• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The neoGAF E3 2013 Rumour Tracking List

Xbone rumors blow PS4 rumors away. E3 is going to be great.

The rumors about ME2 and Hawken being console exclusive are pretty huge, I'll agree. I'm indifferent about KI but I know a lot of older Rareware fans will have genuine erections for it-- just hope it's not a rose-colored glasses affair and that Rare tries to genuinely move the series forward and not just KI circa '94 with 2013 graphics and tons of character DLC.

You're right though, E3 is going to be fantastic this year. Definite Ali vs. Frazier potential, given the stakes.

Woggerman

Banned
In what way? final fantasy alone trumps Xbone's list.
Final Fantasy has not really been a factor in the US in a very long time. Maybe this time will be different. But sales have trailed off the last few years due to FF being mediocre.
Comparing that to the resurrection of a new Mirror's Edge or a new Killer Instinct or exclusive new IP's from Respawn or Insomniac is not even in the same ball park.

Final Fantasy has not really been a factor in the US in a very long time. Maybe this time will be different. But sales have trailed off the last few years due to FF being mediocre.
Comparing that to the resurrection of a new Mirror's Edge or a new Killer Instinct or exclusive new IP's from Respawn or Insomniac is not even in the same ball park.

FF13 did 1.3 million in its first NPD month..... Mirrors Edge meanwhile:

ea-sales.png

No it does not. ME2, League of Legends, Titan, Hawken, KI, Insomniac IP and Fallout 4 are massive announcements, and destroy the PS4 list.

If all of that comes true, then you're right.

Having said that, it's very unlikely that LoL will come to either platform-- Translation of UI implementation alone is problematic on the console, and given that LoL would be a major feather in MS' desired eSports cap, those kind of things would have to be addressed in order to make the competition fair. And Fallout 4 an exclusive for either platform? Never going to happen. Ever.

Okay, interesting Xbox One list... This might seem odd, but I'm more excited about Halo 4 again but this time on the Xbox One. :D It's my favorite Halo title of them all, so I honestly wouldn't mind an Xbox One remake in the least, this time with all the terminals brought into the main game as opposed to being done the way they were in Halo 4.

The rest of that stuff, though not all, is interesting. I've never been a big fan of Insomniac besides the Ratchet games, so hopefully they're doing something along those lines. They need to stay away from shooters, because I honestly don't think they're any good at making them. To be honest, they're quite terrible at them, imo.

Wasn't paying attention to that Hawken game at all till this thread. Seems like it could be a fun little distraction of a game. Mirror's Edge 2 would be nice pick up, no doubt.

Dead Rising 3 as a next gen exclusive would be a pretty great grab. It'd be a fantastic choice to show off the new Xbox, and is obviously insanely fun to boot.

And Final Fantasy, while I'll always pay attention to the next FF game, with jrpgs being my favorite genre, the Final Fantasy games have simply lost a ton of relevance, because they simply haven't been as good as you expect them to be in the last couple years. That said, they'll likely always be good to get excitement running wild, though. But as far as quality is concerned, the last good final fantasy game I played was FF 10, and the last great final fantasy game I played was ff9.

Killer Instinct seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I would pray that Microsoft try and turn it into something other than a fighter, but somehow try and turn it into some kind of awesome third person action game if possible, I don't know.

Also def interested in Respawn's new game without a doubt. Last Call of Duty I bought was Modern Warfare 2. Haven't bought another since, so I wouldn't mind getting back on board with some of the original IW team.

It will be interesting if SOE decides to make the next Everquest an F2P title, particularly given the shaky start DUST 514 has had on the PS3 with that model.

It would help if Dust wasn't a steaming pile of garbage for the first few months it was in open beta. And even once out of beta it still looks like an original Xbox game with better resolution...or a PC game from 2000. CCP dropped the ball and the games popularity has nothing to do with the profit model.

I can go outside, pick up dog poop and play with it for free too, but I don't because that wouldn't be much fun either.

FF13 did 1.3 million in its first NPD month..... Mirrors Edge meanwhile:
The second game in the Toriyama Waifu Trilogy even managed 350K at launch month. It's also odd to say that Killer Instinct, which hasn't had an iteration for a long time, is more of a relevant factor than Final Fantasy. Fighting games haven't been doing that hot recently, although Injustice did well for a new IP. While the less said about the last new IP from Insomniac in terms of sales, the better. :/

Woggerman

Banned
The second game in the Toriyama Waifu Trilogy even managed 350K at launch month. It's also odd to say that Killer Instinct, which hasn't had an iteration for a long time, is more of a relevant factor than Final Fantasy. Fighting games haven't been doing that hot recently, although Injustice did well for a new IP. While the less said about the last new IP from Insomniac in terms of sales, the better. :/
I'm not saying that these games are more relevant because of their sales. I'm just saying that the prospect that these games even exist are more interesting to me. I would rather play a game that hasn't had 20 some odd iterations before it. It's truly in the eye of the beholder.

Augustus

Banned
I think you are all forgetting the other part of the Mirrors Edge rumour, that it is being built around Kinect. So you can forget about it being anything like the first game, I imagine it playing like Star Wars Kinect haha.

CCP dropped the ball and the games popularity has nothing to do with the profit model.

No, but it was the first time Sony pushed a brand with an established pedigree (even if it was in a different genre) on the PS3 with an F2P model and it really hasn't worked out for them or CCP-- and definitely for the reasons you mentioned and more; I played it for about 3 months of the beta and haven't gone back to it since. I think large scale F2P titles are still really unproven on consoles while upcoming re-releases like FFXIV offer SOE a chance to see if Sony platform supporters are still willing to back subscription models.

I think you are all forgetting the other part of the Mirrors Edge rumour, that it is being built around Kinect. So you can forget about it being anything like the first game, I imagine it playing like Star Wars Kinect haha.

Wasn't that chubs guessing than speaking from an informed postilion?

I hope to God it was. To have waited this long for a sequel only to have turn into some Kinect only mess would be heartbreaking.

No, but it was the first time Sony pushed a brand with an established pedigree (even if it was in a different genre) on the PS3 with an F2P model and it really hasn't worked out for them or CCP-- and definitely for the reasons you mentioned and more; I played it for about 3 months of the beta and haven't gone back to it since. I think large scale F2P titles are still really unproven on consoles while upcoming re-releases like FFXIV offer SOE a chance to see if Sony platform supporters are still willing to back subscription models.

I think that regardless of how well FFXIV sells SOE will still offer the new Everquest on as many platforms as makes sense. The PS4 being the only console they would logically target makes it a given. Assuming the next EQ is f2p then they should have it on as many platforms as they can to increase the potential population. Ultimately what CCP should be trying to do is move beyond Sony platform exclusivity and have Dust on more platforms. Whether that is expanding to just PC or working with Microsoft on an Xbox release is moot, even a bad f2p title will have people try it just because it has no cost barrier to enter.

Also, if you only played during the beta get the newest update released for the actual release and see if you like it any more than before. The game is still janky and busted, but if you played for a few months you may enjoy it now with all the updates they added. I still think it's a waste of time, but it's hard to release a shooter in the current marketplace that isn't on par with the gameplay of the heavyweights (CoD, Halo, BF).

sn00zer

How would people react to another Sony mascot brawler in the future?

Not one similar to PlayStation All-Stars, but more 3D oriented in the battle system, and with more focus on it being a party game rather than just a Playstation character showcase? So, for example, you have characters appearing which are popular but not necessarily Playstation legacy characters.
This Verendus guy is just full of rumors isnt he?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61040485&postcount=10141

Anything resembling a PSABR sequel...well just a Sony mascot brawler has me soo damn excited

AngryMoth

Does Verendus have any track record on rumours? Because that post linked in the OP seems very questionable. Even if they go in a completely different direction, sadly it makes zero sense for there to be a demon's souls 2.

Also is there a source on some of these MS 3rd partly exclusives (besides the respawn game)? Or is it just that we know they've got some, and those games sort of make sense. Whatever they announce, I'll be very interesting to see if they are timed exclusives or not.

Okay, interesting Xbox One list... This might seem odd, but I'm more excited about Halo 4 again but this time on the Xbox One. :D It's my favorite Halo title of them all, so I honestly wouldn't mind an Xbox One remake in the least, this time with all the terminals brought into the main game as opposed to being done the way they were in Halo 4.

Halo 4 nextgen version with tittila---*cough* tessellation.

I hope Last Guardian is on ps4, it'd make me buy one as I don't want to have to bother getting a ps3 this late. As long as the ps4 is no more than $300

It's interesting how the reactions to these rumors reveal how different the games everyone values are...

Like for me, the MS rumors don't good a candle to the PS rumors but many people are saying the exact opposite. And there are also people who seem actually excited about a Retro Studio Star Tropics game... Which to me is incredibly disappointing haha.

E3's gonna be interesting

HYDE

Banned
Lots of talk about PLanetside 2 coming to PS4
EDIT: Oh god Insomniac exclusive XB1 hurts a little

Insomniac is a shit stain shadow of what it used to be...from great titles like R&C1/2/3/F1/F2/F3 and Resistance1/2/3 to garbage such as R&C A4O/FFA and Fuse.

I am not interested in their new aims or crappy direction for their future.

Coen

I'm really bummed about all these rumors being exclusive to one console. I hoped we got rid of those in the last couple of years. Just let me enjoy your software on the console of my choice, publishers.

HeelPower

● Demon Soul's 2 in development (not sure if this or KH will be at E3, but just in case)

since when is this a major rumour ? Did I miss something or is it simply based on verendus' comment in passing about it ? Let's not make something out of pretty much nothing.No more hearts need to be broken.

Kyoufu

since when is this a major rumour ? Did I miss something or is it simply based on verendus' comment in passing about it ? Let's not make something out of pretty much nothing.No more hearts need to be broken.

Miyazaki is not working on Dark Souls 2 and from what I've heard from some legit folks he's working on a PS4 game.

No idea if it's Demon's Souls 2 though. Could be something new.

