• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Sup iPadGAF!

I was thinking of getting a 2 with one of those Logitech keyboard case thing, to take notes in class come september, it's better than carrying a laptop around with me all day again plus the battery lasts longer.

But it might seem practical now, but I'm afraid it won't work as good as a laptop.

So is an iPad practical for word processing using Pages?

Reclaimer

Sup iPadGAF!

I was thinking of getting a 2 with one of those Logitech keyboard case thing, to take notes in class come september, it's better than carrying a laptop around with me all day again plus the battery lasts longer.

But it might seem practical now, but I'm afraid it won't work as good as a laptop.

That case/keyboard combo is pretty good, especially of you need an all in one solution. They keys on the one I tried were pretty nice, still felt a bit cramped for some reason, but I think I could have gotten used to it quickly.

I ended up going with an apple Bluetooth keyboard and a small stand, and then upgraded to a smart cover to prop up the iPad. I don't always use/need the keyboard, so I decided I'd rather not always lug it around with me.

Edit: If you don't need a case for the iPad, this looks great too! Now my apple keyboard is jealous.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/ipad/devices/tablet-keyboard-ipad

MasLegio

Banned
Sup iPadGAF!

ipad is good for taking notes and writing simple documents and for pure writing
not so good for writing more heavy duty papers that require research and reading other documents at the same time. iPad still sucks at proper multitasking. But it is a good tool to have beside a laptop while researching and writing more advanced papers.

I would recommend you use Evernote for taking notes instead of using pages. You can record the lecture while taking notes and it saves instantly to the cloud (the proper one, not iCloud) so you can access the notes on all devices using Evernote.

sruckus

That case/keyboard combo is pretty good, especially of you need an all in one solution. They keys on the one I tried were pretty nice, still felt a bit cramped for some reason, but I think I could have gotten used to it quickly.

I ended up going with an apple Bluetooth keyboard and a small stand, and then upgraded to a smart cover to prop up the iPad. I don't always use/need the keyboard, so I decided I'd rather not always lug it around with me.

Edit: If you don't need a case for the iPad, this looks great too! Now my apple keyboard is jealous.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/ipad/devices/tablet-keyboard-ipad

I like the case/keyboard combo, keeping it as small as possible. I've played around with it today and whilst it is quite small like you said, it's manageable I think.

ipad is good for taking notes and writing simple documents and for pure writing
not so good for writing more heavy duty papers that require research and reading other documents at the same time. iPad still sucks at proper multitasking. But it is a good tool to have beside a laptop while researching and writing more advanced papers.

I would recommend you use Evernote for taking notes instead of using pages. You can record the lecture while taking notes and it saves instantly to the cloud (the proper one, not iCloud) so you can access the notes on all devices using Evernote.

I would use my laptop for the heavy stuff, I would only use the iPad when in class to write down some stuff. I will think it over a bit and look into Evernote.

Thanks for the input guys !

mhayze

Sup iPadGAF!

I used the Logitech for a while, I also bought the Adonit Writer because it felt more tablet-like as a package. In the end, it's not a good laptop replacement if you need a wide variety of functions, but that was just in my use, YMMV.

Milliseconds? When is the last time you used Safari? It is substantially faster and the reason why I switched over from iCab.

Here's an email between iCab's dev and I:

If I need to use a feature not in Safari, I'll open up iCab but those instances are far and few in between. Maybe you're alright with these issues but I'll take a more fluid experience any day.

The last time? 2 weeks ago when I bought the Pad. Give me Atomic or Mercury over Safari anyday... iCab is by far the slowest option, but I still preffer it to Safari. Is iCab the only one you'vre tried?? Personally, it's Atomic=Mercury>Dolphin>Dolphin>Safari>Opera.

If features vs speed is the issue, atomic and mercury are clearly the winners. Almost as fast as Saf and packed with more than enough features to make that tiny difference in speed insignificant. They're basically twins, but I'm partial to atomic, as it takes up less space. There's a lite version for Atomic, you should check it out...

