• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
I did! My peeve is basically with the layout. Like the same article will be on the front page of Front Page, Politics, US, and maybe even another section or two. Now I haven't read the physical paper in years but I'm pretty sure things haven't gotten so bad that they're doing that now. Doesn't make for a good experience imo. And unless I'm missing something the options are extremely limited. My personal preference they should on Newsstand just deliver you the actual paper with its actual sections and corresponding articles, and then have a section for articles posted online since you got the paper or something. When I read the Economist I get the Economist for the most part, not some jank version that repeats articles in eight different places.

Also I know NY Times doesn't play nice with Instapaper (I believe) but if you have their damn app and subscribe, is there any way to save articles from web? I see a bunch of share stuff but I don't want to do that just save.
What you want is the Replica Edition:
NYT said:
The Replica Edition is an exact digital replica of the printed paper. It's not a Web site, but a digital page-by-page reproduction of the newspaper — including all the articles, photos, advertisements and more. View by section, by article or search by keyword. You can also enjoy reading The Replica Edition by downloading the PressReader software that allows you to store the last seven issues on your computer. You can then read content where ever you like without needing an active Internet connection.

More about the Replica Edition »
Now NYT doesn't want the Replica edition to be available on mobile devices but it's perfect for the new iPad :|... PressReader just released an update too:
U9mFu.png
I signed up for the NYT replica edition 2 week trial and then authorized my account in the PressReader iPad app, thereby unlocking access to the NYT issues which aren't usually on display. However there is one frustrating problem—it's not showing the most recent issues of the newspaper :|

You can still access the most recent issues via one of the third-party iOS browsers (have to change the user agent to impersonate a desktop browser) but it doesn't compare to the PressReader app.
Damn you NYTimes.

Teddman

Smash Comic & Manga Reader just got updated today with retina display support, so it should work fine with the new iPad now. I give it a big thumbs up for the "auto-zoom" feature, which makes reading comics in landscape mode a breeze--it's the next best thing to a guided panel view.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn you NYTimes.

ARGH why would they do this! I thought a nice high-res "multimedia" version of the day's NYT would be great and beautiful. If the e-version they put together was at least halfway decent, fine, but seeing the same headline and photo on like four sections?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This thing is so amazing for board games. Between all the great games on the platform and gorgeous super-readable PDFs of rules and the like my God I don't know how I got along without it.

mrkgoo

I can't believe people can't tone down their opinions in this thread. Oh right, anonymity=asshole.

To be fair, the opinion is not so harsh. "monstrosity" refers to it being large and immense.

Wood is so....try hard.

That said, I just go naked, so what would I know about cases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This thing is so amazing for board games. Between all the great games on the platform and gorgeous super-readable PDFs of rules and the like my God I don't know how I got along without it.

Kind of makes you want a giant version. Or being super luxurious and having multiple iPod touches for players to privately see their own cards etc. Mother Lode tries to offer a 'touch zone' where you can see your data only when you touch a bubble, so in theory you can cover the iPad with your hand to peek at stats etc. it's just badly implemented so you need to be an octopus to work it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kind of makes you want a giant version. Or being super luxurious and having multiple iPod touches for players to privately see their own cards etc. Mother Lode tries to offer a 'touch zone' where you can see your data only when you touch a bubble, so in theory you can cover the iPad with your hand to peek at stats etc. it's just badly implemented so you need to be an octopus to work it.

Hah yeah, well they did have that Scrabble game where everyone used their iPhones as racks and the iPad as a tablet. Seems excessive though. At game night on Monday we played Carcassonne and it was pretty solid. Not the tabletop experience mind you but we only had 20m and it definitely did the job in a pinch. Pretty great for reading manuals though -- full color (much as I love e-ink) and so much more convenient to carry around generally than most manuals which have weird shapes and are just unwieldy. Never mind the fact you can put ALL your board-game docs on here. :D I do hope one day they make a PDF reader that can render on the fly though iBooks is quite pretty but the page-loading is annoying, and GoodReader is arguably worse with the checkerboard background (think this was discussed ITT).

Killer

Banned
Hey guys. I'm having a big dilemma.

I just got 16 g model and after reading all fuss about the app sizes i kinda regret my purchase. I still haven't opened it yet, but i cant return it to the store either because all their sales are final( i know, its fucking bullshit). So i don't know, should i go ahead and open it or sell it? I bought it mainly to browse web, read books and maybe throw a few games in there then i realized if i'm traveling and i wanted to put some videos the 16 g isn't adequate.

so whacha guys think?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a particular reason why that setting would be a drain on the battery? I switched it off as suggested and waiting to see if does anything with my situation but wondered if this was a well known cause for battery drain. I've never seen this setting mentioned before.
This particular setting has a battery drain stigma from iOS 5.0 when it was glitched and checked your timezone once every 15 seconds or so which drained the battery heavily. It works fine now and the only reasons I can see turning it off helping is a) you're a OCD control freak or b) travel across timezones several times a day and you don't need to know the time proper. :)

Designing antennas that don't fucking suck must be really hard (for Apple).