Hindle

Banned
Dark Souls is close to being a big franchise. I don't buy Miyazaki making an exclusive when he will have way more success with the inevitable next gen Dark Souls III.

flattie

After FFXIII the franchise does not hold anywhere near as much weight as it did last generation.

I agree completely, but I also think it would only take one game of the right quality to restore the franchise as a heavy weight. Maybe not to the status Squaresoft enjoyed with it in the PSX/early PS2 days, but it could certainly make the series relevant again.

I hope Sony has a few more big surprises. Versus and TLG are huge, but MS seems to be prepearing a lot of 3rd party stuff. Then again, we don't now what SSM and ND are making for the PS4 and those are Sony's top studios.

Shadders

Halo 4 Director's Cut makes a lot of sense to me. It'd be cheap to do (relatively speaking), would allow them to sell the same game again to the same people only 12 months after launch (MS corporate suits would love that) and it would help carry the playerbase over to Halo 5.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I know people think LoL will be huge because it's huge on PC.

However, is there actually anyone excited about playing LoL on consoles?
Even if they were to release DoTA2 on PS4 I would still give it a long "urghhhhhh."

(kb/m bias)

I can see that, but people had the same reservations for Minecraft 360... and that port is a HUGE success and in a short time it became by far XBLA's best selling title.

Salaadin

My wife calls it that, especially when I was playing it over and over and over going for the gold bolts. A Crack in Time is still one of my favorite games this generation.

I was hoping it was a case of your phones auto correct going insane.

ANd I agree. A Crack in Time might be Insomniacs best game.

If Microsoft/Sony were to bank roll exclusives from big, independent developers there isn't really a tonne of them Given a quick look at Wikipedia here's some of the ones I think could potentially be signed up and retain IP rights or IP exclusivity like Gears of War.

4A Games - Just off Metro - Have PS4 dev kits for the next gen version of Last Light.
5th Cell - Probably don't have the staff for a retail exclusive (outside of scribblenauts) but digital is possible.
Avalanche - Working on next gen - Have multiple teams - Working on Just Cause 3 and probably Mad Max
Bohemia Interactive - Someone has to pick up Day Z for consoles.
Bugbear - Have a next gen project in development - Probably a racing game.
CD Projekt - Witcher 3 is definitely coming to PS4 but no publisher yet. Cyberpunk is still up in the air.
Crytek - Have Ryse for MS - Homefront 2 has no publisher announced - Crysis 3 team is onto something else - Crytek Austin are probably too new to announce something.
Double Fine - They seem mad for the self funding right now so I doubt we'll see a full blown exclusive unless someone drops the money on Psychonauts 2 - They do have a third team working on something unknown.
Epic - Have Fortnite in development which will probably end up some where -One of the UE4 demos will probably turn into something.
From Software - Making Dark Souls 2 - Probably have something else in the works.
Frontier - Don't think they're working on anything now - Have been doing a lot of Kinect stuff in the past.
Gearbox - They're pretty big now so that I could see someone going for them - Probably working on at least Borderlands and Brothers in Arms.
Harmonix- Have a load of stuff in development and have a pretty great track record - I'd guess we'll at least see Dance Central One from them.
Insomniac - Rumoured Xbone exclusive - Wouldn't surprise me to see a Ratchet movie tie in game.
Mercury Steam - Lords of Shadow 2 - Not sure if they're large enough to develop 2 games concurrently.
Oddworld Inhabitants - JAW is pumping out Odd world games all over the place - Very vocal about preferring Sony over MS
Obsidian - Microsoft were rumoured to cancel an Obsidian exclusive
Q Entertainment - Probably working on some kind of music game.
Q Software - Making a Pixel Junk game for PC
Quantic Dream - Will most likely continue working with Sony.
Remedy - Quantum Break for Xbone.
Riot - Rumored LoL for Xbone.
Ruffian Games - Not working on Crackdown 3 - Are doing some work on Ryse - Probably still close to MS but have shopped prototypes to third parties.
Splash Damage - Not working with Bethesda any more - currently making a F2P shooter.
Starbreeze - Making Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and have Overkill making Payday 2 - Not sure how large they are any more.
Techland - Working on next gen - Have a few games already announced plus probably a next gen Dead Island.
TellTale - In the Zeitgeist after the Walking Dead
Terminal Reality - Finished making Activision's TWD have experience with Kinect
UNF - Probably working on Sleepy Dogs 2.
Way Forward - Same boat as 5th Cell.

If anyone has corrections, insight or theories please add/take away from what I've come up with.

It's not (or wasn't...) likely to be talked about during this e3 so no one mentioned it. But more people than verendus have heard about this.

It's not going to be anywhere near launch.

As for mirrors edge, my only contribution to that rumor is that I've been told it's not coming to sony. So if the game does exist, which i assume is true, I made the leap in logic that it was a ms exclusive. Others stating it was a ms exclusive combined with me hearing from a few times now that no one in sony has seen it on any list is the reason I'm vouching for the rumor. Process of elimination.

Also as far as I've read it's not guaranteed to be kinect... That was just chubigans giving a very realistic sounding scenario under which it would be. I don't think any of us would be shocked if EA focus tested this into a shooter of the blanket proportions though.

Top Bottom