• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

shintoki said:
I am ready for Bleach every single week now
1zv3dqt.gif

Too damn good. :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Sipowicz said:
yeah, and then other times he's remarkably brave. he's a coward when he needs to be. that's why he's a juicy character

A lot of people are calling him a coward, but there is a huge difference between not afraid of dying & not wanting to die.

Blackbeard, not wanting to die, obviously said that to Whitebeard to not have him kill him. He would have been stupid not to.
The fact he went up to Whitebeard alone to straight up confront him shows he is not afraid of dying.

Another example is Ace, he proved he wasn't afraid of dying, but was also incredibly stupid & died when he could have easily lived through the battle.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Mangastream may have really high resolution scans, but the ones on Onemanga have better translations.

Just comparing the Bleach chapter for example, so much stuff makes more sense in the onemanga scan than the mangastream one.

neoanarch

Bakuman

The art was off this chapter. This is either some form of meta trolling by Obata or he let his assistants do most of the work.

I also didn't think Mashiro would have such a huge reaction. I hope they don't drop Tanto though. Because that would mean another couple of chapters of the same old coming up with an idea and trying to get it published. Plus with the wedding coming up I don't think they'll want to walk away from serialization anyway.

gdt

Man, what a great One Piece. That just about marks half-way I think.

And yeah, BB is an awesome big bad....very much like Luffy in most ways.

Bring on the Strawhats!

Edit: Meh Naruto.

Sipowicz

Banned
FTWer said:
Another example is Ace, he proved he wasn't afraid of dying, but was also incredibly stupid & died when he could have easily lived through the battle.

ace was too emotional

if he was more level headed like Teach he would never have been captured, and even if he was he would haave escaped fairly easily

smurfx

get some go again
watervengeance said:
Oda sure went out of his way to show that Blackbeard's pretty much a pussy without his DF powers. He got whooped by Magellan easily last time and almost got two-shotted by Whitebeard this time.
you know he did manage to kill thatch without his DF powers and he also managed to scar shanks the way he did. we haven't really seen what blackbeard can do at all. right now he is solely depending on his df powers and we haven't seen what his fighting style was before his df. he is like califa after she got her df. she relied on it way to much and got defeated by nami because of it. she could of easily defeated nami but got distracted by her new df. same thing applies to blackbeard.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
smurfx said:
you know he did manage to kill thatch without his DF powers and he also managed to scar shanks the way he did. we haven't really seen what blackbeard can do at all. right now he is solely depending on his df powers and we haven't seen what his fighting style was before his df. he is like califa after she got her df. she relied on it way to much and got defeated by nami because of it. she could of easily defeated nami but got distracted by her new df. same thing applies to blackbeard.
I forgot about that :O

Blackbeard am vindicated!

Late edit: Really, I totally forgot that Shanks warned WB about Teach.

Liar Game

I figured there had to be a twist to the musical chairs game. Wonder if the old guy is gonna show his skill here or when the real game begins.

There are two points people are forgetting about BB's power...

Its not really the power of gravity....its the power of blackholes....well it takes the fundamentals of gravity, attraction, but his main power is black hole. Black holes are not infinite in suction power, but there tidal forces at the event horizon are determined by density (schwarzschild radius etc). They can apparently dissipate and energy has been postulated to escape under certain circumstances. Ie its not an infinite god power that surpasses all else. A car sized black hole could hardly effect the growth and demise of a supergiant star... It doesn't indicate infinite power.

OP powers are based loosely on real powers. In reality, magma would never burn through fire. Fire has no upward limit in temperture. WB's power is not even based on reality. He has the ability to crack reality, which I think would make it surpass BB's power in potential anyway. I mean, there is not even any type of frame of reference to apply limits to such a power.

Pimpwerx

nelsonroyale said:
There are two points people are forgetting about BB's power...

