• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

JMDoaqI.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Me personally, I think I will spring for the Media package on the coffin so I can see The Last Jedi when it comes out. Very cool.

Very cool. Very cool.

I was laughing so hard this episode, I thought I was about to die. Which is why I decided to go out and purchase my own Nerd Coffin.

Also, where's the freaking Spiderman: Homecoming trailer reaction we were promised, you hack frauds?

Rich's rant about fake nerd doesn't make sense in the context of what they are making fun of...

They are making fun of the people they claim are fake nerds, fake nerds wouldn't rant about fake nerds.... (Though I guess that could be him breaking character)

But anyway...

These videos are funny as long as you don't pretend they are making some amazing point.

Chumley

Banned
Nerd Crew is quickly approaching the point where people are going to start satirizing them for their style of satirizing YT nerd culture. Episode 4 wasn't great and a lot of the jokes fell flat.

The best part about Nerd Crew episodes is waiting for the straw that breaks the camel's back. So far it's been nerd box, Ghostbuster toy dressed up as Rey, and not dead Stan Lee.

Nerrel

Rich's rant about fake nerd doesn't make sense in the context of what they are making fun of...

They are making fun of the people they claim are fake nerds, fake nerds wouldn't rant about fake nerds.... (Though I guess that could be him breaking character)

But anyway...

These videos are funny as long as you don't pretend they are making some amazing point.

Rich is always playing it as a genuine nerd who is just barely containing his disillusionment with the show and "nerd culture." Even before this "podcast" bit was a thing: https://youtu.be/d0C_Dnt7k_0?t=18s

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nerd Crew is quickly approaching the point where people are going to start satirizing them for their style of satirizing YT nerd culture. Episode 4 wasn't great and a lot of the jokes fell flat.

I definitely get why people like it, but the comedy's often just too broad, mean-spirited, and punches down more than anything for laughs. You can chalk it up to that's just their style, but I prefer their stuff that's more along the lines of their Zookeeper trailer analysis, which doesn't really have any of those qualities but still manages to take down consumer culture and some of the other points they're generally trying to get at here. Maybe it's just everything else that's going on, but really haven't been into mean-spiritedness and snark for its own sake, which a lot of this feels like.

Chumley

Banned
I definitely get why people like it, but the comedy's often just too broad, mean-spirited, and punches down more than anything for laughs. You can chalk it up to that's just their style, but I prefer their stuff that's more along the lines of their Zookeeper trailer analysis, which doesn't really have any of those qualities but still manages to take down consumer culture and some of the other points they're generally trying to get at here. Maybe it's just everything else that's going on, but really haven't been into mean-spiritedness and snark for its own sake, which a lot of this feels like.

Yeah this is my take on it too. The less specific they get the less any of it makes sense as a satirization, and it ends up just being a weirdly hypocritical takedown that's more mean spirited than genuinely funny.

Yeah this is my take on it too. The less specific they get the less any of it makes sense as a satirization, and it ends up just being a weirdly hypocritical takedown that's more mean spirited than genuinely funny.

Yeah they're giant hypocrites... and I think their cynicism teeters on fake itself sometimes as well.

Also side note their patreon is hilarious, you don't get meaningful exclusive content until you give them 15$ a month... the tiers below that are literally photos and exclusive patreon text updates on what's coming next...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why are Funko Pop's a thing anyway? They're so bland without any sort of uniqueness. At least Nendroids are unique.

Great episode as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom