• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most comments I get on best smelling cologne is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Gozer-

1004447_PWWPM1598_A_400.jpg

I've been told I smell great in this.

I don't care for the scent myself.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As long as you go easy on the cologne, it's all good.

I witnessed a med student getting reamed the fuck out for smelling like a perfume shop by one of the surgeons the other day. Don't be that guy.

EVOL 100%

This is my everyday frag

Smells quite bitter and dark it's hell, but apparently people like it on me. Love it.

I'd like to get Black Aoud by Montaile for something more dramatic and punchy though. While the Encre Noire is great for more quiet evenings, it'd be nice to have something with more presence.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Also, regarding the entire purpose of the thread, am I alone in not caring too much about what others think of the stuff I wear but rather doing it for personal pleasure?

After watching lots of reaction vids, I've come to the conclusion that fragrance preference is too tied to memory. There are crowd pleasers but I'd rather wear something unique I like to smell on myself, basically. And if someone likes it, hey, having been genuine in my fragrance preference, its something to connect over.

This is a cool thread.

Have no idea where to start with colognes and how to choose them. Will do some reading.

Also regarding wearing them, what's the best method? Spray a mist in front of you and walk and linger in it? Spray directly inside both wrists and neck? Somewhere else?

I really, really dislike the "overbearingly doused in too much cologne" faux pas.

As long as you go easy on the cologne, it's all good.

I witnessed a med student getting reamed the fuck out for smelling like a perfume shop by one of the surgeons the other day. Don't be that guy.

Anytime I go out at night, I douse myself in cologne to make certain my scent is noticed and lasts.

Obviously, you should take it easy at school or work.

BlueTsunami

I think I went overboard today. I put on a bunch of samples, took a shower thinking I'd be alright, theyd wash off. Go into work, a cold breeze hit me head on and into a dude behind me. He ended up making this ooooOOGh snorting sound. I was a walking, talking perfumed natural disaster.

This is my everyday frag

Smells quite bitter and dark it's hell, but apparently people like it on me. Love it.

I'd like to get Black Aoud by Montaile for something more dramatic and punchy though. While the Encre Noire is great for more quiet evenings, it'd be nice to have something with more presence.

Love the darkness of Encre Noire. Good rainy night scent. Seems to vibe well on those battleship grey days too. Mossy forest. All about that vetiver.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Whatever the Wifey says smells good on me. She bought me what I currently use cause she likes the smell on me. So I wear that. Currently it's Nautica. Before this it was Polo.

Ah, so you are that guy. Don't be that guy.

LOL I'd be with you, if it didn't play an integral part of heightening sexual tension and making women fondly remember me afterwards. Not to mention it's not as bad in nighttime places like bars, clubs, lounges, strip clubs, etc... due to all the other competing smells in those areas.

Thac0

Neo Member
I wear Caron's Yatagan. I love it. Very unique, though it's not something you're going to get complmented on, I don't think. Definitely wear it more for myself.

BlueTsunami

Also regarding wearing them, what's the best method? Spray a mist in front of you and walk and linger in it? Spray directly inside both wrists and neck? Somewhere else?

You typically spray on pulse points. The sides of the neck, wrists, nook of your inner elbows. You want to hit spots that are open to the air and are warm to heat up the juice which developes the scent and radiates it. Also walking into a mist just wastes it, better to concentrate it on a point. Back of the neck is good too, which leaves a scent trail.

The amount is also dependant on how powerful the scent youre using is. For something like, Tom Ford Amber Absolute, you want just two. But a lighter, citrus scent you would need more to project. Requires a familiarity with the scent.

Givency Very Irresistable. I don't wear it often, but I always get compliments. Also it's the first cologne where I've been able to smell each individual component listed in the description, but can also smell them all combined. It has a sweet smell, almost like chocolate, but not at all. Woodys, citrusy, and more and I love it.

SwolBro

Banned
1004447_PWWPM1598_A_400.jpg

I've been told I smell great in this.

