• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you on Mac or Windows? What kind of processor do you have?

The video is probably fine but to be natively supported iPad audio has to be like 2 channel AAC iirc so you just need a program that will convert the audio and sync it back up. I read on the Air Video forums that they were working on adding that but until then you might want to try this app. It's rough around the edges but it's worked fine for me except for the subtitle feature and the slight nuisance that it doesn't warn you when it's finished.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvavi2mp4/

There are a few methods on pc, but I'd love that to be remote too - eg as an addition to air video, so it knows it doesn't have to fully convert, just remux.

ElyrionX

The video is probably fine but to be natively supported iPad audio has to be like 2 channel AAC iirc so you just need a program that will convert the audio and sync it back up. I read on the Air Video forums that they were working on adding that but until then you might want to try this app. It's rough around the edges but it's worked fine for me except for the subtitle feature and the slight nuisance that it doesn't warn you when it's finished.

PC, i5 2500k (Sandy Bridge).

I did a quick google of MKV to iPad and found quite a few different programs but I'm kind of hesitant to try something that isn't GAF-endorsed, so to speak.

Air Video has a live conversion bitrate setting in the app I think, try enabling the higher bitrates.

I've already put all conversion settings to the highet quality available but Live Conversion still looks bad compared to a pre-converted file.

yogloo

smartcovers are all noce but so damn hard to install correctly. if you have a good eyesight you keep noticing dustflakes or microbubbles, for me it annoys the hell out. Personally I use microfiber to clean my ipad now and then.

I use my pants or my shirt.

For the next iPad Apple needs to think of a way to allow us to use it without getting the screen all dirty every time. Control pad maybe on the sides? There's a lot of wasted space there on the bezel that you could do some cool stuff with -- maybe even replace the touchscreen.

Buy a capacitive stylus. Friends of mine laughed when mine came in yesterday and I brought it to work. Now a couple are buying their own because it's surprisingly comfortable to use while keeping the screen cleaner than it would otherwise be with your fingerprints. I can still launch programs, scroll through my Reeder list and, if stressed, even tap out a slightly pixelated response to my colleagues in Mail with the stylus just fine.

Now I just need to find a case with a little slot for a pen, and I'll be set.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
smartcovers are all noce but so damn hard to install correctly. if you have a good eyesight you keep noticing dustflakes or microbubbles, for me it annoys the hell out. Personally I use microfiber to clean my ipad now and then.

Huh? Are you talking about screen protectors?

Tobor

Lol. You're talking about a screen protector. They suck and should be avoided. I'm talking about the smart cover, it's a completely different thing.

hirokazu

Is the Wi-Fi issues only related to dropouts and hotspots not showing up? Or does it also include weaker than expected range?

I noticed on the other side of the house my iPad will connect to the hotspot, but the signal is so weak it can't do anything beyond that. The PS3, iPhones and iPad 2s can connect and get network access there despite the weak signal.

Chao

It is if below is to be believed

9to5mac.png

That screenshot needs a "Fuck the police" caption somewhere

ido

Thinking of getting the hdmi adapter to use with air video and avplayer.

Will it display full screen onto my TV with these apps?

Ambitious

Just heard about that WiFi problems and compared loading times between my iPad 1 and my iPad 3. On average, it takes about 30 seconds longer to load a site on the iPad 3. Great.

Took my iPad by the Apple Store today and had them look at it for the battery issue I've been having. (Dropping 8%-10% over night on standby) They told me the battery seemed to be operating within acceptable range, but offered to exchange it anyway. I took them up on the offer, but unfortunately they didn't have an 64GB Black Verizon LTE models in stock so I have to wait until they arrive.

Looking forward to seeing if the new model fixes my issue.

Huh. Seemed that way.
I was uploading a bunch of files when I compared them. Not sure if and how that could affect the speed of just one of the devices. But when comparing now, the new iPad is faster or at least equal. Dunno.

Sorry I should have explained. Only wifi models are effect.

Apparently

railGUN

Banned
Decided to get a replacement for my launch day iPad gen 3 today. I noticed a greenish discolouration in the lower third of the display, slightly above the home button. It's only apparent on white backgrounds, but I always noticed it when using the SecondApps GAF page, and what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Unfortunately there are no Apple stores near me, so I have to send it away and wait for them to send me a new one, probably be 2 weeks without it, but I'll live.

