• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

The new ipad and my old smart cover don't seem to play nice. I had it upstairs; went to get it and it didn't shut it down; which is one thing; but the battery drained from 60+% to 10% and the thing is warm. Its not really computing shit; its just on.

a bit annoyed;. I have to take note of it whenever I put it down from now on. That or actively press the button on the top right to switch it off.

The new ipad and my old smart cover don't seem to play nice. I had it upstairs; went to get it and it didn't shut it down; which is one thing; but the battery drained from 60+% to 10% and the thing is warm. Its not really computing shit; its just on.

a bit annoyed;. I have to take note of it whenever I put it down from now on. That or actively press the button on the top right to switch it off.

Is the screen actually shutting off? Apparently (some) old covers don't play nice with magnet polarity, so you can go to an Apple Store and swap it for a new one...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This thing is fucking amazing as a comic book reader. Fucking amazing.

Still looking for a case. I was going to get the Targus Slimcase since I believe they fixed the magnet issue, but it looks like they raised the prices on Amazon.

I was looking at the maroo cases and was thinking about getting the Maroo Matau. I heard some people complaining about the case looking dirty on the back or something. Also I'd like to pick it up before Friday but I don't think they carry it in stores.

This is a very good deal

http://www.all4cellular.com/product/apple-ipad-5-in-1-camera-connection-kit.html

iPad 5 in 1 camera connection kit

apple-ipad-5-in-1-camera-connection-kit-front-view.png

$3.99 with free shipping

Ahh... here is where this thread went!

Curious as to the battery life the rest of you are seeing out of the New iPad. Not so much when being used, but when in standby. I'm losing roughly 1-2% per hour while in standby, which isn't alarming, but I seem to recall my iPad 1 didn't lose that much overnight for instance.

Is anyone else seeing similar battery performance? Should I be alarmed?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ahh... here is where this thread went!

Curious as to the battery life the rest of you are seeing out of the New iPad. Not so much when being used, but when in standby. I'm losing roughly 1-2% per hour while in standby, which isn't alarming, but I seem to recall my iPad 1 didn't lose that much overnight for instance.

Is anyone else seeing similar battery performance? Should I be alarmed?

I come home after work 10 hours later and see very little to no battery drop. Maybe you have some app running that is causing your iPad to run while you are away.

I come home after work 10 hours later and see very little to no battery drop. Maybe you have some app running that is causing your iPad to run while you are away.

Thought that at first as well, but restarting the device doesn't help.

I realize 1%/hour is fairly negligible drop in battery life, but I'm use to having virtually none on my iPad 1. It sipped power while on standby. And I don't really see poor battery performance when using the device. It is about what I would expect, it's just that it is dropping more than I would expect while in standby mode.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I realize 1%/hour is fairly negligible drop in battery life, but I'm use to having virtually none on my iPad 1. It sipped power while on standby. And I don't really see poor battery performance when using the device. It is about what I would expect, it's just that it is dropping more than I would expect while in standby mode.

As far as I have noticed,I get virtually none on my new iPad. But I can double check tonight, maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

MasLegio

Banned

Check notifications.
Also remember to disable location based time zone setting

Anyone know why there is no location reminder option in reminders on the ipad?
I have the 3G ipad so i feel i should be able to set reminders based on my location.

cubanb

Banned
Does anyone have light leakage from where the screen meets the frame?

I don't notice any when looking at a straight on angle, but when I look at the screen from the side, I noticed one side has some light leakage where I can see white light at the seam. Is this common? Should I expect any issues if I wanted to exchange it?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does anyone have light leakage from where the screen meets the frame?

I don't notice any when looking at a straight on angle, but when I look at the screen from the side, I noticed one side has some light leakage where I can see white light at the seam. Is this common? Should I expect any issues if I wanted to exchange it?

Pretty common, though much less so than with past iPads. They should let you exchange it.

Check notifications.

I have the 3G ipad so i feel i should be able to set reminders based on my location.

Most everything is exactly the same as it was on my iPad 1 for the most part. I'm going to turn off the "Find My iPad" option and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Most everything is exactly the same as it was on my iPad 1 for the most part. I'm going to turn off the "Find My iPad" option and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

Find my iPad isn't active unless pinged by the iCloud website or the app on another device.

In regards to battery lasting, by rough count I got 4 days standby and 7 hours (browsing/reading/gaming) usage out of it before I had to charge first time.

ttrying to find the best app for tumblr at the moment.

also grabbed FLUD which now =

pulse
zite
flipboard
flud

holyshitballs; the ipad is a timesink

Picked up a white 16GB WIFI iPad. They were sold out everywhere: my nearby Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Apple store. Had to go a few towns over to find one. I thought they had better stock this time?!