I don't care for the scent myself.

someone got me this as a christmas gift. i stuck it in the bathroom and never used it. friends that come over and need cologne use it. it's not very good, smells like cheap cologne to me.

This was the BOMB back in my high school days. that was a long time ago mind you. i couldn't bring myself to wear it again though.

Gilby

I'm convinced that a percentage of people, myself included, are really sensitive to whichever chemical is commonly used as the medium in aerosol deoderant/cologne.

The brand/scent/amount doesn't matter, they all have that same shitty smell to me. I wish I wasn't this way, some guy sat down next to me at a restaurant the other day and it completely ruined my meal. My friends meanwhile think I'm being weird/douchey.

zeioIIDX

I wear cool water because I'm a 12 year old

Lmfao. I bought Nautica Voyage for myself for Father's Day back in 2010 and I've worn it ever since. I get complimented on that SO much, even dudes have been like "Yo, what do you have on? That stuff smells great!" I used to rock Kenneth Cole Black in high school, that stuff is amazing too. Kenneth Cole Reaction is great but I got tired of the scent and if I smell it now, it just brings back crappy memories of the summer after high school graduation when I broke up with this girl I really, really liked. Anyway, Nautica Voyage FTW!

TheFlow

Banned
I have aqua, dolce, and Versace plus some other nice smelling stuff by famous people like jay-z gold which is incredible but I always get the most attention with Bod.

Honest to God I put on that 7 dollar Walmart body spray and people go crazy. They ask who it is by and I just go Walmart

I have aqua, dolce, and Versace plus some other nice smelling stuff by famous people like jay-z gold which is incredible but I always get the most attention with Bod.

Honest to God I put on that 7 dollar Walmart body spray and people go crazy. They ask who it is by and I just go Walmart

In my experiences, it's less about the cologne itself and more how the cologne smells after being sprayed upon your body which are two very different smells. The key is finding the right one that drives people crazy (sexually aroused) after they smell it off of you.

Looks like you found that one, and lucky for you it's cheap.

The Argus

o.6188.jpg

The greatest. Pure testorine, not overbearing. I get people asking me what it is everytime I wear it. I'm a one spray kinda guy, I hate it when you can smell a dudes cologne when just passing by, so trashy.

TheFlow

Banned
In my experiences, it's less about the cologne itself and more how the cologne smells after being sprayed upon your body which are two very different smells. The key is finding the right one that drives people crazy (sexually aroused) after they smell it off of you.

Looks like you find that one, and lucky for you it's cheap.
Wooh! And yea it is all I wear now. I save the fancy stuff for special occasions.

I bought my gf gucci bamboo because I loved the smell.

BlueTsunami

https://youtu.be/XTnr2aGnRLQ

In this vid the wife actually prefers a $5? Cologne the dude put in as a joke and is meh on a $200 Amouge scent. This is definitely one hobby or scenario where money doesnt necessarily equal better. Personal preferance plays a huge part with something as subjective. May as well be more subjective than music.

When you throw down big bucks for a scent it has to be because you dig it, not because you'll think it'll get better/more reactions.

TheFlow

Banned

In this vid the wife actually prefers a $5? Cologne the dude put in as a joke and is meh on a $200 Amouge scent. This is definitely one hobby or scenario where money doesnt necessarily equal better. Personal preferance plays a huge part with something as subjective. May as well be more subjective than music.

When you throw down big bucks for a scent it has to be because you dig it, not because you'll think it'll get better/more reactions.
Starting to see that.

Wooh! And yea it is all I wear now. I save the fancy stuff for special occasions.

I bought my gf gucci bamboo because I loved the smell.

Bruh, It's a glorious experience when you find that one. To the point where sometimes I feel like it ain't even me, but the cologne that's putting in that work anytime a woman is immediately feeling me. So much so, that I haven't even divulged my cologne I use in here because I genuinely believe it's that much of a game changer. LOL

I'm more of a results oriented person, and care more about the reception a particular cologne has from other women than what I think of it, and there's certainly differences in responses from different colognes as I'm certain it is for other people with other colognes. After trying out so many over the years, I've found that one that as soon as I get close, if she's already physically attracted to me; than she's about to get turned on as well. LOL

TheFlow

Banned
Bruh, It's a glorious experience when you find that one. To the point where sometimes I feel like it ain't even me, but the cologne that's putting in that work anytime a woman is immediately feeling me. So much so, that I haven't even divulged my cologne I use in here because I genuinely believe it's that much of a game changer. LOL

I'm more of a results oriented person, and care more about the reception a particular cologne has from other women than what I think of it, and there's certainly differences in responses from different colognes as I'm certain it is for other people with other colognes. After trying out so many over the years, I've found that one that as soon as get close, if she's already physically attracted to me; than she's about to get turned on as well. LOL
Fucking dead

BlueTsunami

I'm more of a results oriented person, and care more about the reception a particular cologne has from other women than what I think of it, and there's certainly differences in responses from different colognes as I'm certain it is for other people with other colognes. After trying out so many over the years, I've found that one that as soon as I get close, if she's already physically attracted to me; than she's about to get turned on as well. LOL

I can get down with this. Every cabinet deserves a crowd/woman pleasure. Its usually some vanilla cinnamon juice thats smells edible as fug or a fresh scent.

Fucking dead

Bruh, I got corny ass lines that go with it that almost always work too. As soon as I get really close, and she says something to the effect of, "Mmmmmm, you smell good". I hit her with the "Girl, I taste even better, gone and git your some" as I tilt my head and expose my neck. Now this statement is bait setup like a dare challenging her to do something spontaneous. Often times they bite and start kissing that neck especially in alcohol fueled social situations where they're more likely acting on instinct rather than any thought process.

If that doesn't work, and they're hesitant; I then him 'em with the "Girl, don't be scared, you better git it while the gittin' is good"; which tends to get the rest of the tentative ones. Worst case scenario, if none of it works; the whole thing can be played up for big laughs at the sheer boldness and hilarity of the lines which you can use to your benefit and keep her laughing by adding more corny lines like "Ok, it's your loss", "Girl, you missing out", or get real cocky with it and say something like, "Damn, you won the lottery up in here, and got offered the grand prize and you turned it down", "I see you, Miss Thing". LOL

riotous

Banned
I've been wearing the same deodorant for decades for a similar reason lightskintwin; the amount of times girls have said "wow you just smell good" before diving right in to first base I can't even count, and a lot of those times I'm not wearing any cologne.

I've been wearing the same deodorant for decades for a similar reason lightskintwin; the amount of times girls have said "wow you just smell good" before diving right in to first base I can't even count, and a lot of those times I'm not wearing any cologne.

Damn, what type of deodorant are you wearing?

*Brings out note pad*

You typically spray on pulse points. The sides of the neck, wrists, nook of your inner elbows. You want to hit spots that are open to the air and are warm to heat up the juice which developes the scent and radiates it. Also walking into a mist just wastes it, better to concentrate it on a point. Back of the neck is good too, which leaves a scent trail.

The amount is also dependant on how powerful the scent youre using is. For something like, Tom Ford Amber Absolute, you want just two. But a lighter, citrus scent you would need more to project. Requires a familiarity with the scent.
Huh, I'll have to use these tips next time I'm on a date. Thanks.

Peltz

So I'm curious about something... do guys wear cologne to get chicks? Or do they wear them for themselves?

I mean, not to assume that y 'all are some monolithic hivemind, just curious what the motives are.

Cologne is just part of grooming. Like showering, shaving, trimming toe nails, wearing clean clothes, etc. You want just a hint, not an atmosphere so that someone who is very very physically close to you senses it but doesn't necessarily know it's cologne. It's just freshness with a little hint of something.

Most dudes wear it wrong and it smells like they're doused in it.

BlueTsunami

Did you try Black Aoud before? I'd really like to try it, but it does seem like a pretty risky frag.

Damn, I should have gotten a sample of it. I'm finding I'm not the biggest fan of Oud but with all these scents I dont doubt there must be one out there for me. Also want to see Montale fairs as a perfumer for me.