Debated about sending it back for a few days, but I plan on keeping it for a long time (not planning on selling for next version, will probably give it to my wife) so I figured I'd get it over with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm firmly in "how did I live without this thing?" territory.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm picking up some accessories for an upcoming trip -- any good ones I'm missing? I already have a case so I'm good on cover stuff.

Morphie Juice Pack -- Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems well-reviewed.
World Travel Adapter Kit -- Is this worthwhile since I already have some generic plug adapters. Not sure what the added value is exactly but maybe I'm missing something.
Digital AV Adapter -- So with this I can watch HBO Go from my iPad to my TV?

Any other similar stuff?

sruckus

Thanks for that. Was looking for an alternative to Subler, which I use on my Mac. That's the closest I've seen without trying to put something together using all those utilties myself. Still won't work for me though since my eventual plan is to convert all my MKVs to mp4 and be able to use them everywhere, but for that I need a remuxer that allows multiple audio tracks. Subler does all that, it's just I don't want to have to plug my laptop into ethernet to remux all the videos from my NAS at a reasonable speed. May have to, though.

Clott

Been loving my Ipad, but I am thinking of bringing a macbook into the picture for work related reasons.

I will be shooting a film soon and will be doing so on a red scarlet which I have recently purchased, so I will be using the thunderbolt input to be able to help dump the huge files the thing will be throwing at me, but on the other hand I hear that the new Pro is coming out in 2-3 weeks and I wonder if it's going to really change things from the current set up, is the new ivy bridge that much better than sandy.

Tobor

I'm picking up some accessories for an upcoming trip -- any good ones I'm missing? I already have a case so I'm good on cover stuff.

Morphie Juice Pack -- Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems well-reviewed.
World Travel Adapter Kit -- Is this worthwhile since I already have some generic plug adapters. Not sure what the added value is exactly but maybe I'm missing something.

Any other similar stuff?

Nope. Fucking HBO blocks it.

Every other browser is much slower compared to Safari. It's because of something Apple prevents devs to use. It's the reason I don't use iCab anymore.

Much slower: overstatement of the century. Are miliseconds that important to you?
If you want fast go with Opera... but guess what, Opera manages to be the only browser on iPad that's even worse than Safari, so... heh.

I can't even begin to address anyone who defends Safari as their browser of choice on the Pad. The lack of features is absurdly appaling. It's not a bad browser, but it's clearly one of the worse ones available.

Ok, need an image viewer app which allows me to put folders into it (as opposed to individual photos).

The apple app does this thing where 220mb's worth of images take up 7,8GB of space, so I need an alternative.

Anyone?

VPhys

Anyone looking for a deal on a sleeve: Verizon Deluxe Leather Tablet Sleeve With Front Pocket for $2.99 shipped.

I picked this up when they had a 2 pack for the same price (???). Great fit even with a smart cover on.

7oyCf.jpg

$1.99 here

http://www.dealmoon.com/1-Verizon-D...ith-Modem-Pouch-Fits-Most-Tablets/145572.html

Something is up with this sleve, it seems to be on sale for two to three dollars on various websites, maybe it is only worth that much. And I hardly doubt it's real leather.

Teddman

Get a $50 Roku LT.

It's only $10 more than the AV adapter and has an HBO GO streaming channel (plus Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Amazon, etc.)

And... it's more portable than the iPad + adapter too.

Teddman

Wasn't aware that some cable providers were blocking the HBO GO channel on Roku devices (over HBO's objections, no less). Now that's just wrong.

railGUN

Banned
So I broke down and got AppleCare, so I can now get expedited shipping, and get my replacement iPad at the same time as my return box (meaning no downtime). Not thrilled, but at least I have damage protection now. Wish I had a local Apple store, but the closest one is like 700 km away.

dc89

Picked one up. 16GB 3G&WiFi. It's all I need storage wise. On my iPad 2 I still had 7GB of space left.

Talking of my iPad 2, sold it for £310 on eBay, that too was 16GB 3G. And I get discount from where I work so I paid like £95 for this upgrade. Very nice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Much slower: overstatement of the century. Are miliseconds that important to you?
If you want fast go with Opera... but guess what, Opera manages to be the only browser on iPad that's even worse than Safari, so... heh.