Dolphin is like the first 2 except with some features absent and no extra speed. iCab is packed to the brim with features but the trade off is it's somewhat sluggish speed. Safari is fast and competent but lacking in features...

Opera is a one trick pony: the fastest one by far, but that's about it. Good for low speed connections.

This is my personal opinion from my experience with them. If speed is all you care about, get Opera. But I advise you to try the lite version of atomic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To hold one handed for extended periods of time. It's true.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
To hold one handed for extended periods of time. It's true.

So was the Ipad 2. You need kindle weight to hold comfortably one handed and the glass alone prevents it from being that light. I always have the ipad resting on something, either my lap or a table and so I am never bothered by its weight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Remember when iPods used to be all big? I'm guessing we'll look back on these similarly one day. Hopefully fairly soon. :D Though I realize we're getting into really messy territory here w/rt/ battery life, glass, etc. Probably going to need MagicTech.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I sorta cradle it in my left arm sorta. With my fingers curled over the top. Like a hot young camp counselor holding a clip board while erotically chewing on a pen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Keep going.
Well, they were out of small sized TShirts so I have to wear a comically revealing child's size shirt. I'm usually always soaked head to toe too, since the kids like to squirt me with their water guns.

Heel

Well, they were out of small sized TShirts so I have to wear a comically revealing child's size shirt. I'm usually always soaked head to toe too, since the kids like to squirt me with their water guns.

ibnwSYLbvYSvSa.gif

ElyrionX

Wow that Logitech keyboard thing looks amazing.

ElyrionX

I bought iCab based on GAF recommendations that it could do multi-tab browsing effectively on the iPad 1. Basically, GAF lied. It was great and very customizable but instead of having to reload other offscreen tabs when browsing, iCab just crashed every damn time it ran out of memory, which was very often. It was also really slow compared to Safari. In the end, I went back to Safari.

Now on the iPad 3, I tried using iCab again (since I already bought it for the iPad 1) but I found it to be loaded with a ton of random bugs and issues. I think they just haven't updated it properly for the iPad 3 yet. Plus, it remains slower than Safari. So I'm back to Safari again. I can do without all the bells and whistles of a browser as long as it is stable and fast. Safari does that well enough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The last time? 2 weeks ago when I bought the Pad. Give me Atomic or Mercury over Safari anyday... iCab is by far the slowest option, but I still preffer it to Safari. Is iCab the only one you'vre tried?? Personally, it's Atomic=Mercury>Dolphin>Dolphin>Safari>Opera.

If features vs speed is the issue, atomic and mercury are clearly the winners. Almost as fast as Saf and packed with more than enough features to make that tiny difference in speed insignificant. They're basically twins, but I'm partial to atomic, as it takes up less space. There's a lite version for Atomic, you should check it out...

Dolphin is like the first 2 except with some features absent and no extra speed. iCab is packed to the brim with features but the trade off is it's somewhat sluggish speed. Safari is fast and competent but lacking in features...

Opera is a one trick pony: the fastest one by far, but that's about it. Good for low speed connections.

This is my personal opinion from my experience with them. If speed is all you care about, get Opera. But I advise you to try the lite version of atomic.

What kinds of features to distinguish them over safari?

giga

I've had a kindle fire for about a week now. Are you guys interested in a comparison between the two? I know they're two very different price points, but I feel some view them as substitutes and/or comparable devices since they're both tablets that let your surf, run apps, view photos, and so on. I won't compare hardware as much as software--think lots of screenshots.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Again... Don't settle for Safari because you don't like iCab. Atomic is the way to go. There's a lite version, so just try it out.
What's so much better about using Atomic compared to Safari if I have to deal with janky scrolling? What am I missing?

dream

I've had a kindle fire for about a week now. Are you guys interested in a comparison between the two? I know they're two very different price points, but I feel some view them as substitutes and/or comparable devices since they're both tablets that let your surf, run apps, view photos, and so on. I won't compare hardware as much as software--think lots of screenshots.

