• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

Stuckmann's alright..

Yeah, the Stuckmann jab feels out of place in that video.

And then people in the comments giving him shit because there was this one time when he had a confused emotional reaction to being called out by RLM as part of a joke. It's like, if you're going to make fun of him for being a soulless marketing whore (which he's not), then why are you also making fun of him for being a human?

Yeah, the Stuckmann jab feels out of place in that video.

And then people in the comments giving him shit because there was this one time when he had a confused emotional reaction to being called out by RLM as part of a joke. It's like, if you're going to make fun of him for being a soulless marketing whore (which he's not), then why are you also making fun of him for being a human?
I disagree, the whole video was about the blur between satire of "nerd culture" and the real thing. Stuckmann looked like a complete tool in that toy unboxing clip especially spliced with the RLM parody of overreacting fans and it was hilarious.

Why are Funko Pop's a thing anyway? They're so bland without any sort of uniqueness. At least Nendroids are unique.

Great episode as always.

For the longest time I thought they were bobble heads, then my sister got some and turns out they just have oversized heads and built in design flaw where they just flop over. What is the point of them, anybody in this thread who collects them wanna give some insight?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why are Funko Pop's a thing anyway? They're so bland without any sort of uniqueness. At least Nendroids are unique.

Great episode as always.

Nendoroids have a specific, hideously ugly style. Pops have a specific, hideously ugly style.
Nendos cost 5x as much. Pops cover a lot a licenses that don't get any other figures.

Cheerilee

I disagree, the whole video was about the blur between satire of "nerd culture" and the real thing. Stuckmann looked like a complete tool in that toy unboxing clip especially spliced with the RLM parody of overreacting fans and it was hilarious.

But Stuckmann doesn't even remotely fit in with the exploitative "nerd culture podcast" sort of thing that RLM is parodying. Stuckmann is genuine. His day job is watching movies and then reviewing them on Youtube, and he's not terrible at it. He spends 6 minutes reviewing Get Out and gets 800k views. He spends 20 minutes talking about how Angel's Egg is an underappreciated masterpiece, and he only gets 140k views. He's not acting like a nerd for the hits, he's occasionally unleashing his inner nerd.

I found the Stuckmann video that was used for this mashup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCnsYh00NY

In 2015 (seriously, 2015) he made a video showing off his Black Friday haul, and in the video he admitted to being an adult who enjoys buying toys. He bought Phasma because she looked cool. Stuckmann: "Watch her become the worst character ever." He put a Kylo Ren mask on, but that nowhere near equates him to the masturbating Star Wars fanboy Rich Evans was parodying. Just three weeks ago, Stuckmann put out another 20 minute video exploring what Rogue One did wrong. And he's not even a crazed hater, as he points out that Rogue One was simply mediocre, not terrible like the Prequels.

It just seems like someone is reaching really damn hard to try and make Stuckmann part of the target in RLM's Nerd Crew videos. It's like that Simpsons episode where Krusty (RLM) is ranting and taking various targets down a peg, and Homer yells in from the audience "Don't you hate pants (Stuckmann)?" because Homer finds his own pants uncomfortable and therefore Homer wants Krusty to launch a tirade against pants.

Afa

But Stuckmann doesn't even remotely fit in with the exploitative "nerd culture podcast" sort of thing that RLM is parodying. Stuckmann is genuine. His day job is watching movies and then reviewing them on Youtube, and he's not terrible at it. He spends 6 minutes reviewing Get Out and gets 800k views. He spends 20 minutes talking about how Angel's Egg is an underappreciated masterpiece, and he only gets 140k views. He's not acting like a nerd for the hits, he's occasionally unleashing his inner nerd.

In 2015 (seriously, 2015) he made a video showing off his Black Friday haul, and in the video he admitted to being an adult who enjoys buying toys. He bought Phasma because she looked cool. Stuckmann: "Watch her become the worst character ever." He put a Kylo Ren mask on, but that nowhere near equates him to the masturbating Star Wars fanboy Rich Evans was parodying. Just three weeks ago, Stuckmann put out another 20 minute video exploring what Rogue One did wrong. And he's not even a crazed hater, as he points out that Rogue One was simply mediocre, not terrible like the Prequels.

It just seems like someone is reaching really damn hard to try and make Stuckmann part of the target in RLM's Nerd Crew videos. It's like that Simpsons episode where Krusty (RLM) is ranting and taking various targets down a peg, and Homer yells in from the audience "Don't you hate pants (Stuckmann)?" because Homer finds his own pants uncomfortable and therefore Homer wants Krusty to launch a tirade against pants.

not exactly a simpsons gif but ill accept.

Did you consider that perhaps the transposition of the two things influenced you?

LakeEarth

We're cynical and mean against everybody, let's not do it against each other.
KOBoQG.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nendoroids have a specific, hideously ugly style. Pops have a specific, hideously ugly style.
Nendos cost 5x as much. Pops cover a lot a licenses that don't get any other figures.
They also have more customized style to them. Note: I only own Toon Link and he's adorable and I haven't even taken him out of the box. Wish I owned Luigi too. That's all I need.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Googling Nendoroids, they are in fact just as ugly as funko pops.
It's subjective I suppose, but at least Nendos look like their characters because of the anime style anyway. That and the more elaborate ones are actually kind of amazing to look at because of all the add ons they throw in. But that's also why they cost more.

Goldmund

That bit in episode 3 where they "give it up for the Falcon" and Jay's voice from off says "the Millennium Falcon, I'm familiar with it" while the ship is superimposed has me coming back almost daily. It's so small, so elegant.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Googling Nendoroids, they are in fact just as ugly as funko pops.
They're both ugly. But Nendoroids are a lot less ugly and at least somewhat resemble the source material. And have a lot of detail. Funko Pops are literally the same heads over and over with featureless faces and barely any details and shouldn't even be included in the same paragraph with Nendoroids.

Fisty

They're both ugly. But Nendoroids are a lot less ugly and at least somewhat resemble the source material. And have a lot of detail. Funko Pops are literally the same heads over and over with featureless faces and barely any details and shouldn't even be included in the same paragraph with Nendoroids.

Just goes to show if you number your products and release them in a series, you will sell it to people who just collect useless cheap crap because of collectors mentality

For the longest time I thought they were bobble heads, then my sister got some and turns out they just have oversized heads and built in design flaw where they just flop over. What is the point of them, anybody in this thread who collects them wanna give some insight?

They are...kinda...bobble heads. The Marvel ones at least. Since Marvel has an exclusive toy contract with someone, I forget. They can't be considered toys.

Google

Man; I've never seen any of the videos that the crew were making fun of (despite loving the shit out of the joke) but my god...who the fuck watches those unboxing videos?

They're literally just 25 minute commercials for shit.

Big One

Banned

There's nothing wrong with liking the stuff they're spoofing. It's all in good fun in the end. Stuckman doesn't need your defense on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom