• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

see5harp

I have never scratched glass on an iPhone in my pocket or my iPad. I understand the reasoning behind a case as people tend to drop things.

japtor

It's a moot point with the NYTimes because they've been blocking articles over to Instapaper/Readability for at least a month now.

Instapaper's an interesting case because, as Anil said, it's basically stating that UX on the web is shitty for reading longform articles. By stripping out the work that goes into layout (which, may surprise you, but journalists do take a lot of pride in how their work looks), users are rejecting the work that's there.

I certainly think this is a growing field, and it'll be interesting to see how advertising adjusts. I was in plenty of classes where we had BBC and Google employees talk to us about RSS feeds and properly serving ads, so I'm sure there's conversation around this.
I'd say that's true for print versions but for the web most sites just dump the article contents into a standard template, many of which are surrounded by ads and tend to be paginated beyond what's necessary (...to get you to see more ads).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never know what to use for an image host for images taken straight from the iPad. I found the minus app, but there's no resizing options. I just want to be able to snap a screen or use a photo, and post it on a forum at a reasonable size. Is such a thing possible?

Photo bucket. Upload from your camera roll (or download a pic from the Internet for rehosting), upload it, and they give you a ready formatted URL with IMG tags that is copied to your clipboard with one touch

Alex

The iPhoto thing has a Flickr account mixed in with it's sharing options. I normally just use Dropbox, though. I don't think that resizes, however.

Tobor

It's a moot point with the NYTimes because they've been blocking articles over to Instapaper/Readability for at least a month now.

Instapaper's an interesting case because, as Anil said, it's basically stating that UX on the web is shitty for reading longform articles. By stripping out the work that goes into layout (which, may surprise you, but journalists do take a lot of pride in how their work looks), users are rejecting the work that's there.

I certainly think this is a growing field, and it'll be interesting to see how advertising adjusts. I was in plenty of classes where we had BBC and Google employees talk to us about RSS feeds and properly serving ads, so I'm sure there's conversation around this.

On tablets, that's especially true. I've found that I don't use Instapaper that much anymore since Apple added the Reader functionality to Safari. The formatting is what I really need, not the offline reading.

SuperPac

I'll never understand why transferring photos is such an unintuitive, confusing bitch on iOS.

This is really an issue for people? I've never had a problem w/iPhoto and Photo Stream keeping the latest pictures on my devices (and as a screensaver on the Apple TV).

giga

Facebook update out.

8sxHL.png

Spr3h.png

What's New in Version 4.1.1

In this release, we added some features and fixed some bugs so now:
- You can go offline in chat
- The right profile picture appears for everyone
- Your list of friends always includes all your friends
- In sets of photos, your name is displayed correctly
- Photos of people who like Facebook Pages load correctly
- Your friend-request notification only lights up if you have a request
- You can change your language to Czech, Danish, Greek, Indonesian, Malaysian, Norwegian (Bokmal), Portuguese (Portugal) or Thai
- If you've got a new Retina iPad, you'll see a crisp, high resolution interface

ALRIGHT.gif

X-Frame

OMG. So I activated Verizone LTE in midtown NYC and am getting 10 down and 15 up compared to sub-1 down and 0.15 up on AT&T.

Am now tethering to my iPad and my iPhone is finally loading web pages between 10-3. Amazing.

Talon

The Facebook update logs you back into chat every time you reopen the app.

Facebook's mobile devs = the worst.
It's truly mindboggling how shitty the Facebook app used to be, and it's still not up to the level you'd expect.

Then again, the UX on Facebook.com isn't particularly great. The menus aren't really nested in a logical way, and Apps are stuck in weird places.

Magnus

Hey friends, looking for case advice.

I tried the Apple Smart Cover out for a bit, and dug it. It'd be great for use at home, but I plan on taking the iPad out and about a lot, and that cover won't do shit for drop protection.

Are Maroo cases still the way to go? And are there are discounts/sales/promo codes I should be made aware of? Thanks.

Edit-

Too late, got impulsive. Ordered a Moko for me new iPad, and applied a Facebook 'Like' 10% discount code. Was the best I could find. (could've sworn they had 20 and 50% discounts over the last month =/)

Oh well. The whole thing costs less than an Apple Smart Cover, so it's a better deal than that at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I tried the Apple Smart Cover out for a bit, and dug it. It'd be great for use at home, but I plan on taking the iPad out and about a lot, and that cover won't do shit for drop protection.

Are Maroo cases still the way to go? And are there are discounts/sales/promo codes I should be made aware of? Thanks.

Edit-

Too late, got impulsive. Ordered a Moko for me new iPad, and applied a Facebook 'Like' 10% discount code. Was the best I could find. (could've sworn they had 20 and 50% discounts over the last month =/)

Oh well. The whole thing costs less than an Apple Smart Cover, so it's a better deal than that at least.

