• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Battery life was absolutely amazing for me my first few days with the device. Since then have downloaded more apps and have a TON (like 40+) of async board games going on thanks to the iOS online boardgaming thread so the battery life has definitely taken a hit because of all the push. Everyone always wants more battery life, but I'm still quite impressed by how much you can do on a full charge.

Reclaimer

It is none of those things. My New iPad is set up identically to my iPad 1 and the battery on Standby in particular doesn't perform nearly as well.

Also, mine only sports a Smart Cover, so no case to effect the battery life.

A friend at work was having all sorts of battery life issues, and it turned out it was the Smart Cover at fault.

The Smart Cover was a bit old and slipped around a bit on the face of the iPad when it was jostled in his bag, and sometimes even when the table was bumped. The cover moved just enough to turn the iPad on and then put it to sleep again. This would happen constantly throughout the day. It was only when we turned off the mute that we realized this when we heard the lock/unlock sound clicking.

Apple exchanged it even though it was a year old. :)

Most likely not your issue, but you might want to check anyway.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe people can't tone down their opinions in this thread. Oh right anonymity=asshole.
We're talking about a thing you put your iPad in. Not anything serious. We're all buddies here.

So I think I'm gonna run out and buy an airport express this morning. If in the future I get an appleTv is there anyway to make the applet display video of something but still route the audio through the airport express? That way I can keep my rakers on the other side of the room away from the tv.

Edit: wait what the heLl
L it's a hundred bucks? I thought it was 79. :/ should I just get an APpletv instead? Can I use theappleton n the same way you'd use an airport express (obviously not the networking features) but as a thing to stream music to.

A friend at work was having all sorts of battery life issues, and it turned out it was the Smart Cover at fault.

The Smart Cover was a bit old and slipped around a bit on the face of the iPad when it was jostled in his bag, and sometimes even when the table was bumped. The cover moved just enough to turn the iPad on and then put it to sleep again. This would happen constantly throughout the day. It was only when we turned off the mute that we realized this when we heard the lock/unlock sound clicking.

Apple exchanged it even though it was a year old. :)

Most likely not your issue, but you might want to check anyway.

Yeah, that's not it either as it wouldn't be moving around over night and I have it in front of me throughout the day with the cover flipped back. It keep losing juice every hour regardless.

TKR92

Verizon LTE speed in PHX area.
The speed is generally great.

Also tested a hotspot function, a download speed is great but a upload speed not so much.

6900004018_65b0a3f29a.jpg

cnizzle06

Banned
I have no problem telling people their Dodocase or Otterbox is hideous, on a forum or in my office.

Did I hurt your feelings? The opinion wasn't even harsh. You must be extra sensitive.

Damn, what a badass.

And no, I just have the maturity to not mock someone who took the time to take and post pictures of a purchase they're proud of.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We're talking about a thing you put your iPad in. Not anything serious. We're all buddies here.

So I think I'm gonna run out and buy an airport express this morning. If in the future I get an appleTv is there anyway to make the applet display video of something but still route the audio through the airport express? That way I can keep my rakers on the other side of the room away from the tv.

Edit: wait what the heLl
L it's a hundred bucks? I thought it was 79. :/ should I just get an APpletv instead? Can I use theappleton n the same way you'd use an airport express (obviously not the networking features) but as a thing to stream music to.

Yes, an apple tv will work like an airport express for audio via AirPlay. Plus the bonus of video too. Don't think you can route audio and video separately though

japtor

Is there an iPad3 case that makes holding it feel like I'm using an iPad1 with the old Apple case? The edges dig into my hands and it gets uncomfortable, while the old square iPad1 design didn't have any of those problems (side buttons felt a lot better on that, too). The Dodocase looked ok but bulkier than I'd like.
If you have the old Apple case you can jam the iPad in there with a back shell of some sort. I did that with my iPad 2 recently with a Monoprice TPU back (~$5), it's a tight fit (like the original) but seems to work fine...well the mute/rotation switch is a complete bitch to access and the rear camera is blocked, but otherwise it works.

Otherwise I guess you could try the TPU back by itself if it's just the edges that's bugging you. If you happen to have a Smart Cover already the TPU material is cut easily enough to fit it, and/or lock it in place if you cut just for the hinges.
Battery life was absolutely amazing for me my first few days with the device. Since then have downloaded more apps and have a TON (like 40+) of async board games going on thanks to the iOS online boardgaming thread so the battery life has definitely taken a hit because of all the push. Everyone always wants more battery life, but I'm still quite impressed by how much you can do on a full charge.
Do you have them show up in the lock screen? If you have the iPad open or not with some magnet cover I'm wondering how much of a hit just turning the screen on for a few seconds for each notification takes. It's something I've found kind of stupid with the iPhones, like if they're in your pocket the screen will still go on with notifications, I figure they could just use the proximity sensor to check if the screen is covered there before turning the screen on.
Not only that, but for a company that's so obsessed with details, the percentage indicator looks really terrible.
Kind of surprised it's on by default considering how pointless it is most of the time.
Verizon LTE speed in PHX area.
The speed is generally great.

Also tested a hotspot function, a download speed is great but a upload speed not so much.

6900004018_65b0a3f29a.jpg
My download on a cable modem is around 20...while my upload is slower than that, I think sub 5mbps. 10mbps+ up is pretty damn good.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, an apple tv will work like an airport express for audio via AirPlay. Plus the bonus of video too. Don't think you can route audio and video separately though
Ahh cool. That's great to know, but I also see the ATV has only optical out. Which is fine for my surround system but I want to get a dedicated stereo setup in the near future. Hmmph. Gonna wait a few says. Was all hot to trot earlier but now I'm in no rush.

Is there an art program that will actually let you paint to the edge of the canvas/screen? Every one I've tried (Paper, Sketchbook and a few others) won't let me, so I'm trying to draw a horizon then fill the bottom half and since the edges are open, it fills the entire canvas.

Circle T

Jesus Christ its gorgeous. How much?

Apologies for not replying earlier. I haven't read this thread lately.

It was $79. Depending on colors, they are $59, $69, or $79. Quality is really great. I'm very pleased.

I can't believe people like that hideous monstrosity Dodocase.
I agree. Enjoy your 3 inch thick iPad - Jony Ive is crying himself to sleep because of people that use these monstrosities.

Make sure you put a matte screen protector on for maximum awesome.

It is barely more than a half inch thick when closed up. It's no bigger (but much better looking) than 2 of my coworkers folio-style cases. When folded open, it sits just like I want it to when I use it. I quite like it. Looks nice, feels nice in the hand, and to me it isn't huge at all.

I bought it because I liked it, nothing more. Your opinions are noted, but also irrelevant.

coldfoot

Banned
My download on a cable modem is around 20...while my upload is slower than that, I think sub 5mbps. 10mbps+ up is pretty damn good.
Yeah but I bet your ping is less than 50ms, which makes a lot of difference in the responsiveness when loading web pages, voice/video conferencing, and online games.

japtor

Ahh cool. That's great to know, but I also see the ATV has only optical out. Which is fine for my surround system but I want to get a dedicated stereo setup in the near future. Hmmph. Gonna wait a few says. Was all hot to trot earlier but now I'm in no rush.
There's optical to analog converters out there for $25 or so, need another power plug for them though.
Yeah but I bet your ping is less than 50ms, which makes a lot of difference in the responsiveness when loading web pages, voice/video conferencing, and online games.
Good point, didn't notice that earlier. Biggest difference I've heard about LTE (beyond the throughput) is the big latency improvement, the Verge test shot is showing ~70-80ms for comparison.

For more comparison just tested my iPhone 4 on 3G and got (ping, down, up):
151ms, .26mbps, .6mbps
98ms, 1.28mbps, .22mbps
87ms, .93mbps, .35mbps

fse

Now I think I've asked this but is it normal for the new iPad (ugh hate the name) when the screen is off or I am in sunlight with white or black things on the screen to see what I can only describe as like kinda visible grid? It's like the was a plastic sheet of graph paper behind the glass lol. Is that the touch sensor thingamajig? Don't remember that with iPad 1.

Would try to take a pic but my digital camera doesn't show it :\

Husker86

Now I think I've asked this but is it normal for the new iPad (ugh hate the name) when the screen is off or I am in sunlight with white or black things on the screen to see what I can only describe as like kinda visible grid? It's like the was a plastic sheet of graph paper behind the glass lol. Is that the touch sensor thingamajig? Don't remember that with iPad 1.

Yes, and it was on the iPad 1. In fact, the iPad 1 is the first gadget I'd ever noticed it on...or maybe it was my iPhone 4, I had them both at the same time. Either way it's on most if not all touch screen devices I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Capacitive

That's the digitizer.

dkeane

Is there an art program that will actually let you paint to the edge of the canvas/screen? Every one I've tried (Paper, Sketchbook and a few others) won't let me, so I'm trying to draw a horizon then fill the bottom half and since the edges are open, it fills the entire canvas.

Procreate will. Don't know about others.

I'm looking for a specific type of case for my iPad. I'm not sure if it exists, but I thought I
would ask. I'm looking for something like a combination of a silicone skin and a folio case.

Something like a combination of the silicone piece of the Seidio Active case...
ipd39.jpg

that fits into a folio case such as this...
512B1HlXNDL._SS400_.jpg

I'm leaning towards a folio case, but am afraid the exposed edges getting scuffed. Anyway, does anyone make a case like this?

Vyer

hmm, there's a little speck of something behind the glass. It's pretty minor, but I can't help but find my eyes are getting drawn to it every time I turn the thing on. lol

don't know if it's worth it to go to the apple store, or if they'll exchange for that.

Is it too late to do model exchanges, I wonder? I wanted to swap out for the Verizon model anyway....

jts

...hate me...
What's with the stupid ultra-mega-zoom when double tapping in the photos app? An iOS 5.1 bug?

fse

hmm, there's a little speck of something behind the glass. It's pretty minor, but I can't help but find my eyes are getting drawn to it every time I turn the thing on. lol

don't know if it's worth it to go to the apple store, or if they'll exchange for that.

Is it too late to do model exchanges, I wonder? I wanted to swap out for the Verizon model anyway....

Where did ya buy it?

Reclaimer

Sketchbook will.

Just pinch to zoom out a bit and it works fine. The default it to be zoomed in just a bit so you don't actually see the edge of the canvas.

cnizzle06

Banned
I'm really considering getting a navy smart cover so I can lay in bed and watch Netflix/HBO Go, but damn if it doesn't seem overpriced.

Ok, need an image viewer app which allows me to put folders into it (as opposed to individual photos).

The apple app does this thing where 220mb's worth of images take up 7,8GB of space, so I need an alternative.

I have my iPad!!

Oh man it's beautiful!

Love it. Got a smart cover for it and it looks pretty!!!

One thing that's annoying is that every time I open a new tab in safari it keeps going straight to the recent searches and lists them. Can be embarrassing!

Other than that. We all good son

Really. I always used iCab on my OG iPad and when I asked for good reasons to "upgrade" from iOS 4 to 5, many points were Safari-related and sounded so, so silly as an iCab user. The UI isn't that terrible anymore, but I rather prefer Dolphin over Safari. e: The fact that Safari can't even continue to play a Youtube video when you switch to another tab is so laughable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've gone from iPad 1 and being afraid to have more than 2 tabs open due to lack of caching, to iPad 3 and wishing safari didn't have a 10 tab limit.

I'm now just leaving open GAF threads and other pages I'm reading and it's fantastic

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol, Safari.

Really. I always used iCab on my OG iPad and when I asked for good reasons to "upgrade" from iOS 4 to 5, many points were Safari-related and sounded so, so silly as an iCab user. The UI isn't that terrible anymore, but I rather prefer Dolphin over Safari. e: The fact that Safari can't even continue to play a Youtube video when you switch to another tab is so laughable.

Every other browser is much slower compared to Safari. It's because of something Apple prevents devs to use. It's the reason I don't use iCab anymore.

I've gone from iPad 1 and being afraid to have more than 2 tabs open due to lack of caching, to iPad 3 and wishing safari didn't have a 10 tab limit.

I'm now just leaving open GAF threads and other pages I'm reading and it's fantastic
Best part of upgrading for us OGers.

Balb

Is there a way to make the iPad keyboard function like the iPhone keyboard? With the iPhone you can slide your finger to the correct key if you initially touch the wrong key. With the iPad once you touch a key you can't change it.

AEREC

So are all new iPads affected by the gimped Wi-Fi? I got my iPad 3 WiFi last week and I dont think Ive noticed any issues or dropped conenctions. But Ive only used it at work and home where Im relatively close to a WAP anyways.

Is there a sure method to tell if your iPad is affected by this issue?

Enco

Safari is brilliant.

It's fast, sexy and works with all apps by default. Every other browser I've seen looks like absolute shit and they're not native so pretty useless to me.

So are all new iPads affected by the gimped Wi-Fi? I got my iPad 3 WiFi last week and I dont think Ive noticed any issues or dropped conenctions. But Ive only used it at work and home where Im relatively close to a WAP anyways.

What do you think After browsing gaf and internet?

AEREC

I haven't looked into it much, which is why I asked here. I just heard about it this morning.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Looks to be a select batch, not all.

Top Bottom