Its not really the power of gravity....its the power of blackholes....well it takes the fundamentals of gravity, attraction, but his main power is black hole. Black holes are not infinite in suction power, but there tidal forces at the event horizon are determined by density (schwarzschild radius etc). They can apparently dissipate and energy has been postulated to escape under certain circumstances. Ie its not an infinite god power that surpasses all else. A car sized black hole could hardly effect the growth and demise of a supergiant star... It doesn't indicate infinite power.

OP powers are based loosely on real powers. In reality, magma would never burn through fire. Fire has no upward limit in temperture. WB's power is not even based on reality. He has the ability to crack reality, which I think would make it surpass BB's power in potential anyway. I mean, there is not even any type of frame of reference to apply limits to such a power.
Which devil fruit did you eat? Because you, my friend, have just blown my mind. PEACE.

Apath

cosmicblizzard said:
Liar Game

I figured there had to be a twist to the musical chairs game. Wonder if the old guy is gonna show his skill here or when the real game begins.
Yep. It'll be interesting to see how the game is actually a true to form liar game, and not an athletic event.

Much better than the last game, so far at least.

Kreed

One Piece:

It seems lately the best One Piece chapters are the ones where we get actual story details, even when they are only minor hints. I'm not really sure how I feel about Blackbeard getting almost killed by Whitebeard. On one hand it was a nice surprise and was a nice final "hurrah" for Whitebeard to beat him down like that. Plus it was another way to show Blackbeard's nature in comparison to Whitebeard so it was still a good thing to do. But on the other hand it doesn't help build up Blackbeard in the least, especially when Blackbeard will never get a chance to redeem himself against Whitebeard strength wise, regardless of how much his abilities grow over the series. But considering Whitebeard proved there's no one stronger than him in the world of One Piece in this battle, I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

But this was a fitting end for Whitebeard, although it would have been nice if the Whitebeard pirates had done some real damage to the marines considering they lost their two most important crew members and the only thing the marines lost was a bit of pride. I'm hoping we'll get to see hints of the Level 6 prisoner abilities before the arc ends.

Bakuman:

It's looking more and more like Eiji will use his "cancel one manga" card on Tanto, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and Saiko and Shujin just drop the series on their own accord. Regardless I thought this chapter was really strong thanks to the stronger focus on the manga vs "relationship issues".

Gantz:

The Gantz balls being used by players was definitely a surprise. Now I wonder why no one attempted to do that before and free themselves from the game?

But since these guys have control of the Gantz balls, why are they only using them to send Kurono and others into the enemy camp? Why not produce some more weapons for them to fight with? Or bring back some of the dead players locked into Gantz' memory as additional troops, among other things? Eh well, I'm looking forward ot this battle and seeing what two Kurono's can do/who else shows up.

Kekkaishi:

A nice twist at the end of this chapter. In fact this whole chapter was a nice surprise from the norm. But now I'm expecting when the "real enemies" show up that they will be way more intimidating than these guys pretended to be.

Claymore:

I wish the characters would go back to focusing on the giant twin monster shooting offspring everywhere vs this one sided Claire vs Priscilla fight. A least it looks like that fight will be ending soon with the "back up Claymores" showing up.

Liar Game:

Not really thrilled with the idea of the characters playing Music Chairs, but then again the Pandemic game sounded way more exciting than it actually turned out so maybe the reverse is true here. I'm guessing the others being "scenery" will play a big factor in the game as well.

Vagabond:

I'm starting to wonder if Musashi is ever going to heal his leg. All these "dream sequence" chapters and him limping/running from fights is getting old as well. Hopefully they'll start showing Musashi on the way to recovery or change the focus back to Kojiro soon.

Fairy Tail:

The sooner Natsu and friends get their magic back the better. Almost all these "alternate world" characters have been disappointments. I'm actually looking forward to Mistgun/Gerald showing up.

Hunter X Hunter:

Worst chapter of Hunter X Hunter I've ever read, including the ones that were nothing but chicken scratches. If you had told me this chapter came from the "I hate Hunter X Hunter" forums I would have believed it.