I can't even begin to address anyone who defends Safari as their browser of choice on the Pad. The lack of features is absurdly appaling. It's not a bad browser, but it's clearly one of the worse ones available.

Milliseconds? When is the last time you used Safari? It is substantially faster and the reason why I switched over from iCab.

Here's an email between iCab's dev and I:

>Additionally, video performance has been sluggish. I can't fluidly
>scroll on a website with HTML 5 video after starting the video like I
>could with the previous version of iCab.

Yes, I know. Unfortunately I was forced to make this change because Apple
has requested this. There's a big issue with the "Web View" object of the
iOS we need to use to display web pages (Apple doesn't allow other web
engines than their own), and this is issue is that the scrolling is very
jerky, especially on more complex web pages. This is a well know issue
from the beginning. Writing bugreports to Apple didn't help, the scrolling
issue did never get fixed. But because Safari doesn't have an issue with
the scrolling though it uses the same web engine, it seems that there's a
hidden (private) call in the iOS which enabled the smooth scrolling.
So because Apple has obviously no intention in fixing this issue,
developers started to "fix" this by themselves by using this private
(but forbidden) call. All other web browser in the App store are doing
this, and iCab did this as well. But now Apple has detected this in iCab
and demanded that I remove this private call. It is possible that Apple
will be more strict in general now, so maybe in the future you'll see
more and more Apps getting jerky scrolling, when Apple is asking the
developers to remove this special call from their Apps as well.

I'll try to do my best to convice Apple to finally fix this scrolling

If I need to use a feature not in Safari, I'll open up iCab but those instances are far and few in between. Maybe you're alright with these issues but I'll take a more fluid experience any day.

Milliseconds? When is the last time you used Safari? It is substantially faster and the reason why I switched over from iCab.

Here's an email between iCab's dev and I:

If I need to use a feature not in Safari, I'll open up iCab but those instances are far and few in between. Maybe you're alright with these issues but I'll take a more fluid experience any day.

I switched from icab to Dolphin and just compared the scrolling between it and Safari. It looks like Dolphin lacks some sort of VSync, which makes the scrolling look jerky, but it's not slower. It just doesn't look as nice. I really like the UI of Dolphin, switching tabs and opening bookmarks by swiping from the left and right is great. Much more comfortable than moving the finger always all the way up to the top. That, and it keeps playing videos, when I switch tabs.

AEREC

This may seem like a dumb question but how can I tell for sure that I have an iPad 3? Is there anything in the settings or box that will say it?

Im only asking beacuse I bought it from Best Buy 2 weeks ago and they told me it was the latest iPad and the price of it matched up with the correct price..however in itunes under "manage my devices" it refers to it as an iPad 2. Is this just a mistake on Apples/itunes part?

Edit: Nevermind...I found a place where I could check model numbers for the new iPads. Im guessing this is just a minor issue on Apple's side.

giga

This may seem like a dumb question but how can I tell for sure that I have an iPad 3? Is there anything in the settings or box that will say it?

Im only asking beacuse I bought it from Best Buy 2 weeks ago and they told me it was the latest iPad and the price of it matched up with the correct price..however in itunes under "manage my devices" it refers to it as an iPad 2. Is this just a mistake on Apples/itunes part?

Edit: Nevermind...I found a place where I could check model numbers for the new iPads. Im guessing this is just a minor issue on Apple's side.
Uh it definitely shouldn't show an iPad 2. Google apple warranty check and enter your serial number. The old iPad 2 box also had a wallpaper with raindrops.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The new iPad's box has an iPad at a sharp angle with a blue background.

Also, do you have a Settings > General > Keyboard > Dictation option? Dictation is only available on the new iPad.

AEREC

Uh it definitely shouldn't show an iPad 2. Google apple warranty check and enter your serial number. The old iPad 2 box also had a wallpaper with raindrops.

The new iPad's box has an iPad at a sharp angle with a blue background.

Also, do you have a Settings > General > Keyboard > Dictation option? Dictation is only available on the new iPad.

Thanks...I was able to check model numbers...it's definitely an iPad 3. It has dictation and the box has the iPad at a slanted side view with the "still water" background and not the raindrops.

Top Bottom