I'm interested.

What's so much better about using Atomic compared to Safari if I have to deal with janky scrolling? What am I missing?

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

Janky Scrolling? Oo what in the hell do you mean?

What are you missing? How 'bout all the gesture mapping, the costumisation of the whole UI, text reflow-esque capabilities, erm... Everything?

What in the hell do you mean by janky scrolling? It's exactly the same as it's in Safari! Are you some sort of apple-enthusiast or are you actually for real, here?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

What are you missing? How 'bout all the gesture mapping, the costumisation of the whole UI, text reflow-esque capabilities, erm... Everything?

What in the hell do you mean by janky scrolling? It's exactly the same as it's in Safari! Are you some sort of apple-enthusiast or are you actually for real, here?

Deep breaths there big guy.

It's janky and ugly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You've owned an iPad for like two weeks and already you're an elitist little shit. Not to mention the fact that all the things you mentioned are all useless. Customizing the UI? Who cares.

Synless

Is this new iPad worth the upgrade? Hyperbole aside. I want to sell my iPad 2 to my brother-in-law and was looking at speed tests and it appears to be slower. How accurate is this? How are the framerates in the games with the retina update? I only ask because I see it uses the same CPU.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You've owned an iPad for like two weeks and already you're an elitist little shit. Not to mention the fact that all the things you mentioned are all useless. Customizing the UI? Who cares.

If you have an Apple TV and enjoy web videos like Giant Bomb or Tested, Atomic or a similar browser is a necessity. Safari shuts down video play when switching tabs. Atomic doesn't. So you can browse on your ipad (or even play a few games of Carcassonne) while watching a Giant Bomb video on your tv.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I use my iPad for 4 primary things.

1. Web browsing.
2. Books (Leisure reading, not studying)
3. Comics
4. Video's.

I've upgraded my iPad 1 to a 2 last year when it came out and this year I was on the fence for a while, but seeing as my primary use benefits quite a bit from the upgraded screen and I came into a bit of money as a gift from my parents who recently sold their house with orders to do something fun with it I figured what the heck and bought an 3 today.

But hot-damn, comics look just drop-dead gorgeous now, way better then physical copies tbh (some people might get pissed off but it's the god-to-honest-truth).

I mean just look at it (and then know it looks at least 3x as good on the actual machine):

Bboy AJ

If you have an Apple TV and enjoy web videos like Giant Bomb or Tested, Atomic or a similar browser is a necessity. Safari shuts down video play when switching tabs. Atomic doesn't. So you can browse on your ipad (or even play a few games of Carcassonne) while watching a Giant Bomb video on your tv.

Thank you. That's something in Atomic's corner. On the other hand, I don't have any personal use for it. I feel like the only bonus for me would be the gesture browsing but it's not enough that I care to switch.

AEREC

Is this new iPad worth the upgrade? Hyperbole aside. I want to sell my iPad 2 to my brother-in-law and was looking at speed tests and it appears to be slower. How accurate is this? How are the framerates in the games with the retina update? I only ask because I see it uses the same CPU.

I thought the A5X in the iPad 3 had a better GPU than the A5 in the iPad 2. Framerates are fine in game like Real Racing 2 HD, though they are not the constant 60fps I was expecting it's still pretty smooth.

Though this is my first iPad, I think it's worth it for the retina display alone...I just wish more games would update for the retina display. I was just playing some DrawRace 2 and the jaggies make it painful to look at.

It ain't that serious, calm down

Synless

I thought the A5X in the iPad 3 had a better GPU than the A5 in the iPad 2. Framerates are fine in game like Real Racing 2 HD, though they are not the constant 60fps I was expecting it's still pretty smooth.

Though this is my first iPad, I think it's worth it for the retina display alone...I just wish more games would update for the retina display. I was just playing some DrawRace 2 and the jaggies make it painful to look at.

Right, they did update the GPU, but the CPU is exactly the same, which is why I have concern. Not that your input isn't helpful, but I am looking for posters who have experiences with running apps and such on both the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
So I use my iPad for 4 primary things.

1. Web browsing.
2. Books (Leisure reading, not studying)
3. Comics
4. Video's.

I've upgraded my iPad 1 to a 2 last year when it came out and this year I was on the fence for a while, but seeing as my primary use benefits quite a bit from the upgraded screen and I came into a bit of money as a gift from my parents who recently sold their house with orders to do something fun with it I figured what the heck and bought an 3 today.

But hot-damn, comics look just drop-dead gorgeous now, way better then physical copies tbh (some people might get pissed off but it's the god-to-honest-truth).

I mean just look at it (and then know it looks at least 3x as good on the actual machine):

that pic makes me want to buy a new ipad right now but i will wait for ipad 4 or whatever they call it.

I've owned an iPad for 2 weeks? Huh?

Well, if every single feature is useless to you I suppose you were still using Internet Explorer back when it was absolutely owned by Firefox. Who cares about options right? Why would I want the tabs to be displayed when I can just as easily have absolutely no choice in how I organize my browser? Why would I want text reflow? Why would I want to assign specific gestures to a certain action?

Why wouldn't I want the option to do these things if I want to? Why would I chooe a browser who restricts my experience and whose only advantage is speed. And a barely noticeable advantage, at that.
If all you care about is speed just go with Opera, then. It's pretty much tied with Safari for features and it's 3 times faster... And it's also free.

The thing is, I've actually been using iOS devices for more than 3 years and I've pretty much tried all the browsers extensively (except for Mercury, which I only used for a few days before realising it was pretty much like Atomic). And you're calling me an elitist for trying to show you something better.

I'm not saying Safari sucks... it doesn't, it's very competent and efficient, but it's very lacking in comparison to other browsers available on the platform.

As for the whole janky scrollingate, the "what in the hell" wasn't about me feeling insulted, I'm actually curious as to what you mean by it, as the scrolling is just as responsive as scrolling on safari.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Can't compare it to ipad 2 since this is my first ipad but Infinity Blade II runs great. What games out there actually tax the iPad though? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Then again I've only owned the thing for about two weeks now. :)

Synless

Can't compare it to ipad 2 since this is my first ipad but Infinity Blade II runs great. What games out there actually tax the iPad though? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Then again I've only owned the thing for about two weeks now. :)

I had read/heard that with the huge increase in resolution that games that ran great on the iPad 2 are running worse on the ipad3 due to the fact the didn't improve the CPU speeds regardless of the GPU increase. I just wanted to know how accurate that is.

Right, they did update the GPU, but the CPU is exactly the same, which is why I have concern. Not that your input isn't helpful, but I am looking for posters who have experiences with running apps and such on both the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

Not worth it despite the thread hyperbole. Why? It's heavier, hotter, wifi issues, shorter battery life, not faster. The only gain is the resolution and LTE.

I'm coming from an ipad 2 that I gave to my girl and honestly I could've waited another year and got a better cpu, etc.

It's like a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is nice, but if you're not planning on upgrading every year then wait for the fourth generation which will bring performance improvements.

Is there an option to play all videos in a playlist for AVPlayerHD? I can't seem to find it, seems like the option would obviously be included.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not worth it despite the thread hyperbole. Why? It's heavier, hotter, wifi issues, shorter battery life, not faster. The only gain is the resolution and LTE.

I'm coming from an ipad 2 that I gave to my girl and honestly I could've waited another year and got a better cpu, etc.

It's like a lateral move. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is nice, but if you're not planning on upgrading every year then wait for the fourth generation which will bring performance improvements.

Wasn't there a ram increase? Are people seeing eg safari hold onto pages for longer before needing to refresh compared to iPad 2?

Top Bottom