Find my iPad isn't active unless pinged by the iCloud website or the app on another device.

In regards to battery lasting, by rough count I got 4 days standby and 7 hours (browsing/reading/gaming) usage out of it before I had to charge first time.

Yeah, switching it off didn't seem to have much effect and it is a service I'd prefer to have on.

It sounds like your battery life isn't dramatically different then mine. It's most surprising putting my iPad to sleep at night and waking up the next morning to find that its lost 5-6% of its battery over night. I just don't recall that being the case with my iPad 1.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Picked up a white 16GB WIFI iPad. They were sold out everywhere: my nearby Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Apple store. Had to go a few towns over to find one. I thought they had better stock this time?!

They seemed to re-stock pretty frequently in Los Angeles at Apple Stores. I would check during the day and they would be out of stock but then they would show stock again in the evenings. So I eventually just ordered one online and selected store pickup and got it the next morning. YMMV

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Check notifications.

How do you disable location-based time zone? Is that just changing "Set Automatically" to off?

AndTAR

Just ordered me one of these for £2.29 off eBay, anyone used them before? Are they straightforward to transfer?

If you mean the general usage of a Camera Connection Kit, you simply connect an image source (camera via USB, or SD card with pictures), and Photos.app automatically opens with a relatively simple, visual import menu.

Regarding the exact hardware in the picture, I happen to own a similarly cheap/Chinese camera adapter myself. While it does work, the connector seems kinda flimsy, and disconnects seem to happen at random, along with spontaneous "This accessory is not supported" messages.

Obviously not very surprising of course, considering the price range of these things. I just wouldn't trust my memory card to such cheap circuitry, so I personally always use the USB connection with mine, preventing the adapter from directly handling the read/write operations to the card.

cnizzle06

Banned
I've maxed out my cloud space and can't backup my phone/iPad now. I'd rather not pay extra for additional space. What do the rest of you guys do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The switch isn't for muting the system wide volume, it mutes notifications. If you want to mute the system wide volume, hold down on the volume rocker for a sec.

Volume key doesn't do it either. Volume key on the home screen is sound effects only. You can have that on zero and videos will still play at their previous volume. Can be very irritating as there is no way to turn the volume down first it seems.

MasLegio

Banned
I've maxed out my cloud space and can't backup my phone/iPad now. I'd rather not pay extra for additional space. What do the rest of you guys do.
Change to backup on computer through itunes & wifi or check icloud settings, select device then manage storage and uncheck apps whose content you do net need backups of or delete files in the apps taking much space.

Enco

My Incipio Frost Smartfeather arrived today.

Pretty happy with it. Slim and sexy. Offers good protection from scratches but if you're thinking about dropping your iPad it's not for you. It clips over the smart cover so you can't remove it but I don't mind this.

Now I can feel more comfortable laying my iPad down.

Tobor

Volume key doesn't do it either. Volume key on the home screen is sound effects only. You can have that on zero and videos will still play at their previous volume. Can be very irritating as there is no way to turn the volume down first it seems.

What? I said the volume rocker. The hardware rocker on the side of the iPad.

giga

The side switch doesn't control sound output from music and video. If you have it set to "mute", it's solely meant to control sound effects, like alerts and notifications.

You can untoggle this option below if you want to dedicate the volume rocker on the side (not the side switch) to controlling just music and video. That way, when you don't have any music playing, you can control its volume through hardware instead of going through software.

KSnf3.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like a way to tell the app store 'no thanks, I don't want that update' and have it remove the notification badge from the icon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What? I said the volume rocker. The hardware rocker on the side of the iPad.

The side switch doesn't control sound output from music and video. If you have it set to "mute", it's solely meant to control sound effects, like alerts and notifications.

You can untoggle this option below if you want to dedicate the volume rocker on the side (not the side switch) to controlling just music and video. That way, when you don't have any music playing, you can control its volume through hardware instead of going through software.

KSnf3.png

Sorry, I mean the rocker. Say I'm playing a video and have the sound on three dots. Then I quit out to the home screen and use the volume rocker to lower the volume to zero, because I'm going somewhere quiet. But then I play a video and it's back at three dots again. That setting confuses me, seems like here is no way to have a global volume change. Either the rocker changes sound effects only , and music/video only after stating to play something, or you can have the rocker change music/video, but then it won't change system sounds, you have to go into settings.

Just seems unnecessarily complicated

Tobor

Sorry, I mean the rocker. Say I'm playing a video and have the sound on three dots. Then I quit out to the home screen and use the volume rocker to lower the volume to zero, because I'm going somewhere quiet. But then I play a video and it's back at three dots again. That setting confuses me, seems like here is no way to have a global volume change. Either the rocker changes sound effects only , and music/video only after stating to play something, or you can have the rocker change music/video, but then it won't change system sounds, you have to go into settings.

I don't understand what you're saying. The volume rocker does mute system wide. I feel like we're still miscommunicating here.

Not the on/off hardware switch. The up/down volume rocker underneath the switch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

You can untoggle this option below if you want to dedicate the volume rocker on the side (not the side switch) to controlling just music and video. That way, when you don't have any music playing, you can control its volume through hardware instead of going through software

Thanks giga, that's helpful. So the "mute" switch doesn't mute music and video at all? (I presume in-app sounds are in this category as well.) It just controls system sounds?

giga

If you turn down the volume of music/video, and exit out of that app, it will continue to have same volume as you last left it. It doesn't reset.

Thanks giga, that's helpful. So the "mute" switch doesn't mute music and video at all? (I presume in-app sounds are in this category as well.) It just controls system sounds?
Correct.

Tobor

Specifically notifications. The reason it's confusing is that some third party apps and games support it and mute their sound, some don't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's pretty interesting. Is there some common use case I'm missing where people don't want "mute" to mean "mute everything"? NBD now that I know how it all works (and I'll probably wind up switching the toggle back to screen lock as a result since mute system sounds is not really useful to me) but it's kinda strange to me.

EDIT: Wait, sorry just so I'm all buttoned up here, if I do "change with buttons" ON, then that means the volume controls EVERYTHING right? (Not the toggle though, understood.) b/c that's what I want it to do.

giga

That's pretty interesting. Is there some common use case I'm missing where people don't want "mute" to mean "mute everything"? NBD now that I know how it all works (and I'll probably wind up switching the toggle back to screen lock as a result since mute system sounds is not really useful to me) but it's kinda strange to me.

EDIT: Wait, sorry just so I'm all buttoned up here, if I do "change with buttons" ON, then that means the volume controls EVERYTHING right? (Not the toggle though, understood.) b/c that's what I want it to do.
The logic behind this design was for people who might want their phones (or tablets) on silent for things like ringtones/texts, but still be able to listen to music or watch a video.

"Change with buttons" only applies to ringer and alerts. It does not affect music or video volume.

Husker86

Because people usually use mute to make sure it doesn't make noise in an office environment or somewhere similar. If a person opens a video, he/she probably wants to hear it.

Man, I learn something new everyday. Just toggled that switch from rotation lock to mute. The fact that it only silences system sounds like keyboard clicks or iMessages is just what I need for meetings. Was going into the systems setting to turn off sounds, etc. this is much easier

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i was going to go for a fancy designer case, but the love of my old iPad 2 generic chinese folio case pulled me back towards the my 'utilitarian' impulses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HBLXI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ordered Monday, arrived today stuffed into a tiny NYC mailbox. thank you USPS!

unlike previous folio cases, this one doesn't smell of cancer-inducing chemicals (like i need any more!) and appears better constructed to boot. the corners hold wonderfully and it doens't look like i have to worry about this device slipping out at inopportune moments. for $20 shipped it's a damn steal.

only thing missing is the front-cover bend so that this can also convert into a landscape typing stand. i'm not sure yet whether the handstrap is a worthy substitute for it, yet.

Under "location services" go to the bottom and select "systemservices". Uncheck timezone setting.

Is there a particular reason why that setting would be a drain on the battery? I switched it off as suggested and waiting to see if does anything with my situation but wondered if this was a well known cause for battery drain. I've never seen this setting mentioned before.

Cipherr

Got my new case today. I went with the new "Spring/Summer" collection DODO Case, in the Granite/Poppy color. The lighting isn't the best in my pics, and looks almost red, but it is a really nice vibrant orange color. The quality is excellent, and feels really nice to hold. The bamboo frame inside is slotted so all the buttons and ports are fully accessible. It has the magnets built in, so Sleep/Wake works fine as well. It doesn't stand up very well in a vertical position, but I don't ever do that so no biggie. Very pleased with it.

lsj7k.jpg

w389o.jpg

C6K4p.jpg

LYxvX.jpg

Ql5aP.jpg

Jesus Christ its gorgeous. How much?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't believe people like that hideous monstrosity Dodocase.

Top Bottom