Maroo is perfect for out and about. Nicely padded so you can throw it in a bag, with decent all round protection with their bumpers. Looks smart too

Enco

PDF Expert just got a retina update and holy crap it's sexy.

Goodreader can go fuck itself. PDF Expert has so many cool features and full Dropbox syncing. I highly recommend it.

Blackhead

Redarse
For those that bought something other than the 16gb wi-fi, what did you prioritize, size (32gb) or connectivity (3g/lte)?
The LTE plans are kinda bullshit. American plans offer such small amounts of data, AT&T doesn't offer the hotspot feature. I'm looking at Canada and it appears that the carriers there are only offering LTE if you sign a contract or a flex plan with overages charges. The old no-contract simple billing plan for the iPad doesn't include LTE or doesn't work on the new iPad at all. yikes. If you have a smartphone with decent battery life and the hotspot feature then go for more space.

DarkWish

Got the new iPad today and loving it! I do have a question though. I plan to take notes in class on this thing, what's the best note taking app? I need something that lets me type and lets me draw (I ordered a stylus as well for this). In looking through the App Store, I found Notability and Note Taker HD... anyone have a preference to either one and if so, why?

EDIT: Seems Note Taker HD doesn't let you type. Guess I could go with Notability unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got the new iPad today and loving it! I do have a question though. I plan to take notes in class on this thing, what's the best note taking app? I need something that lets me type and lets me draw (I ordered a stylus as well for this). In looking through the App Store, I found Notability and Note Taker HD... anyone have a preference to either one and if so, why?

Maybe Taposé?

btrick

so is there anyway i can play x264 avi files on this new iPad?

Sorry if this was already answered 1203012x.. my googlefu is failing me.

japtor

PDF Expert just got a retina update and holy crap it's sexy.

Goodreader can go fuck itself. PDF Expert has so many cool features and full Dropbox syncing. I highly recommend it.
Nice, one thing I was wondering it about while using GoodReader today, what's it like while loading a page? Like in iBooks it shows a blurry version that sharpens up, while GoodReader just has the checkerboard (if a page isn't cached) which is kind of abrupt/ugly.

EDIT: Seems Note Taker HD doesn't let you type. Guess I could go with Notability unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Note Taker does let you type, but it's kind of a funky tool to use, Notability is much better in that regard. If you do plan to type often in your notes along with whatever handwriting/scribbling I'd go with Notability...also one other big thing is that it has audio recording, which could be very useful in a class. Can't say for sure how well the mic works in a classroom/lecture hall but I've used the recording feature in meetings.

I officially no longer need the home button. I'm so used to gestures for OS navigation that the only time I press the home button is by accident.

The gestures work so damn well.

Enco

Nice, one thing I was wondering it about while using GoodReader today, what's it like while loading a page? Like in iBooks it shows a blurry version that sharpens up, while GoodReader just has the checkerboard (if a page isn't cached) which is kind of abrupt/ugly.

Note Taker does let you type, but it's kind of a funky tool to use, Notability is much better in that regard. If you do plan to type often in your notes along with whatever handwriting/scribbling I'd go with Notability...also one other big thing is that it has audio recording, which could be very useful in a class. Can't say for sure how well the mic works in a classroom/lecture hall but I've used the recording feature in meetings.

It has a checkerboard too.

I actually prefer it to the blurriness.

Hey guys, i am having trouble reading emails on my Ipad. It gives me this screen. I restored the Ipad and still the same.

Does anyone knows what´s the problem and how do i fix it?
Thanks.

Edit: Don´t know what happened but it´s fixed now.

noah111

Still Alive
Seriously? Why the hell not, it's been on phones forever now. Such a weird thing not to update.

Oh by the way, I was finally able to check the prices here for the new iPad. They said they had it but it all sold out, and they'll be getting more within a few days. Anyway, 64GB 3/4G = $85,000 syp.

The dollar is fluctuating a lot here so depending on what the ratio the banks here are going to be using, that comes up to something like $1,200 to $1,400 US dollars... that's like $400+ extra. T_T

Probably not going to be picking one up for another month or so, though, so the prices here should be down a bit by then. For contrast, the 8GB iPod touch $16,500 here, so something like $300 bucks.

japtor

Hey guys, i am having trouble reading emails on my Ipad. It gives me this screen. I restored the Ipad and still the same.

Does anyone knows what´s the problem and how do i fix it?
Thanks.

Edit: Don´t know what happened but it´s fixed now.
...is a message selected? Does the Inbox button (or a swipe to the right to bring up the inbox pane) work? What's it show when in landscape?

...is a message selected? Does the Inbox button (or a swipe to the right to bring up the inbox pane) work? What's it show when in landscape?

There was no message selected. I could not press anything on that page except send mail. I could not access any of my email or my messages. But now it´s back to normal. I really don´t get what happened. I restored it, it continued having a blank page, but now it´s working fine.

DarkWish

Thanks! Got Notability and it's just what I needed.

jts

...hate me...
Rdio iPad app won't let me log in. I've changed the password numerous times, tried to login with the nickname, nothing works.

And meanwhile the trial week is almost over. It's safe to assume they won't sell me this service.

Facebook said:
- Your friend-request notification only lights up if you have a request

Bloody hell...Has hell frozen over?!

Anyway, I might have to try this PDF reader app, as I have a shit tonne of them to be using over my exam period. And dropbox integration will be great

Me iPad has now been put on "Prepared to ship" status but I rang them up and said I would be out of the country from Thursday so I could see if they could expedite the shipping, as the iPad is in the UK already...Don't know what the hold up is!

THIS AINT A GAME APPLE!

Blackhead

Redarse
PS. @Greyface: have you tried out/looked into this comic app, "Comic Viewer"?; http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comic-viewer/id369599706?mt=8

It recently received a pretty huge update and i'm thinking of looking into it once they go retina and I get my new iPad.

v3 - FEATURES
• Fullscreen mode: A single tap automatically scales each page to fill the screen width
• Metadata: Add detailed information about your comics.
• Table view: Display all your comics in a scrollable list. Sort by bookshelf order, title, series, or genre.
- Search your library. Title, Description, and character fields.
• Page turns: Realistic page turning animations and sound
• Multi-page preview: View thumbnails of all the pages in a comic
• Bookmarks: Bookmark individual pages
• Custom sort order: Rearrange comics on your bookshelf in any order.
• Background choices: Page, white, black, gray, texture
• Stats: Details on your library, including total number of comics, unopened, finished; total pages, bookmarked.
• Landscape reading can display one or two pages
• Finished status, indicator lets you know when you've viewed the last page of a comic
• Reading status preference: Option to turn off display of reading status (e.g. Unopened, Finished)
• Stack count: displays number of comics a stack contains
• Translucent graphite theme: Less obtrusive tool bars and sliders, puts focus on the comic
• Manga mode: Set comics to read from right to left (applies to page turn and slider controls)

http://www.denvog.com/iphone/ComicViewer/

I'm intrigued.
It's alright although the reading options are a little bit basic. It's annoying that I have to selectively mark files as Manga. It handles double pages and two-page landscape poorly. It's not worth the $5; Comicglass is better.
I wish ComicReaderMobi would be let back into the Appstore :/ Still the best imo.

Mad Magazine released for iPad
Mad Magazine PR said:
“With this app we’ve taken everything that MAD readers like in the print magazine, and added entertaining digital design and fun interactivity,” stated Hank Kanalz, senior vice president of digital, DC Entertainment. “The app also creates a one-stop destination for all things MAD, from TV to the magazine to the blog.”

After downloading the free app, readers can purchase new digital issues of MAD Magazine for $4.99, or back issues for $1.99. Digital readers can also choose a per issue digital subscription for $1.99 per issue, or pay an upfront annual fee of $9.99. Current print subscribers will receive a free digital subscription. All future print issues of the magazine will be available for purchase day-and-date within the app.
Mad Magazine PR said:
To read more about the new MAD app, check out CNET and NEWSARAMA’s coverage

How HD Comics Look on the New iPad
Good eReader said:
[Marvel and Comixology] have updated their iOS applications to give you HD Comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o6eace1WhQ

Comics on the iPad: will the new iPad attract paper readers?
ArsTechnica said:
Comics have been around for centuries, but the iconic Action Comics #1 featuring Superman in 1938 is widely considered to be the beginning of the “Golden Age.” Other metalliferous ages followed: silver, bronze, iron. Now, comics are in the “Modern Age.” And the biggest question both today and going forward—will comic books largely remain on glossy paper or transition to backlit LED?

“Resolutionary” Comics

Saving shelf space is the obvious advantage of digital comics. A single issue takes up anywhere from 10 to 20MB. In terms of physical size, an iPad single page is slightly smaller diagonally than paper,—9.7 versus about 12 inches. It’s hard to imagine using a smaller tablet to read comics, or one of those Macrocephaly smartphones. Virtually all smartphones would be eliminated too were it not for Guided View.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtnoOKZuqBc
Guided View

This trademarked and controversial technology presents individual panels in sequence. It zooms in on each panel, or even multiple parts of a panel, optionally showing the entire page upon entering and exiting. While the benefit is obvious on the small screen of a smartphone, the risk is the destruction of the page as art. Does anyone think Michelangelo frescoing the Creation of Adam expected it to be experienced like this?

• Zoom out to Jehovah in fluttering red cape backed by Team Cherub flying to rescue Adam lost and nekid on a mountain.
  • Zoom in to Jehovah’s face, eyes alight with the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
  • Zoom in to Adam’s innocence.
  • Zoom in to the outreached hands for the “ET” moment.
Guided View is, in my opinion, just awful. Favoring the parts over the sum of the page, it transforms the experience without the reader even realizing they are the worse for it.

ComiXology offers a technically better alternative called CMX-HD...

"The impact of iPad has been minimal at most," Tarney said. "It’s been positive because they’ve been able to read things they might not have picked up because there’s been a free preview… The fact of the matter is most people who are our customers are—not necessarily hardcore—but they’ve been reading comics for a while. They collect comics. They like the physical, actual comic book."

One problem Arstechica writes about:
an area where digital comics currently fail. There's a lack of back catalogs beyond a few, likely high-profit, titles.​

Can be solved by:
BoingBoing said:
head over to The Big Blog of Kids' Comics! and fill your iPad with mid-century four-color wonder.
moT5a.jpg

Here's an oldie but goodie:
How To: Get thousands of back issue comics on your iPad for pennies an issue

Dr. Macenstein said:
oRORml.jpg

Comics and iPads – two extremely geeky things that go great together. And while I have the DC, Marvel, ComiXology, IDW, and Archie apps, one thing they all have in common is the digital issues don’t quite reflect the cost savings you would think would accompany ditching the printing, shipping, and restocking fees associated with going paperless. But this holiday season while monitoring Amazon’s lightning deals, I stumbled across a very cost effective way to get thousands of back issues of your favorite comics onto your iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) for just pennies an issue. Here’s how.

xIIFcl.jpg

My daughter has recently gotten very into the Archie comics, primarily for Betty and Veronica (and who can blame her?). So when the Archie comics app for the iPad came out, I picked it up, downloaded some free issues, then downloaded some pay issues, then, realizing this was still getting expensive, I went the eBay route, picking up lots of old Archie’s 50 at a time in lots. While this was a nice savings, it still was costing about a buck an issue, so when I saw Amazon had a lightning deal on a DVD of “Golden Age” Archie comics in PDF form for $3.00, I decided to take a risk, and I’m glad I did.

odPejl.jpg

Above: If you look at Veronica’s Ass, you’ll see the watermark that appears on the pages. Not a bad tradeoff methinks.

Each DVD has about a decade worth of comics on it, and we’re talking the ENTIRE ORIGINAL comic, including the ads for Sea Monkeys. Each issue runs about 10 MB, and installing them couldn’t be easier. First, you must make sure you’ve downloaded Apple’s free iBooks app onto your device. Then, simply drag each PDF into iTunes, and then sync them under the BOOKS tab of your device’s syncing options. You can also edit their meta info in iTunes to group them better, or create playlists based on whether they’ve been read or not.

The cool thing is, it isn’t just Archie you can do this with. Many comics are being sold this way, on Amazon from X-Men and Avengers to the entire 50 years of MAD Magazine (for only $18.60), all at ridiculous savings compared to per issue paper or regular digital downloading.

jUoLIl.jpg

Of course, as with all gift horses, you may notice one small problem if you look too closely in its mouth. While all these DVDs say the issues are “printable”, so far I’ve found they have a light but noticeable watermark on each page (see below). This really isn’t an issue for me or my daughter, or I would wager anyone going the digital route, as digital comics don’t appreciate in value like their paper friends, and the watermark is light enough to not be annoying. I assume this is done to prevent you from republishing all the old Betty and Veronica’s and making a FORTUNE… cough… but whatever. I’m getting Archie’s, Jughead’s, and Betty and Veronica’s for 2¢ an issue, and that’s pretty sweet.

TbE0Z.jpg

Goodman Holiday said:
I have some of these collections. You can view them without the watermark in GoodReader for iPad.

ElyrionX

Just got it.

Holy crap. This is amazing. The web browsing is light years ahead of that POS iPad 1.

Now what's the least painless way to stream mkv files from my Windows 7 PC to the new iPad via WiFi?

LCfiner

Just got it.

Holy crap. This is amazing. The web browsing is light years ahead of that POS iPad 1.

Now what's the least painless way to stream mkv files from my Windows 7 PC to the new iPad via WiFi?

"air video" or "stream to me". air video gives you better IQ options

Yaska

Edit-

Weird, because I ordered my moko on sunday, and while it's still "pending". I got to use the 20% code on it.

Also Apple going on their own mind. Told me I would have to wait for 2 weeks for my wifi ipad. Instead they sent me during last night a message that they had shipped it already. Now I'm F5'ing the hell outta TNT tracking site...
I need a life

Top Bottom