ArjanN

Kreed said:
Hunter X Hunter:

Worst chapter of Hunter X Hunter I've ever read, including the ones that were nothing but chicken scratches. If you had told me this chapter came from the "I hate Hunter X Hunter" forums I would have believed it.

Hell no. That was a great chapter. While I was reading it I was thinking how lame a chapter like this would have been in Naruto or Bleach where it would just have been played straight.

bjork

smurfx said:

Where was it ever said that he did either without his DF powers?

Also, something I didn't catch the first time:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/576/04/

Is he saying other people got out too? Possibly Bon?

Pimpwerx

bjork said:

Also, something I didn't catch the first time:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/576/04/

Is he saying other people got out too? Possibly Bon?
A number of people read it as that, but I read it as Laffitte referring to the ship that Luffy and crew came through on. While we wondered who opened the gates for them, it turns out Oda used hypnomagic to do the trick. I thought Laffitte was a zoan, though. I wonder what kind of zoan he is, and if hypnosis is tied to it. PEACE.

Steroyd

bjork said:

He killed thatch for the sole purpose of getting that specific DF fruit, with that said they were allies, so he could have just stuck a knife in his back when thatch had his back turned, rather than a head on challenge.

I think Shanks made a remark about his scar relating to BB when he was talking about him to WB, that would put it after he recieved his DF.

Pimpwerx

josephdebono said:
Well BB killed Thatch in order to get the DF so that's pretty much self explanatory. Also, Shanks has had the scar for ages, (it was his flag when Luffy was a kid,) and the DF was a recent event so that pretty much proves that as well.

Sauce: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/12/
That kinda implies that BB was on Shanks and Mihawk's level, if not higher. If he'd killed Shanks, his notoriety would have shot through the roof, sabotaging his chances of getting that fruit. And since Shanks had that wound from when Luffy was a boy, BB has been pretty badass for a long time.

I don't see how getting owned by WB diminishes him too much. WB owned Akainu even harder. At least BB was able to move after. WB just held off the entire marines by himself. PEACE.

Sipowicz

Banned
yeah, basically Shanks got the scar from Teach when he was with whitebeard. He says that he got the scar from "one of yours" to whitebeard (referring to teach) so it would have been prior to getting the devil fruit

he also says it wasn't a sneak attack so it was a one on one fight

+ the whole time thing

qcf x2

Kreed said:
Claymore:

I wish the characters would go back to focusing on the giant twin monster shooting offspring everywhere vs this one sided Claire vs Priscilla fight. A least it looks like that fight will be ending soon with the "back up Claymores" showing up.

I'm pretty sure that in this chapter Claire says that the twin monster has stopped.

Kreed

Claymore:

qcf x2 said:
I'm pretty sure that in this chapter Claire says that the twin monster has stopped.

You may want to reread the chapter again. Claire nor anyone else even mentions the merged twin monster, and Claire only talks about why she won't awaken in order to fight Priscilla, followed by Helen and Deneve speaking about the "wedge".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DAM. The last Naruto Shippuden Chapter was atrocious. And I normaly have good tolerance for this kind of things...

Lonely1 said:
DAM. The last Naruto Shippuden Chapter was atrocious. And I normaly have good tolerance for this kind of things...

Naruto shippuden is the anime, Naruto is the manga, I know im nitpicking but it's just annoying along with people that call the Dragonball manga Dragon Ball Z...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
mysticwhip said:
Naruto shippuden is the anime, Naruto is the manga, I know im nitpicking but it's just annoying along with people that call the Dragonball manga Dragon Ball Z...
Well, im talking about the anime here.

Steroyd

watervengeance said:
Has there been a good fight in the filler arc yet?

Naruto tries too hard to be a drama, than a show about fucking ninja's, I could argue that the manga is attempting the same thing based off the latest chapter.

Jayge

Psyren

I almost feel like people are going to start... actually dying now. Up until this point the story has basically been an accumulate-powers-and-let-the-universe-save-your-ass-repeatedly and now Yoshina is stupid enough to think he can confront Miroku on his own.

qcf x2

Kreed said:
Claymore:

You may want to reread the chapter again. Claire nor anyone else even mentions the merged twin monster, and Claire only talks about why she won't awaken in order to fight Priscilla, followed by Helen and Deneve speaking about the "wedge".

You're right, my bad. I usually re-read the previous chapter when the new ones are out since it's so long of a wait between and I tend to forget things...but yeah, it was in the previous chapter.

DonMigs85

Steroyd said:
Naruto tries too hard to be a drama, than a show about fucking ninja's, I could argue that the manga is attempting the same thing based off the latest chapter.
I think the next chapter will be mostly action, then we'll soon see Itachi's ghost pop out of Naruto's mouth to talk to Sasuke.

Steroyd

I'm glad I decided to skip this one then. That last one pushed the limits of my patience.

Crystal Ninja arc? That was woeful.

I miss part 1's filler, at least it doesn't regurgatate about how Naruto understands [insert ninja] being exhiled and hated from [insert village] all the time.

It annoys me more, because the filler in Shippuuden was a good chance to flesh out Asuma's backstory before the Kakuzu/Hidan arc, but we got some shitty psuedo 9 Tail Fox rip off, or go more into the 3 Tails before it got captured but no it was all about that crystal ninja and how every female ninja in Konoha is collectively useless, and now we're into this filler where I've already lost the will to care.

At least I've got my cousin on Pain arc watch.

Sipowicz

Banned
The real test for Blackbeard comes now

Whitebeard was a beast. But now he's got to take on the marines (minus aokiji) and the shichibukai (minus croc and jimbei)

I dont know what the hell he's going to do but he's nowehere strong enough to win this one. he's going to have to outsmart them somehow

Pimpwerx said:
I don't see how getting owned by WB diminishes him too much. WB owned Akainu even harder. At least BB was able to move after. WB just held off the entire marines by himself. PEACE.

exactly. BB underestimated whitebeard and overestimated his pwoer but he took a direct hit from WB's bisento and was still standing

on the one hand he got owned easily by Magellan and WB though that was largely down to his own stupidity. On the other hand he took a yonkou head on and scarred him for life, completely destroyed fire fist ace and has achieved more than any other pirate in one piece to date

very, very interesting character

Steroyd said:
Crystal Ninja arc? That was woeful.

I miss part 1's filler, at least it doesn't regurgatate about how Naruto understands [insert ninja] being exhiled and hated from [insert village] all the time.

It annoys me more, because the filler in Shippuuden was a good chance to flesh out Asuma's backstory before the Kakuzu/Hidan arc, but we got some shitty psuedo 9 Tail Fox rip off, or go more into the 3 Tails before it got captured but no it was all about that crystal ninja and how every female ninja in Konoha is collectively useless, and now we're into this filler where I've already lost the will to care.

At least I've got my cousin on Pain arc watch.

The Psuedo Tailed Beast arc is the only one that I consider barely watchable.

Kreed

Claymore:

qcf x2 said:
You're right, my bad. I usually re-read the previous chapter when the new ones are out since it's so long of a wait between and I tend to forget things...but yeah, it was in the previous chapter.

The creature hasn't permanently stopped firing spawn, it's just stopped temporarily. The creature shoots spawn in "groups" and Claire and friends were calculating how often the creature fires and how it fires right before Priscilla showed up.

Steroyd

I think it's been somewhat discussed before, but doesn't BB take extra daamage from attacks due to the nature of his fruit? Made a bigger deal than most from getting hit by WB's weapon.

Althane

Steroyd said:
I think it's been somewhat discussed before, but doesn't BB take extra daamage from attacks due to the nature of his fruit? Made a bigger deal than most from getting hit by WB's weapon.

I think his thing is that unlike other Logia types, he can't transform to avoid attacks (Like Ace and Crocodile can). And if you send a blast at him when he's using his powers (to pull you in), it'll hit him even harder (your force + the pulling force he's exerting).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom