Xbox focused one? Just wondering whether WP7 would be involved if it were the latter (barring something with Smart Glass). Anyone know how WP7 sales are in Japan? Might be a bigger market for them than local 360s, not that that's saying much.

it's an Xbox event. It's like a replacement event for not going to TGS.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
good as place as any - anyone want to buy a blue case DoDonPachi DOJ arcade pcb?

i have about 200 other boards, but that's another thread of sales.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So wait, when exactly is this thing happening? I know we shouldn't get our hopes up, but Cave did say a while back that they had like... 3 shmups to talk about. So like... maybe 2 who-gives-a-fuck mobile ports and 1 360 game if we're super lucky?

Yes Boss!

Awesome news.

Any of the Cave faithful now exactly how many titles are left?

Ibara and Kuru are the two I always want. Those two released would make J-360 up there in Saturn territory for me.

SOME-MIST

Awesome news.

Ibara and Kuru are the two I always want. Those two released would make J-360 up there in Saturn territory for me.
I'd want something that I don't already own the ps2 version of: Dangun Fever. Tho for the upcoming announcement I was really hoping for SDOJ :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'd want something that I don't already own the ps2 version of: Dangun Fever. Tho for the upcoming announcement I was really hoping for SDOJ :D
There was an announcement of a Dangun Feveron like 2 years ago, but nothing ever really came after that. It was supposed to be by M2, too. Wonder what happened to it?

Also Ibara PS2 is awful, doesn't count :(

I wish they would drop a few other of their region-locked titles on US/EU Games on Demand at the very least.

Which ones ? there's like muchi pork+pink sweets, mushi1HD (was just released, so it's a bit soon) and that's it. (and instant brain)
Ketsui and DDP Daiôjô aren't published by Cave.

Awesome news.

Ibara+Kuro, Dangun Feveron (xbla port by M2 has been ready for like EVER, Cave dropped it because Guwange didn't do well enough in their eyes), ESPGaluda1 (is available on ps2 though, but yeah, I want it on 360), ESP.Ra.De. (Progear no Arashi, not gonna happen, Capcom has the rights to that and Cave isn't 100%happy with how their first hori-shmup turned out. (ho and Mushihime-tama which is a puzzle game))

As much as I'd love full-fledged ports of those, aside from and Ibara collection, I'm pretty sure they plan on going the Instant Brain way, and dropping cheap barebone ports of those in some new non-shmup games (since that's pretty much what Asada is saying on Famitsu/Cave-Stg) :'(

Top Bottom