On another note, I have a sample of Grand Soire coming in

God Enel

Besides armani code this is my new favorite.. fucking amazing. Dont know if it was posted already as i didnt check all ten pages.

dior_sauvage_new.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bruh, I got corny ass lines that go with it that almost always work too. As soon as I get really close, and she says something to the effect of, "Mmmmmm, you smell good". I hit her with the "Girl, I taste even better, gone and git your some" as I tilt my head and expose my neck. Now this statement is bait setup like a dare challenging her to do something spontaneous. Often times they bite and start kissing that neck especially in alcohol fueled social situations where they're more likely acting on instinct rather than any thought process.

If that doesn't work, and they're hesitant; I then him 'em with the "Girl, don't be scared, you better git it while the gittin' is good"; which tends to get the rest of the tentative ones. Worst case scenario, if none of it works; the whole thing can be played up for big laughs at the sheer boldness and hilarity of the lines which you can use to your benefit and keep her laughing by adding more corny lines like "Ok, it's your loss", "Girl, you missing out", or get real cocky with it and say something like, "Damn, you won the lottery up in here, and got offered the grand prize and you turned it down", "I see you, Miss Thing". LOL

And then you make them toast spread with the finest butter in all of France.

So I was watching an ASAP Rocky interview with Snoop and he basically answered the question on what his favorite cologne is the same way I did.

https://youtu.be/vnAYWaDEbNY?t=945

He knows like I do that the right one gives you super powers. LOL

He's a famous, charismatic multimillionaire. Dude could rub rancid Crisco on his nards and chicks would tell him he smelled like victory.

hwalker84

I got 4 samples of MFK recently, Grand Soir among them, but for me it was Lumière Noire Pour Homme that was the standout. Petit Matin was nice as well, very "early morning Paris".

Nice to see Encre Noire earlier in the thread as well, I love that one.

Also, regarding the entire purpose of the thread, am I alone in not caring too much about what others think of the stuff I wear but rather doing it for personal pleasure?

Don't think I smelled that one. We don't have a Neiman Marcus here. When I went to Boston I was there specifically for Oud Satin Mood. I smelled it and I was done. Though my nose was blown out from all the fragrances after that that nothing stood out. I've since grabbed Aqua Universalis Forte and Grand Soir. Petit Matin was also fantastic but I thought it served the same purpose that Aqua Universalis served.

They got another coming in 2017 that I can't wait to smell:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Maison-Francis-Kurkdjian/Aqua-Celestia-42268.html

Matticers

Always get comments about how good it smells.

This is one of the first colognes that I bought after getting back into it after seeing this topic. Apparently it smells similar to A&F Fierce which is generally liked but I've never used that so I can't compare. But I have gotten multiple compliments on this one already.

I like Nautica Voyage during the summer too. Good cheap cologne to buy if you're new to it and don't want to spend much.

I'd really like to try some Aventus Creed but dat price tho. I'll have to sample it first. I'd also like to get Acqua di Gio but I feel like it might be too common or too easily recognizable. I remember a lot of people wearing that in the late 90s/early 2000s. Nobody wants to potentially smell like a previous boyfriend to a woman... but I guess it's hard to go wrong with a good scent so that shouldn't matter too much. It's the risk you take.

Biske

Never wear cologne.

Maybe it's cause I don't care or maybe it's cause every cologne wearer I've personally known was a self absorbed douche bag. (no offense guys) and it rings at excessively fake.

I get it, sometimes a lady friend or love interest has that amazing scent, but they bought it, smell has nothing to do with who they are.

May as well be plastic surgery or hair dye, which is both fine, but just be yourself, eh.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Never wear cologne.

Maybe it's cause I don't care or maybe it's cause every cologne wearer I've personally known was a self absorbed douche bag. (no offense guys) and it rings at excessively fake.

I get it, sometimes a lady friend or love interest has that amazing scent, but they bought it, smell has nothing to do with who they are.

May as well be plastic surgery or hair dye, which is both fine, but just be yourself, eh.

Lol, this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom