• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy 12 (NA) Thread

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AWESOME!

Just read that Gilgamesh is in this game, and not only does he use attacks from FF7-9(Squall's Lionheart et al.), but you can also steal Loto's Legendary Sword from him(DQ1-3)!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Brandon F said:
AWESOME!

Just read that Gilgamesh is in this game, and not only does he use attacks from FF7-9(Squall's Lionheart et al.), but you can also steal Loto's Legendary Sword from him(DQ1-3)!

DUDE, so is
Clash on the Big Bridge,
and Sakimoto's version is so goddamn badass that my heart fills with happiness when I hear it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Need to shove my pre-order down for this sucker soon. Should be ok with this and Wii till the start of next year.

Sallokin

duckroll said:
Yup, because now NO ONE will buy FFXII. Oh no. :(

While I'm sure FFXII will sell a couple of copies somewhere in the world, :D my point was that leaking/pirating while excellent for impatient people, ends up being bad for us. I was speaking more generally as opposed to specifically about FFXII. Hell I'm sure the amount of people who can actually get this leak to work is negligible at best.

KTallguy

Banned
Shouta said:
It's much better than the original JP version actually which I thought was relatively mediocre.

Aeana said:
I just watched that whole video, and I really have to agree--the voice acting is far and away better than the Japanese voices. .

Not trying to start any kind of flame war, but what did you find bad about the Japanese voice acting? I thought that was one of the best parts of FFXII. The english dub sounds good too though, and I am looking forward to seeing how they translated it.

Kingdom Hearts 2, on the other hand, had horrible Japanese voices for Sora and the other original characters...

Sallokin

From the videos I've seen the English voices are really good. Basch was probably my favorite character, and I think they did a great job matching him with his new VA.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Aeana said:
Piracy is terrible and evil. Just wait for the game and buy it, or you will hurt Square Enix.

I just downloaded the soundtrack, though; it's rad.

was that supposed to make sense?

mint said:
english voice acting is freaking AWESOME.

for those familiar with more of the english version of the game - is the voice acting solid throughout, or does it suffer some seriously bad moments (think DQVIII - solid overall, but certainly with moments of bad)?

I'm trying to avoid watching too many videos to avoid spoilers....

teiresias

I agree, the English voice acting sounds VERY nice, quite possibly the best I've personally heard. My only dissapointment is I wish the "rabbit lady" (sorry, don't know her name) had a deeper voice, from the first time seeing her character design I pictured her with a deeper voice than the one we've got. I'm sure I'll be fine with it after two hours though.

[EDIT] Please note, mods, I'm basing my opinion on videos, :lol, I've not even finished Okami, you think I have time to bother downloading this freaking game right now??!!

JayDubya

Banned
*excited fanboy glee*

I wonder if the collector's edition is worth it. Is the only frill that extra dvd? It looks like a metal case, too.

While we're at it, I wonder if it's too late to reserve the collector's edition.

Red Blaster said:
Extrapolating from Subsistence LE and RE4 CE, the Collector's Edition could fetch a nice sum on ebay.

I'm a huge FFXII fanboy, but I just can't justify spending the extra money on what ultimately amounts to a nicer case. Plus, I never re-sell games, so the possibility of fetching a nice sum on ebay just isn't enough to tempt me to upgrade.

Really as long as I can find a store that's doing a midnight release I'll be a happy fanboy.

bluemax

Banned
Are there any new vids showing more of Balthier's dialogue? Honestly the game will be taken down a notch if his voice acting sucks as he has THE BEST lines in the game. As it is I don't like Fran's American voice, too grating.

bluemax

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Got three more.

Balthier (AWESOME), Penelo, and Fran.

What're the tags on the Penelo and Fran posters? I never saw those on campus here.

I really should've grabbed Ashe and Vaan when I had the chance, I don't see them anywhere anymore. Actually I don't see any of the posters anymore.

MoxManiac said:
I dunno if that's a comment on FFXII's quality or not, but i'm not worried. I have my RPG GOTY in VP2:S, so even if FFXII dissapoints it's okay.

Don't get me wrong, in a genre full of mediocrity such as JRPGs, FFXII is quality. It's just that people disappointed by FFX's gameplay expecting to be blown away by FFXII are gonna be disappointed. FFX had a perfected version of turn based combat, and a decent character advancement system.

FFXII has a decent but unpolished new combat system that will benefit from future refinement, and a really crappy advancement system.

It's not bad by any stretch, it's just not gonna blow people's minds in the way they think it is.

kiryogi

Banned
Sooo, where can one find these posters for purchase? Are they on ebay? In particular I want the Ashe and Balthier posters :eek:

bluemax

Banned
I saw two Fran posters downstairs, one will be mine this week.

"Thoughts can kill"

I'm not sure if that tag is super fitting for her or not. I guess I can see where it came from...

jenov4

Red Blaster said:
Extrapolating from Subsistence LE and RE4 CE, the Collector's Edition could fetch a nice sum on ebay.

Problem with Subsistience LE is the fact that it was actually LIMITED. Unlike these other LE's where the publisher prints like a million copies of this stuff.

Mau ®

Speaking of the FFXII CE.

I'm gonna be in Mexico because Im going to Fashion Week and FFXII releases during that time. I wanna get the CE edtiion but I heard it's only a EB games deal but thjere's a store in Mexico called Gamesplanet who actually got Tenchu DS (which was an EB/GS only affair too) and they got the RE4 CE, which I think it was also exclusive.

Do you think this store will get this edition?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bluemax said:
What're the tags on the Penelo and Fran posters? I never saw those on campus here.

I really should've grabbed Ashe and Vaan when I had the chance, I don't see them anywhere anymore. Actually I don't see any of the posters anymore.

Don't get me wrong, in a genre full of mediocrity such as JRPGs, FFXII is quality. It's just that people disappointed by FFX's gameplay expecting to be blown away by FFXII are gonna be disappointed. FFX had a perfected version of turn based combat, and a decent character advancement system.

FFXII has a decent but unpolished new combat system that will benefit from future refinement, and a really crappy advancement system.

It's not bad by any stretch, it's just not gonna blow people's minds in the way they think it is.

I posted it above.

Penelo = Love is Lethal

Captain N said:
I want this game sooo badly!

I'm just hoping nothing horrible happens to me in the next ~26 days.

z28868391.jpg

Jcgamer60

I really liked ff X-2s battle system, i mostly care about the story though. If its really engaging or not.

bluemax said:

kenta

Has no PEINS
Aaaaaand we're back to non-Roman numerals.

This thread title update was brought to you by Taco Bell. Think outside the bun.

I'm not expecting FFXII's battle system to blow my mind. It didn't in the demo and it won't in the retail version. But that's not why I've been anticipating the hell out of it.

Ponn

Banned
kiryogi said:
Sooo, where can one find these posters for purchase? Are they on ebay? In particular I want the Ashe and Balthier posters :eek:

I would like to know too.

I would also like to say I can't believe the FFX hate. Maybe the voice acting could have been better, but i've heard alot worse elsewhere in both games and anime and the game overall was pretty great and a great opening showing for current gen Final Fantasy.

keanerie

brandonh83 said:
I'm not expecting FFXII's battle system to blow my mind. It didn't in the demo and it won't in the retail version. But that's not why I've been anticipating the hell out of it.

I played the hell out of the demo and have been again in anticipation - I love it, so I'm really, really, really looking forward to XII's battle system.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just wanted to drop a line and say that I'll have to wait until Christmas to play this title, and won't be able to participate in this thread until then. Keep it warm for me everyone! I'm looking forward to both this and Twilight Princess with equal furvor. It's a damn shame this game didn't come out earlier when I had more time (and fewer other games) to play.

This game should continue the brilliance that is Final Fantasy. I'm a little weird about spoilers, in that I avoid all information about games that I love...so the little I know about FFXII is what I learned in the demo and the tiny bit i skimmed through in the OP, and thus I won't even come near this thread until I have the game humming along in my original PS2. (first gen with the DRE and everything)

All that being said, what I look for will be looking for and what matters to me the most is:

1. The story. Is this a character I can get behind? Somebody I can root for? Plausible love interest? Possible backstabbing? Big scary evil thing right from the beginning?

2. Combat sytem. I've already played the demo and I'm still not convinced of the MMORPG-type thing, but I'll have to go with it. What I do want to see is how that is handled in the boss fights. I'm sure we'll get some sweet cinematics that go with those, but I'm wondering how the old style boss fights will translate into these open world ones.

3. Weapon upgrade/Leveling up system. I want to see how well this works. I really liked the Materia system in VII, but I loved the grid from X. What will they do this time? Don't tell me, I'm not really asking.

4. The little things. I want little rewards for paying attention. After all, it is a Final Fantasy game.

I'm not really asking for answers, just posting what I will be looking for as I dive into the game post-christmas (and post Twilight Princess). I hope everyone has as much fun with it as I know that I will.

EGM92

Quick question if someone wouldn't mind answering?

Does this game have a world map system like the old FF's? like FFVII/VIII where you'd travel the world on foot/air/water and you can manually go to the destination that you want or is it like FFX where you have points on a map where you go directly without traveling?

thanks.

ezekial45

Banned
EGM92 said:

Does this game have a world map system like the old FF's? like FFVII/VIII where you'd travel the world on foot/air/water and you can manually go to the destination that you want or is it like FFX where you have points on a map where you go directly without traveling?

thanks.

No. It resembles FFX, but the evenrionments are way bigger.

I'm still waiting for this game, not letting the leak bother me.

Zilch

Banned
EGM92 said:

thanks.

It's like neither of those, exactly. You can walk from area to area and it's basically like the 'wild' areas between cities/towns in an MMO: large, open, filled with monsters.

I believe the airship works the same as the one in FFX: select the destination on a 2D map.

Aeana

Zilch said:
I believe the airship works the same as the one in FFX: select the destination on a 2D map.

It does, but you can only visit a few places with the airship. Your primary method of 'quick travel' is
using gate crystals, which are special savepoints that allow you to teleport between them by using teleport stones.
Not really a spoiler, but just in case.

EGM92

Alright, thanks for the help. I was REALLY hoping for the old style travel system hopefully they put that it in XIII... *Wishful thinking*

I'm going to order a CE from EB tomorrow, when's the release date for the game?

kenta

Has no PEINS
EGM92 said:
I'm going to order a CE from EB tomorrow, when's the release date for the game?
Scarlet went through all that trouble making the original post and you don't even bother to read it

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels

How was the LG crappy and the SG decent? LG is like a more customisable version of the Job Class system. It could have been implemented much better, but I wouldn't say it's crappy. The system itself actually helps you to spread your characters through the grid because of the Mist Knacks. With the huge variety of magic spells and equipment, you can make the characters very different from each other. It's only problem is late in the game, when you can learn every license. But even then, as long as you keep different gambits and equipments to each character, they still don't feel clones. The SG forces you to check the menu after every battle, and most of the time, the SG paths are very linear. It's like a manual leveling up system for most of the game, and near the end, you get around 20-99 S.Levels per battle and make your characters over-powered clone-gods in a couple of hours.

Also, you forgot to mention that FFXII is actually challenging, unlike FFX (excluding the sub-bosses), thus it's much more strategical. The challenge is a huge factor in any gameplay. What's the point of having so many spells and abilities if you can kill every enemy in one hit and every strong enemy or strong boss with overdrives/limit breaks or other overpowered attacks? How cares if FFX's battle system is more polished if all you need to do in battle to win is to kill 90% of the enemies in one hit with the right character and kill most of the bosses by using overdrives, mainly the ones from Aeons?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Does anybody know what sets the Collector's Edition guide apart from the regular edition? Other than $10?

Aeana

Guileless said:
Does anybody know what sets the Collector's Edition guide apart from the regular edition? Other than $10?

I have heard that it is leather-bound/hardback, but I don't know if that's true or not.

keanerie

Going to go switch my pre-order from the regular to LE. I actually am impartial to the art, but I'm certainly partial to nice packaging.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Grivenger said:
How was the LG crappy and the SG decent? LG is like a more customisable version of the Job Class system. It could have been implemented much better, but I wouldn't say it's crappy. The system itself actually helps you to spread your characters through the grid because of the Mist Knacks. With the huge variety of magic spells and equipment, you can make the characters very different from each other. It's only problem is late in the game, when you can learn every license. But even then, as long as you keep different gambits and equipments to each character, they still don't feel clones. The SG forces you to check the menu after every battle, and most of the time, the SG paths are very linear. It's like a manual leveling up system for most of the game, and near the end, you get around 20-99 S.Levels per battle and make your characters over-powered clone-gods in a couple of hours.
The sphere grid's real interest comes not from the generic spheres, but the White Magic/Black Magic/Abililty/Friend/Move spheres that allow you to take basically set in stone characters (if you're playing on the standard grid) and really expand on them. The License Grid almost doesn this with the Mist Knacks but it

Also, you forgot to mention that FFXII is actually challenging, unlike FFX (excluding the sub-bosses), thus it's much more strategical. The challenge is a huge factor in any gameplay. What's the point of having so many spells and abilities if you can kill every enemy in one hit and every strong enemy or strong boss with overdrives/limit breaks or other overpowered attacks? How cares if FFX's battle system is more polished if all you need to do in battle to win is to kill 90% of the enemies in one hit with the right character and kill most of the bosses by using overdrives, mainly the ones from Aeons?
Ah, no. See just because it's challenge does not make it more strategical. FFX had tons of strategy, which, if you followed helped ease the fights a lot. There were still pleanty of tough fights boss fights, though and random battles went fairly fast assuming you knew which strategies to use. FFXII's challenge really feels artificial in comparison, but I can't yet make a full remark on this because I've yet to be able to get through the game without giving up from boredom.

rager

Banned
I so can't wait for this game. I hope it has tons of replay value and lots of things to find and use. I am such a FF junkie. :D

rager said:
I so can't wait for this game. I hope it has tons of replay value and lots of things to find and use. I am such a FF junkie. :D

Let's put it this way, I'm afraid to start the game a month before Christmas break. :lol

Im glad the voice acting is good. I mean if somebody dies or somebody says they're in love, you're supposed to HEAR it. At least in a Final Fantasy game :D

Top Bottom