• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 1UP Podcast Preservation Society

fatty

If you are wanting to still download them, check 1UP. Was able to download the rest of the Retronauts episodes. :)

Edit: For those of you filing the episodes, R010709 should actually be R010710 (episode #84).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The 1UP Yours torrent that was posted seems kind of messed up, I'm getting like .3k/sec when I just checked, and after 3 days I'm still only at 80%. Does it just need more seeders or something?

Edit: Finally got it and seeding, so maybe that will help it.

Jarnet87

I'm watching The 1up Show season 4 episode 11/17/06 during the PS3 launch segment, and they ask the first guy in the interview what he is feeling from the PS3 launch. He responds "Metal Gear and FF series, especially 13 Versus." Cracked up listening to this. Poor guy must have had a very sad year or two with the system.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm watching The 1up Show season 4 episode 11/17/06 during the PS3 launch segment, and they ask the first guy in the interview what he is feeling from the PS3 launch. He responds "Metal Gear and FF series, especially 13 Versus." Cracked up listening to this. Poor guy must have had a very sad year or two with the system.

Hehe.

Hopefully we can get a torrent for the 1Up Show as well.

Skytylz

Banned
I can't seed the 1UP yours torrent for a month or so and last I checked no one else was currently seeding so I'll post back when I can start seeding again if anyone else wants to download it.

Blueblur1

I can't seed the 1UP yours torrent for a month or so and last I checked no one else was currently seeding so I'll post back when I can start seeding again if anyone else wants to download it.

I only got to 54%. I would seed the whole thing if I could.

We'll provide at least a month's notice if the site is to be shut down.

That's great to hear. I'm always worried I'll miss out on getting the content before it's finally all blown up.

For what it's worth in terms of preservation, I have all of 1UP Yours, GFW Radio, EGM Live*, RadiOPM, ListenUP, 4 Guys 1UP, and the original run of Retronauts (only about half of Retronauts Live). I have none of The 1UP Show or any of the other content. Would love if people could secure those, but I'll get around to downloading them eventually so long as the site is still up.

I plan to start a proper archive for the likes of GFW Radio soon -- as in a proper website with show notes, images, links, a page for each episode, and that sort of thing. It'll be part of the This Year network.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Don't know about that, but we'll be archiving podcasts on the IGN YouTube channel, and I assume the ones on iTunes are there in perpetuity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't know about that, but we'll be archiving podcasts on the IGN YouTube channel, and I assume the ones on iTunes are there in perpetuity.
The feeds on iTunes still use the 1up.com RSS feeds. If you can keep those up even if/when the main site shuts down, then they'll still be there at least. (I would hope that the new Ziff Davis wouldn't want to sell the 1up.com domain name anyway...)

I appreciate that people are keeping private collections and such, but that's almost like old video game archiving - it limits the availability of the shows to a select few.

Youtube is a good solution too. I only propose archive.org if only because they exist to preserve old content and make it available to as many people as possible.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone posted a Retronauts torrent yet? Trying to double check before I just manually dl them...

Jarnet87

I just got into 1up yours the other day. The early early stuff, like 2005 and early 06 wasn't anything special and served more as like a news update, but the episodes when Garnett and John Davidson started to host in like March/April of 06 are great.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Also, we need seeds, not dudes looking to monetize someone else's content.

I been seeding a 1upYours torrent created on 2-26-2013 and a GFW Radio torrent created on 1-7-2009.

I'm trying to get a Retronauts from 1-10-2009, a Broken Pixels from 6-23-2011, a Retronauts Bonus Stage from 1-9-2009, and a 1upShow from 1-16-2009, but there just are no seeds.

I guess the effort fizzled when we heard the files would stay up...

snap0212

Also, we need seeds, not dudes looking to monetize someone else's content.

I been seeding a 1upYours torrent created on 2-26-2013 and a GFW Radio torrent created on 1-7-2009.

I'm trying to get a Retronauts from 1-10-2009, a Broken Pixels from 6-23-2011, a Retronauts Bonus Stage from 1-9-2009, and a 1upShow from 1-16-2009, but there just are no seeds.

I guess the effort fizzled when we heard the files would stay up...
Okay, let's get this back on track. Two questions, though.

What do we have torrents for and where are they?

What does the copyright situation look like? I really don't want to seed something and then get a letter from someone for distributing copyrighted material.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay, let's get this back on track. Two questions, though.

What do we have torrents for and where are they?

What does the copyright situation look like? I really don't want to seed something and then get a letter from someone for distributing copyrighted material.

It's a fair question but I just honestly don't see enforcement happening for this material, which was offered free in the first place. I suppose officially Ziff Davis now owns those rights... again.

As for the torrents, search "1up" and "Retronauts" at kat.ph and you'll get all the torrent files I have found, though as I mentioned only two of them are still alive.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
From MarkMacD's twitter:

pDdGDJy.jpg

UTodI9E.jpg

Ryan is unrecognizable...

Imbarkus

Is it me, or does Jane look like Bjork (the singer, not the GAF poster) with glasses?

Jane is my only inappropriate internet crush-obsession. The 1upShow theme song is still the ringtone on my phone.

I had an interview at Foundation 9 once. Too bad I didn't get the job, because I might have had the chance to meet her.

She pretty much single-handedly launched the phenomnenon of 1up podcasts, herself and a microphone.

She pretty much single-handedly launched the phenomnenon of 1up podcasts, herself and a microphone.
Recently Garnett Lee made the claim that he created 1up Yours. I don't know, maybe he did and I just don't know the whole story, but Jane was the one who did the first show and I could have sworn it was her creation. It doesn't ultimately matter, I'm just sayin'.

Imbarkus

Recently Garnett Lee made the claim that he created 1up Yours. I don't know, maybe he did and I just don't know the whole story, but Jane was the one who did the first show and I could have sworn it was her creation. It doesn't ultimately matter, I'm just sayin'.

Yep I remember like you do. I don't think it was called 1up Yours back when Jane was doing it.

Maybe it's when classy names like 1up Yours and 4 Guys, 1up came in that you can start to see Garnett's influence. ;D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jane is my only inappropriate internet crush-obsession. The 1upShow theme song is still the ringtone on my phone.

I had an interview at Foundation 9 once. Too bad I didn't get the job, because I might have had the chance to meet her.

I really wish she used twitter more often.

mattiewheels

I need to see more new photos of Ryan to double check that its the same guy. That's quite a transformation.

I just got all the Retronauts episodes from that link, but most do not have ID3 tags. Does anyone know what the naming convention is?
Yeah they've always been named oddly. They're named the dates of the individual podcasts.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I numbered them in order to maintain some semblance of order and split them up by year.

An example:

OBNIr6y.jpg

The first episode being October 4th 2006, the second being October 11th, 2006, etc.

Yeah they've always been named oddly. They're named the dates of the individual podcasts.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I numbered them in order to maintain some semblance of order and split them up by year.

An example:

OBNIr6y.jpg

The first episode being October 4th 2006, the second being October 11th, 2006, etc.

Well it looks like the link I used to download the episodes only had back to 2009. Any clue where to get all of them?

Does anyone have updated links for the various torrents? I'm helping out through http://archiveteam.org/ to put together a proper archive of the podcasts with 1up/IGN/Gamespy/UGO going away soon.

If anyone would like to help out in any other way (we're interested in gathering a proper archive of the sites and media, but the goal of Archiveteam goes further into preserving culture as well) we have a wiki page up at http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Gamespy,_1up,_UGO,_IGN

So far I have the following complete:

* GFW Radio Complete

In progress:

* 1up Yours
* Broken Pixels (original quality MOV)

I'm hoping to grab as much of the existing stuff as possible (unfortunately Mininova links are all dead) and then I'll scrape the rest the best I can.

Schrade

Ohhh yeah. I forgot that I wanted to give a link for people to download the soundtrack again.

Click on the "Quote" link on this post and look at the text you've quoted in the edit box. You'll see the link in there at the bottom. Just copy and paste it into a new tab.

Top Bottom