According to an internal AppleCare document, Apple is actively investigating a series of WiFi-related issues affecting the third-generation iPad. Since the new iPad’s launch, many users have been complaining about third-generation iPad WiFi issues ranging from connection drops, slow download and upload speeds, or the device’s inability to even pickup local WiFi networks. A thread discussing the issue exists on Apple’s online support forums has almost amassed 700 replies from users with similar issues.

Besides the supposed third-generation iPad charging and overheating issues, the iPad WiFi issues were noted by the media during the past couple of weeks. Apple has taken notice and has admitted internally to some new iPad models having the WiFi issues described in numerous reports and on forum threads. The company says “symptoms can include, but are not limited to: intermittent connectivity, slow WiFi speeds, and WiFi network not seen.” Apple tells AppleCare employees to ensure that devices they test are not facing these issues due to normal software bugs, but instead because of the actual hardware components.

WiFi-only third-generation iPads are the only devices affected by these issues, according to Apple. The 4G LTE models are presumably safe from these issues due to the extra network power allowed by the black rubber cut on the top of the unit.

iPads that are affected by WiFi issues are supposed to be “Captured.” According to one source, “Captured” is code for the device to be immediately packed up and shipped to Apple’s engineering centers for examination and investigation. Apple employees are instructed to Capture the iPad itself and included accessories (the charging adapter and USB cord). Apple will replace affected units.

My WiFi-only model drops the connection few times, really annoying.

japtor

I do hope one day they make a PDF reader that can render on the fly though iBooks is quite pretty but the page-loading is annoying, and GoodReader is arguably worse with the checkerboard background (think this was discussed ITT).
I got PDF Expert and it's kind of better and worse at it. With the sample PDFs it came with it seemed better about caching ahead and keeping previous cache, but with some scanned textbook PDFs I had there were some slow rendering feeling bits. You'd think they could at least do a smooth fade/blur transition from the checkerboard or something to lessen the visual effect.

(also if anyone asks again why I hoped for a faster iPad, well this is another reason!)
Designing antennas that don't fucking suck must be really hard (for Apple).

My WiFi-only model drops the connection few times, really annoying.
Then exchange it? I haven't seen too many posts about it myself, but the people that had it got it replaced no problem. Just make sure it's not the iPad just not playing nice with your router or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't believe people can't tone down their opinions in this thread. Oh right, anonymity=asshole.
I have no problem telling people their Dodocase or Otterbox is hideous, on a forum or in my office.

Did I hurt your feelings? The opinion wasn't even harsh. You must be extra sensitive.

This particular setting has a battery drain stigma from iOS 5.0 when it was glitched and checked your timezone once every 15 seconds or so which drained the battery heavily. It works fine now and the only reasons I can see turning it off helping is a) you're a OCD control freak or b) travel across timezones several times a day and you don't need to know the time proper. :)

Figured as much. Turning it off did absolutely nothing for my battery life. I'm still steadily losing battery while in standby to the tune of 1% per hour or so. Made an appointment at the Genius Bar for Saturday. Going to see if they will exchange it for me.

1%/hour doesn't sound like a lot, but when you drop 8% overnight in Standby it kind of gets annoying. My first gen iPad wouldn't drop at all generally.

Killer

Banned
Hey guys. I'm having a big dilemma.

I just got 16 g model and after reading all fuss about the app sizes i kinda regret my purchase. I still haven't opened it yet, but i cant return it to the store either because all their sales are final( i know, its fucking bullshit). So i don't know, should i go ahead and open it or sell it? I bought it mainly to browse web, read books and maybe throw a few games in there then i realized if i'm traveling and i wanted to put some videos the 16 g isn't adequate.

so whacha guys think?

anyone?

MasLegio

Banned
Figured as much. Turning it off did absolutely nothing for my battery life. I'm still steadily losing battery while in standby to the tune of 1% per hour or so. Made an appointment at the Genius Bar for Saturday. Going to see if they will exchange it for me.

1%/hour doesn't sound like a lot, but when you drop 8% overnight in Standby it kind of gets annoying. My first gen iPad wouldn't drop at all generally.

have you looked at the notification settings?
maybe increase push/pull time for mail or other apps?

might also be wifi sync with itunes if you have your computer on during the night, if a notification activates your ipad during the night.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html
Let It Breathe
Charging your iPad while in certain carrying cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity. If you notice that your iPad gets hot when you charge it, take it out of its case first.
looks like we should remove our ipad from our cases whenever we connect it to the computer or charger

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3526981?start=0&tstart=0

have you looked at the notification settings?
maybe increase push/pull time for mail or other apps?

might also be wifi sync with itunes if you have your computer on during the night, if a notification activates your ipad during the night.

It is none of those things. My New iPad is set up identically to my iPad 1 and the battery on Standby in particular doesn't perform nearly as well.

Also, mine only sports a Smart Cover, so no case to effect the battery life.

MasLegio

Banned
It is none of those things. My New iPad is set up identically to my iPad 1 and the battery on Standby in particular doesn't perform nearly as well.

Also, mine only sports a Smart Cover, so no case to effect the battery life.

try and shut down every app before you go to bed and see if that helps.

then next night use it as normal and see if there is a difference.

then try to find out the app that might be affecting battery life

or it just is some setting for the ipad itself that is causing it

I read somewhere that corrupt contacts (in the contact list) might be a cause for bad battery life as well

http://www.technobuzz.net/11-tips-to-save-ipad-2-battery-life/

AEREC

If you really cant return it then just ebay/CG it and take a $50-$100 loss. 16GB is a pretty measily amount.

I splurged for the 64GB version and filled up half of it within the first 2 hours of having it with just my music, pictures and apps. Havent put any movies on it yet as those take up the most space, especially HD versions.

I have a 16gb and have had no problems, I have about 15 games, and another 30 apps and have only filled about half of it. If you can afford it, I suppose go for more space, but with app management (like deleting games you've beaten, or apps you don't use/play) you should be able to manage fine and still be able to throw a movie or two on there when a trip is occurring.

I'm going on a cruise in two weeks, and I'll probably need to remove some of my apps to fit three movies on there, but I have no problem doing that. If you have a problem doing that, then go ahead and exchange it.

try and shut down every app before you go to bed and see if that helps.

then next night use it as normal and see if there is a difference.

then try to find out the app that might be affecting battery life

or it just is some setting for the ipad itself that is causing it

I read somewhere that corrupt contacts (in the contact list) might be a cause for bad battery life as well

http://www.technobuzz.net/11-tips-to-save-ipad-2-battery-life/

There should never be a need to manage apps on that level but I have done a restart of the iPad right before going to sleep, which would kill all running processes, and it made no difference. The only thing that has helped at all was putting it in Airplane mode for the night. That caused a battery drop of 1%, which is about what I would expect.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to dealing with an iPad or technology in general. I've done all the typical things you would expect such as drain the battery completely then fully charge, restored the device from a back-up and from a completely new state. None of it seems to matter. I can have my two iPads sitting next to one another with identical settings and the iPad 1 is just fine while the New iPad drops steadily.

Killer

Banned
If you really cant return it then just ebay/CG it and take a $50-$100 loss. 16GB is a pretty measily amount.

I splurged for the 64GB version and filled up half of it within the first 2 hours of having it with just my music, pictures and apps. Havent put any movies on it yet as those take up the most space, especially HD versions.

I have a 16gb and have had no problems, I have about 15 games, and another 30 apps and have only filled about half of it. If you can afford it, I suppose go for more space, but with app management (like deleting games you've beaten, or apps you don't use/play) you should be able to manage fine and still be able to throw a movie or two on there when a trip is occurring.

I'm going on a cruise in two weeks, and I'll probably need to remove some of my apps to fit three movies on there, but I have no problem doing that. If you have a problem doing that, then go ahead and exchange it.

Thank you guys for the insight. I'll see my options. the problem is most of the stores around here don't have 32 gb. I'll wait for a bit till they have it in stock.

Thanks again.

Yaska

So what is the must-have comic book reader for your own scans? Comic book lover? Smash comic & manga? Comiczeal?

LCfiner

So what is the must-have comic book reader for your own scans? Comic book lover? Smash comic & manga? Comiczeal?

my preferences are: comic glass and bookman pro. both are optimized for the retina display and both allow for dropbox downloads of files (though bookman pro is better integrated with it)

they both seem to have lots of options for tap zones and zoom levels but, honestly, I never bother with customizing zoom levels. I just read a full page with no fancy zooming. it's all legible (even on the older ipads)

I've tried most of the apps and ComicGlass is the best I've used, and (barring updates to other programs changing things) has the best 2-page displaying I've seen. Bookman does some stuff well, too (I really liked FTP access for file transfers as it's faster than any other method I've seen). Zeal is mediocre unless you're on a phone, in which case its interface starts to matter more.

I haven't tried Smash (it looks new), although the file transfer options appear pretty featured. If someone has it I'd love to see opinions and a description of how the wifi file transfer works.

Is there an iPad3 case that makes holding it feel like I'm using an iPad1 with the old Apple case? The edges dig into my hands and it gets uncomfortable, while the old square iPad1 design didn't have any of those problems (side buttons felt a lot better on that, too). The Dodocase looked ok but bulkier than I'd like.

If you delete all background apps, and restart the device, does the problem still occur?

nope still. I dont think it is a caching issue or else it would have loaded pixelated. It loads fine, then pixelates 3 seconds later which is teh time it should change to next image

One other thing I noticed

I have set the transition to 3 seconds, it loads the images fine for 3 seconds, pixelates, stays for ANOTHER 3 seconds before transitioning to the new image. same thing if i change it to 2 seconds or 5 seconds

Top Bottom